IMDb > Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 10 of 15: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

A Pathetic Cash Grab

Author: yaktheripper from United States
7 December 2014

I'm shocked to see it's still holding a 5 rating on IMDb, what a travesty in ratings. Hellraiser 3 is a poorly acted, poorly scripted, plodding craptastic insult to special effects and slap in the face to the first 2 classics in the franchise. This is a steaming pile of cinematic garbage served with freaking puns...PUNS NOW...on the side. Some reviewers on here are giving it 5 or 6 stars...why? Why in the name of all that's Clive Barker would you give this movie an average or better than average grade? What have you been watching to think this is an average movie people? And...8's? 9's? 10's? TENS EVEN!?!'re being bamboozled I tell you. A 10 in the horror genre is perhaps...The Shining, The Exorcist, Alien, you know...something with a strong screenplay, suspenseful cinematography, interesting and strong visuals...something that gets under our skin. How could you idiots rate this a 6 much less a 10, unless you have some sort of bad movie fetish, I just don't get it. I give this a 3. The acting was atrocious, the F/X were pitiful, the cinematography was hackish, and the plot was boring. The cenobites were oafish and pathetic....just a mess all around and if you like this movie then...well whatever. It gets a 3 from me because sadly there's even worse movies like this out there and I give Doug Bradly props for repping Pinhead...the other stars are for doing the credits the right way I guess...whatever, don't even watch this crud.

It's a watchable third installment in the "Hellraiser" franchise

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
30 May 2014

The previous "Hellraiser" movies portrayed Pinhead as this mysterious enigma that is a force to be reckoned with. This time around Pinhead is portrayed as some boogeyman that needs other to power him back up. The plot is somewhat similar of the goons trying to get a powerful evil villain to come back to the real world with a physical form and powers. While a female reporter is trying to find out what is going on with crazy murders that is taking place and having crazy dreams and visions while doing so. The plot this time is super far-fetched and doesn't make much sense at all, especially when it comes to the human mind. The scare factor is almost all gone with this installment with more human indulgence going on. It actually seemed like a rehash of the first movie with more stuff going on, but more doesn't necessarily mean better when it comes to movies. This time it shows the a lot more human side of Pinhead and his personality traits when he was human. Of his thoughts, motives and desires. Which in a way would have been cool, but takes away from the effective momentum of Pinhead as a horror icon. Not only that this installment breaks away from the rules when it comes to the cenobites (it does explain why, but it gets distracting and feels like a cop-out for mayhem). This one expands upon the human indulgence on the human flesh and pleasure, not in depth though but exterior wise (most of the movie takes place at a night club). Including a bit more masochism as well when it comes to the humans and Pinhead. But it fails to expand up on the mythos in a effective manner. I personally don't think this installment is a effective installment, but it's just alright. It's not awful and for the most part at least watchable.

Pinhead gets technical

Author: Kristine ( from Chicago, Illinois
17 March 2012

Strange thing in the world of the horror genre, we have the big names of Jason, Freddy and Michael. But there are a few names while still well known for some reason didn't provide such a big splash when it came to the box office like Hellraiser with Pinhead who is one of the best monsters in cinema. The monster is nothing more than about torture and pain, he feels no mercy towards anyone and loves the pleasure of hurting your flesh. The first Hellraiser is without a doubt a twisted crazy classic, to get into Clive Barker's head must be a trip. He created some very disturbing images that will never get out of your head once you see Hellraiser. It was the first time where a horror film had started dark and stayed dark throughout the entire movie and there was no letting go to let you breathe. Then the sequel came along, still staying dark and having a new world to take us into with the same characters and our questions from the first film were answered. It was a good sequel that could hold up a candle to the original. Then, in the spirit of most horror films, we were given the third Hellraiser called Hell on Earth.

The revelation of his own former humanity has resulted in Pinhead being split into two distinct entities: His former self, British Army Captain Eliot Spencer, and a manifestation of Spencer's id, which takes on the form of Pinhead. While Spencer ends up in limbo, Pinhead is trapped, along with the puzzle box, amongst the writhing figures and distorted faces etched into the surface of an intricately carved pillar - the Pillar of Souls. The pillar is bought by the rich and spoiled J.P. Monroe, owner of a popular nightclub called The Boiler Room. An ambitious young television reporter, Joey, slowly begins to learn about Pinhead and the mysterious puzzle box. She is introduced to the pain the box can bring when she views a teenage club-goer being ripped apart by the box's chains in a hospital emergency room. Joey is contacted by the spirit of Elliot Spencer, who tells her that this "Pinhead" is a separate entity. Without Spencer's humanity to act as a balancing influence, this Pinhead is completely evil and has no sense of order. Rather than abide by the laws of the Cenobite realm, he will indiscriminately wreak havoc on Earth for his own pleasure unless he can be stopped.

So given new eye candy with Terry Farrell as the leading lady, competing with Ashley Laurence as Kirsty is no easy task. Terry does do pretty well in keeping up with Elliot Spencer, but her scenes with Pinhead are not up to par. A lot of fans did complain about the new cenobites, that they were too goofy looking, I agree in some sense but still liked the over all look of them. I thought they still were pretty intimidating, well except for the CD throwing cenobite, what was that about? I loved how in the end there were about 10 explosions every 2 minutes and they kept going and going and going. I also got a great kick out of how every person Joey bumped into died a second later in the end, if she ran into me on the other street, I'd be more afraid of her than Pinhead. The way people reacted in this film was unreal at times and the story was a bit silly and a let down from the two previous films. But I did find a certain entertainment from the film and I think some people are a little too harsh on it. Pinhead came to bring Hell on Earth and he certainly did for an hour and a half.

A new direction for the series...the wrong way.

Author: thrashmetal420 from United States
15 January 2012

Basically I thought this movie sucked. Especially when you compare it to the last two films that spawned it. The director and or producers decided to make Pinhead and the Cenobites 'cool' and 'fun' like the Nightmare on Elm Street series did with Freddy. This is basically a failure. Don't get me wrong, Pinhead has some good moments of dialog as he manipulates these idiotic characters from the pillar. But the one-liners were much too cheesy for my tastes. Anyhow here's the lowdown.

The good: J.P. is a schmuck that you want to see killed by Pinhead. You get your wish. The club seems like a place I'd go if I were of age in '92. Terri was cool and hot. I wish she was the main character.

The bad: Weak story. Joey. I found the character annoying. What a terrible name for a woman. The new cenobites were ridiculous. They gave them one liners. It was embarrassing. The flashback war scenes with Joey. Joey's presence distracted from any effectiveness here.

The beginning of the end.

Author: Matt Kracht ( from New York
24 April 2011

There isn't really much to say about Hellraiser 3, because all Clive Barker fans are already familiar with this movie, and they all have strong opinions about it. I'm on the side of those who think that this movie single-handedly ruined the Hellraiser franchise, damning it to crappy, direct-to-video sequels. I'm not sure how one could mess up a Hellraiser movie so badly. Pinhead becomes a Freddy Krueger-inspired serial killer, spouting off one-liners and killing off young adults by the dozen. The Lament Configuration becomes Pinhead's sole weakness, rather than the vessel by which he is summoned. The cast is younger, prettier, and wears less clothes. The new Cenobites are a huge disappointment. What was once the stuff of nightmares becomes over-the-top and silly. In fact, the whole movie is campy, silly, and panders way too much to teenage audiences.

The absolute worst part? I liked Anthony Hickox's Waxwork and Waxwork 2. How could he have made such a horrible mess of this movie? Hopefully, it was studio interference that ruined Hellraiser 3, but I guess everyone messes up sometimes.

More Story Driven Less Talent

Author: turock from United States
6 April 2011

The first and second film in this series are probably the best, they offer up a decent story that is well acted. I've seen them both recently and can say that as horror movies go they still hold up even after all this time.

With the push for digital effects in movies going higher and higher, well they had to cut the budget somewhere.

While this the 3rd movie in the series has more back story for the main villain Pinhead, the acting talent working opposite Doug Bradley is lacking. Thats not to say Terry Ferrel's is a bad actress just that her talents either aren't quite developed in this film or it was made in a hurry to meet a deadline.

Gone are the cenobite assistants to Pinhead, replaced by a new cast of cenobites, most of which just feel cheep and cookie cutter made.

Many of the characters come across as very fake, as if either the actors aren't all that good or the production was in a hurry to finish and didn't get the best performance from each cast member.

Special Effects for the time were decent costumes were not bad. What struck me as odd was the heavy 80's look through out this film, despite the fact that it was filmed in 92 a time when grunge was on the rise.

All in all this film is good if you enjoy the series, but if your new to horror or aren't really big on the genre then id avoid this film.

Harshly judged tantalising third

Author: amesmonde from Novelist of The Final Version
26 March 2011

A work of art contains 'Pinhead' who is hellbent on escaping and unleashing hell on earth, armed with a puzzle box can reporter Joey Summerskill stop his evil?

Clive Barker is absent from a writing role which leaves Peter Akins to take up the reigns and to his credit this screen-play connects the previous films via various flash backs and recordings. However, the story follows a more linear narrative than it's predecessor. Follow up Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth swaps the grittiness of the modestly budgeted first for a glossier grander slicker 3rd.  Pinhead is given more story, dialogue and exposition - possibly to appease a wider audience.

Hell on earth is really a one-man-show, British actor Doug Bradley is allowed to give a pleasing head-to-head performance as both Pinhead and his former-self Captain Elliot Spencer. Terry Ferrell as the snooping reporter who walks the film playing the genre piece like an 80s thriller. There are some new less-menacing cenobites, that said,Terri/Female Cenobite played by Paula Marshall is noteworthy but her appearance is all too brief. The rest of the cast are forgettable, mainly their purpose is to allow Pinhead some elaborate torture kills.

The special effects (although now dated) are digestible and oddly even though this film was made in 1992 it feels late eighties. Director Anthony Hickox competently delivers an entertaining instalment despite the choppy editing, lack of tension and gore.   Nevertheless, there are enough dream sequences, dead bodies and bloody scenes to keep most chill seekers happy until the explosive final act.

Overall, in a traditional movie sense Hellraiser III is arguably a very strong sequel and viewer is left with tantalising closing scene, but in retrospect the concept is an empty promise.

There is nothing majorly good here. There is nothing majorly evil. There is only flesh.

Author: tyler-and-jack from Edinburgh.
20 March 2011

I like director Anthony Hickox and I like the Hellraiser movies so Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth has a lot in it's favour, as far as I'm concerned. Sadly, there's no denying that this was the movie that seemed to concentrate on turning Pinhead into a Freddy Krueger type, a horror icon who has as many one-liners as he has ways to kill someone.

The story is a rather simple one. The cenobites are trapped in a statue that club owner J.P. Monroe (Kevin Bernhardt) buys for himself. A bit of blood later and we're in familiar territory with chains and hooks and pleasurable pain for those who find themselves at the mercy of the agents of the puzzle box. Reporter Joanne Summerskill (Terry Farrell) is, meanwhile, trying to make a name for herself with a newsworthy story. She's also been having some strange dreams lately, dreams that may allow someone very important to male contact with her.

This movie is not a very good one. The acting is almost consistently abysmal from everyone involved (though Farrell does okay and Doug Bradley is very good), the script by Peter Atkins limps from one set-piece to the next with many boring moments in between and the extra time devoted to the backstory of Pinhead is something that many fans felt was unwarranted. Pinhead was just Pinhead - we found out that he'd once been a man in the second movie but there was no need to delve further into detail.

Hickox directs all this competently enough but he's hampered by the weak material (though this would be far from the worst of the series). Thankfully, he pulls out all of the stops for the moments of major carnage. The sequence of destruction that takes place in "The Boiler Room" is still impressive for it's FX and nastiness.

With some great gore, a touch of nudity and some creative new cenobites, this isn't a waste of time for fans of the first two movies but it's worth bearing in mind that it takes the series almost into standard slasher fare as opposed to the crazy darkness of the first two films.

Pinhead entering Freddy Krueger territory=failure.

Author: callanvass
8 January 2011

(Credit) IMDb) Pinhead is stuck in a block after the Big Confrontation in "Hellbound," The block containing Pinhead and the puzzle cube is bought by a young playboy as sculpture. Pinhead busies himself escaping by getting the playboy to lure victims to his presence so he can use their blood. Once free, he seeks to destroy the puzzle cube so he need never return to Hell, but a female reporter is investigating the grisly murders and stands in his way.

I do actually manage to get some cheesy entertainment value out of this, but for the wrong reasons. This is not a Hellraiser movie, nor does it feel like one. In all honesty, it feels like a rejected plot straight out of a Nightmare on Elm Street sequel. Pinhead cracking jokes? Come on, I get they were desperate to make this franchise into a hit, but they were doing fine by themselves. Pinhead had already created a legacy with the first two movies, so why the comical route, more money? Well their attempt tanked with a measly 12 million at the box office for there efforts. The gore is certainly fun, but where it comes from it isn't. Some of the cenobites are laughable. One with a hole for a cigarette? One who ejects flying CD's? Bit much in my opinion. The dream sequences are probably the best part of the movie, and there are some solid performances. War scenes I should also give credit too, for looking realistic. Too bad the whole movie is basically a silly excuse for a sequel.

Performances. Doug Bradley plays it OTT, and I didn't buy it. He wasn't funny, and just came across as an angry, comical, sadistic buffoon then scary. Give me the real Pinhead over this comedian any day! As Elliot he's very solid. His dream sequences with Farrell were well done, even if his dialog stunk. Kevin Bernhardt plays the sleazy J.P Monroe decently I suppose, but he felt a bit off sometimes. Don't know what it was, but it just felt that way. Also, he smokes in almost every single scene! Terry Farrell provides us with a solid lead. Couple of off moments, but she performed very well for the most part. Her strong-willed performance got her through this in one piece. Ken Carpenter is horrible as the Doc, plain and simple. Paula Marshall is very good as Terri. Her sniveling ways got a bit tiring after a while, but other then that, I enjoyed her performance. Her chemistry with Farrell is also good. Ashley Laurence has a cameo, nothing memorable.

Bottom line. For some odd reason, I watch it once every couple of years. Probably because I'm a big fan of Pinhead. I get some amusement out of it, but I cannot in any sense of good conscience state it's a good sequel, because it's very mediocre. The real Pinhead died in number 2. Is it worth a viewing? Yes, I suppose it is. Not in a good way though.

4 ½ /10

Hellraiser III

Author: railbuffrob from Westford, MA
25 May 2005

If I were writing an encyclopedia and it came to the point where I had to explain extreme special effects overkill, all I'd have to do is recommend this movie, particularly the last half hour of it.

Up until the last half hour, it seems like a pretty good movie (I haven't seen the other ones), it had the gore and suspense of any great horror movie, but after Pinhead says "I'm going to enjoy making you bleed", that's where you can really tell that they were still under-budget and went on a spending spree. The effects were so overdone that I ended up laughing through most of the end.

I didn't notice too many continuity errors tho, the only one I can think of off bat is when Terri is running from Pinhead, the fire hydrant blows off and floods the street and the power lines fall into the water and you can see the sparks in the water. She steps up onto the sidewalk to escape the water. After being attacked by wires from the storm drain, she goes running down the street somehow not getting electrocuted.

Page 10 of 15: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]