IMDb > Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Yes, same plot, but it still gets the same laughs as the first one did if not more

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
23 November 2003

Now I'm aware that Home Alone 2: Lost in New York is the exact same plot as the first Home Alone, and not to mention how silly it seems that these folks would leave their kid behind, but come on, this movie was all in good fun. It still has me constantly laughing 'till this day, I think if you loved the first Home Alone, I'm sure that you'll just naturally love this one as well. Not too many folks are just giving it a good chance. I mean, the Wet Bandants are back and they are just as funny as ever! I think this house that Kevin set up was actually in some ways a little more fun than the first because of the traps he was able to set. Not to mention the Plaza Hotel plot was so great and fun to watch.

Kevin and his family are heading down to Florida for Christmas this year, but when Kevin gets mixed up at the air port and gets on the wrong flight, he ends up in New York. Instead of complaining or panicking, he just plain enjoys it. He goes on the ultimate tour with his father's bag of money and credit cards and cons himself into the Plaza Hotel claiming he's there with his dad. But the Wet Bandants who have now re-named themselves as the Sticky Bandants are in New York as well and are planning on stealing all the money from a toy store that is going to be given to the children's hospital. But Kevin is going to make sure that they don't mess around with the kids and has set his uncle's abandoned apartment up for a fun house of traps.

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York was an absolute blast. The reason I'm giving it a ten is because I think the rating should be higher. People really need to give this movie a shot. My favorite scene is without a doubt when Marv gets hit in the face with the bricks, also, the scene where the Plaza Hotel managers are asked by Kevin's mom "What kind of idiots do you have working here?!"... the lady just smiles and says "The finest in New York!", it was just too funny! I love this movie and I'm always going to recommend it for a good watch, I think you'll enjoy it if you give it a chance.

I knew it was you, I could SMELL ya getting' off the elevata

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
7 May 2004

Too many sequels suffer from Deja Vu. And hardly any of those carbon copies improve upon the original. Home Alone 2 is a carbon copy, but it's also much better and more complex a movie than the first. In another mad rush to the airport the McCallisters make a point of remembering Kevin this time. But he gets lost in a crowd at the airport and follows a man who looks like his dad onto the wrong plane. Thirteen of the McCallisters are going to Miami for Xmas (do they never stay at home?) but Kevin is headed for the Big Apple. And he's going to have that once-in-a-lifetime vacation he's been wishing for.

There's much more for Kevin to see and do in New York. He scams his way into the Plaza hotel where a suspicious Concierge (Tim Curry) gives him mighty evil looks at every encounter. He goes to Duncan's Toy Chest, the biggest toy store in town and takes many scenic photographs. Though it is a little worrying now seeing Kevin on the roof of the World Trade Centre.

But the Wet Bandits have escaped, and they have just arrived in New York with loftier ambitions and bigger heists to pull off. They even brush by Kevin a few times not knowing he's there. Typically though, once they get a hold of him the give away far too much info. Once Kevin escapes he takes matters into his own hands once more. His Aunt Georgette from the first movie is still in Paris so he uses her half-renovated home as a huge mousetrap for the bungling burglars.

The booby traps this time are much more painful and nasty, so it's all the more amusing for us. Who can possibly fail to laugh at Marv getting the shock of his life when he tries to turn on the taps? If the movie were to be released now I doubt if it would be let away with a PG rating. Still, it's nothing for any parents to worry about. Unless you fear your child is going to set your head on fire with a blowtorch.

Home Alone 2 has a more satisfying climax than the first. The film doesn't simply end once Harry and Marv are back in the slammer as there is more plot to it than that. Brenda Fricker has a (rather questionable) role as 'The Pigeon Lady' a woman who lives in Central Park and talks to no one-until Kevin reaches out. Plus Eddie Bracken shows up as Mr. Duncan and gives Kevin the best Xmas morning ever as a token of his appreciation.

With a bigger story (okay some of it re-used) and more characters and a better playground for Kevin, Home Alone 2 manages to be a superior sequel. While not excessively so. There's loads of fun to be had in Kevin's antics, and Tim Curry is downright brilliant as the mischievous Concierge.

It's a great movie on it's own but sadly it will always be called a copycat. Watch it now from a fresh perspective and you might like it more.

Same plot. Same actors. New traps. No problem.

Author: Op_Prime from Ardmore, PA
16 April 2000

Home Alone 2 has pretty much the same plot as the first movie, but Home Alone 2 is a very good sequel. The new traps for the Wet, er... Sticky Bandits are great. Once again Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern give wonderful performances. Having Tim Curry in this was also a treat. There is a lot of enjoyment in this movie.

Home Alone 2

Author: ilovetheredhotchilipeppers from Canada
19 December 2004

I have no idea quite why, but Home Alone 2 is my favorite movie of all time. I have the board game (made a while back), tons of books, the piano book as well which I play all year round and I've watched the movie about 80 times so far. I can recite every line and know pretty much everything bout the whole movie. There's just smoothing about this one that is so much better than the first. Perhaps it's just the whole New York scene and I think the bandits do better acting as well. I CANNOT stand Home Alone 3 though. They totally spoiled it and ruined the whole "Home Alone" title. The actors are terrible and the movies just plain sucks. If anyone wants to talk bout the movie with me, don't be shy.

I love it!

Author: dee.reid from United States
7 December 2005

"Home Alone 2: Lost in New York" is young Macaulay Culkin's second greatest hour in the series as Kevin McCallister, who has to learn to be a man again on the mean streets of the Big Apple after being separated from his family once more. He checks into a swank Manhattan hotel (where Donald Trump is apparently staying at too). He's pursued again by comic bad guys Harry and Marv (Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern), and director Chris Columbus and screenwriter John Hughes keep the action and laughs coming. Tim Curry also appears as a concierge who has to prove that Kevin is on his own, and Brenda Fricker is the pigeon lady who watches over Kevin's little shoulder. There is another tricks & traps showdown at the end, which keeps the slapstick and comic violence at an all-time high.

'Home', sweet home.....in New York

Author: Jerry Jones from United States
31 December 2002

***

Starring: Machauley Culkin, Joe Pesci, Daniel Stern, and Catherine O' Hara.

The same boy who was accidentally left Home Alone a year ago, accidentally takes the wrong flight. Instead of arriving in Miami with the rest of his family, he arrives in New York! The same two robbers that failed to rob his house last time, coincidentally arrive in New York to rob another place! What a small, freakin' world.

The movie has the same number of slapstick humor and the same amount of fun, so this should be a holiday treat.

The cuteness ends here

Author: Jasper Lawrence from Canada
23 September 2008

This should have been the end of the Home Alone series, seeing that the same premise and cast were used for two films but, naturally, Hollywood just can't resist trying to squeeze more money from a proved formula. I'm not one for sequels but this was one of the handful that I can enjoy time and again, not only because the original cast is in it, but because of Macaulay Culkin's comedic ability (even as a kid) and Joe Pesci's and Daniel Stern's reactions to getting their butts kicked, booby trap style. Kevin is not forgotten (like he was last time) but hops the wrong plane after he puts fresh batteries in the family camera right before he gets to the gate at the airport (his family had all the bad luck with high winds knocking out the electric - and the alarm clock - twice). He mistakes a man with the same coat as his father and after Kevin reassures a flight attendant he's on the right plane, takes his seat ... in a plane heading in the exact opposite direction the rest of his family is going (naturally, no one realizes Kevin's missing until they're in Miami and he's in NY). Who could have thought a vacant New York brownstone could be so much fun? Sure, Pesci's and Stern's characters are more banged up this time but, hey, they started it. (The adventures in the Plaza Hotel are hilarious, as well.) Anyway, this is one sequel worth the time to watch. Just don't bother with the irrelevant, contrived, and unncessary third installment of the series.

I loved that movie!

Author: Alice Hochhausler (alicehoc1982) from Wilmington, OH
9 November 2004

I remember I was 10 years old in '92, I used to watch that movie at my old house where I grew up but I was sitting on the floor near the TV in the living room. Oh, yeah, my favorite part is Macaulay (Kevin McAllister) was walking around in New York when he was lost then later, he went to the toy store to buy something then these 2 bad guys found him then Macaulay (Kevin) was screaming same thing then run away from these 2 bad guys in the city of NY but it was so funny because I loved Macaulay's screaming that make me laugh so hard! I remember Macaulay as Kevin put everything for his ideas of his plan to do for these 2 bad guys but it is so funny. His brother Kieran Culkin (Fuller McAllister - Kevin's cousin) was a cute kid and wears glasses in that same movie as his brother Macaulay. I loved that movie very much since I was a little kid. That movie is the greatest and funniest one that I ever seen!

Better than the first and a really nice family movie

Author: themovieman3000 from UK
21 January 2006

Home Alone was OK, but this was miles better, funnier, with a better plot. So they kept the same characters and there's a good performance from Tim Curry to help make it all the more enjoyable. I've grown up watching home alone. Whenever I think of my favourite films, i think Home Alone (the fourth the exception). Culkin gets on the wrong plane this time, an improvement from being left at home. He ends up in New York, comes across the same crooks and tries to get rid of them. Its just so watchable - a film i've watched more times than any other. How can anyone dislike it? OK, the fun factor kind of goes away the more times you watch it and the older you get but I still cannot praise it enough. Shame though, that Culkin threw away his career once he had the cash.

New York City-The Perfect Place For A Kid To Have Fun

Author: Big Movie Fan from Erdington
18 November 2002

If I was a young child and wanted to get lost somewhere, then the Big Apple would be my first choice. Yes, Macauley Culkin is back as Kevin McCallister who ends up getting split up from his parents and finds himself lost in New York.

Just like in the first film, Kevin has fun at first booking himself into a hotel (you'll find out how a young kid cons a room in the hotel) and has some fun. There's just one snag-Joe Pesci and Daniel Sterns are back as Harry and Marv and once again, young Kevin must outwit them.

The plot is pretty similar to Home Alone but don't let that put you off-it just means you've got more of the same thrills and fun to enjoy. Despite being lost in the city that never sleeps, Kevin again manages to find ways to outwit the relentless burglars who take countless bumps and bruises, many of which would have killed them but that's the fun of movies.

Yes, Home Alone 2 was a fantastic follow up to Home Alone and it was followed by the equally excellent Home Alone 3.

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]