IMDb > Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
Page 13 of 19: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

this movie is better than "Home Alone"

Author: Indy-52
11 March 2000

i have always liked Home Alone 2 better than Home Alone. Harry and Marv are funnier than ever in this film. Also Macaulay's acting has improved, he's really comfortable in his role now. The setting in New York at christmas is great, this was the movie that made me want to go to New York. There are much more and much better traps. Lowpoint is, it's pretty much identical to the first one. I guess that actually makes this movie rubbish, but it's fun rubbish. The scenes with Kevin and the burglars save it.

Better than the first but....

Author: anonymous from Rhinebeck, NY
29 June 1999

I found Home Alone 2: Lost in New York better than the first because I just like how they thought about making a sequel, of course the parents couldn't forget him this time but in this movie he really wasn't Home Alone....

Don't make me laugh!

Author: chris (113717.1741@compuserve.com) from 7th level of sidcup
7 February 1999

My lair is filled with booby traps. Nobody has ever survived the potato minefield. Unfortunately, one of my minions was decapitated trying to bring me this film. I watched it while wondering how they could classify it as comedy. The worst thing about it is that it is identical to the original. This is because the original was equally rubbish. And also, I believe that Macaulay Culkin has all the acting techniques of a half-eaten parsnip. Pesci is the only member of the cast that makes this film worth seeing. But he should still be cooked in a trouser-press for this. Well, now I must return to planning the destruction of Sidcup Cinema...

Good but.....

Author: Overlord-4 from Australia
17 October 1998

The movie was excellent, filled with traps and comedy. But I don't understand how those criminals stood the pain, they just didn't give up, how? Marv got a huge voltage shock and was ok after a little time, same with Harry. Anyway it was a funny movie.

Personally, I Enjoyed This One More Than The First.

Author: Edward Goldenberg from United States
22 July 2015

One year after Kevin was left home alone and had to defeat a pair of bumbling burglars, he accidentally finds himself in New York City, and the same criminals are not far behind.

Considering how much I enjoyed the first Home Alone movie, I thought that it would be worth it to see the second film. Is it worth it? Yes it is, yes it is, oh yes it is. Personally, I enjoyed this one more than the first, as it has more action, more laughs, and more excitement in it than the first film. Basically, the filmmakers from the first film take the previous formula, they change the setting, and they add some more action to it, and we get this movie, a film that's got twice as much action and laughs than ever before. Some of the critics complained that the movie was too cartoonish and sadistic as far as its gags were concerned. In my opinion, I didn't think that, as the gags were hilarious, and also, it's a movie, what is in the movie isn't supposed to be realistic. Basically, if you enjoyed the first film, then you will probably end up enjoying this one even more, as the laughs are even bigger than in the previous film.

As with the first film, the cast in the movie all do very well jobs with their acting. Once again, Macaulay Culkin is superb in his role as Kevin McCallister, who is stranded again, but this time in New York. Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern are hilarious in their roles as Harry and Marv, the two burglars from the first film who haven't forgotten about their last encounter with Kevin. Tim Curry gives a hilarious performance as the concierge of a hotel that becomes very suspicious of Kevin. Basically, the entire cast did well, but Culkin, Pesci, Stern, and Curry did the best in my opinion. Like I said with the first film, Culkin was one of the greatest child actors in show business.

As I said, this movie contains numerous hysterical bits. There's a hysterical scene where Kevin puts an inflatable Bozo The Clown in the shower, and when Tim Curry sneaks into the room to see what Kevin's up to, Kevin plays a recording of his uncle, causing Tim Curry to get startled and run out of the room, then there's the scene with the gangster movie. However, the funniest scenes occur in the climax, where Kevin does what he did to Marv and Harry in the previous film, set up traps for them, and boy, the laughs come rolling in big quantities in those scenes.

If you enjoyed Home Alone, then Home Alone 2 is something that you've got to see, as it is even better than the first film. Why there can't be comedies like this one nowadays I have absolutely no clue, perhaps if they did, then maybe the movie industry would be better. So if you want laughs, then this is a movie that will do it, and when it gives laughs, it gives big ones at that. In fact, if you want to do something really fun, then watch this movie right after you watch the first one, that will really fulfill your comedy desire.

Entertaining As The First Film

Author: Desertman84 from United States
2 March 2015

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York is a Christmas family comedy that was written and directed by John Hughes and Chris Columbus respectively.It was a sequel to the highest grossing holiday comedy,Home Alone.Macaulay Culkin returns as Kevin McCallister,who in the story is once again left on his own by his parents and once again goes up against his former nemeses who tried to rob their house,the Wet Bandits,portrayed by Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern.Catherine O'Hara, John Heard, Tim Curry, and Brenda Fricker are also featured.

Once again Kevin McCallister's family leave him behind.This time,he he gets on a flight to New York instead of going with his family to Miami. Kevin manages to get a cab and gets into the Plaza Hotel.Using his father's credit card,he was able to rent a suite and was able to escape as well as fool hotel employees. But then he runs into his old enemies Harry and Marv. When he finds out that they plan on robbing the old man's toy store on Christmas Eve,he tries to stop them from succeeding and battles again them just like in the original film.

While this sequel is almost the same plot as the first film,it still manages to provide joy and entertainment to the viewers.Kevin surprisingly was able to show a few tricks as he goes up against his enemies especially being left alone in a big city like New York.The performance of the cast was good.Special mention should be given to Culkin and Pesci as Kevin and Harry.Despite the fact that it provides nothing new,it is still fair to say that the sequel was not bad and it would probably be comparable to the original film.No wonder a lot of people still saw it when it was theatrically released.

A Worthy Sequel To A Holiday Classic

Author: bayardhiler from United States
22 January 2015

Normally, sequels to great films more often than not fail to live up to the first one, usually because the producers feel the urge to rush them out with whatever story they can glue together in five minutes without incorporating what made the original film great. Every now and then, though, sometimes Hollywood gets it right a second time. 1992's "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York" is one such case. Taking place one year after the events in the first film, the cast once again includes the charming Macaulay Culkin as that devilish but lovable Kevin McCallister and pretty much everyone else, from Catherine O'Hara as the mother, to Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern as the bungling thieves Harry and Marv. Once again the family is readying for another Christmas trip, this time to Miami, and like the first one, the alarm doesn't go off when it's supposed and it's a mad rush to the airport. Only this time, instead of leaving Kevin behind, Kevin manages to get to the airport but alas gets on the wrong flight after following a man who has the same coat, same hair style from the back as his father does! As you can probably guess from the title, Kevin ends up in New York, checks into the fancy Plaza Hotel with his dad's credit card (Were we are treated to a cameo from the Donald himself, Mr. Donald Trump, the owner of the hotel at the time) and living the dream. However, he won't be able to rest for long; Harry and Marv have busted out of prison and they decide to go to (Where else?) New York. Of course, it means another Christmas in the trenches as Kevin must prevent the two heartless but dimwitted thieves from knocking off a toy store whose proceeds are to go to the children's hospital. Can Kevin win again or are the tables to be turned?

Although it may not be quite on the same level as the first one, I can honestly say I have just as much fun watching "Home Alone 2" every year as I do the original. A big reason for this is probably due to the return of almost all the cast members, and I do mean almost everyone, from John Heard as the father to Gerry Bamman as the much hated Uncle Frank. Another reason is the return of Chris Columbus as director, whose shots of New York are as dazzling and enchanting as those in the first one. Indeed, Central Park has rarely been filmed as beautifully as it is here. Plus, the script is once again written by the late, great John Hughes, which means the story has plenty of laughs in addition to heart. True, the skits in this one are a bit more outrageous than in the original (In one scene, the film asks us to believe that a person, in this case Marv, can be hit with multiple bricks from a five story window and not suffer death or permanent brain damage!). However, folks, considering that this is a holiday comedy, I don't think it's too much to ask that we suspend our disbelief just a little. As for the music score, once again the legendary John Williams does his magic, producing what could be an even better score than the first, including new songs like the heart tugging "Christmas Star", one of the most beautiful and underrated Christmas songs ever. In many ways, you could say "Home Alone 2" is remake of the first one, only one that retains both the comedy and magic of the original version (Something that can't be said for any of the ones that followed it!). So, with all that said, gather around children and watch that most rarity of rarities, a truly magical sequel in the form of "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York". And, regardless of what time of year it may be, Merry Christmas!!!!!

I Like This Better Than The First

Author: byson5186 from Allentown, PA
25 September 2014

While not everybody seems to be a fan of the first two Home Alone movies, and it seems like everybody has seen them and remembers Macaulay Culkin mostly from when he starred in these movies. The second Home Alone didn't make as much money as the first Home Alone, and while neither of these movies are bad I'm surprised they made as much money as they did. It seems like movies that have tried to copy off the slapstick humor or even Home Alone theme haven't done as well since the first two. I mean one movie I like more than Home Alone and feel like it has more of a plot, is Blank Check. If you watch Blank Check, you'll notice numerous similarities. While I believe you can find the first two movies on TV all year around, you'll most definitely find them on TV during the Holiday Season on channels like ABC Family. I even have a friend who called the Holiday Season The Home Alone Season, as these films are on TV then and seem like the most popular Christmas films. When movie rental stores were open it was hard to rent Home Alone around Christmas. These Home Alone movies show a somewhat wealthy family getting ready for a vacation. I mean a family that is going on vacation with their extended family to Paris in the first film and Florida in the second. In both movies, the youngest Kevin doesn't get on the plane with them. They're movies that will put you in the Holiday Season spirit. I mean, I'm sure most of us have watched both Home Alone movies more than once. I always enjoy watching them during the Holiday Season as they get you into the Christmas Spirit, and you'll probably really remember the movie from past Holiday Seasons. I wouldn't recommend watching this movie outside the Holiday Season, because just like you likely wouldn't listen to Christmas music outside the Holiday Season, this movie makes the Holiday Season special, just gives you a feeling of it. But, what I like better about the second movie than first. I watched the first movie like six months ago and didn't enjoy it as much. Yeah, I'm sure I'll see it again especially during the holiday season, but I've noticed the first one seems somewhat dark, quiet, it seems mostly about Kevin, and there aren't many exciting scenes until the climax which we mostly remember the movie for. I like the 2nd one, because it is less quiet, I mean Kevin is around more people while in the first movie he was just in his quiet neighborhood that all his neighbors seemed to leave. In this one, he's in NYC the City that never sleeps, and NYC is really exciting and fun to be at during the Holiday Season as this movie clearly shows, and it shows Florida as not being as exciting to be at during the Holiday Season as like whenever they show his family in Florida, it's raining. Kevin has more excitement, as rather than just being left at home he is having his own vacation in a really nice hotel along with getting a limousine. It shows a toy store Duncan's Toy Chest, which is supposed to be off of FAO Schwartz. The traps in this movie are more funny and violent, I mean I crack up every time I watch this movie, and a lot of the traps would have left the burglars dead. So, it will likely keep you laughing as we see a face off between Kevin and the burglars. It's also a great movie to watch if you want to see the excitement of NYC during the holiday season. While this movie isn't like my favorite movie I give it a 10/10 because I think it is well done.

Good if Unoriginal Sequel

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
21 December 2012

Home Alone 2 (1992)

*** (out of 4)

A year after the events in the previous film, 10-year-old Kevin McCallister (Macaulay Culkin) finds himself alone once again but this time in New York City. It doesn't take long for him to run into Harry and Marv (Joe Pesci, Daniel Stern) who plan on robbing a toy store for some charity cash. It's funny but growing up I always thought HOME ALONE 2 was better than the original but revisiting it after all these years has me changing my mind. I was really surprised to see how this one didn't quite hold up as well as the original and I think a lot of it has to do with some pretty big errors with the screenplay. Needless to say, the main reason for this thing being made was because the first was such a massive hit. You can expect this type of sequel to be pretty much a remake as everything funny in the first film is copied here. This includes the old gangster movie with the gun, the various knocks and beatings taken by the crooks and of course the "true" meaning of family. All of that stuff here is still funny but it just doesn't come close to what the original offered. The biggest problem with HOME ALONE 2 is its running time, which is just way too long for this film and after a while you're really wishing that it would hurry up and end. Still, there's no question that Culkin is just wonderful here in the role that he will always be remembered for. Both Pesci and Stern are fun as the bad guys and we get nice support from Catherine O'Hara and John Heard who have to be the worst parents in screen history. Tim Curry is also fun in his small role.

An unfunny and fairly tiring sequel that copies its predecessor too much

Author: Electrified_Voltage from Guelph, Ontario, Canada
7 January 2010

I saw a bit of this film on TV as a kid, but didn't know it was "Home Alone 2". For many years, I thought maybe it was the original "Home Alone" I was seeing, until last year, when I finally watched that successful family Christmas movie for the first time and didn't recognize any of it. I found the original to be overrated, and couldn't understand why it was such an incredibly huge success at the box office during its theatrical run in 1990, but at least I laughed at times. It's been nearly a year since I saw that one, and I finally found a copy of "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York" to rent earlier this week. In my opinion, the original is a mixed blessing, slightly above average, but this 1992 sequel isn't even that. It's basically just average.

This year, the McCallister family in Chicago has another Christmas trip planned, a trip to Miami, Florida. On the day of their flight, the parents, Kate and Peter, once again sleep in and have to hurry, but nobody is left at home this time. However, Kevin, who was the one left at home on the previous trip, is accidentally separated from his family at the airport in Chicago, and gets on the wrong plane! While the rest of the family go to Miami, Kevin ends up in New York City, and the others don't realize he's not with them until they have arrived at their destination! Trying to find him will not be easy, as he is not in Chicago, and his parents don't know where else he could have gone! Meanwhile, Kevin decides to make the best of the situation, and manages to rent out a hotel suite using his father's credit card. Unbeknownst to the lost boy, his old enemies, Harry and Marv, have escaped from prison, and are in the same city as him!

Just like the first film, this sequel begins in the McCallister household, with more unfunny quarrelling in the family, and it's sometimes a little too mean-spirited. The part where Kevin sees his Uncle Frank in the shower is pretty lame, and it's not the only gag in the film that can be described that way. The movie continues to be very straight-faced for a long time, definitely longer than its predecessor, and never does get as funny. It often seems like they were pathetically trying to replicate the original "Home Alone", which doesn't help. I think I consistently kept a straight face until the part where they've arrived in Miami and Kate McCallister (still played by Catherine O'Hara) faints when she realizes Kevin isn't there. This was the first of several gags that made me smile, but O'Hara certainly doesn't do as much for this film as she did for the original "Home Alone". I came close to laughing for the first time when Kevin uses part of a movie to scare off hotel staff members while he escapes, but I don't think the movie gag ever gets as funny as it does in the previous film. I lightly snickered at the part where Marv falls after entering a home under renovation, not realizing there's no floor in front of him, but I never found any big laughs. In fact, there are hardly any laughs at all, and only occasional gags that made me smile.

Watching this sequel made me think of the "Home Alone 5" joke in the short-lived mid-nineties cartoon series, "The Critic". I think watching "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York" helped me get a slightly better understanding of that spoof. This movie does show a lot of repetition after its predecessor. In both films, Kevin is accidentally abandoned by his family, he's afraid of a certain adult stranger he sees more than once but eventually gets to know them and befriends them, he puts Harry and Marv through loads of slapstick mayhem before they finally catch him, and then he is saved by his new friend. Not only is "Home Alone 2" not very original, it's also not very funny. After the first two films in the franchise, "Home Alone 3" was released in 1997, and "Home Alone 4" in 2002. These films both feature different casts (Macaulay Culkin was obviously too old to star in them by the time they were made), and the third one features different characters. The franchise clearly didn't go in the direction predicted in "The Critic", but since the two later movies both seem pretty unpopular, and are apparently worse than this mediocre second film, I really don't think I'll be watching either of them.