IMDb > The Last of the Mohicans (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Last of the Mohicans

The Last of the Mohicans More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 37: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

I love this movie...

Author: teleplain from United States
28 December 2006

This will always be one of my favorite movies. It is a bit graphic, what with Colonel Munro's death, but the acting is superb, the locations are beautiful, and the music is absolutely amazing. This is the kind of movie that can change my mood for days because of it's 'real' qualities. It's not a perfect little fairy tale where everyone lives happily ever after. In fact, not everyone lives! Granted, I was a little upset about Uncas' death, since he was my favorite character, but it's still a marvelous piece of film-making. Magua, the antagonist, is someone that is extremely fun to hate. Hawkeye, Uncas, and Chingachgook all maintain qualities of good people, as well as having traits that contribute to their realistic personalities. Many of these characters are dynamic and not all of them change in a way that I would view as 'good'. The characters have the qualities of real people, which adds to this movie's depth.

Clichéd and shallow

Author: ace100 from Cambridge, UK
12 November 2004

This was a movie of clichés: arrogant and cold British Army, hard-working and decent Colonial farming folk. Native Americans are portrayed here interestingly as both the ruthless savage and noble harmonious types. Shallow characters are wrapped around an improbable story entailing a thoroughly unconvincing love story, with some god-awful dialogue thrown in ("You must live! Whatever happens, I'll find you!").

The movie is interesting if you're a fan of the genre, but does not stand out as an exceptional piece of movie-making or storytelling. The all-location backdrops are beautiful, and I enjoyed the music score. Otherwise, don't expect too much.

A Wonderus film

Author: MoSD from New York
25 April 2003

Last of the Mohicans was one of the most surprising films I have seen in a long time, The reason for it being such a surprise is because it has never gotten the credit in which it deserves. Michael Mann the director, definately went through each and every step of the film and knew exactly what he wanted and he did this to perfection. Not only is the cinemetography absolutly amazing and quite possible one of the ten best looking films of all time, but the soundtrack and music backing up the pictures are absolutly amazing. I found myself getting into the music and in fact have gone to sleep many times to the soundtrack. On top of all of the wonderful music and scenary, the story and entertainment level of this movie is amazing. I love this movie and recomend it to any one who loves watching nearly perfect films.

Little is More on the Romance side

Author: katielubsobi from GA, USA
19 April 2003

'Last of the Mohicans' is a beautifully done film. The scenery is lovely, the music beautiful, and the actors well cast. Most of the script was very well written as well. There are a few cliche parts to it, but since the rest of the film is so good, you tend to let them go.

The thing I liked most about this film? The romantic undertones between Uncas and Alice. It felt deeper and truer than the Hawkeye and Cora thing. There's something amazing and real about a romance as gentle and untouched as the one between Uncas and Alice. Wonderfully done. I really wish it had ended differently though. Tragedy is beautiful, but happiness is better.

if you could only have one . . .

Author: Greg Mullins from Boca Raton, FL
14 April 2009

This is my very favorite film! As much as I like Gladiator and Troy, they always seem so distant. Perhaps this being closer to our time and fought on our turf, just before we set off on our own as a nation - it speaks more to me. Only Mel Gibson and The Patriot come close to the excellence in cinema that tells of this time. Like a lot of guys, I am easily won over by big, epic, sweeping, romantic stories of war and heroism - I enjoy them immensely. This is the one I enjoy the most.

I think in part it's because all of the tribes at war here, are presented in a favorable light. The French and the British, Mohawk and Huron, the settlers and colonists - you like all of them! There are bad guys too, but it's the Noble men that stand out. And there are noble men and the showing of honor throughout. I'm sure Mr. Cooper's great telling of a good story has a lot to do with it - the writers always do. But it's the movie we're talking about.

It might just be my imagination, but it seems that Michael Mann always does something with the lighting. I think it goes all the way back to his Miami Vice days. It seems to affect the intimacy, or the way we view the people. But I could be wrong. His two best films are this one and Heat. With the greatest shootout anywhere being the one in Heat. Daniel Day Lewis wore the part of Hawkeye as though it had been tailor made. What an excellent performance. But then he's famous for the study he puts into his characters.

There are some seemingly smart strong people in every group presented here, no one tribe has all the virtue. In that sense, they are equals - a rarity in storytelling and movie making. So much of history is crowded with the master and servant relationship that also ends up in much of our literature. And there is always an element of truth to that, but it's not the whole truth. Don't forget, it's the winners who always write the history. Seldom does a conquerer speak well of a vanquished foe.

The character of Chingachgook, the older Mohawk and former chief, has got the coolest weapon in the form of a Mohawk throwing axe. It's so big it looks like a rifle when it's slung over his back, but it's not.

This is not at all a Western, which occupies a unique time period in our history between the end of the Civil War and the early 1900's. One hundred years before there was ever a west to have cowboys in - there was the Frontier and frontiersmen. A completely different time, place and people - not related to the cowboy. This is their say, let them have it.

It all takes place during the time that the British and French are fighting for control over the fur trade in the north all the way up into Canada, and the sugar trade all the way down south into the Caribbean. Sometimes wars are about the land, but many times they're about the money coming from the resources. This is one of those times, and the heat of the battle over this money is the French and Indian War - at least on land. Which covers the period of our story. You never hear that in movies or novels, but that is the history of it. When left to themselves, Cain will always kill Abel - over something.

I leave it on that note as it ties in perfectly with the sense of remorse and longing we're left with from the story. But you'll have to watch this most excellent movie for yourself to see what any of that means. I don't think you'll be disappointed. It is a rich tale, a grand sweeping romantic action adventure epic, a satisfying movie, and a most beautiful one at that.

An astonishingly realised and beautifully crafted modern epic

Author: salacious-loquacious from Ireland
23 November 2008

Michael Mann's The Last of the Mohicans is often overlooked when lists of great movies are compiled but this is a film of such astonishing beauty and raw energy that it deserves to be reassessed. From the opening frame to the closing shots this modern epic satisfies on every level, resonating with heart and scale, drama and action. It is a film of haunting beauty and profound feeling with a pace that is unequalled in the genre. It positively oozes charisma.

The cast disappear into their roles, and for a period film that is now over 15 years old there isn't the slightest hint of it dating. There is nothing superfluous here but nothing is left wanting either. This is a credit to the skill of the entire crew. Everything works - the locations, sets, costumes, editing, sound, music, tone, writing, direction, performances, everything. Daniel Day-Lewis and Madeleine Stowe generate chemistry with rich but scant material, while the other main players give such refined performances that the viewer is simply swept along. And this film is sweeping in every sense. Whatever the accuracy in comparison with the original text, this film becomes a text in its own right and is so delicately crafted and magnificently edited that the final scenes play with virtually no dialogue, and powerfully so. This has a lot to do with the stunning score - the last ten minutes demonstrating all aspects of cinema operating on the highest level - as it reinforces the primal beat and rhythm of the piece while still maintaining a colonial heart and hauntingly epic sweep.

The Last of the Mohicans is a thrilling, fierce adventure tempered with attention to historical detail, heightened yet not melodramatic emotion and a sympathetic yet seethingly tense depiction of the time. An adventure epic with a lot of soul and heart. It's time for Mann to return to the epic genre and demonstrate once again what he can do as evidenced by this overlooked classic. Highly recommended.

Beautiful, Adventurus, Passionate... simply Gorgeous!

Author: anexartitoi from Greece
2 February 2008

I have firstly watched this movie in 1992 while ten more times have followed since. The same feelings appears every time. This is a film that combines, a perfect mix of adventure, action, drama and romance, equally balanced and I assure you, it will crab you from the early beginning and drive you to the end to a very beautiful journey of mixed feelings. The indescribably, unbelievably exquisite music is I may say the "salt and spices" of the Last of the Mohicans, being not just an escort to the film but truly manages to lift it into something unique.

The astonishing slow motion scenes, a silent action amalgamate, full of love, pain, courage, desperation and revenge towards the end, will make you feel like holding a tomahawk, a carbine and... I stop here, see the movie! Michael Mann surely did a great job

and I hope he will be able to create such a masterpiece again in the future. Danny -as always- at his best. I really believe that this film wouldn't be what it is today if Danny (as usual) wasn't a part of it. Stowe (playing Cora) delivers a fine performance of elegance, beauty and passion altogether. Even supporting cast like Eric Schweig (Uncas-son) or Russell Means (Chingachgook-father) seems to be carefully selected as they all seem to give their best, look and act real while they help to the development of their characters.

This part (The character-development, which I never really understood why ONLY this should be every time the element that defines a good and a bad movies, but anyway...) is sufficiently deep in my personal opinion. Afterall I don't think that you will spend not even a second during and MAINLY after the movie to even think if this is correct or not, or if this scene would be appropriate and etc... Damn, I now realize how difficult is to express your own feelings about a masterpiece that you loved and make others who haven't seen it yet, to run, rent/buy and watch it! But this is what a perfect movie (for me at least!) should probably make you feel.

Finally, I really can't understand why it's not on the top 250, as on the same moment you can see there movies like Ratatouille, Hot Fuzz, American Gangster and etc. With respect to these good movies, I just can't accept the absence of Last of the Mohican -at least- in the top 250 of all time. OK, maybe I'm not so inter-subjective, but I suggest those who haven't watched it until now, see it and then vote and put it where it belongs!

emotionally gut-wrenching

Author: lurch-17 from hawaii
22 July 2003

Stowe's performance and Mann's direction should have won academy awards along with the haunting score (which did). I am amazed at Mann's ability to draw out such emotion with action, music, cinematography while few words are spoken.

Stowe's scenes alone with D.D. Lewis were memorable - especially her 'soul stirring' lines.

The guns sounded real, the actors were not acting, the settings and cinematography were riveting, and the celtic score constantly pulled you in.

Jodhi May's and Steve Waddington's final scenes still makes me cry after having seen them twenty times. Wes Studi's sincere and unfaltering hatred, coupled with Russell Mean's innocence and lack of polish, made these characters seem not only real but plausible.

The four-way three-language 'hearing' in the Huron village, at first difficult to follow, is so cleverly written, played and emotionally charged it stands out as a one-of-a-kind scene in cinema history.

Owning the DVD, I have shown this to various family members and friends. All were spellbound from beginning to end.

Beautiful...

Author: yespis from Sweden
2 February 2003

One of the most beautiful movies I ever seen. The scenery is fantastic and the music makes my heart beat faster.

This is a quite good version of the book and the actors bring the characters alive in a very good way.

The battles and the lovestory is just right.

Feelings. War. Justice. Love.

Must be seen...

What a fantastic movie.

Author: Sundance26 from Edinburgh, Scotland
15 November 2002

I could go on about this movie forever, so I'll try to keep it simple.

This is a fantastic movie.

Now, purists will complain about the historical accuracy, because they are more concerned with history than the making of a good movie. So ignore them. :) For the most part, the history is accurate. And the things that were given up for the sake of good filmmaking and plot, you wouldn't even notice.

Above all else, this is a BEAUTIFUL film. My brother commented once that 70% of the movie was the scenery. It's just breathtaking. The colors and the mist, and the cliffs... accompanied by an also breathtaking soundtrack, it's just beautiful. This has been the only movie that I've ever seen, where ever time I hear the soundtrack, I want to see the movie again, right that moment. By the end of the movie, a simple violin tune is enough to evoke some pretty strong emotions from you. It's incredible. (I also recommend the soundtrack, btw.)

Daniel Day-Lewis conquered his British accent pretty damn well, to adopt his english indian one. And his eyes just dance throughout the whole thing. And besides a few mildly funny instances where his long hair whaps him in the face while he's running... he really does a great job. Madeline Stowe is a beautiful woman, and made a great Cora. What happens to her, her sister, and her family... 'heartwrenching' wouldn't do it justice. It makes you hold your breath.

I'm going on and on... but yes. A beautiful film, rightly in the top 100 greatest movies ever made. I gave it 9/10.