IMDb > The Last of the Mohicans (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Last of the Mohicans

The Last of the Mohicans More at IMDbPro »

Page 19 of 39: [Prev][14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [Next]

excellent

Author: isabelle-laroche from Canada
16 June 2007

This movie reach so many inner emotion. love the music, images, casting, story,... I love the entire movie. Bravo! I saw this movie in a cinema in the 90's in USA. I didn't understand nothing of the language because it was in English and I spoke only french at this time. I just felt the emotion, listen the music, watching the movie,.......... ........... ............. ............... ........... ............... I understood everything. That s amazing! I think a saw this movie 20 or 30 times from this moment in french and in English and it always have the same effect on me. The emotions are very strong............... ................... ......................... ....................... ..................... ................ ........... I like the fact that the movie had been realized on a true story. That had referred to the American history classes I learned at school many years ago. And the romantic relation between the heroes goes reach the emotion. The music it is also very strong and increase the emotion. Bravo! that is a success and one of my 3 favorite movies

''goof,'' to me

Author: heritage716 from United States
15 April 2007

Loved the movie. But hasn't anyone else noticed--New Yorkers that is,,,that there are no mountain laurels up here? At least I think that is what they were. The pines? Sorry, but we don't have half of that flora portrayed in that movie. Those mountains, even I noticed, that it was probably filmed in North Carolina, which looks so much like New York State. I think it was the laurels that got me the most, and the mountains. While it's beautiful up here, we just don't have that scenery. I guess that's just a central NYer making her comments. Originally, I thought it was because the weather is so cloudy and rainy here. NOT because of how the so-called Adirondacks look. Mann, you should see my back yard! They just aren't the same. What was more original, the movie "Dirty Dancing" being filmed in that same part of North Carolina. Now that really looked like the Catskills.

Wonderful atmospheric film

Author: steve_v98 from United Kingdom
2 April 2007

This film is all about the loss of innocence and the passing away of an older world under the influence of the growth of a global culture. I find the depiction of the war between the English and the French over the spoils of the wilderness of north America and its peoples, evokes strong emotions. The north Americans are by no means 'innocent' of the concepts of war, retribution and hate. But they were totally unprepared for the mechanised, industrial violence and betrayal that came with the Europeans to their land. And, of course, the Europeans, having used Indian against Indian in their struggles against each other, finally turned on the native peoples and wiped them out. Most have disappeared now, along with their forests, plains, animals and gods. So it may sound pretentious to say that a film like Last Of The Mohicans can 'represent' all of these events and emotions - but it does, and with its terrific musical score the pace never lags either. The way Hawkeye is shown as one of the very few Europeans who can comprehend the value of what north America was before the European invasion is very intelligent. He is wise but ultimately cannot affect the inevitable outcome of this monumental clash of cultures. Therein lies the immense sadness of the film and perhaps its uplifting side too, as even in the most tragic of circumstances it's shown that it's possible to find individual wisdom and heroism. When I first saw it I loved the story, the action, the score, the fine performances. You will too. Then see it again - give it a year or two to sink in first. You'll begin to see the many different levels at which it can be enjoyed.

short and to the point,...hopefully.

Author: katina from australia
25 October 2002

my third favorite film,behind aliens and silence of the lambs,breathtaking in scope and flawless in all elements.outstanding acting,photography and direction topped by a truly amazing musical score.michael mann must rank as one of the top two or three directors working today.

Lovely.

Author: mikeeoo
24 October 2002

I loved this film. Granted, I'm a big Dan Day Lewis fan, but still-

Michael Mann perfectly captured the beauty and horror of the James

Fenimore Cooper novel. This is another, if rare, example of a film maker

bringing out the strengths of a classic work of literature.

Mr. Lewis is strong, silent, tortured and every gesture, every nuance is

absolutely perfect, and on top of it all- respectful of the great novel

that this movie is based on.

I was also pleasantly surprised with Madeleine Stowe, I'd never really

been a great fan of hers before, but I am now.

And the director and cameraman did work that will take your breath away.

If you rent this, you will not be sorry.

Fantastically Done...

Author: Alice (Baby_Im_A_Star_88) from Canada
18 October 2002

I just finished watching this in my history class and it is one of if not the best movie in this genre. The realism in it is very moving and I love how the Natives are given depth and positively portrayed!! .. very rare. Wes Studi stands out as the best character in the film, he plays Magua and shines brightly doing it. I would definitely recommend it!

The Only Way to Experience This Story

Author: OttoVonB from Switzerland
7 October 2002

Michael Mann is synonymous with a steely, urban kind of cool, perhaps because of the enduring influence of films like Heat and the Insider, or the seminal Miami Vice show. On paper, it's strange to find him at the helm of a romantic period adventure film, especially an adaptation of Cooper's classic story, but that would be missing a key ingredient to Mann's success: he is a method director, first and foremost.

Last of the Mohicans is a perfect blend of old and new. In many ways it hearkens back not just to its written origins, but past film adaptations, tales of simple heroism, which it makes relevant and immediate in powerful ways - not just the scale and heartbreaking photography, but especially Trevor Jones' now legendary score. In other ways, it is a very modern animal, layered and avoiding easy allegiances beyond its idealistic main character, and it's in these small details that one sees what makes Mohicans such a superior film.

There is a love story, and whether through casting, performance or his subtle conducting, Mann makes it not just immediately appealing, but believable. Same goes for another understated love among secondary characters, and the pathos and pain of villain Magua (Wes Studi), a creature that could have been a cardboard cutout in lesser hands. The same reasoning applies throughout, and though he provides ample spectacle - particularly a spectacular, near-wordless 15-minute closing chase - Michael Mann never does so at the expense of believability or the story he is serving. You will find none of Braveheart's cartoony romance or the Patriot's excess.

In making his method historical epic, Michael Mann also found the ideal partner in Daniel Day-Lewis, someone you would sadly no longer consider as a romantic lead, but who is simply astonishing here. With one single foray into the genre, the great performer gives us the definitive word on it, proving his quality by disappearing once more into a character who would be impossible to look away from, were it not for the excellence on display in every other department.

This is an epic with such intimacy, power and heart as you have rarely, if ever, seen.

Deserves to be in the top 5, this movie is highly underrated

Author: (wild_imper@hotmail.com) from USA, Tennessee
22 September 2002

After seeing the rating of this movie, I was in complete and utter amazement. Daniel Day Lewis did a fantastic job. I think the director did a wonderful job. The combination of War and Love make this movie one of the Greatest of all times. If you liked Braveheart, The Gladiator, I seriously recommend you see this movie. Or you'll miss out on Daniel Day Lewis at his best. 10x better then John Proctor...

A subtle, dramatic masterpiece--opulent in simplicity (but only the VHS version)

Author: the_other_kinsey_institute from Oklahoma, USA
16 September 2002

The makers of this film understood that a picture really is worth a thousand words.

Unlike most other movies, it does not rely as heavily upon dialogue, which gives it an unspoken power--a true presence. It gives the film an overall tone of openness, similar to the feeling one gets upon seeing a beautifully detailed, but uncluttered painting. The film's silence is its greatest strength, requiring precise performances on behalf of the actors and some excellent camera work. The result is a film that speaks to emotions on a much closer, more primitive level. With a less-talented cast, the film would have been corny or overly melodramatic. As is, it's breathtaking.

My only complaint--the DVD version is the director's cut. No offense to Michael Mann, but it's terrible. As good as the movie is, is how bad the DVD is. Technically, the 'skips' are aesthetically offensive; there's even a disclaimer of sorts *inside* the packaging, which makes returning it a bit more challenging. The music has been literally gutted, and some of the best lines were chopped. The added scenes were okay, but understandably cut from the final release. They would have been much better served as extras on the DVD.

Thrilling if slightly inaccurate

Author: Ryan McNabb from under the falls
1 September 2002

This is a rollercoaster of a movie, one with everything you want in a good film. It is probably as close as you'll get to an accurate portrayal of the longhunter culture that existed in the eastern frontier from the 1740s to perhaps 1810, where frontiersmen like Nathaniel Bumppo got "off the boat" from Europe and, in a very brief time, learned to out-Indian the Indians. The film is gorgeous to look at, with incredible scenery and everything bathed in a rich, liquid light. The script is sophisticated and tight, and the movie pulls you along at a good clip. Boredom is not a problem. Sure there are inaccuracies here and there, and the truth of the 18th century frontier is a much better tale than any fiction you'll ever read about it, but all in all this is a grand effort, and one that will probably become a screen classic. The real star of the show, however, is Magwa, played by Cherokee actor Wes Studi. He gives an absolutely chilling performance as a man deeply harmed by the gruelling life of the frontier, who seeks to exact vengeance. Imagine yourself and your family in a tiny cabin in the middle of an old growth wilderness, in 1750, with Magwa and several other men like him trying to beat your door down to do God knows what (kill you quickly? torture you slowly? steal some sugar and tobacco and go away? take you captive and treat you like a brother? kidnap your children and leave you to wail with grief?) and you get some idea of what life must have been like for our forefathers. Last of the Mohicans makes the past come alive for 2 hours, which is all you can ask.