IMDb > The Last of the Mohicans (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Last of the Mohicans

The Last of the Mohicans More at IMDbPro »

Page 18 of 39: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [Next]

Make sure you watch this in your lifetime

Author: lilreeves from United Kingdom
28 March 2008

Yes it doesn't win my award for the best movie I have ever seen but admittedly it would be in my top 15 favourites of all time. Apart from the dashing Day-Lewis and stirring soundtrack this is a well-executed epic, all be it slightly over-romantic. From a female perspective you have to see this movie if nothing else but to see Daniel Day-Lewis look utterly stunning and the romantic although slightly clichéd relationships within the plot which epitomise what women want everywhere. From a guy's perspective this movie has authentic fight scenes and well developed characters who are excellently acted by the likes of Wes Studi and Day-Lewis, who as ever applied his passion for method acting to the role and built a canoe, learned to track and skin animals, and how to use a 12-pound flintlock gun, which in true Mohican style never left his side (If he doesn't earn your respect for that alone then there is something wrong with you). This movie reminds me a lot of Braveheart, I think Braveheart is slightly better but if you like that movie without a doubt you'll like The Last Of The Mohicans. I loved this movie and there wasn't a moment when I wasn't entertained, some of the romance quickly evolves and if you've read the book it is definitely not faithful to the plot, which I believe enhances the film if anything. Other than those small almost irrelevant points, the movie achieves what it sets out to do, don't take it too seriously or you might find more criticisms than I did, but just enjoy it.

A bit slow and thin on story, but definitely worth watching!

Author: foryoublues from Mexico
28 February 2008

I must say it took me a while to warm up to the movie and to get sucked in so-to-speak. It was mostly because I had high expectations; I really like Daniel Day-Lewis and Michael Mann is a pretty crafty director so I expected to be thrilled from the first shot.

However, from the get go I was impressed with the cinematography, the costume and the soundtrack. Then after the first hour, like most Mann movies, it kept getting better and better. The tension rises and you find that you are sitting at the edge of your sit.

I was thinking that it was actually quite an unusual and rather bold film coming from Hollywood. One of those unusual points was how the Indians and the fighting Europeans were portrayed. The Indians had left aside their customary arrows and had picked up guns and rifles. The Europeans were not your typical cowboys but soldiers who were fighting for land. And the intrigues went both ways.

The film is not perfect and possibly not even one of Mann's best. Yet it shows a lot of early promise and talent, and the scenes are well executed and full of suspense. That is one thing that I love about movies, not being able to predict what will happen next. The Last of the Mohicans keeps you guessing until the end.

Wonderful movie

Author: laura1-07 from United Kingdom
12 February 2008

This is one of my top ten movies of all time. If ever I catch it on TV I have to continue to watch to the end.

It is exciting and visually stunning, perfect performances and action with the best film score of all time. How wonderful is Daniel Day Lewis and how handsome in this film. What woman wouldn't want to be loved by a man like that, his stare is mesmorising.

I have a bit of a "bee in my bonnet" about films continually show the English in a bad light, particularly if they are American. But in this case I can forgive it because the film is fair and so well made. 10 out of 10.

Flawless

Author: stonewasp from United States
8 December 2007

Unbelievably great movie. Dramatic in every aspect. Incredible cast where everyone delivers. The score to this film strikes great emotion and plays to the visuals perfect. The ending scene makes me cry every time.

This is definitely the magnum opus for Michael Mann, it displays his powerful prowess for dramatic storytelling with perfect balance. Daniel Day Lewis and Madeline Stowe have incredible chemistry together. These 2 show here why they are revered as a couple of the greatest actors of our time. Their performances are emotional and powerful. This is a classic American tale that was brilliantly transcribed to film.

I recommend this to any one who loves an epic tale.

A power-packed and visually stunning tale of the French and Indian war...but, be forewarned, the violence is potent

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
12 November 2007

Hawkeye/Nathaniel (Daniel Day Lewis) is a white man who was captured and raised by the Mohican Indians. But, do to tragic circumstances, only three Mohicans remain, Hawkeye's adopted father and brother, Uncas. The father sent Nathaniel to live with the colonial settlers for a spell, so he is fluent in the ways and languages of both worlds. One day, as the trio of men are out hunting, they happen across three people in big trouble. Cora (Madeleine Stowe), her younger sister, Alice and a British soldier are on route to Fort McHenry when they are attacked by other Indian tribes. The ladies are traveling to the fort because their father (Pete Postelthwaite) is the commander and they believe he has sent for them. However, a disgruntled Indian, Magua (Wes Studi), whose own family was destroyed by the commander in battle, is out to take his revenge and arranged the ambush. Hawkeye and his family, however, jump in and fight for the colonists, killing and driving off the attackers. The Mohicans escort the three Britishers to the fort, at great peril. But, once there, the fort is besieged and the war rages fiercely. What will become of the English settlers, especially Hawkeye and Cora, who have fallen hard for each other? This is a superb movie, with great actors and more, but its depiction of the violent French and Indian War is very real and very potent. Therefore, be forewarned that there are some stomach-turning scenes that do make the film unsuitable for children. Some Native American tribes were quite fierce and their weapons of choice were tomahawks. Enough said. The cast is terrific, with Day Lewis very great as Hawkeye, Stowe most beautiful as Cora, and Studi totally frightening as the vengeful Indian. Other cast members are wonderful, too. The scope of the film is grand, with the finest of cinematography, staging, costuming, direction and writing. As they say, they don't make them like this anymore but the movie clearly shows that they DO. If you want to experience an historical tale of great merit, this is one you should not miss. Just make certain you have someone's hand to hold when the rough scenes arrive again and again.

All but flawless

Author: erklise from United States
27 October 2007

Realism & intensity, minus pandering. The passion that blazes up between Stowe & Day-Lewis in the hours running up to the final assault is white-hot, as powerful as anything I can remember on film, all non-verbal and fully clothed. Stowe's voice, hoarse with feeling, and blazing features stand out in my memory, as do minute but detectable changes in Studi's face as things happen to and around Magua on the mountainside. The interview in the Huron town with the running 3-way translations was a dandy, and Duncan's final act of courage and abnegation, manly and moving, reclaiming his honor. They took good care of the details, always satisfying to see, uniforms and equipment, even the sound of shells in flight, and Pete brandishing his pistol pan-side up.

The only misstep was the embarrassing gaucherie of the interview with Webb at Albany. How that business of "make love with their faces" got by the editors is a mystery.

A little surprising, in the days of Brown Bess, to see a column route-marching down a forest road in hostile country without bayonets fixed. Wonder if senior British officers in the 18th were really so carefree. Not exactly Bobs Bahadur & the hard-bitten, wide-faring Tommies of the 19th (or 20th, come to that).

Terrific score. Went right out and looked up a tape, SR1.50 off a clearance-table at the Jubail souk, directly we turned off the VCR. Played it to transparency. Still find "The Gael" one of the toughest tunes to shake, once it gets going in my head. Wonderful.

This one's in my top 10 best; for historicals, top 5. Right up there with Caton-Jones' Rob Roy.

Great Blend of Movie Making

Author: Jason Faull from Salt Lake City, Utah
21 October 2007

I've never seen a film mesh so well with many of the elements of movie making. Sound, Cinematography, acting, dialog, plot and especially the music. The music itself is it's own character. It adds so much emotion to the movie, especially at the end. Michael Mann did a great job of bringing James Fenimore Cooper's novel to the silver screen. (even though it is a remake, technically). Daniel Day-Lewis delivers his best, as he always does. All the actors played their part to it's fullest. Mann presents and eerie feeling of how brutal the fighting was during the French and Indian War. I would say it was an energetic, splendidly real and violent description on how the warfare was handled during that specific conflict on the northern American continent.

This guy really knows how to make movies

Author: tenthousandtattoos from Australia
12 July 2007

"Aw man, this is gonna be another 3 hour Dances with Wolves nightmare," I thought, being quite literally dragged into the cinema to see this film. I had oodles of candy and a bucket of popcorn bigger than my head, and was preparing to BURY myself in it as the curtains drew back, and i was suddenly drawn in for the next two hours. I barely touched my popcorn as Trevor Jones' score swept across those breathtaking mountains, spired trees, before immersing us in 1757 new America, and sweeping into a story that is at once a drama, a romance, a war film and an historical period action adventure. In short, Michael Mann's masterpiece. This guy really knows how to make movies. I can't fault this film, I think it's perfect. Viewed on a superficial level it's an exciting adventure story, set against a backdrop of cathedral forests and a savage war for possession of an entire continent. Go deeper and it's a masterpiece of storytelling, a finely crafted motion picture (editing, sound design, costuming, production design - technically, it's brilliant. Dante Spinotti (has worked with Mann on Heat, and probably others I am not certain and don't want to guess here) captures the frontier wilderness like something straight out of a painting, a period novel or an epic poem. It's magical, beautiful, yet so simple and professionally done. The whole 2 hours of the film are beautiful to watch. Daniel Day Lewis is great, although I must admit this is only one of two films I've ever watched him in, the other being In the Name of the Father. Madeleine Stowe is beautiful in an almost indescribable way, and although several of her lines seem strangely forced and awkward she is also great in this. All the supporting cast are great...like I said, can't fault this film in any way. It's on my top ten ultimate must see best ever movie list (which is no lighthearted matter - it's been 15 years in the making!) The film is also a great little snapshot of the times. While not all that historically accurate when you look into it, it does keep certain historical events in context and doesn't take HUGE liberties with the historical truth. It's a fairly accurate portrayal of the warfare and weapons of the time. Also dramatic is the conflict when viewed in the larger context that, in less than two decades the "settlers" as they are referred to in this film would kick the Brits out anyway and establish the United States so the fighting depicted in this film was even more a pointless waste of life.

Director's Cut vs Theatrical release

In my opinion there is no reason to watch the theatrical version anymore. Fair enough, it was the version that blew me away at the cinema, but Michael Mann has extended and built upon crucial scenes to a point that elevates it from action/romance/adventure film to pure masterpiece. Trevor Jones' score is fantastic, moving, a perfect example of how to score a film.

Interesting point of note

I watched this film on the same night as Mel Gibson's Apocalypto. Now, while the two movies are totally different, the reason I compare them is they both begin with indigenous people engaged in a hunt. Now, seeing the two scenes back to back the better film is startlingly obvious - it's Mohicans. The hunt scene is dramatic, tense, and even moving, complemented by a beautiful introduction to the score. Apocalypto's opening hunt, by contrast, was a flat, uninteresting start to a film, with no music, and focusing on very graphic aspects of the dead Tapir, whereas Mann, in Mohicans, chose to focus more on the characters who shot the deer, not the wound inflicted on the animal itself. My friend, a 25 yo female, walked out on Apocalypto after 4 1/2 minutes of that hunt scene. By contrast, she stayed for all of Mohicans and describes it as one of the best films she's ever seen.

Technical Corrections

Author: (dollarl-1) from United States
10 July 2007

This movie was filmed in the Blue Ridge Mountains, not the Smokies. Chimney Rock is now becoming the newest state park in NC, after the private owners put the land on the market. Fort scenes were filmed at Lake James, which is near Morganton, NC.

For those of us fortunate enough to travel to these areas before 1992 when the movie was released, it was interesting to watch the movie and identify all the spots. Incidentally, before the movie was filmed, many of the areas at Chimney Rock did not have fencing, so you could get really spectacular views of the area. Since the movie, and more since the State Park system has taken it over, there is more security fencing to keep visitors from getting too close to the edge of the trails.

Michael Mann In Spite of Himself

Author: johcafra from United States
7 July 2007

With some very rare exceptions I don't enjoy Westerns, and I'm quite the nitpicker with historical epics. But when this is televised I literally stop what I'm doing, willing to suffer through even the "pan-and-scan" treatment and interminable commercial torture sessions.

No, I don't own the "Director's Cut" DVD, and I feel users unnecessarily quibble over its differences from the theatrical release as well as James Fenimore Cooper's novel. Watch "both" films if you like (the theatrical release likely on VHS from your public library), its predecessor film version perhaps, then read Cooper's novel that you may have been forced to read in school, or others in the series by him featuring "Natty Bumppo," then for background some historical accounts or novels by Allan Eckert and Walter D. Edmonds. But if you watch only the film you just can't lose.

For in spite of himself Mann makes everything work here, and I do mean everything. If it isn't his most topical film it's his best film, hands down. And even with legendary accounts of overproduction, if the end result shows me the director gives a serious hang about what I pay two bits to see on the big screen, I won't gripe about my passenger status.

Recognize Daniel Day-Lewis plays America's first literary action hero, and I cannot picture that done by anyone else in any other way. Madeline Stowe and Jodhi May don't have to say a word to get the point across. Wes Studi is a portrait of unalloyed menace. And that all converges in the penultimate 15 or so minutes of the film, enhanced by the location, photography, editing, stunt work, Trevor Jones' positively hypnotic theme that includes of all things a Scottish reel, and no (repeat, NO) spoken lines.

Perhaps the highest praise I can offer: If you don't think you'd like this sort of thing, you are guaranteed to have a change of heart.