IMDb > Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 10 of 15: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

More Story Driven Less Talent

Author: turock from United States
6 April 2011

The first and second film in this series are probably the best, they offer up a decent story that is well acted. I've seen them both recently and can say that as horror movies go they still hold up even after all this time.

With the push for digital effects in movies going higher and higher, well they had to cut the budget somewhere.

While this the 3rd movie in the series has more back story for the main villain Pinhead, the acting talent working opposite Doug Bradley is lacking. Thats not to say Terry Ferrel's is a bad actress just that her talents either aren't quite developed in this film or it was made in a hurry to meet a deadline.

Gone are the cenobite assistants to Pinhead, replaced by a new cast of cenobites, most of which just feel cheep and cookie cutter made.

Many of the characters come across as very fake, as if either the actors aren't all that good or the production was in a hurry to finish and didn't get the best performance from each cast member.

Special Effects for the time were decent costumes were not bad. What struck me as odd was the heavy 80's look through out this film, despite the fact that it was filmed in 92 a time when grunge was on the rise.

All in all this film is good if you enjoy the series, but if your new to horror or aren't really big on the genre then id avoid this film.

Harshly judged tantalising third

Author: amesmonde from Novelist of The Final Version
26 March 2011

A work of art contains 'Pinhead' who is hellbent on escaping and unleashing hell on earth, armed with a puzzle box can reporter Joey Summerskill stop his evil?

Clive Barker is absent from a writing role which leaves Peter Akins to take up the reigns and to his credit this screen-play connects the previous films via various flash backs and recordings. However, the story follows a more linear narrative than it's predecessor. Follow up Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth swaps the grittiness of the modestly budgeted first for a glossier grander slicker 3rd.  Pinhead is given more story, dialogue and exposition - possibly to appease a wider audience.

Hell on earth is really a one-man-show, British actor Doug Bradley is allowed to give a pleasing head-to-head performance as both Pinhead and his former-self Captain Elliot Spencer. Terry Ferrell as the snooping reporter who walks the film playing the genre piece like an 80s thriller. There are some new less-menacing cenobites, that said,Terri/Female Cenobite played by Paula Marshall is noteworthy but her appearance is all too brief. The rest of the cast are forgettable, mainly their purpose is to allow Pinhead some elaborate torture kills.

The special effects (although now dated) are digestible and oddly even though this film was made in 1992 it feels late eighties. Director Anthony Hickox competently delivers an entertaining instalment despite the choppy editing, lack of tension and gore.   Nevertheless, there are enough dream sequences, dead bodies and bloody scenes to keep most chill seekers happy until the explosive final act.

Overall, in a traditional movie sense Hellraiser III is arguably a very strong sequel and viewer is left with tantalising closing scene, but in retrospect the concept is an empty promise.

There is nothing majorly good here. There is nothing majorly evil. There is only flesh.

Author: tyler-and-jack from Edinburgh.
20 March 2011

I like director Anthony Hickox and I like the Hellraiser movies so Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth has a lot in it's favour, as far as I'm concerned. Sadly, there's no denying that this was the movie that seemed to concentrate on turning Pinhead into a Freddy Krueger type, a horror icon who has as many one-liners as he has ways to kill someone.

The story is a rather simple one. The cenobites are trapped in a statue that club owner J.P. Monroe (Kevin Bernhardt) buys for himself. A bit of blood later and we're in familiar territory with chains and hooks and pleasurable pain for those who find themselves at the mercy of the agents of the puzzle box. Reporter Joanne Summerskill (Terry Farrell) is, meanwhile, trying to make a name for herself with a newsworthy story. She's also been having some strange dreams lately, dreams that may allow someone very important to male contact with her.

This movie is not a very good one. The acting is almost consistently abysmal from everyone involved (though Farrell does okay and Doug Bradley is very good), the script by Peter Atkins limps from one set-piece to the next with many boring moments in between and the extra time devoted to the backstory of Pinhead is something that many fans felt was unwarranted. Pinhead was just Pinhead - we found out that he'd once been a man in the second movie but there was no need to delve further into detail.

Hickox directs all this competently enough but he's hampered by the weak material (though this would be far from the worst of the series). Thankfully, he pulls out all of the stops for the moments of major carnage. The sequence of destruction that takes place in "The Boiler Room" is still impressive for it's FX and nastiness.

With some great gore, a touch of nudity and some creative new cenobites, this isn't a waste of time for fans of the first two movies but it's worth bearing in mind that it takes the series almost into standard slasher fare as opposed to the crazy darkness of the first two films.

Pinhead entering Freddy Krueger territory=failure.

Author: callanvass
8 January 2011

(Credit) IMDb) Pinhead is stuck in a block after the Big Confrontation in "Hellbound," The block containing Pinhead and the puzzle cube is bought by a young playboy as sculpture. Pinhead busies himself escaping by getting the playboy to lure victims to his presence so he can use their blood. Once free, he seeks to destroy the puzzle cube so he need never return to Hell, but a female reporter is investigating the grisly murders and stands in his way.

I do actually manage to get some cheesy entertainment value out of this, but for the wrong reasons. This is not a Hellraiser movie, nor does it feel like one. In all honesty, it feels like a rejected plot straight out of a Nightmare on Elm Street sequel. Pinhead cracking jokes? Come on, I get they were desperate to make this franchise into a hit, but they were doing fine by themselves. Pinhead had already created a legacy with the first two movies, so why the comical route, more money? Well their attempt tanked with a measly 12 million at the box office for there efforts. The gore is certainly fun, but where it comes from it isn't. Some of the cenobites are laughable. One with a hole for a cigarette? One who ejects flying CD's? Bit much in my opinion. The dream sequences are probably the best part of the movie, and there are some solid performances. War scenes I should also give credit too, for looking realistic. Too bad the whole movie is basically a silly excuse for a sequel.

Performances. Doug Bradley plays it OTT, and I didn't buy it. He wasn't funny, and just came across as an angry, comical, sadistic buffoon then scary. Give me the real Pinhead over this comedian any day! As Elliot he's very solid. His dream sequences with Farrell were well done, even if his dialog stunk. Kevin Bernhardt plays the sleazy J.P Monroe decently I suppose, but he felt a bit off sometimes. Don't know what it was, but it just felt that way. Also, he smokes in almost every single scene! Terry Farrell provides us with a solid lead. Couple of off moments, but she performed very well for the most part. Her strong-willed performance got her through this in one piece. Ken Carpenter is horrible as the Doc, plain and simple. Paula Marshall is very good as Terri. Her sniveling ways got a bit tiring after a while, but other then that, I enjoyed her performance. Her chemistry with Farrell is also good. Ashley Laurence has a cameo, nothing memorable.

Bottom line. For some odd reason, I watch it once every couple of years. Probably because I'm a big fan of Pinhead. I get some amusement out of it, but I cannot in any sense of good conscience state it's a good sequel, because it's very mediocre. The real Pinhead died in number 2. Is it worth a viewing? Yes, I suppose it is. Not in a good way though.

4 ½ /10

Hellraiser III

Author: railbuffrob from Westford, MA
25 May 2005

If I were writing an encyclopedia and it came to the point where I had to explain extreme special effects overkill, all I'd have to do is recommend this movie, particularly the last half hour of it.

Up until the last half hour, it seems like a pretty good movie (I haven't seen the other ones), it had the gore and suspense of any great horror movie, but after Pinhead says "I'm going to enjoy making you bleed", that's where you can really tell that they were still under-budget and went on a spending spree. The effects were so overdone that I ended up laughing through most of the end.

I didn't notice too many continuity errors tho, the only one I can think of off bat is when Terri is running from Pinhead, the fire hydrant blows off and floods the street and the power lines fall into the water and you can see the sparks in the water. She steps up onto the sidewalk to escape the water. After being attacked by wires from the storm drain, she goes running down the street somehow not getting electrocuted.

Failure in the writing; most of the thrill was gone.

Author: suite92 from SoCal, USA
1 March 2014

Rich and entitled JP mistakes one of the pillars of souls (which includes a puzzle cube) as a work of art, and purchases it. Clever lad.

Joey is a junior reporter who is discouraged that she is not getting good stories to cover. Then she witnesses a man being destroyed by what looks like a cenobite attack. So who would believe her? Her only clue is Terri, who might be one of JP's girl friends. Terri kept the cube that the dead man broke out of the pillar of souls that JP bought.

JP gets bit by a rat hiding in the hold in the pillar of souls. His blood is absorbed by the Pinhead part of the sculpture.

Terri welcomes Joey's interest in the case, and helps her dig into the art world and nightlife that JP inhabits. They find a connection to the Channard institute from the second film.

While JP entertains a new girl he's picked up, Pinhead shows signs of waking up. The next morning, Pinhead absorbs the girlfriend into the pillar of souls, and Pinhead becomes able to talk to JP about their mutual interests. JP is repelled and quite curious at the same time. He tries to lure Terri back to get further along in the game with Pinhead. She decides to return to the familiar, in spite of everything. JP tries to feed her to Pinhead, but Terri turns the tables on him.

Pinhead's human side contacts Joey via television (hokey moment there) asking for help.

How does Terri do against the resurrected cenobite Pinhead? Will Joey get any traction helping the human side of Pinhead? Will the open doorway for the cenobites be closed again?

-----Scores------

Cinematography: 5/10 Netflix, oi. Netflix streamed this film in 1.33 aspect, despite the fact that the film was shot in 1.85. This means visual information was literally cut off.

Sound: 8/10 Music was composed for the film by Randy Miller, plus music from a number of rock acts was included. Some of the club scene 'live' music was pretty good.

Acting: 4/10 I liked Terry Farrell as Jadzia Dax in Star Trek: DS9, but not so much here. To make it worse, the movie made a poor attempt to convert the actress into being a blonde. Doug Bradley was fine as usual. Paula Marshall I could have done without. Kevin Bernhardt showed all the talent of a bad high school actor.

Screenplay: 2/10 The character Terri could knock out JP with one short jab? Give me a break. There's a whole lot less here in terms of story and motivation than in the first two. The feeling of suspense, menace, and what-happens-next was considerably less. The carnage at the club was less affecting than the more personal horrors in the first and second films.

SFX: 3/10 Very little special here. Explosions for the sake of explosions is just the opposite of convincing. Some of the special FX were just stop action with very few stops.

The Worst Installment In The Franchise

Author: Cole Lynch (kruegerfan97@hotmail.co.uk) from United Kingdom
19 January 2013

I am a huge fan of the majority of the "Hellraiser" franchise. I loved the first two films, "Bloodline" was good, "Inferno" was a great (and imaginative) entry, "Deader" was OK too and "Hellworld" was a very interesting entry (with the best twist ending in the whole series). But "Hell On Earth" made me sick, and I'm not blaming the gore. The acting was horrendous, the designs on the new Cenobites looked completely half- assed and looked like something from a MadTV parody sketch of "Hellraiser", rather than a REAL installment to the one of the most imaginative and interesting horror franchises of all time.

Pinhead, who used to be a calm, intelligent and somewhat wise villain that loosely acted as an "anti-hero" helping Kirsty suck her sick-minded uncle and love-struck step-mother back into the box (as seen in the first two films). But in "Hell On Earth", he is morphed into a dull, one-sided "slasher villain" who just randomly kills whenever he feels like it (aka "what the Pinhead character is the EXACT OPPOSITE of"). Even in the audio commentary included on the DVD, Doug Bradley (Pinhead) displayed his displeasure of his performance in "HOE".

Overall, there are some FEW interesting ideas wandering around the dull story and the score is great too. But the horrible acting, the lazy designs on the new Cenobites, the dull approach on Pinhead and the poor script killed this film for me and is, in my opinion and hopefully everyone else's, the worst installment in the "Hellraiser" franchise...

Ah, Hell

Author: thesar-2 from United States
25 July 2010

They've got to come up with better subtitles. The same word showing up in the main and subtitle should never be done once (Hellbound: Hellraiser II,) but twice? (Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth) What's next? Hellraiser: Hell in a Handbasket? All Hell Breaks Loose: Hellraiser? Or just: Ah, Hell, Another Hellraiser? (Actually, there'll be more in the future of the series: Hellseeker and Hellworld. I don't think those were as clever as mine.) While they're at it, they should pick up a better screenplay writer. Or reboot the series, despite a lot of people's distaste for reboots/remakes. Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth, though not a horrible movie, would've been best served shelved and then rebooted two decades later.

In the same lines of other 1980s and early 1990s horror franchise sequels, comes Pinhead's third outing in which now the box is bestowed upon a TV reporter, Joey (Farrell,) in the Big Apple who must trick Pinhead – for some demon, sorry, Cenobite, he's pretty naïve – in the ghost world of Pinhead's alter-ego Captain Spencer so Pinhead can be defeated…ONCE AND FOR ALL! Seriously, they were making this up as they went along. But there's a little more to the thin story. Joey's trying to make it big in the news, so she's trying to crack a story after witnessing a exploding victim of the puzzle box everyone in the Horror Movie world should avoid, much like saying Candyman 5x in the mirror or going into the water…when they tell you there's a shark or piranha in there.

Meanwhile, Pinhead's pinned to a post and copying from the movie's two predecessors, he needs someone to bring him blood so he can escape. No problem – these Hellraiser movies are chalk full of fools. Needless to say, he escapes, and there really is Hell on Earth with the biggest blood bath totaling more deaths than the first two movies combined times six.

I admired that about this movie. Not only was the subtitle (lazy, though) accurate, but with the very limited budget – what producer really thought his/her return on investment would be high, anyways, so aim low – they did an effective job at mimicking Superman II's NYC Street Fight. (Yes, I'm aware it was Metropolis in the Superman flick, but NYC was always the inspiration for NYC.) In addition to the street scene where Joey must flee Discman (I actually liked that one) and other foes, the club attack was pretty impressive, for what it was. If you're into Slicing'N'Dicing types of horror movies.

The lines were weak (SEE: Hellbound: Hellraiser II's much better display of Pinhead quotes,) the special effects – though slightly improved (SLIGHTLY) – weren't quite there yet and the sound quality was awful, as was the acting. The sequel's definitely inferior, and they literally just made up new rules or new scenarios to fit the screenplay that had to take all but 15 minutes, which included a 10 minute break, to write, but it's recommended for ONLY die-hard Pinhead fans. You could do worse.

The Decline of the Cenobites begins...

Author: Bensch from Salzburg, Austria
20 March 2009

***SPOILERS*** The "Hellraiser" franchise is probably one of the most ingenious ideas ever in Horror cinema, but sadly it is also the proof that ingenious Horror formulas usually decline with each sequel. Clive Barker's "Hellraiser" of 1987 was an absolute masterpiece of Horror and positively one of the most terrifying films ever brought to screen. The 1988 sequel "Hellbound: Hellraiser II" was not quite en par with its predecessor, but still a great and genuinely scary Horror film with an incredible atmosphere, terrifying infernal villains and ultra-gruesome gore effects. This third film in the series, "Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth" of 1992 only keeps up on the gore, but sadly not on atmosphere and suspense, and is an ideal example of how the 90s were the decade which generally marked the decline of the Horror genre.

I wouldn't necessarily call "Hell On Earth" a bad film as such, but I simply find it annoying to an infuriating point how the film detaches the creepiness of its predecessors. The settings of part 1 and 2 were Hellish beyond comparison, the epitome of an original and highly terrifying vision of cinematic Hell. This third part is suddenly set mainly in a club where a bunch of idiots dance to bad music and pseudo-macabre decoration. The first face that is seen in the film is that of club-owner J.P. Monroe (Kevin Bernhardt), and from the very first second, I couldn't wait for that idiot to die a violent death. The guy buys a morbidly-looking sculpture, which is - surprise! - a hideout in which Pinhead and his fellow Cenobites are waiting to be awoken... The majority of the other characters are not much less annoying. The only slightly likable human character is the female lead Joanne, played by Terry Farell, and that's only because she's pretty hot. The worst thing about "Hell On Earth", however, is the decline of the iconic character of Lead Cenobite Pinhead (Doug Bradley). As it was the case in so many other Horror films in the 90s, the makers of this film obviously felt the necessity of giving one of the most terrifying Horror villains a 'funny' touch - which completely destroys the gruesome greatness of the character. They even felt the need to make a 'good' counterpart to Pinhead - the person he was before becoming a demon. Also, Pinhead's persona is turned upside-down as he laughs all the time in this one - another aspect which lessens the creepiness of the character. Even so, Pinhead is still by far the most memorable aspect of this film. Another aspect in which this is still exceptional is the ultra-gruesome and genuinely sadistic gore. Gore alone isn't everything, though. Among other unnecessary aspects, "Hell On Earth" adds many superficially 'coool' elements like blue cyber-rays or a Cenobite with a Camera coming out of his eye. Ouch! Overall, this review may sound a bit too pessimistic. As said above, the film isn't all THAT bad, and it definitely has its entertaining moments. It is just so unspeakably inferior to its predecessors that it is hard to point out any positive points. It is still better than most of the sequels to come, but the lack of scariness and the travesty of the original is hard to forgive.

Stupid....

Author: Chipsmannen from Norway
31 December 2008

I'm serious when I write this comment: Is this a horror movie or a comedy? I just can't figure that out. I was ready for som pure sick violence and gore which I did get, but besides that I saw a CD Cenobite, a Camera-man Cenobite and a cocktail Cenobite. Even a smoker cenobite and a metal pipe in his head cenobite. The camera-man cenobite even said hilarious things after killing people like: "That's a wrap" and "Ready for your close up". Even Pinhead started to use muscle power and yelled and growled like a dog. They killed Pinhead to say it in other words. And one scene you could se Jim Carrey appear in a coffee cup! It looked just like him! Surely it wasn't him, but... Jeez! I'm giving this movie 5 for two reasons: awesome killings and scenes that made me cry of laughter. Seriously, I cried! For all you "Pinhead is awesome and mysterious"-people out there: Do not watch this movie!

Page 10 of 15: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]