IMDb > Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
Page 4 of 19: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Filled me with hysterical laughs...great, great Christmas movie!

Author: karl_with-12 from Leeds, UK, Europe, Planet Earth, Space
22 December 2009

I've never been much of a fan of the HA movies. Yes I've heard of them but I never actually bothered to watch them. But after I saw this movie it made me realise how entertaining and hysterical they are. It was just yesterday when I was watching a TV programme, I realised that this film was on next and it was then that I decided to watch it (just to not be bored.) I had my doubts about this film, not knowing what "joy" to expect because as I've said, I never seen any of the HA movies nor the prequel: however I was able to catch on during the first 5 minutes of the film. Let me say I was throughly proved wrong during 5 or so minutes of the film. I half expected myself to switch to a different channel, never giving this film a chance as I felt that it was just going to be another boring Christmas movie. BUT, I was so overwhelmed by this film that I set off continuing to watch it...all the way through! I just loved it, I guess it just had that Christmasy spark and adventure. And let me say, it is very rare I would watch a film all the way to the end without even switching channels and feeling bored.

The plot, I admit, was typical yet it had a really big impact on the film as it gave it its surreal adventure. I really enjoyed it but I believe it was utter coincidence that a kid could board on a plane, not knowing that his family was on another flight and finally they are separated all the way across the country. It would be terrifying for me as I do not know what I would do without my family...knowing they're not in the same country as I am and I was alone! But from the movies perspective, some good things came out of it (especially when you're in the city that never sleeps!) Room service, dining, luxurious suites, credit cards..aah! Kid's lucky! And also in this movie the kid acts so calm and independent and yet he's not at all scared that his family is halfway across the country!

And speaking of being scared...how could you not be?? The mom + dad didn't look so worried when they soon found out that their kid is missing. Sure...despite the fact that the mom fainted, she didn't actually show any real worry! I was surprised that her and her husband was cracking up jokes in the police office when their son could be lost anywhere around the world...! And *psst;;;;spoiler;;;;* when the mom actually found her son, she wasn't even crying of joy! Finding your son in a big dangerous city would take a miracle (well, even though it's Christmas) and the mom was just like "Ooh, I'm so glad to see you!"... seriously!

Speaking of being serious...the films climax was one HECK of a ride! The booby traps from the kid was very creative yet amazingly harsh!! I was expecting that the two bandits were to be killed at the end of the movie as they were heavily electrocuted (you SERIOUSLY could die), pelted with stone-hard bricks,(again!) attacked by a heard of pigeons and various nuts, bolts and hammers and fallen through spaces leading to another cruel booby trap (ouch!) and yet they didn't seem to break any part of their body -- let alone be killed!

Yeah, so the booby traps were (like I said) "harsh" and the film makes it look like it's so easy to throw bricks at someone and know they'll be just okay... and not dead!...

MY ADVICE: Don't let your kids watch this, seriously acknowledge the PG rating!!

But in spite of the silly action in the climax, I actually enjoyed the climax!! It was the best part in the movie and let me say it kept me on the edge of my seat!

See that's the thing with Home Alone 2, the action just keeps your eyes glued to the screen! There were also some REALLY funny parts as well, like when Kevin was trying to escape from the hotel and of course, the ridiculous climax! (as I've already noted!)

Pushing on to the characters, the relationship between Kevin and the pigeon lady was quite interesting. It just shows that Kevin was not alone and there was always a helping hand (which definitely came in use!*not saying any more, but you could probably work that out! sorry!*). Plus the scene where they had that talk, comprehending their feelings to one another was sweet, in comparison to the part when Kevin gave the lady a mini pigeon as a token of their friendship and saying "I'll never forget you..."

What would make Home Alone 2 even better is if there were two stories. One of Kevin's New York Adventure and also one about the family trying to find him. Sure we definitely touched on Kevins' side but what about the family? It would sort of be good if the film was created into like a 'Finding Nemo' type story (but NOT a big drama!) so we would have both adventures...

Overall it comes down to Home Alone 2 to being THE Christmas movie! I genuinely loved it, it was sweet, funny and keeps you on the edge of your seat until the very end. But seriously if you're watching this film with young kids, watch out for the climax! But other than that, I would definitely recommend it!

*********/10 stars!!!

Merry Christmas and a happy new year, everyone!

~Karl

:D

A great sequel!

Author: jvfunn1 from Zephyrhills FL
27 July 2009

I think Home Alone 2 Lost in New York is a great sequel to the first Home Alone movie! In this sequel Kevin McCallister is planning to go on a trip to Miami Florida with his family but accidentally gets separated from them at the airport and accidentally gets on a plane to New York City. Once in NYC Kevin checks himself into the Plaza Hotel but the next day his father's credit card is discovered stolen by the Concear (Tim Curry) who scares Kevin away from the hotel! Upon escaping the hotel Kevin learns that the burglars who broke into his house Harry (Joe Pesci) and Marv (Daniel Stern) have broken out of jail and are planning to rob the toy story owned by Mr. Duncan (Eddie Bracken) who Kevin visited before getting scared away from the hotel and who gave Kevin two turtle doves! With the help of some new traps and a kindly homeless Bird Woman (Brenda Fricker) Kevin traps the burglars again and sends them back to jail where they belong! Filled with wonderful new characters and a lot of laughter and humorous Home Alone 2 Lost in New York City is a great sequel the whole family can enjoy! 10 out of 10!

a good sequel i've seen for the first time

Author: jamiem-20 from United States
8 May 2007

There aren't very many sequels I've seen but enjoyed. This is probably my most favorite sequel in the world. It's just as good as the first. Mac stars as Kevin again in this super-silly sequel, but lands in NYC. As soon as his family finds out he's missing, they do everything to find him. But he has a blast in NYC. But he uses his dad's credit card and Harry and Marv (from the first) and follow him everywhere he goes. Then he does the same thing in the first, but only at his Uncle Rob's. This is a good sequel. But just don't watch the 3rd. It sucks. This film made more cash than the first. But they're both good no matter what. So if you don't own it, rent it, watch it, enjoy it and if you love it, own it. The more Mac, the merrier.

Better than the first.

Author: wholelottame from United States
24 July 2006

I don't know what people have against family movies (besides harry potter obviously) but the pathetic rating that this movie got on IMDb really does not reflect how good this movie is. Thanks to originality and some great ideas, Home Alone was also one of the best movies when it released and its sequel is even better than the first, with a more detailed and extensive setting, a new array of characters who are also very well developed. Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern return and their performances are as brilliant and unmissable as usual. Todays movies may be slightly better made but the Home Alone series are definitely classics. Too bad McCauley culkin went all druggie and all. This movie gave him a lot of credibility at one time.

A Great Sequel

Author: Ginger87 from New York City
21 August 2004

*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*

"Home Alone 2: Lost in New York" is a great sequel to "Home Alone". It is funny, clever, and it takes place in New York City(where I live).It is also one my favorite movies. This time Kevin is in New York and must defend himself from the same two robbers.

My favorite part of the movie is when Kevin sets up a "pretend" father in the shower. That gave me some good laughs. I also liked the part when Kevin throws a big bar down the stairs to hit the robbers.

Overall I love this movie like "Home Alone" and suggest anyone who saw the first to see this one. I give this movie 10/10 stars.

Same as the first? Sure, but who cares!?

Author: wilywilliam from London England
8 October 2002

Okay, so this is pretty much a repeat of Home Alone, but that begs the question, how on earth did it make me laugh so much? The slapstick of Harry and Marv is nothing short of genius, and Kevin is as ingenious as ever. I know that it's cheesy, and I know that slapstick isn't everyone's cup of tea, but come on, just enjoy it for what it is - brilliant and silly comedy.

Great Film, Weird Story behind it though!

Author: SouthNorfolkKid from Tidewater Virginia
20 May 2002

Possible Spoilers Ahead!

Well, I was only like 7 when this came out so I didn't see this film till about 4 years later. I do remember hearing lots about this series so I was tickeled to find find out that Fox was showing it Sunday Night, Dec. 8, 1996. I'd taped the original Home Alone, 2 and a half weeks earlier so now I'd get to have both! 'cuz it was a Sunday night I set up the VCR to record it 'cuz I'd be at church that night, we had to pick up someone who needed a ride too so that would take time. It was dark that night and right as the VRC started taping this film, our car got obilterated by a stupid, drunk driver on I-464.

Back to Home Alone 2! As if Kevin's parent didn't learn their lesson from last year, they again lose him! Well, at least they didn't leave him home. Kevin gets separated at the airport. Not that he minds, the night before he said he wanted a vacation all by himself! Now, he's got it and what fun he has in the big apple. After ringing up a huge bill at the Plaza Hotel he goes shopping for toys. Now if you've heard anything at all bout this film you know sooner or later Kevin will meet his pals from the first film. Well, turns out Harry and Marv broke out of prison and are in New York. In a city with millions of people what are the odds they'd meet? In this film, pretty good! I'm amazed that when they do see him there hardly even surprised! And after the beating the took from little Kevin in the first film, You would think they would be the ones to scream and run away from that "little bundel of Misery" well, anyways Kevin gets away but he later finds out the "Sticky Bandits" (as their now called) are gonna rob the same toy store Kevin went to. Well, thats going to far right? I think so.

Lucky for Kevin, his uncle has an old abandoned apartment nearby. This place is perfect! I'd suppose Kevin couldn't ask for a better place to set traps! Its got holes, paint cans, staple guns, electric generators, gallons of gasoline and kerosine, tool chests, and all this slimy stuff! What ensues makes the poor burglars wish they had stayed in prison! In the end, those poor dudes are dropped from a flaming rope, 4 stories onto a concrete floor, then hit by a dozen paint cans! What pain and anguish! Surely thats a bit harsh, even for burglery and attempted murder (they put a gun to kevins' sweet little blond hair, though we never believe for a second he'll fire!)

This is right where I got home from church. A friend gave us a ride back and let us borrow a car for a month (which we needed for our paper route). So I got back just in time to see Kevin get reunited with his disfunctional family and then get screamed at FOR SPENDING 967 DOLLARS ON ROOM SERVICE! Great film. Mac just about reached his best in this film (he was perfect in "The Good Son" which was his last Good Film!) Wonderful music by John Williams as usual and well, All around a fun film to watch and as I found out, if your car is on a wrecker being towed to the nearest junk yard it'll put you in a good mood!!!!! Five outa Five Stars.

Carbon copy fails to find its feet

Author: mark-whait from United Kingdom
18 December 2010

Whilst John Hughes did an admirable job in reuniting virtually the whole cast for this remake of the 1990 smash hit, that it about the only positive thing to take from this lame sequel. What is remarkable is that this is virtually a scene-for-scene remake of the original, without any discernible attempt to revisit any new ideas or conceptions. Perhaps given the box office success of the original, the producers were at pains not to stray from the well beaten commercial path of success. Not even the idea of setting the movie in New York does enough to breathe fresh life into the same old premise. Culkin's career never recovered from this, and although the film was yet again inevitably a smash hit, audiences will feel a little short changed and certainly think they've seen it all before (which of course they have).

round 2 (8.5/10)

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
24 November 2008

Home Alone 2 has pretty much the same general plot as the first one.a few of the particulars have changed,including the location.this time Kevin is Lost in New York,while his family is somewhere else.the 2 bumbling Robbers,Marv(Daniel Stern)and Harry(Joe Pesci)return and of course meet up with Kevin and slapstick ensues.this movie is a bit longer,and i felt it took a while to get going,but once it does,it's very funny.the booby traps Kevin designs are just as elaborate and cause a lot of pain and grief for Harry and Marv,and a lot of hilarity for the audience.this movie is a bit more touching and heartwarming than the first one,and at least as funny.the only downside for me is the slow beginning.otherwise,it pretty much lives up to the first one.for me,Home Alone 2 Is an 8.5/10

Mcauley Culkin's back in Home alone 2 that is even more better than last year.

Author: husnain ali from London, England
1 October 2005

If you loved Home Alone your definitely going to love Home Alone 2.It's a bit same as last year but this time i'ts even better.This time Kevin Mcalister's (Macauley Culkins) in New York and he's got even more better tricks than last year.Harry (Joe Pesci)and Marv(Daniel Stern)have escaped prison and are in New York too.Harry and Marv are robbing a toy store this time and get caught by Kevin Mcalister again. ( Kevin takes a picture of Hary and Marv,and runs to his cousin's house where he has set the traps because his cousins have gone on vacation to Paris and is on the balcony and is followed by Harry and Marv)

"Pass the camera boy,and we'll leave."says Harry.

"Promise".says Kevin.

"Across my heart and hope to die."

(Kevin turns to get a brick but Harry and Marv start to laugh because they think it's the camera)

(Kevin throws down the brick and it hits Marv)

(Then he throws it again and it hit's Marv again)