IMDb > The Last of the Mohicans (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Last of the Mohicans

The Last of the Mohicans More at IMDbPro »

Page 17 of 39: [Prev][12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [Next]

Dance, Dance, Dancd

Author: FairBear from United States
21 April 2009

The controlled, never-tiring, graceful running of Hawkeye and Chingachook, and Uncas through stands of trees, strands of grass, and past burnt and savaged homesteads are as fulfilling as any movement in the opening scenes between the Jets and the Sharks in West Side Story.

The love between Hawkeye and Cora Monroe become as lyrical,if song-less, as the love between Tony and Maria in West Side Story.

The massacre choreographed by Magua is brilliantly stylized as any of the Jets/Sharks cutting dance at the school hop and the meeting of the gangs under the highway.

And the end love's loss to enemy hatreds and politics and posing is ritualized in a dance of death in "Mohicans" as in song in "West side Story."

review

Author: niallthegod2 from United Kingdom
17 March 2009

The last of the Mohicans review

Michael Mann's "The Last of the Mohicans" Based on a novel by James Fenimore Cooper, the movie tells the tale of Hawkeye , a white man raised by a clan of Native Americans called the Mohicans. there's only 3 of them left: Hawkeye, his adopted father Chingachgook , and his adopted brother Uncas . The film is set in the untamed American frontier during the British-French Wars of early 18th century, with both sides fighting for control of the n discovered American continent. Native Indians and colonists have been forced to pick sides, but Hawkeye and others have refused to join in, believing that the war has nothing to do with them. Things change when Hawkeye crosses path with English beauty Cora Munro and her sister Alice , the women are being escorted by Major Duncan Heyward to their father at the frontlines. After saving the women and Heyward from a bloody ambush engineered by the vengeful Magua, Hawkeye agrees to escort them to an English fort.

Despite its good points "the last of the Mohicans" is still a better Romance-Adventure picture than it is an action/War movie. But there are numerous scenes of military battles, mostly at the siege of the English fort. Cannon fire and exploding muskets light up the night-time scenes, making the film an experience to watch. The cinematography by Dante Spinotti is brilliant, and the film's many scenes in the woods of Colonial America are ripped with beauty that many other films can not capture. The acting is also superb, which is a very good thing because the screenplay by Mann and Christopher Crowe is sometimes too plain for its own good, with a lot of romantic language that's better left to, well, romance novels but doesn't destroy the film. Thankfully the movie has a fine cast that manages to sell even the plain dialogue. Daniel Day-Lewis turns in a solid performance as Hawkeye. Madeleine Stowe , convinces us of the blossoming romance between her Cora and Hawkeye. The fact is, without these actor and actress the dialogue and screenplay just would work and it takes talent of this calibre to pull it off.

For the most part the film Michael Mann has got it superb, although he seems to have a little trouble with the more bloody battle scenes. More than one occasion the film has a cheap feel, as if whole chunks of screens were removed. And despite being an 18, the film is nearly bloodless. Another point of "the last of the Mohicans" that works is the natural soundtrack. There is a constant drumy tune that plays throughout much of the exciting forest scenes, including the movie's final battle on the side of mountain and really gets you going " go on kill him, run, run faster man" well it did me even though I have watched it many times I still do it.

An under rated and forgotten classic, "The Last of the Mohicans" ,is epic, great to look at, and Madeleine Stowe is almost as lovely as the scenery. What else could you want for a Friday night movie at home with a beer.

Michael Mann (director) / Michael Mann (screenplay) CAST: Daniel Day-Lewis …. Hawkeye Madeleine Stowe …. Cora Munro Russell Means …. Chingachgook Eric Schweig …. Uncas Jodhi May …. Alice Munro Wes Studi …. Magua

By niall abbey

and thats how u write a review and not copying one

Great Movie!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
13 March 2009

This movie is a great movie. I have heard all the rave reviews and I never got the chance to see the movie until recently. This film is probably one of the best from the early 90's. This film has some faults, but they are minor and insignificant.

This film is based of the book by James Fenimore Cooper. The film takes place during the French and Indian War. The film focuses on the Mohican tribe or I should say what's left of them. The story is about Hawkeye and how he saved the British from attack and his romantic side with the British General's daughter, Cora.

The acting is very good. Daniel-Day Lewis did an excellent job. I also liked Madeleine Stowe and Steven Waddington.

The music is exceptional. Trevor Jones and Randy Edelman certainly did a great job. There are many good, memorable themes.

The scenery is great. I imagine what the East would've looked like during this time period.

Overall, this is a great movie. This movie is also underrated. I rate this film 9/10.

One of my best ever!

Author: rocket-65 from Australia
20 February 2009

I have seen thousands of movies.

I have watched this wonderful movie many times. Of its many attributes, the two that stand out for me the most is the magnificent haunting music throughout and the strength of character shown by key actors. In life and at the movies, I am most moved by unstated integrity. By this I mean integrity and courage that appears as natural rather than conditioned by what someone thinks about and then does as the right thing to do. In this, I particularly thought that the lead role of Nathaniel, played by Daniel Day-Lewis was superb.

The direction, casting and make-up were impressive and the photography near perfect. Though violence was depicted, it was never without reason.

The hundreds of people involved in creating this movie classic deserve commendation. It will be enjoyed by people and go to their hearts for as long as films are watched.

This film well deserved the Academy Award and the long list of other awards and accolades it received.

Along with some of my movie-going friends, I love it!

Thank you for the opportunity of recommending this special movie.

Make sure you watch this in your lifetime

Author: lilreeves from United Kingdom
28 March 2008

Yes it doesn't win my award for the best movie I have ever seen but admittedly it would be in my top 15 favourites of all time. Apart from the dashing Day-Lewis and stirring soundtrack this is a well-executed epic, all be it slightly over-romantic. From a female perspective you have to see this movie if nothing else but to see Daniel Day-Lewis look utterly stunning and the romantic although slightly clichéd relationships within the plot which epitomise what women want everywhere. From a guy's perspective this movie has authentic fight scenes and well developed characters who are excellently acted by the likes of Wes Studi and Day-Lewis, who as ever applied his passion for method acting to the role and built a canoe, learned to track and skin animals, and how to use a 12-pound flintlock gun, which in true Mohican style never left his side (If he doesn't earn your respect for that alone then there is something wrong with you). This movie reminds me a lot of Braveheart, I think Braveheart is slightly better but if you like that movie without a doubt you'll like The Last Of The Mohicans. I loved this movie and there wasn't a moment when I wasn't entertained, some of the romance quickly evolves and if you've read the book it is definitely not faithful to the plot, which I believe enhances the film if anything. Other than those small almost irrelevant points, the movie achieves what it sets out to do, don't take it too seriously or you might find more criticisms than I did, but just enjoy it.

A bit slow and thin on story, but definitely worth watching!

Author: foryoublues from Mexico
28 February 2008

I must say it took me a while to warm up to the movie and to get sucked in so-to-speak. It was mostly because I had high expectations; I really like Daniel Day-Lewis and Michael Mann is a pretty crafty director so I expected to be thrilled from the first shot.

However, from the get go I was impressed with the cinematography, the costume and the soundtrack. Then after the first hour, like most Mann movies, it kept getting better and better. The tension rises and you find that you are sitting at the edge of your sit.

I was thinking that it was actually quite an unusual and rather bold film coming from Hollywood. One of those unusual points was how the Indians and the fighting Europeans were portrayed. The Indians had left aside their customary arrows and had picked up guns and rifles. The Europeans were not your typical cowboys but soldiers who were fighting for land. And the intrigues went both ways.

The film is not perfect and possibly not even one of Mann's best. Yet it shows a lot of early promise and talent, and the scenes are well executed and full of suspense. That is one thing that I love about movies, not being able to predict what will happen next. The Last of the Mohicans keeps you guessing until the end.

Wonderful movie

Author: laura1-07 from United Kingdom
12 February 2008

This is one of my top ten movies of all time. If ever I catch it on TV I have to continue to watch to the end.

It is exciting and visually stunning, perfect performances and action with the best film score of all time. How wonderful is Daniel Day Lewis and how handsome in this film. What woman wouldn't want to be loved by a man like that, his stare is mesmorising.

I have a bit of a "bee in my bonnet" about films continually show the English in a bad light, particularly if they are American. But in this case I can forgive it because the film is fair and so well made. 10 out of 10.

Flawless

Author: stonewasp from United States
8 December 2007

Unbelievably great movie. Dramatic in every aspect. Incredible cast where everyone delivers. The score to this film strikes great emotion and plays to the visuals perfect. The ending scene makes me cry every time.

This is definitely the magnum opus for Michael Mann, it displays his powerful prowess for dramatic storytelling with perfect balance. Daniel Day Lewis and Madeline Stowe have incredible chemistry together. These 2 show here why they are revered as a couple of the greatest actors of our time. Their performances are emotional and powerful. This is a classic American tale that was brilliantly transcribed to film.

I recommend this to any one who loves an epic tale.

A power-packed and visually stunning tale of the French and Indian war...but, be forewarned, the violence is potent

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
12 November 2007

Hawkeye/Nathaniel (Daniel Day Lewis) is a white man who was captured and raised by the Mohican Indians. But, do to tragic circumstances, only three Mohicans remain, Hawkeye's adopted father and brother, Uncas. The father sent Nathaniel to live with the colonial settlers for a spell, so he is fluent in the ways and languages of both worlds. One day, as the trio of men are out hunting, they happen across three people in big trouble. Cora (Madeleine Stowe), her younger sister, Alice and a British soldier are on route to Fort McHenry when they are attacked by other Indian tribes. The ladies are traveling to the fort because their father (Pete Postelthwaite) is the commander and they believe he has sent for them. However, a disgruntled Indian, Magua (Wes Studi), whose own family was destroyed by the commander in battle, is out to take his revenge and arranged the ambush. Hawkeye and his family, however, jump in and fight for the colonists, killing and driving off the attackers. The Mohicans escort the three Britishers to the fort, at great peril. But, once there, the fort is besieged and the war rages fiercely. What will become of the English settlers, especially Hawkeye and Cora, who have fallen hard for each other? This is a superb movie, with great actors and more, but its depiction of the violent French and Indian War is very real and very potent. Therefore, be forewarned that there are some stomach-turning scenes that do make the film unsuitable for children. Some Native American tribes were quite fierce and their weapons of choice were tomahawks. Enough said. The cast is terrific, with Day Lewis very great as Hawkeye, Stowe most beautiful as Cora, and Studi totally frightening as the vengeful Indian. Other cast members are wonderful, too. The scope of the film is grand, with the finest of cinematography, staging, costuming, direction and writing. As they say, they don't make them like this anymore but the movie clearly shows that they DO. If you want to experience an historical tale of great merit, this is one you should not miss. Just make certain you have someone's hand to hold when the rough scenes arrive again and again.

All but flawless

Author: erklise from United States
27 October 2007

Realism & intensity, minus pandering. The passion that blazes up between Stowe & Day-Lewis in the hours running up to the final assault is white-hot, as powerful as anything I can remember on film, all non-verbal and fully clothed. Stowe's voice, hoarse with feeling, and blazing features stand out in my memory, as do minute but detectable changes in Studi's face as things happen to and around Magua on the mountainside. The interview in the Huron town with the running 3-way translations was a dandy, and Duncan's final act of courage and abnegation, manly and moving, reclaiming his honor. They took good care of the details, always satisfying to see, uniforms and equipment, even the sound of shells in flight, and Pete brandishing his pistol pan-side up.

The only misstep was the embarrassing gaucherie of the interview with Webb at Albany. How that business of "make love with their faces" got by the editors is a mystery.

A little surprising, in the days of Brown Bess, to see a column route-marching down a forest road in hostile country without bayonets fixed. Wonder if senior British officers in the 18th were really so carefree. Not exactly Bobs Bahadur & the hard-bitten, wide-faring Tommies of the 19th (or 20th, come to that).

Terrific score. Went right out and looked up a tape, SR1.50 off a clearance-table at the Jubail souk, directly we turned off the VCR. Played it to transparency. Still find "The Gael" one of the toughest tunes to shake, once it gets going in my head. Wonderful.

This one's in my top 10 best; for historicals, top 5. Right up there with Caton-Jones' Rob Roy.