IMDb > Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
Page 9 of 20: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Brilliant Once More

Author: illbebackreviews from Australia
3 January 2012

We all know that Home Alone was a classic film, but many people come to argue that this film isn't that great compared to No.1, but I completely disagree. Although the plot is yet pretty much the same, this film gives us a much darker impression. We realize that Kevin is no longer home alone, but lost in New York.

This is simply another one of those Christmas classics. Made two years after Home Alone 1, this film still contains the excitement and comedy that No.1. This film contains many sweet moments such as (SPOILERS***SPOILERS) the bird lady, Robbing the Shop, Ending and Leaving Hotel. The acting of basically everyone was still magnificent.Macauly Culkin, Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern did a brilliant job once more.

I realize this film only got a 6/10, but I believe it deserves a higher rating. This film is a film that I'll never be able to forget.

A Fun Sequel

Author: matchesmalone45 from United States
20 November 2011

I had enjoyed this movie a lot. It's not the first one, which you need to realize before watching this. But, it's still a lot of fun. Kevin is back in the Big Apple and ready to take on the idiotic thieves again. It's fun from start to finish and I was left satisfied by this sequel. The only problem with this one, which is a bit of a big problem if you ask me. I felt like I had seen it before in the first Home Alone. Kevin is on his own, then has to protect himself from Marv and Harry the funniest way possible. The second time around, it's funny, just not quite as funny. It's worth a good 2 hours of your time. Overall, a good and worthy sequel.

"If you can't board the right plane we'll have to cancel future trips, Kevin!"

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
18 November 2011

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York is a sequel that is almost identical in quality and plot to the first. The first film was a fresh new idea, but often misunderstood by people who weren't taking into consideration it was an exercise in childhood escapism. When you can look past its implausibility, it's a unique and amusing film for many, but different generations and different audiences will gradually differ in responses.

Now we have a sequel, which right off the bat sends me into useless quibbles. He doesn't have a home in New York, so how is he home alone? This could've easily been its own stand alone film if the characters were all different and just be called the film's subtitle "Lost in New York." But would it sell as well? Probably not. So bring back the three actors and we have ourselves a sequel.

The plot seems to be lifted directly from the original film. Due to a severe mix-up at the airport where Kevin (Culkin) follows a man wearing the same coat as his father, he is taken on a flight to New York instead of with his family who is going to Florida for Christmas. Kevin fearlessly checks himself into a hotel, gets settled in, then realizes the criminals he beat the hell out of (Pesci and Stern) in the first film come back and now have placed him back in their cross-hairs.

From there on out the plot becomes more jokes about being hit on the head and running away frantically. I give Macaulay Culkin a boatload of credit for not being one of the childhood actors like the ones on Full House where they spend a lot of their time standing still and looking cute. Culkin provides cute, boyish charm while creating eventful mishaps on screen. Just like in the first film; some antics are funny, some are redundant without being funny.

We also get a strange subplot with an old woman who enjoys feeding pigeons. She has been considered the "old creep" in town and has been shunned by her peers. That's how Kevin feels with his big family most of the time. Their connection is slim, but acceptable. While at the same time it feels almost contrived and not a very needed subplot. It does rest the tired hit-on-the-head jokes that have been hit over our head, pun intended, during the course of the film.

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York provides some nice shots of New York, some decently executed dialog, and delightful cameos like Ally Sheedy, Donald Trump, and, my favorite, Tim Curry. The only downside is you're watching the same film. It still fuels the "childhood escapism" tank like I mentioned before, but it does hardly anything new with it. It just rehashes a formula previously seen before. More imagination to the story could've been taken into consideration.

Or maybe, just not have a sequel at all. The first was an unexpected success, it did very well in theaters, and is still played repeatedly during the holiday season. The concept of a child being left alone to fend for himself by accident is a possible thing. Unfortunately, the sequel does little to expand the idea except by removing the four walls barricading the kid in the first film and giving him a full city to work with. A lot happens in this two hours. Quite a lot of things. Plausible or not, it's beginning to get very redundant. I suggest parental counseling and a dog leash.

Starring: Macaulay Culkin, Joe Pesci, and Daniel Stern. Directed by: Chris Columbus.

Sequel is probably better than the first.

Author: Rachel from United States
21 July 2011

This is probably the first time that the sequel is just as good, if not better, than the first movie. I find Home Alone 2 is a lot more exciting than Home Alone. First of all, they're in New York City! What's not to love about that? Almost every great movie is set in New York City. Next, instead of being somewhere he knows like the back of his hand, Kevin is all alone in a huge city. He has to fend for himself and make up a lot more lies than in the original, yet still gets away with them - for the most part.

This movie is also a little more realistic than the first. The whole time I was watching the first movie, I was thinking, why don't the parents just call the house and talk to Kevin? I know there's a phone there. In this one, they can't reach Kevin because there's no way. They don't know which flight he got on, so that means he could be anywhere in the world. Of course, what are the chances that you're going to see the same robbers you've put away in jail last year just walking around in New York City? That was very unrealistic, but the movie's just so cute and adorable, I can forgive them for that.

This movie is so sweet, and the perfect movie to watch on a Saturday night. It will undoubtedly make you finish the movie feeling a lot better than before.

Not as good as the first but way better than 3 and 4

Author: gpapa1998-24-961204 from United States
14 July 2011

It was not as good as the first mainly because I did not like the Pigeon lady as much as Marley, and also in this one it was also Kevin's fault that he got lost. He could have waited to get on the plane to get the batteries. This is why I think it was also his fault that he got lost. But it was way better than the third because Kevin was in it, the story was better, all the other characters were the same, it was a continuation of the first, the acting was good, and the plot was interesting. So once again not as good as the first but way better than 3 and 4. I also liked the traps. In the third one I did not like the traps very much. I did not like the pigeon lady at all. I mean it's not a smart thing to shun away from people because a guy broke your heart.

home alone I & II

Author: gensitaner from India
15 February 2011

very good performance by all the actors. i can't forget " Marv" uttering a real life hitting dialog when he pants for breath while crossing the street by a rope to the wood house (in H A I) to catch "kevin". time and again, one can watch the home alone I & II sequels. "kate" being played by Catherine O" Hara, shows her maternal instincts. it still makes me wonder as to why either of these sequels did not qualify for an Oscar. be the shoveling old man in the first of H A or the pigeon lady in the second, both coming to the rescue of "kevin" had done their roles excellently.even though the movies may appear meant for child audience at large,ones, still they convey a telling message to all. sadly, however H A III has failed to impress the audience by and large. harry and Marv make a good combination

Best sequel ever made!!

Author: jsn_hylnd from United States
20 May 2010

I love this movie just as much as it's prodecessor I had the pleasure of seeing this movie in theaters in 92 and I've watched it a zillion times ever since This movie is almost exactly the same as the original except this times he's in new york and this one has Tim curry and Rob schneider and they are a joy to watch in this one. Highly recommended for everyone. This movie basically takes place a year after the original and it starts out exactly the same as the first, Kevin gets into a fight with Buzz and he is forced to sleep in the attic again and the electricity goes out again and the McCallisters are in another rush to the airport and this time Kevin follows a guy who looks like his dad and he ends up getting on a plane to New york. While there he runs into the same bumbling burglars from the first movie and they are ready for a big holiday heist and it's up to Kevin to try and stop them. Very funny and the traps are even more violent and hilarious.

First rate popcorn adventure.

Author: Dolemite_motherfcker from United Kingdom
13 September 2009

Home Alone 2 tops the first Home Alone. It's even funnier and the the two burglars take an even more savage thrashing this time around from the charming and witty Kevin. It is also a more exciting movie. It makes you feel the rush that a smart young kid like Kevin (if there even are any in real life) would feel being alone in the sprawling metropolis of New York City, having the time of his life. We soon meet Harry and Marv again, but it takes a while for that inevitable moment which we eagerly anticipate of Kevin and the two Burglars bumping into each other. Kevin's final showdown with Harry and Marv takes place in an abandoned three story town house, in which he has some very nasty tricks up his sleeve to keep them at bay. This is where the movie has some minor issues. It is hard to believe how the two burglars fall for pretty much the same old tricks as they did during their first encounter with Kevin in the original. Also, at times they stand around like buffoons as Kevin sends heavy objects hurtling towards them instead of trying to dodge out of the way. Still, some of the slapstick involving Kevin's new booby traps is believable enough, not taking into account some of the physics involved and the amount of punishment Harry and Marv can take. My what troopers they are in this film.

Anyway, this is solid entertainment for a lazy night in. For vegging out on the couch and switching your brain off, Home Alone 2 is hard to beat.

excellent

Author: joshua-halstead from United States
31 August 2009

this was almost on par with the first one. it was creative and though it may look like just a repeat of the first one surprisingly in was a completely different plot. this is another great john Hughes movie. it was all about laughs. it was intelligent but yet it was goofy. a decent sequel. very funny. it had good film making quality. though it is very predictable it is very entertaining. it has a little stupid humor which you have to expect from john Hughes and McCully Culkin. like most child films it was slightly immature. kids will love it!!!!!! adults will really like it. it's one to own and watch over and over. Joe pesci and Daniel stern give great performances as harry and Marv. McCully Culkin is very convincing.

Pleasant sequel, almost an exact copy of the first

Author: long-ford from India
23 February 2009

If you liked the first film you will like this sequel. It's as simple as that. Thereis nothing particularly unique about the Home Alone series where a precocious kid (Macaulay Culkin) outsmarts some crooks and subjects them to rather painful cartoon-like violence. If anything, the violence is worse this time round. However, the setting is Christmas which gives the perfect excuse for a family-friendly soundtrack. Culkin is decent though a bit too smart while Joe Pesci brings a lot of energy to his role. This is a pleasant watch specially at home on television/DVD.

Overall 6/10