Honey I Blew Up the Kid (1992) Poster

50 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Sequel Slightly Better
ccthemovieman-16 October 2006
Here's another example of the sequel being slightly better than the original, at least in my humble opinion. However, the original ("Honey, I Shrunk The Kids") was nothing super, not something you'd call a "classic." It was "pretty good." This one is "good."

It had more laughs and less irritating kids. There is still the stupid teen romance, but not emphasized as much as in the first movie. The little kid in here, who is turned into a giant, is cute and affable and his giggle is fun to hear.

The first 40 minutes of this film are the best. It gets a little too silly after that. At the end, Disney succumbs to the craze of the early '90s: having a woman punch out a man. In this case, it was nice mother (Marcia Strassman.) Give me a break!

The special-effects were okay but not totally convincing. In fairness, it's not easy trying to produce the effects of a 100-foot child walking down the streets of Las Vegas, but they've still come along way from the days of "The Attack Of The 50- Foot Woman" in 1958. However, there is still room for FX improvement.

Overall, some good laughs in the film and - with one exception - likable characters.
21 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wayne Szalinski does it again, except now he has a machine that makes things grow.
clck200123 July 2007
This one is pretty good. Those who say that he runs around in a stupid King Kong or Godzilla like fashion are wrong. Does he eat anybody? No. Does he kill anybody? No. He is just a normal baby that has had an accident that most babies never have. He does break things, but that does not mean that he is a terror to society, or should be killed, or tranquilized. Moranis is excellent as his usual "eccentric" role in all three of these movies. Too bad the Szalinski's moved, because I liked the Thompsons from the original. I bet they either had to move because of Nick and Ron always at each others throats, or because Amy and Little Russ could never be parted. But it seems like Amy has forgotten all about Little Russ Thompson by now, because she just goes off to college with no regrets or worries. Bridges was good as Wayne's boss-totally different than his much earlier role as Harvey, the deputy, in the priceless classic, High Noon.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Really not that bad for a sequel
TheLittleSongbird22 March 2010
I don't mind sequels, some are great like Home Alone 2 and Empire Strikes Back, some are nothing special but can be an improvement over their originals like Garfield 2 and others that belong in the garbage like Home Alone 4 and NeverEnding Story 3. This sequel really isn't that bad, at this point I don't think it belongs in either of these categories but in a category titled "a sequel that isn't as good as the original, but a sequel worth watching". It is very daft, even more dafter than Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, with a very silly final 20 minutes and the pacing at this point in the film isn't as strong as it was in the first 40 minutes, which was fun, fun, fun personified. Still, it is very entertaining for a number of reasons. It is nicely filmed, with a good soundtrack and some fun gags and physical comedy. But it was the performances that made it worthwhile. Rick Moranis reprises his role as Wayne and is immensely likable as always, and Marcia Strassman is great as Diane. Daniel and Joshua Shalikar are very cute as Adam, who has a nice, funny little laugh that doesn't grate, thank goodness. The other kids give appealing performances once again, the teen romance is evident here and is rather sappy, but hey I can live with that. Overall, for a sequel, this is really not bad. 7/10 Bethany Cox
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Honey, I Stunk the Script
kenjha12 May 2006
The lovable Szalinskis are at it again. In this inferior sequel to Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Dad blows up his little son to the size of a redwood. It is enjoyable enough in the beginning but after a while the filmmakers run out of ideas about what to do with a big baby. As with the first film, Moranis brings a lot of energy to his role and Strassman still looks cute but the other kids and the nosy neighbors are missed. The plot line about Moranis' wacky boss just gets out of hand and by the time the action moves to Vegas, the whole plot becomes tiresome. It may have helped if they had a cuter kid play Adam or if they had him do some funnier things.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
King Baby!
DarthBill9 April 2004
That affable, amiable, absent minded professor family man Wayne (Rick Moranis) is back, but now his experiments in size are funded by a big time company and he's a hot property. Unfortunately, his new toddler son, Adam, is the one who gets zapped this time, but instead of shrinking, he's turned into a toddler of Godzilla proportions. If you thought Wayne's wife was unhappy with Wayne shrinking their older son Nick and daughter Amy (who only cameos here) in the first film, just wait till you see her lose it here when she finds out her little boy Adam here! Now it's a race against time for Wayne to shrink Adam back down to size before he's destroyed by an uncaring society, with help from his now teenage son Nick and his girlfriend, Kerri Russell before she hit it big with "Felicity".

May strain the cuteness for some, will warm the hearts of others. Followed by a direct to video sequel that's not even worth the price of rental.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
give this dumb movie a break!
spectre316-19 July 2005
I expected some negative comments, but nearly every single one? C'mon, it's not that bad! It's really simple, stupid and (of course) illogical, but denying that there's no absurd comedic moments (the baby is kind of funny!) and no funny scenarios (the teenagers being stuck in the "toy car") seems bizarre to me.

I loved this film as a kid. There were specials on the Disney Channel when it finally (after what seemed like forever) premiered on there, and it was a rather neat experience for an eight year old.

In fact, I've watched this movie so many times as a kid that I've seen it a hell of a lot more than the unquestionably superior first movie. It was just one of those things.

Watching it now, I'll admit that the special effects can be rather cumbersome and the lines are almost always pure cheeseball (Rick Moranis' especially). Also, Keri Russell's work here is absolutely terrible; after watching a lot of "Felicity," I for some reason expected her to be at least near that quality. Not to mention the stupid "villian" who hits the baby with some projectile; very, very mock able.

But it's a nice little dumb movie! Who cares! It's certainly not "sequel hell," etc etc. It's entertaining at the very least.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Preeeety lame, Millhouse."
MovieAddict201629 June 2005
I really like the original "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" movie because it was clever, fun and I grew up on it. (Nostalgia always triumphs over film weaknesses.) However the sequel, "Honey I Blew Up the Kid," is absolutely terrible. Although it's not quite as bad as "We Shrunk Ourselves," it's still disastrous and a really poor cash-in on the original (which was an unexpected hit when it came out).

This one involves Wayne (Rick Moranis) the wacky inventor creating the opposite of his last machine - a ray gun that can blow up people (not literally, of course) and make them really huge. (This would certainly replace certain genitalia enlargement pills that exist on the market right now.) But oops, Wayne's toddler gets zapped by the sucker and turns into Godzilla.

The movie tries to rip off Godzilla and all those other cheesy movies by having Big Baby attack the Big City like a giant. Thankfully, he doesn't poop, because that would surely leave a stain on the city.

This movie is just lame. It isn't funny, it isn't clever, it's hard to watch at times. It's a disappointing sequel to a fun movie that never needed one.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
**** out of ****
clay-83 December 1998
"Honey, I blew up the kid" is wildly fun. When I first saw it back in '92, I couldn't believe how fun the film was. I actually prefer somewhat than Honey, I shrunk the kids. The characters were interesting. The whole relationship between Adam and Wayne was adorable and genuine. Wayne's character was very well developed as a clumsy genius who feels his wife doesn't think he knows what he's doing. And Adam himself has a great babyish personality that I found interesting and absorbing. This movie is a definite must-see. It reminds me a lot of Roland Emmerich's "Godzilla" more than any of the other godzilla movies. I also like how the movie doesn't copy from the original at all.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bigger is not always better
Monika-531 July 2000
I saw this film as well as the prequel in the theater, and they don't work nearly as well on the small screen. Matt Frewer and the rest of the "Thompson family" are sorely missed. Rick Moranis, Marcia Strassman, and Robert Oliveri try valiantly, but cannot save this movie. It doesn't have the spirit of adventure that the first one does. But this is also a great place to earmark the early career of Keri Russell, in her first major screen role.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
they tried, but it just wasn't funny
helpless_dancer6 April 1999
This sequel was just not funny. The nutty professor screwed up again, but this time he made the baby into a 50 foot monster. I was not impressed.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Absolutely wild and zany time which you will surely enjoy
Catherine_Grace_Zeh25 November 2005
HONEY, I BLEW UP THE KID, in my opinion, is an absolutely wild and zany time which you will surely enjoy. If you ask me, it was funny when Mandy (Keri Russell) said, "There's no way I'm changing those diapers." Also, if you ask me, Wayne (Rick Moranis) was even absent-minded than in the predecessor. Don't get me wrong, but I thought that it was funny when he told Diane (Marcia Strassman) that he blew up Adam (Daniel and Joshua Shalikar). Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that everyone involved did an outstanding job and I really liked the Las Vegas scenery. Now, in conclusion, if you like Rick Moranis or hilarious sci-fi adventures, I highly recommend this absolutely wild and wacky adventure that you will surely enjoy. You're in for a wild time if you haven't seen it, so get ready!
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than the first movie.
dhvidrine-movie27 January 2001
Seeing the baby turn into a 7 foot person and still getting taller was much better than seeing the characters shrunk in the first movie. I always thought that toddlers can be a real pain but seeing a giant toddler raise havoc in a house and in the city was very hysterical. There was great acting, a great use of common sense, great stunts,and every one played their own parts in a fantastic manner, and great music. I realized in a comical way that it is very hard to keep a giant baby from the neighbors, the press, the police, the government, the city, and his own mom! No wonder people wanted another movie from this series.I had to go to the bathroom several times since, I was laughing so hard at what the baby did throughout the movie. Even the animated introdution at the begining was great.Rent or buy this movie anyway you can it is so funny! I give it ten out of ten stars. Oh also look out for the guest star who plays Carl on Family Matters.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nothing To Hate But Nothing To Love,
FilmBuff199427 April 2013
Honey I Blew Up The Kid is a decent family movie with an average story line.The movie will definitely entertain a younger audience,but adults watching this movie with their kids will probably be bored,although I will say it isn't a horrible family film,its not the best,but its not the worst.The original,Honey I Shrunk The Kids,is definitely a much better movie for the whole family to watch.Honey I Blew Up The Kid will appeal to very young children,but the older audience will be bored,and fans of Honey I Shrunk The Kids will be disappointed by this sequel.

Wayne Szalinski (Rick Moranis) gets himself into another very difficult situation when a new experiment causes his youngest child keep growing more and more stories tall.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
When will they learn?
grahamsj312 February 2004
That sequels almost never work? When will I learn not to bother to see sequels? At any rate, this is a typical sequel and, like most sequels, it stinks next to the original. The first film was pretty decent, but not great and this one is a very large step down. Few sequels have even come close to the original film and this isn't one of them. I liked the first film (but didn't love it). I didn't think much of this one. You probably won't either.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
bullseye sequel
anne-dries1 April 2006
I don't get whats wrong with people, this sequel was a damn good follow up to the original(HISTK is my favorite childhood movie). We had all the characters back from the original, including Amy, in her very brief scene, the only people missing were the next door neighbors. There is one section in the movie where i was really enjoying it, that was when Adam was only tall enough to fit in the house and he was running a muck,i really enjoyed that. I really think they should have had Amy in it all the way to the end, if not, more little cameos of her, i thought it would have been cool if she was at collage and her and her friends were watching TV and then a news report pops up, like an update about the baby's massive proportions, and then she realizes its her brother.

All in all, this was a great movie, lighten up people, the sequel you all should be bagging is "we shrunk ourselves".
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Honey, they blew the sequel
rooboy8430 June 2002
This is a bad sequel. Bad acting, bad script. I'm surprised Wayne Szalinski did such a poor performance after he was great in the first movie.

Only up side is mild entertainment.

3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Niiiice!!!!!
Seth Nelson29 August 2006
Disney's second "Honey, I ___" movie, "Honey, I Blew Up The Kid," was made in 1992 and our geeky father who worked on the shrinking ray is back!!!!! This time, he was working on some sort of growth ray which used the same machine, but the bottom of a Coke bottle was used instead. First, we see the bunny stuffed animal get bigger. That was neat! Then, the kid got hit, and as time went on (especially when he was "Sweatin' to the Oldies" with Richard Simmons!), the kid would get bigger!!!!! He ended up in Vegas!!!!! He picked up cars, pushed down on mechanical legs (LOL), plus remember when as a baby, he broke someone's guitar? He broke the Hard Rock Cafe guitar!!!!! Now that's awesome!!!!!

These "Honey, I" movies are always good! But it's not over yet!!!!!

2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Classic
Punk1915 July 2005
Rick Moranis does it again.

Wayne Szalinski(Rock Moranis) is a genius. Only thing is, He isn't a genius around children and it really shows when he blows his son Adam(Daniel Shalikar and Joshua Shalikar) up. Not really but he made him bug. Now he, his eldest son Nick(Robert Oliveri) and a friend have to find him,catch him and shrink him before Dr.Charles Hendrickson(John Shea) finds him and makes him into a side show freak.

I'd say a good classic that needs a loving place on your shelf. Any film with Rick is a good one. Big Bully, Honey I shrunk The Kids, Honey I shrunk Ourselves, and many other I would recommend.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Honey, I Blew Up the Kid
Phil Hubbs18 September 2017
After the first (successful) movie surrounding shrinkage, and being heavily influenced by some classic sci-fi flicks of the 50's, it was inevitable that we'd see this. Again heavily influenced by some classic black and white sci-fi movies of the 50's, we now find the Szalinskis' with a bigger problem. Yep its basically 'Attack of the 50 Foot Baby' or another 'King Kong' clone/homage.

The plot: Well the title says it all really. Oh OK, set five years after the tiny events of the first movie, the Szalinskis' now live in Nevada. They have a new two year old son called Adam, Nick is now a teenager and Amy has gone to college. Funnily enough Wayne (Rick Moranis) is now working on a ray gun that will increase the size of objects. On a routine trip to his work space at Sterling Labs, little Adam is accidentally zapped with the ray but nothing seems to happen. Later on at home Adam is exposed to electrical waves from the microwave which appear to trigger the enlargement process. Slowly Adam begins to gradually grow bigger and bigger; Wayne and Nick must now try to reverse the process before Adam becomes a danger to himself and others.

So again the main draw here are the effects, the big breezy colourful effects. How do they stand up? Well not too well really. OK lets start positive, there are numerous sequences where it appears that they used someone in a large bodysuit. In some scenes we see live action shots Moranis with a live action giant toddler, but if you look closely this does appear to be a very good bodysuit on an obviously tall person. These shots are always from behind the large toddler so as not to give the game away but they are very effective. This showcases the innovation of the effects crew which unfortunately could only go so far. Other than the usual oversized and undersized props, which are always highly effective if sometimes a bit rubbery looking, much of this movie has to rely on bluescreen and rear projection.

And this is where the movie really falls down, the terrible terrible bluescreen/rear projection effects. The bulk of the effects are unfortunately reliant on these techniques and alas it all stands out like a sore thumb. There are clear brightness differences between the live action in the foreground and projected background. Thick black lines outline much of the effects and the colours are faded throughout. Overall the effect is just way too obvious and really takes you out of the movie. Heck even some of the large sets are bad looking, when Nick and his young female counterpart are riding in Adams oversized pocket, it just looks poor. There are some nice touches of forced perspective in a few shots but again you can see right through them. Don't get me wrong I give them an A for effort but clearly the effects team needed more money or skills, many movies came out before this and looked way better.

Other than the effects there isn't a great deal on offer here frankly. The plot sees a clich├ęd company villain (John Shea) going after the oversized Adam for his own nefarious dastardly deeds (still not entirely sure why he gets fired by Sterling, for being mean?). This inevitably brings about the inevitable 'King Kong' homages as they use helicopters to try and tranquilise Adam. Lloyd Bridges pops up as Clifford Sterling, president of the Sterling company, a company that does...scientific type stuff. Obviously Bridges brings his own brand of spoof-esque humour which is fine but a bit childish, yeah I know its a kids flick but still. Moranis brings home his lovable nerdy Louis Tulley-esque character again; complete with more outrageous inventions which are admittedly pleasing to the eye. Nothing new really, they reverse or mirror some scenes and dialog from the first movie.

The movie ends in Vegas which generally looks horrendous from start to finish effects wise. The movie also becomes very stupid as they apparently evacuate the Las Vegas strip in around five minutes. They also manage to coordinate getting all the lights switched off down the strip in five minutes, like all of them! No one gets hurt, nothing gets damaged, and the way they placate Adam is vomit inducing. I guess its all understandable seeing as its essentially a kids movie but its still very lame, lazy and dull.

Doesn't help that the kid they use for the role of Adam is just kinda annoying, but that's just me. I think the problem here is the over use of an idea, the Kong sized threat. Add to that the fact its a giant toddler which isn't particularly interesting or threatening, and of course the fact the first movie used a less common theme which was executed way better. Overall its all adds up to a relatively fun movie with the odd decent moment. Its just fails to capture the magic of the first movie; in this case miniature things are more fun I think.

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not as bad as people claim.
bwayjaime20 February 2017
I personally loved "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" and am a fan of Rick Moranis's work. As most sequels are, "Honey I Blew Up The Kid" is not nearly as good. I however still found it enjoyable. Yes, the effects are pretty awful, but don't forget that this movie is 25 years old and it's demographic was aimed towards children and families.

I did enjoy getting to see Nick, who was only 11 in the first movie, as a young teen, dealing with fitting in and relationships (much like Amy's struggle in the first).

One thing that I wish this sequel would have given is a little bit of discussion on the aftermath of the kids who were shrunk in the first movie.

I would recommend watching this sequel if you were a fan of the first, but also to go into it knowing it's not as good.
A well orchestrated sequel
Filipe Neto18 January 2017
This movie is the sequel to the movie "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids", a highly successful comedy film. Here, the story continues, with the machine still working the wrong way. This time, the younger son of Professor Szalinski (Rick Moranis) was unwittingly widened to the height of a giant. And if a normal baby gives work to parents, imagine a gigantic baby... The film continues to make you laugh like the first and have moments of great tenderness. However, it does not have the same strength as the first film. Here, we already know what that machine can do, especially given the successive distractions of its creator. The other children scientist also enter the film, which retained the original cast, but it is the mother, Diane (Marcia Strassman) who has particular relevance in this sequel. Despite being a sequel, the film maintained a good quality and went well. It's interesting, fun, good to see in family, especially if you have children.
Anything for a Buck
Hitchcoc5 January 2017
The people at Disney are smart when it comes to making money. They knew that when "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" was a real financial success, they could do the opposite thing and it would also bring in more bucks. And it did. However, the story has a big problem, which is mentioned by others. Everything is predicated on a baby, getting to be 100 feet high, reacting to things like a baby would to colors and light and interesting objects. The problem is that the joke gets stale about half way through the movie. When the little big guy becomes a threat, it gets sort of serious. It's up to Wayne to figure something out. If you don't want to use your brain at all, go see this. Otherwise, save a few buck and check out something with a little substance.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
They went in the wrong direction here...
Paul Magne Haakonsen31 December 2015
For a sequel then "Honey, I Blew Up the Kid" isn't too bad, as in comparison to many other sequels. However, It just wasn't fully as fun and good as the first movie. They shouldn't have gone in the scaling-up direction, as it just didn't really work out. Don't get me wrong though, I am not saying that it is a bad movie.

This is, like the first movie, a fun and wholehearted movie for the entire family. Personally, I liked the shrinking in the first movie much more.

The story is, well, quite the opposite from the first movie. In "Honey, I Blew Up the Kid", the youngest Szalinski member, Adam, is exposed to the growth ray and turns into a towering giant baby.

If you enjoyed the first movie then you will also enjoy the sequel, because it is right in the same spirit and genre.

Rick Moranis, Marcia Strassman and Robert Oliveri returns from the first movie. But Amy O'Neill was nowhere to be seen. But the sequel has other familiar faces on the cast list; Lloyd Bridges, John Shea, Keri Russell and Ron Canada.

"Honey, I Blew Up the Kid" is a sequel that is fairly worthy of the first movie.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
He's heading for the strip.....
FlashCallahan6 August 2015
Wayne Szalinski is trying to make a machine that can make things grow.

When he brings Nick & his toddler son Adam to see his invention, the machine unexpectedly starts working. And when Adam comes right up to the machine, he gets zapped along with his stuffed bunny.

Whenever Adam comes near anything electrical, the electricity causes him to grow. Adam soon starts to grow to the height of over 100 feet, he is now heading toward Las Vegas, which he thinks is one big play land.........

The first film was all about the effects and the dynamics between the shrunken kids. Moranis, as likable as he is, was just a name to sell the film with, after all, he's basically playing an intellectual Louis Tulley in this.

But it was a huge hit, so it was inevitable that a sequel was given the green light, and while it was inevitable it wasn't going to be as good as the original, the concept is really good.

It's basically King Kong as a gentle toddler, with Wayne trying to hide the fact that he's growing for a while, until it becomes obvious what is happening. This where the fundamental problem with the film lies, it doesn't know what to do when the toddler becomes gigantic, so we have Moranis doing all kinds of pratfalls around the animatronic baby parts, while his son is trying to woo Keri Russell.

Lloyd bridges turns up near the end to fire the bad guy and mug at the screen, but it's the film loses its way halfway through, and even though it's predominantly an effects movie, it should care about the narrative a little.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Repurposed horror doesn't quite work
SnoopyStyle30 January 2015
Wayne Szalinski (Rick Moranis) is at it again in Nevada. His house is full of his inventions. His wife Diane (Marcia Strassman) takes their daughter Amy away to college. His son Nick pines for the lovely Mandy Park (Keri Russell). Wayne has licensed his invention to Sterling Labs but they have trouble enlarging. While Wayne and Nick work on the machine, little Adam gets zapped without their knowledge. Soon Adam is growing larger and larger as he wrecks havoc upon Las Vegas.

There is something fun and magical about kids shrunk down living in the small world. A giant baby isn't the same thing. It plays differently like a B-horror hybrid. I'm not sure why the sister comes and then leaves the movie. Maybe she had something better to do. Also I don't like putting a corporation and military into the mix. It has some fun moments but it gets more and more tiresome.