IMDb > Jersey Girl (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Jersey Girl More at IMDbPro »

Artistry

Author: Al Rodbell from Carlsbad CA
28 November 2003

I can't think or a more trite plot than this film. Nothing but cliches and stereotypes in the oldest poor girl meets arogant boy story. Yet, this was something that was touching, sensitive and if I dare say, transcendent.

Jami Gertz portrayal of Toby was perfection. The rest of the casting was also perfectly on target. Shucks, even the pre-schooler who told Toby that the "boys were being nuts" was terrific.

I suppose direction had much to do with the effectiveness of this film. Each character only existed in the context of their relationships with other characters. They were individuals, but they were never more than who they were in the film.

This was a rare and beautiful piece of work.

I get butterflies !!

Author: willowdancer
4 March 2001

I saw this movie a few years ago and I loved it , and it gave me all these butterflies.I saw it again today and it still has the same effect on me, as a matter of fact I felt it more and more, and yes it still DOES give me butterflies,just watching it. It didn't differ, I thought it would be like everything else in life, you remember it better than it really was, but it was just as good.Basically it's a love story about 2 different people who aren't really as different as they think , a Jersy girl who always dreams of the city and moving up and a city boy who was once from the Bronx and did move up and would do anything to never go back. It's romantic, sweet, funny, and heartfelt. I think it's most girls fairy tale in real life setting. It'll either make you feel good or it'll make you want to cry, but either way it's great Friday night movie.

Great Cinderlla story with attitude.

Author: acbartz1 from Kelowna, Canada
12 April 2002

Dylan Mcdermott fans must see this movie. The characters are not terribly complex or dynamic, but who cares....ITS A CHICK FLICK! Toby and Sal are sweet and romantic and if your a lover of girl movies, this one is a must see. Warm hearted and makes for a great stay at home movie night.

Big Hair Never Looked So Good

Author: Robert Quinones (rcutie@eden.rutgers.edu) from New Brunswick, NJ
30 April 1999

Jersey Girl is a great romantic comedy. The tagline calls it a Cinderella Story With Big Hair and that it is, but Jamie Gertz's Tobey gets the man of her dreams without the help of a fairy godmother. Tobey lives in New Jersey and dreams of a better life that doesn't include her dead end job and evenings at the Bendix diner with her girlfriends. She thinks she'll find that better life by picking up a guy at the local Mercedes dealer...see the movie to find out what happens. As the opening credit song states "Jersey Groove, She's got a Jersey Groove"

This movie is my favorite!!!

Author: Nessiebear317 from Pottsville, Pennsylvania
25 September 2006

The original Jersey Girl is my favorite movie. Dylan McDermott (Sal) is so hot in this movie with his big blue eyes. Jami Gertz (Toby) is just phenomenal in this movie. My favorite part in this movie is the end: when Sal wrecks his Mercedes to prove to Toby that he does truly love her and wants to be with her. If a guy did that to show me he really did care about me, I'd be all over him. I remember first seeing this movie when I was around 10 years old. At that moment, I fell in love with romantic movies. This is a movie that I would watch whenever I could get a chance; that's why I bought the DVD. lol. I'm going to make my boyfriend sit down and watch this movie with me. I think he'd like it. My boyfriend said he'd sit down and watch chick flicks with me. A girl can only hope, right????

simply irresistable...

Author: dolesdonnell
5 June 2003

I just saw this movie for the first time yesterday and I must say it was SWEET! I absolutely adored it - romantic, funny and with a great ending. PLUS - girls - super Practice hottie Dylan McDermott is the leading man...WHO could ask for more????? Two thumbs up!

Jersey girl meets the boy of her dream

Author: sabrinambayi-1 from France. Paris
26 August 2009

First I don't see why people are being hard on this film me personally I loved it the first time when I saw it I was only 14 and today am 27 and I still can't get over this film.Dylan McDermott is hot as ever and he plays his character really well and Jami Gertz is perfect in this role and every time I see this film I get a lot of emotion. seriously this movie is great its a love story about two people from different world who meets and falls in love. so please give this movie a chance I recommender to those who are sensitive its a nice love story with a happy ending. so that is why I give it a 10 out of 10 I still get goosebumps when I watch it

One of the best movies

Author: Nessiebear317 from Pottsville, Pennsylvania
11 June 2004

I find the movie "Jersey Girl" quite entertaining. I first saw it when I was sad and depressed. After seeing it, I wasn't sad anymore. It uplifted my thoughts and feelings, and I fell in love with the movie. I'd even go one step further and say, I think it is better than Dirty Dancing. Now, Dirty Dancing was my favorite all-time video, but, after seeing Jersey Girl, I switched gears. I recommend this video to any girl who is feeling down in the dumps. I'd also like to add that Dylan McDermott in this movie is H-O-T-T, HOT!!!!!!!!!! Girls, you even get to see a glimpse of his butt. I recommend this movie. As a matter of fact, my boyfriend and I are going to rent this movie tonight. I recommend this movie.

Bites off its nose to spite its face

Author: Karen Green (klg19) from New York City
19 June 2003

Here's the odd thing about this quirky little film -- its "happy ending" completely undercuts the happy ending the heroine is looking for.

Toby (Gertz) is a Jersey Girl looking for a GQ kind of guy -- a non-Guido with money, nice clothes and good manners who will take her away from it all. Sal (McDermott) is a Queens Guy who's made it big in Manhattan and is dating Social Register material. Toby wants Sal, Sal wants Society, but in the end Toby and Sal get each other. But what happens in order for this to occur? Sal trashes his well-paying career, is humiliated by his girlfriend, intentionally wrecks the Mercedes that first caught Toby's eye,and probably won't long be hanging on to that nice apartment overlooking Central Park. He rejects what it takes to be Manhattan material in order to be with his Jersey Girl -- he re-embraces his Queens roots.

So how does this make him different than the Guidos Toby has been fleeing in the first place? Are we supposed to believe that they're what she really wanted all along, now that she's ended up with one?

The toughest thing about this for me was the endless cliche about what Jersey Girls are like in the first place. I defy anyone to find a 20-something in, say, Short Hills NJ who would dress, act, talk, think like the stereotypes depicted in the film. It's a movie about Jersey Girls with a kind of Philip Roth-like self-hatred about being from Jersey. Toby isn't smarter or more stylish than her friends -- she just wants someone with money. That is supposed to ennoble her? In the end, she doesn't get the guy with the money anyway -- perhaps as fitting punishment for her greediness?

If so, then who's the heroine of this movie, anyway?

Not too bad

Author: BreakingDaylight from United Kingdom
11 December 2005

OK, so I sort of wondered at the title before the movie started, i mean, what, i never new Jersey was considered something like the country, but, go figure. It's the classic boy meets girl, girl wrecks boy's car, boy hates girl, girl falls in love with boy, boy falls in love with girl, girl hates boy, girl falls back in love with boy, and they all live happily ever after, well, we would assume. Overall, it was quite entertaining, i mean, it's not a totally original master piece or anything, but quite entertaining. I liked the fact that Toby (Gertz character)in th end, did not change her whole existent just to be someone she's not,was her own person, and had her own beliefs and the fact that she's not just some girl who went around and changed her whole life for a guy, no matter how rich, handsome or successful he was. And McDermott's character was...really complex, but I guess in a way, they made a cute couple, though the ending with water sprinkling down at them and the sloppy kiss, yeah, maybe they should have cut that scene. But overall, not too bad, a fairly entertaining film.