IMDb > Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
Page 10 of 16: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

This movie is retarded to say at best.

Author: Nick Damian from Toronto, Ontario
4 November 2002

The best compliment that I can give this movie is that the special effects were halfway decent and that the girls looked hot.

This movie is retarded and stupid at best and downright idiotic and horrible.

The only horror and fear that I got from this film is that I turned on the screen and spent some time watching this. I turned it off 3 times and still was unable to finish watching it.

SCARY? NOOOOO!! STUPID-YESSSS!!!

If stupidity and lack of story was at the top of the list, I would give it a 10, however they are not, so I will give this movie a **1**...simply to credit the efforts of people who did not any main creative power for this film.

I believe that cast and crew aside of the DIRECTOR and PRODUCER have worked hard and deserved a paycheck...and this is where my compliment goes to...the cast and crew for putting their time and effort to make this work. (Camera crew, lighting, makeup, gaffers, electricians, casting, transportation, craft service,painters, set decorators, location scouts, maintenance, hair and makeup....but NOT the DIRECTOR or PRODUCER...no FRIGGEN way.)

The director should not be paid, nor should the producers. Infact, I strongly believe that they should be paying ME. YES, I should be paid for watching this!!! Why not? This was outragiously boring and stupid; and I felt cheated within the first 10 minutes or so.

>>>>My over all comment....BAD...VERY BAD...VERY VERY BAD...oh yeah...and STUPID!!!

Better than the sequel.

Author: canot67 (canot67@hotmail.com) from Devon, England
16 August 2002

Hellraiser 3 is better than number 2 but not as good as the original,still is a good attempt though.This time (ignoring the first two in the series altogether) it involves a reporter,a hooker and a nightclub owner.The nightclub owner gets hold of the box and unleash's Pinhead who then erupts havoc on earth.The reporter is trying to solve the mystery who teams with the hooker.It isn't as predictable as it sounds and the movie has a few flaws,but apart from this it is great.

The effects are great and it doesn't fail on scaring the audience.I suppose by now Pinhead has lost his appeal but that doesn't make him out to look like a threatening pin cushion.There are new demons and they are all creative.There is more originality this time and I liked it.I thought it was more enjoyable than Hellbound.One thing it doesn't beat is the first in the series. I don't reccomend these movies to people (only people with an aquired taste).I would say if you're a fan of the series then go for it.If you liked the original but not interested what happens afterwards,then all the sequels are not worth bothering with.I rate 3/5.

A little cornier than I remembered

Author: Jesse-45 from Camp Crystal Lake
26 May 2000

I remembered this film to be very entertaining, but I just saw it a few days ago and it's not that great as I remembered. There's some pretty bad acting, and the direction is pretty bad too. It's very unintentionally funny, if you want some laughs and the gore and nudity are great! But the least of the series. NOTE : This film mainly focuses on Pinhead, one of the cinema's most freaky villains.

How could Barker let Hollywood Swine do this to his masterpiece?

Author: Drew Roggy (tgp2000@hotmail.com) from Illinois
27 March 1999

I just saw Hellraiser 3 the other day, and I've never seen a more typical example of a pathetic sequel thrown together by talentless Hollywood big shots to make themselves a little richer. The stereotypical characters make me sick. There's the whiny girl with a bad case of PMS who thinks her life is miserable because her boyfriends have been mean to her. There's the rich spoiled brat of a nightclub owner who entices countless women with mommy and daddy's money only to spit them out when he's done with them. However, what makes it all even worse is that Pinhead is the most stereotypical of all. What was once a brilliant character is reduced to "find all of the supermodel victims I can and kill them with my chains ala Freddy Kruger." The story has gone from a complex masterpiece from the genius mind of Clive Barker to a film more generic than Wes Craven's 'Scream' with the typical 'the bad guy is loose and we have to stop him' plot that has accompanied almost all other horror movies to date. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd have to give this movie a 1 compared to the 10 Id give it's predecessors. I just hope Bloodline (Hlrsr 4) isn't this bad despite the fact that it is 4 in a series that should have stopped after number 2.

Coffee with Pinhead.

Author: Elswet from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
13 September 2004

This was the definitive movie in the Hellraiser series in that it defined Pinhead as the ultimate nemesis whereas before, Frank held that role.

Many critics have stated that this movie was totally unnecessary within the series, but I beg to differ. It explained who and what Pinhead was, introduced you to his character in a much more satisfying way, and allowed the viewer to develop a bond with his charismatic persona; both as human and as demon.

These factors are quite necessary if this series is to continue. Terry Farrel and Paula Marshall (of Warlock: The Armageddon and Steve Martin's surprise 2004 summer hit "Cheaper By The Dozen") both contributed their best work (Paula Marshall was just hitting the big screen), rendering solid performances.

This movie will be somewhat of a disappointment for splatter fans as it is not the bloodiest of the line. While this may not be the bloodiest (but it is quite bloody) or most action-filled installment, it is most necessary in following the story line and flow of the gruesome nightmare journey into Hell that is Hellraiser.

It rates an 8.2/10 from...

the Fiend :.

Entertaining and well-made

Author: StormSworder from United Kingdom
23 May 2005

One of the thing which keeps this series above most of the Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday 13th sequels is that each new Hellraiser film has a completely new storyline.

This time Pinhead is trapped within a pillar of souls, but is released thanks to the actions of a sex-crazed nightclub owner. He becomes the central villain as he is let loose upon the city (along with the people he turns into inventively-designed Cenobites). However, a reporter (who witnessed someone being torn apart by chains and is determined to find out what happened) is guided by the ghost of Elliot Spencer, Pinhead's former self who has been released from his demonic side.

All in all, this is an inventive and well-made sequel, probably one of the best of the Hellraiser series.

Hellraiser III is by far the best of the series so far. It is the first one that has any decent acting (although still not great), good direction, and even a fairly respectable story.

Author: Michael DeZubiria (wppispam2013@gmail.com) from Luoyang, China
8 November 2000

Pinhead has returned, and again he wants to destroy that pesky puzzle box, the door to Hell, so that he will never have to go back. His return to the world of the living is fascinatingly done with an updated version of that horrific rotating pillar that we're all so familiar with by this point. Kevin Bernhardt plays J.P. Monroe, an arrogant night club owner (the `Boiler Room') who is at first persuaded by Pinhead (still trapped in the stone pillar) to help him come fully back to life in the traditional Hellraiser manner. As is to be expected, not everything goes perfectly as planned, and the ensuing madness is both sickening and morbidly entertaining.

Ashley Laurence has been mercifully removed from the cast (probably saving the film from failing like the first two did), except for a thankfully brief cameo in which her character is referred to in order to learn about the history of the box and to prove its capabilities. Hellraiser III gives the series a much needed jump-start, following a weak but cult classic original, as well as an even weaker first sequel. Unfortunately, the `Female Cenobite' (mysteriously left unnamed), `Chatterer,' and `Butterball' (both of whom probably SHOULD have been left unnamed) are gone, but a series of about half a dozen new Cenobites keeps the hellish imagery alive. I think that one of the better elements of this installment in the series is that they show all of the new Cenobites being created. However, when Doc becomes a Cenobite (`Camerahead'), some of his dialogue refers to his life as a human, contradicting the previously established characteristic of the Cenobites that they don't remember their human selves.

In the anti-religious tradition of the Hellraiser series (remember `Jesus Wept,' from part I? That was by far my favorite), some of Pinhead's antics in the church near the end of the film are great. When the priest holds up the cross to him, Pinhead melts it in the poor guy's hand, which is a terribly cruel thing to do, but at the same time he utters an absolutely brilliant bit of dialogue, `Thou shalt not bow down to any graven image.' Words to live by, people. After that, Pinhead's self-crucifixion scene was wonderfully sickening, yet his intentions in doing that were both clearly presented and morbidly farcical. Jesus was crucified, paying for man's sins, thereby saving mankind from damnation and becoming the subject of countless masses of people's unquestioning adoration, inspiring Pinhead to crucify himself and state that `I am the way.' This is great stuff.

Besides all that, I think that this installment had some of the best death scenes of the series so far, particularly in the nightclub. Some of that was almost physically painful to watch, a sure sign of success for a horror film. Not only was that Boiler Room massacre convincingly portrayed, but writer Peter Atkins also had the excellent idea to have poor Terri walk through the masses of mutilated bodies after the massacre had ended. Pretty uplifting stuff, huh? A little too gory and bloody? Don't moan about that, it's not supposed to be good, clean, fun. This is a horror film, and by definition, horror films are supposed to be horrible. And Hellraiser III achieves this horror better than either of the two that preceded it, finally leaving the viewer satisfied. Even when you think you are watching what will be a cheesy ending, a plot twist makes it good again, saving us (and the film, technically) from a goofy and patronizing ‘happily-ever-after.' This was a very good horror film. It's almost worth watching the first two just to get to this one, and hopefully this unexpected but very welcome upward trend will continue with the rest of the series.

It's rare when I can say it, but this was abysmal.

Author: PlayerSS from North Carolina
2 June 2006

I just went back and watched first two before this one. What was Doug Bradley thinking when he signed on to put Pinhead through this? There are quite a lot of things wrong with this movie.

First off Pinhead is way to "humanized" in this one. He talks a lot which makes him more human and less demon from Hell. I also didn't like how it wasn't really Pinhead doing all the killings. It was just a shell of Spencer's former evil manifested on earth. I hated that. I couldn't believe it when it pointlessly started laughing during the club scene as well. Which brings me to my next points.

The movie was way to urban to be a Hellraiser movie. I didn't like it that it took place in a club a lot and in the city. Plus Pinhead and the cenobites were exposed to way to many people. What ever happened to the only people seeing them was the people that figured out the box? That took away a lot of mystery of them.

Next is all the pointless scenes of gore. I'm a big fan of gore, but the gore meant completely nothing in the movie as compared to the last ones. The club scene where Pinhead out of no where just kills a bunch of people is a shame.

They tried so hard to make Pinhead the anti-hero villain like Jason or Freddy eventually became, but by this time nobody was asking him to be the anti-hero. This was only the third movie. I didn't feel for anybody in the movie and they tried desperately to make people care about Pinhead for some reason.

Next up is the freakin cheesy new Cenobites. I'm sorry, but a fat bartender Cenobite isn't going to replace butterball Cenobite. WTF was up with the camera Cenobite and his one liners? I also had to chuckle at the CD Cenobite.

The pay off to the Spencer/Pinhead separation was done decent, but Spencer and Pinhead being separated really wasn't needed in the first place. Oh well it's rule that classic horror series must be turned into jokes.

In the end this movie was completely abysmal. Which there's not many movies that earn that title from me. Pinhead was elevated to the central character and humanized a lot, because of all the lines he had and his actions. The desperate attempt at making Pinhead the anti-hero villain didn't work for me.

The pay off to the Spencer/Pinhead separation was done decent, but Spencer and Pinhead being separated really wasn't needed in the first place. Part 4 actually seems good in comparison.

One of the worst horror sequels in history

Author: Rudy Edwards from Atlanta, GA
24 November 2001

In a genre founded on bad sequels, Hell on Earth is one of the worst. After the first two Hellraiser movies developed a powerful mythology, It's all flushed down the toilet in the third movie, apparently to create a franchise in a marketplace dominated by fantastic lead characters. Pinhead does not make a Freddy Krueger, however, and all that happens in this movie is the tearing down of Clive Barker's fantastic world, throwing all of the previous personality and character of it's denizens out the window.

Hell sure wasn't impressive...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
21 December 2015

With the title "Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth" this third installment of the "Hellraiser" franchise does seem to want to accomplish something extraordinarily grand. But truth be told then there wasn't even remotely anything even close to Hell being unleashed unto our world.

That being said then don't get me wrong, because "Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth" is still an adequate movie in the "Hellraiser" franchise. But it just wasn't as thrilling or vile as the original "Hellraiser" movie.

One of the good things about this third movie is that more depth is added to the Pinhead character and it was a nice touch to offer that to the fans of the franchise.

The fans watch "Hellraiser" for the deviant ideas and creations of Clive Barker's warped mind, but sadly this third movie didn't have a lot of a screen time with the Cenobites, which was a real shame. And the new Cenobites that were introduced in the movie just weren't all that impressive or memorable. I was, however, quite impressed with the stone pillar in which Pinhead was imprisoned. It had amazing details and a certain H.R. Geiger quality to it.

"Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth" is an entertaining enough movie in its own right, but it just wasn't the best in the "Hellraiser" franchise.