IMDb > Honey I Blew Up the Kid (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Sequel Slightly Better

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
6 October 2006

Here's another example of the sequel being slightly better than the original, at least in my humble opinion. However, the original ("Honey, I Shrunk The Kids") was nothing super, not something you'd call a "classic." It was "pretty good." This one is "good."

It had more laughs and less irritating kids. There is still the stupid teen romance, but not emphasized as much as in the first movie. The little kid in here, who is turned into a giant, is cute and affable and his giggle is fun to hear.

The first 40 minutes of this film are the best. It gets a little too silly after that. At the end, Disney succumbs to the craze of the early '90s: having a woman punch out a man. In this case, it was nice mother (Marcia Strassman.) Give me a break!

The special-effects were okay but not totally convincing. In fairness, it's not easy trying to produce the effects of a 100-foot child walking down the streets of Las Vegas, but they've still come along way from the days of "The Attack Of The 50- Foot Woman" in 1958. However, there is still room for FX improvement.

Overall, some good laughs in the film and - with one exception - likable characters.

Wayne Szalinski does it again, except now he has a machine that makes things grow.

Author: clck2001 from United States
23 July 2007

This one is pretty good. Those who say that he runs around in a stupid King Kong or Godzilla like fashion are wrong. Does he eat anybody? No. Does he kill anybody? No. He is just a normal baby that has had an accident that most babies never have. He does break things, but that does not mean that he is a terror to society, or should be killed, or tranquilized. Moranis is excellent as his usual "eccentric" role in all three of these movies. Too bad the Szalinski's moved, because I liked the Thompsons from the original. I bet they either had to move because of Nick and Ron always at each others throats, or because Amy and Little Russ could never be parted. But it seems like Amy has forgotten all about Little Russ Thompson by now, because she just goes off to college with no regrets or worries. Bridges was good as Wayne's boss-totally different than his much earlier role as Harvey, the deputy, in the priceless classic, High Noon.

Really not that bad for a sequel

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
22 March 2010

I don't mind sequels, some are great like Home Alone 2 and Empire Strikes Back, some are nothing special but can be an improvement over their originals like Garfield 2 and others that belong in the garbage like Home Alone 4 and NeverEnding Story 3. This sequel really isn't that bad, at this point I don't think it belongs in either of these categories but in a category titled "a sequel that isn't as good as the original, but a sequel worth watching". It is very daft, even more dafter than Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, with a very silly final 20 minutes and the pacing at this point in the film isn't as strong as it was in the first 40 minutes, which was fun, fun, fun personified. Still, it is very entertaining for a number of reasons. It is nicely filmed, with a good soundtrack and some fun gags and physical comedy. But it was the performances that made it worthwhile. Rick Moranis reprises his role as Wayne and is immensely likable as always, and Marcia Strassman is great as Diane. Daniel and Joshua Shalikar are very cute as Adam, who has a nice, funny little laugh that doesn't grate, thank goodness. The other kids give appealing performances once again, the teen romance is evident here and is rather sappy, but hey I can live with that. Overall, for a sequel, this is really not bad. 7/10 Bethany Cox

Honey, I Stunk the Script

Author: kenjha
12 May 2006

The lovable Szalinskis are at it again. In this inferior sequel to Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Dad blows up his little son to the size of a redwood. It is enjoyable enough in the beginning but after a while the filmmakers run out of ideas about what to do with a big baby. As with the first film, Moranis brings a lot of energy to his role and Strassman still looks cute but the other kids and the nosy neighbors are missed. The plot line about Moranis' wacky boss just gets out of hand and by the time the action moves to Vegas, the whole plot becomes tiresome. It may have helped if they had a cuter kid play Adam or if they had him do some funnier things.

King Baby!

Author: DarthBill from United States
9 April 2004

That affable, amiable, absent minded professor family man Wayne (Rick Moranis) is back, but now his experiments in size are funded by a big time company and he's a hot property. Unfortunately, his new toddler son, Adam, is the one who gets zapped this time, but instead of shrinking, he's turned into a toddler of Godzilla proportions. If you thought Wayne's wife was unhappy with Wayne shrinking their older son Nick and daughter Amy (who only cameos here) in the first film, just wait till you see her lose it here when she finds out her little boy Adam here! Now it's a race against time for Wayne to shrink Adam back down to size before he's destroyed by an uncaring society, with help from his now teenage son Nick and his girlfriend, Kerri Russell before she hit it big with "Felicity".

May strain the cuteness for some, will warm the hearts of others. Followed by a direct to video sequel that's not even worth the price of rental.

give this dumb movie a break!

Author: spectre316-1 from USA
9 July 2005

I expected some negative comments, but nearly every single one? C'mon, it's not that bad! It's really simple, stupid and (of course) illogical, but denying that there's no absurd comedic moments (the baby is kind of funny!) and no funny scenarios (the teenagers being stuck in the "toy car") seems bizarre to me.

I loved this film as a kid. There were specials on the Disney Channel when it finally (after what seemed like forever) premiered on there, and it was a rather neat experience for an eight year old.

In fact, I've watched this movie so many times as a kid that I've seen it a hell of a lot more than the unquestionably superior first movie. It was just one of those things.

Watching it now, I'll admit that the special effects can be rather cumbersome and the lines are almost always pure cheeseball (Rick Moranis' especially). Also, Keri Russell's work here is absolutely terrible; after watching a lot of "Felicity," I for some reason expected her to be at least near that quality. Not to mention the stupid "villian" who hits the baby with some projectile; very, very mock able.

But it's a nice little dumb movie! Who cares! It's certainly not "sequel hell," etc etc. It's entertaining at the very least.

Nothing To Hate But Nothing To Love,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
27 April 2013

Honey I Blew Up The Kid is a decent family movie with an average story line.The movie will definitely entertain a younger audience,but adults watching this movie with their kids will probably be bored,although I will say it isn't a horrible family film,its not the best,but its not the worst.The original,Honey I Shrunk The Kids,is definitely a much better movie for the whole family to watch.Honey I Blew Up The Kid will appeal to very young children,but the older audience will be bored,and fans of Honey I Shrunk The Kids will be disappointed by this sequel.

Wayne Szalinski (Rick Moranis) gets himself into another very difficult situation when a new experiment causes his youngest child keep growing more and more stories tall.

**** out of ****

Author: clay-8 from texas
3 December 1998

"Honey, I blew up the kid" is wildly fun. When I first saw it back in '92, I couldn't believe how fun the film was. I actually prefer somewhat than Honey, I shrunk the kids. The characters were interesting. The whole relationship between Adam and Wayne was adorable and genuine. Wayne's character was very well developed as a clumsy genius who feels his wife doesn't think he knows what he's doing. And Adam himself has a great babyish personality that I found interesting and absorbing. This movie is a definite must-see. It reminds me a lot of Roland Emmerich's "Godzilla" more than any of the other godzilla movies. I also like how the movie doesn't copy from the original at all.

Honey, I Blew Up the Kid

Author: Phil Hubbs from UK
18 September 2017

After the first (successful) movie surrounding shrinkage, and being heavily influenced by some classic sci-fi flicks of the 50's, it was inevitable that we'd see this. Again heavily influenced by some classic black and white sci-fi movies of the 50's, we now find the Szalinskis' with a bigger problem. Yep its basically 'Attack of the 50 Foot Baby' or another 'King Kong' clone/homage.

The plot: Well the title says it all really. Oh OK, set five years after the tiny events of the first movie, the Szalinskis' now live in Nevada. They have a new two year old son called Adam, Nick is now a teenager and Amy has gone to college. Funnily enough Wayne (Rick Moranis) is now working on a ray gun that will increase the size of objects. On a routine trip to his work space at Sterling Labs, little Adam is accidentally zapped with the ray but nothing seems to happen. Later on at home Adam is exposed to electrical waves from the microwave which appear to trigger the enlargement process. Slowly Adam begins to gradually grow bigger and bigger; Wayne and Nick must now try to reverse the process before Adam becomes a danger to himself and others.

So again the main draw here are the effects, the big breezy colourful effects. How do they stand up? Well not too well really. OK lets start positive, there are numerous sequences where it appears that they used someone in a large bodysuit. In some scenes we see live action shots Moranis with a live action giant toddler, but if you look closely this does appear to be a very good bodysuit on an obviously tall person. These shots are always from behind the large toddler so as not to give the game away but they are very effective. This showcases the innovation of the effects crew which unfortunately could only go so far. Other than the usual oversized and undersized props, which are always highly effective if sometimes a bit rubbery looking, much of this movie has to rely on bluescreen and rear projection.

And this is where the movie really falls down, the terrible terrible bluescreen/rear projection effects. The bulk of the effects are unfortunately reliant on these techniques and alas it all stands out like a sore thumb. There are clear brightness differences between the live action in the foreground and projected background. Thick black lines outline much of the effects and the colours are faded throughout. Overall the effect is just way too obvious and really takes you out of the movie. Heck even some of the large sets are bad looking, when Nick and his young female counterpart are riding in Adams oversized pocket, it just looks poor. There are some nice touches of forced perspective in a few shots but again you can see right through them. Don't get me wrong I give them an A for effort but clearly the effects team needed more money or skills, many movies came out before this and looked way better.

Other than the effects there isn't a great deal on offer here frankly. The plot sees a clichéd company villain (John Shea) going after the oversized Adam for his own nefarious dastardly deeds (still not entirely sure why he gets fired by Sterling, for being mean?). This inevitably brings about the inevitable 'King Kong' homages as they use helicopters to try and tranquilise Adam. Lloyd Bridges pops up as Clifford Sterling, president of the Sterling company, a company that does...scientific type stuff. Obviously Bridges brings his own brand of spoof-esque humour which is fine but a bit childish, yeah I know its a kids flick but still. Moranis brings home his lovable nerdy Louis Tulley-esque character again; complete with more outrageous inventions which are admittedly pleasing to the eye. Nothing new really, they reverse or mirror some scenes and dialog from the first movie.

The movie ends in Vegas which generally looks horrendous from start to finish effects wise. The movie also becomes very stupid as they apparently evacuate the Las Vegas strip in around five minutes. They also manage to coordinate getting all the lights switched off down the strip in five minutes, like all of them! No one gets hurt, nothing gets damaged, and the way they placate Adam is vomit inducing. I guess its all understandable seeing as its essentially a kids movie but its still very lame, lazy and dull.

Doesn't help that the kid they use for the role of Adam is just kinda annoying, but that's just me. I think the problem here is the over use of an idea, the Kong sized threat. Add to that the fact its a giant toddler which isn't particularly interesting or threatening, and of course the fact the first movie used a less common theme which was executed way better. Overall its all adds up to a relatively fun movie with the odd decent moment. Its just fails to capture the magic of the first movie; in this case miniature things are more fun I think.

Not as bad as people claim.

Author: bwayjaime from United States
20 February 2017

I personally loved "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" and am a fan of Rick Moranis's work. As most sequels are, "Honey I Blew Up The Kid" is not nearly as good. I however still found it enjoyable. Yes, the effects are pretty awful, but don't forget that this movie is 25 years old and it's demographic was aimed towards children and families.

I did enjoy getting to see Nick, who was only 11 in the first movie, as a young teen, dealing with fitting in and relationships (much like Amy's struggle in the first).

One thing that I wish this sequel would have given is a little bit of discussion on the aftermath of the kids who were shrunk in the first movie.

I would recommend watching this sequel if you were a fan of the first, but also to go into it knowing it's not as good.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]