IMDb > Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
Page 9 of 15: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

A little cornier than I remembered

Author: Jesse-45 from Camp Crystal Lake
26 May 2000

I remembered this film to be very entertaining, but I just saw it a few days ago and it's not that great as I remembered. There's some pretty bad acting, and the direction is pretty bad too. It's very unintentionally funny, if you want some laughs and the gore and nudity are great! But the least of the series. NOTE : This film mainly focuses on Pinhead, one of the cinema's most freaky villains.

How could Barker let Hollywood Swine do this to his masterpiece?

Author: Drew Roggy (tgp2000@hotmail.com) from Illinois
27 March 1999

I just saw Hellraiser 3 the other day, and I've never seen a more typical example of a pathetic sequel thrown together by talentless Hollywood big shots to make themselves a little richer. The stereotypical characters make me sick. There's the whiny girl with a bad case of PMS who thinks her life is miserable because her boyfriends have been mean to her. There's the rich spoiled brat of a nightclub owner who entices countless women with mommy and daddy's money only to spit them out when he's done with them. However, what makes it all even worse is that Pinhead is the most stereotypical of all. What was once a brilliant character is reduced to "find all of the supermodel victims I can and kill them with my chains ala Freddy Kruger." The story has gone from a complex masterpiece from the genius mind of Clive Barker to a film more generic than Wes Craven's 'Scream' with the typical 'the bad guy is loose and we have to stop him' plot that has accompanied almost all other horror movies to date. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd have to give this movie a 1 compared to the 10 Id give it's predecessors. I just hope Bloodline (Hlrsr 4) isn't this bad despite the fact that it is 4 in a series that should have stopped after number 2.

Coffee with Pinhead.

Author: FiendishDramaturgy from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
13 September 2004

This was the definitive movie in the Hellraiser series in that it defined Pinhead as the ultimate nemesis whereas before, Frank held that role.

Many critics have stated that this movie was totally unnecessary within the series, but I beg to differ. It explained who and what Pinhead was, introduced you to his character in a much more satisfying way, and allowed the viewer to develop a bond with his charismatic persona; both as human and as demon.

These factors are quite necessary if this series is to continue. Terry Farrel and Paula Marshall (of Warlock: The Armageddon and Steve Martin's surprise 2004 summer hit "Cheaper By The Dozen") both contributed their best work (Paula Marshall was just hitting the big screen), rendering solid performances.

This movie will be somewhat of a disappointment for splatter fans as it is not the bloodiest of the line. While this may not be the bloodiest (but it is quite bloody) or most action-filled installment, it is most necessary in following the story line and flow of the gruesome nightmare journey into Hell that is Hellraiser.

It rates an 8.2/10 from...

the Fiend :.

One of the best in the series

Author: GL84 from Los Angeles, Ca
31 October 2014

Sensing a chance for a real story, a newswoman stumbles upon a sociopath art dealer who's in possession of the box that summons Pinhead and his demons and forces her to find its origins to finally defeat him.

Frankly, this one is one of the most underrated efforts in the series. Among the many positives here is the fact this one finally manages to uncover the real past involving Pinhead and his connection to the box which causes this to really connect the series together. By doing that in accordance with the heavy use of action within this, as there's no shortage of exciting, high-energy action scenes, this one is packed to the brim with exciting elements. The opening hospital scene that sets up the cause to investigate the nightclub, the first encounter in the bedroom with the Pinhead statue, the gradual realization of the friends turned into the new Cenobites and the massacre at the nightclub are just some of the rather impressive and exciting action through this, and each one tends to get all the more exciting by gaining in spectacle that causes all the rather enjoyable fun throughout. Of course, the real spectacle here is the mad dash through the streets where there's non-stop threats on display, from the initial attacks like the possessed power-lines and charged water chasing after her to the blasting eruptions underground and finally the appearance of the Cenobites which lead s to all sorts of chaos as their new-found powers are put on display against the few passersby left on the street as well as trying to contain her running down the street. This is a lot of fun and really gets the kind of exceptionally enjoyable and gory action-packed sequence that scores quite well as a show highlight as well. There's also the rather fun feature of having Pinhead around for quite a bit of screen-time being ably rewarded with him fully getting those glorious monologues and dementedly enjoyable quips that he goes through on the others, and the ones in here are among the better ones in the series due to all the extra time he has. That also gives him some fine extra scenes as the tormenting of the priest in the church and the release from the statue which really completes this one quite well. The only thing that really hurts this one is the battle in the secondary dimension that really just amounts to all sorts of posturing without really doing anything and is filled with some lame special effects throughout despite being quite impressive the rest of the film. It's the only real flaw in this one.

Rated R: Graphic Violence, Graphic Language, Brief Nudity, a sex scene and mild drug use.

Peter Atkins script, Anthony Hickox's film is a worthy successor to Clive Barker's flesh-ripping original. A good horror sequel , this is adult horror to die for.

Author: badfeelinganger from United Kingdom
18 September 2014

Hellraiser III gives the series a much needed jump-start, following a great and classic original, and a strong first sequel. Unfortunately, the 'Female Cenobite' (mysteriously left unnamed), 'Chatterer,' and 'Butterball' are gone, but a series of about half a dozen new Cenobites keeps the hellish imagery alive. I think that one of the better elements of this instalment in the series is that they show all of the new Cenobites being created. In the anti-religious tradition of the Hellraiser series, some of Pinhead's antics in the church near the end of the film are great. When the priest holds up the cross to him, Pinhead melts it in his hand, and at the same time he utters an absolutely brilliant bit of dialogue, 'Thou shalt not bow down to any graven image.'After that, Pinhead's self-crucifixion scene was wonderfully sickening, yet his intentions in doing that were both clearly presented and morbidly farcical. Jesus was crucified, paying for man's sins, thereby saving mankind from damnation and becoming the subject of countless masses of people's unquestioning adoration, inspiring Pinhead to crucify himself and state that 'I am the way.' Therefor the underlining meaning is that Pinhead will sacrifice himself, paying for man to 'live' in sin. Utterly brilliant! Besides all that, I think that this instalment had some of the best death scenes of the series so far, particularly in the nightclub. Some of that was almost physically painful to watch, a sure sign of success for a horror film. Not only was that Boiler Room massacre convincingly portrayed, but writer Peter Atkins also had the excellent idea to have poor Terri walk through the masses of mutilated bodies after the massacre had ended. Pretty uplifting stuff, huh? A little too gory and bloody? Don't moan about that, it's not supposed to be good, clean, fun. This is a horror film, and by definition, horror films are supposed to be horrible. Hellraiser III achieves this horror better than either of the two that preceded it, finally leaving the viewer satisfied. With its bravura camera-work, fetishistic Cenobite designs, nerve-jangling soundtrack, and literate Peter Atkins script, Anthony Hickox's film is a worthy successor to Clive Barker's flesh-ripping original.Freed from the stone prison of the Pillar of Souls, Pinhead quickly dispatches decadent rock club owner JP Monroe. Hearing of JP's gruesome death, TV reporter Joey Summerskill sniffs a scoop, but what she finds is something more nightmarish: Pinhead and his new purveyors of pain, Camerahead, CD and Barbie.

It's a watchable third installment in the "Hellraiser" franchise

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
30 May 2014

The previous "Hellraiser" movies portrayed Pinhead as this mysterious enigma that is a force to be reckoned with. This time around Pinhead is portrayed as some boogeyman that needs other to power him back up. The plot is somewhat similar of the goons trying to get a powerful evil villain to come back to the real world with a physical form and powers. While a female reporter is trying to find out what is going on with crazy murders that is taking place and having crazy dreams and visions while doing so. The plot this time is super far-fetched and doesn't make much sense at all, especially when it comes to the human mind. The scare factor is almost all gone with this installment with more human indulgence going on. It actually seemed like a rehash of the first movie with more stuff going on, but more doesn't necessarily mean better when it comes to movies. This time it shows the a lot more human side of Pinhead and his personality traits when he was human. Of his thoughts, motives and desires. Which in a way would have been cool, but takes away from the effective momentum of Pinhead as a horror icon. Not only that this installment breaks away from the rules when it comes to the cenobites (it does explain why, but it gets distracting and feels like a cop-out for mayhem). This one expands upon the human indulgence on the human flesh and pleasure, not in depth though but exterior wise (most of the movie takes place at a night club). Including a bit more masochism as well when it comes to the humans and Pinhead. But it fails to expand up on the mythos in a effective manner. I personally don't think this installment is a effective installment, but it's just alright. It's not awful and for the most part at least watchable.

5.6/10

Taking hell out onto the street, in "don't midjudge violence quota" third installment

Author: videorama-759-859391 from adelaide, australia
27 May 2014

I love the Hellraiser movies. Pinheads's facial features are spellbinding with the voice of a man, I'd feel hesitant about meeting. Though this third installment, does show signs of wearing, it still packs quite a punch, where it seems to have eased up on the violence some, that's if comparing it to number 2 which was all out, in vast supply. There is still a bloody lot of gore, but it's not as graphic like in it's predecessor. (chains have never looked more scary) This Hellraiser is remotely different from the other two. This one's more modern, if with a wooden plot tacked on around the gore, what have you. Here Pinhead has escaped. His box has ended up in this statuette that this young gigolo, nightclub owner, JJ ,has bought. So we know what is to ensue. The p..sed off girlfriend, (Paula Marshall) ends up at this female journalist's place, investigating this big story, where soon it's them against the forces of evil with Pinhead taking it out onto the street in an explosive finale. Hellraiser fans will still like this one, where others there will be varied opinions. We have a nice little sex too with rose giving JJ, before the sweet little thing becomes Pinheads, and JJ's mouth is agape with shock.

Pinhead gets technical

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
17 March 2012

Strange thing in the world of the horror genre, we have the big names of Jason, Freddy and Michael. But there are a few names while still well known for some reason didn't provide such a big splash when it came to the box office like Hellraiser with Pinhead who is one of the best monsters in cinema. The monster is nothing more than about torture and pain, he feels no mercy towards anyone and loves the pleasure of hurting your flesh. The first Hellraiser is without a doubt a twisted crazy classic, to get into Clive Barker's head must be a trip. He created some very disturbing images that will never get out of your head once you see Hellraiser. It was the first time where a horror film had started dark and stayed dark throughout the entire movie and there was no letting go to let you breathe. Then the sequel came along, still staying dark and having a new world to take us into with the same characters and our questions from the first film were answered. It was a good sequel that could hold up a candle to the original. Then, in the spirit of most horror films, we were given the third Hellraiser called Hell on Earth.

The revelation of his own former humanity has resulted in Pinhead being split into two distinct entities: His former self, British Army Captain Eliot Spencer, and a manifestation of Spencer's id, which takes on the form of Pinhead. While Spencer ends up in limbo, Pinhead is trapped, along with the puzzle box, amongst the writhing figures and distorted faces etched into the surface of an intricately carved pillar - the Pillar of Souls. The pillar is bought by the rich and spoiled J.P. Monroe, owner of a popular nightclub called The Boiler Room. An ambitious young television reporter, Joey, slowly begins to learn about Pinhead and the mysterious puzzle box. She is introduced to the pain the box can bring when she views a teenage club-goer being ripped apart by the box's chains in a hospital emergency room. Joey is contacted by the spirit of Elliot Spencer, who tells her that this "Pinhead" is a separate entity. Without Spencer's humanity to act as a balancing influence, this Pinhead is completely evil and has no sense of order. Rather than abide by the laws of the Cenobite realm, he will indiscriminately wreak havoc on Earth for his own pleasure unless he can be stopped.

So given new eye candy with Terry Farrell as the leading lady, competing with Ashley Laurence as Kirsty is no easy task. Terry does do pretty well in keeping up with Elliot Spencer, but her scenes with Pinhead are not up to par. A lot of fans did complain about the new cenobites, that they were too goofy looking, I agree in some sense but still liked the over all look of them. I thought they still were pretty intimidating, well except for the CD throwing cenobite, what was that about? I loved how in the end there were about 10 explosions every 2 minutes and they kept going and going and going. I also got a great kick out of how every person Joey bumped into died a second later in the end, if she ran into me on the other street, I'd be more afraid of her than Pinhead. The way people reacted in this film was unreal at times and the story was a bit silly and a let down from the two previous films. But I did find a certain entertainment from the film and I think some people are a little too harsh on it. Pinhead came to bring Hell on Earth and he certainly did for an hour and a half.

A new direction for the series...the wrong way.

Author: thrashmetal420 from United States
15 January 2012

Basically I thought this movie sucked. Especially when you compare it to the last two films that spawned it. The director and or producers decided to make Pinhead and the Cenobites 'cool' and 'fun' like the Nightmare on Elm Street series did with Freddy. This is basically a failure. Don't get me wrong, Pinhead has some good moments of dialog as he manipulates these idiotic characters from the pillar. But the one-liners were much too cheesy for my tastes. Anyhow here's the lowdown.

The good: J.P. is a schmuck that you want to see killed by Pinhead. You get your wish. The club seems like a place I'd go if I were of age in '92. Terri was cool and hot. I wish she was the main character.

The bad: Weak story. Joey. I found the character annoying. What a terrible name for a woman. The new cenobites were ridiculous. They gave them one liners. It was embarrassing. The flashback war scenes with Joey. Joey's presence distracted from any effectiveness here.

The beginning of the end.

Author: Matt Kracht (krachtm@yahoo.com) from New York
24 April 2011

There isn't really much to say about Hellraiser 3, because all Clive Barker fans are already familiar with this movie, and they all have strong opinions about it. I'm on the side of those who think that this movie single-handedly ruined the Hellraiser franchise, damning it to crappy, direct-to-video sequels. I'm not sure how one could mess up a Hellraiser movie so badly. Pinhead becomes a Freddy Krueger-inspired serial killer, spouting off one-liners and killing off young adults by the dozen. The Lament Configuration becomes Pinhead's sole weakness, rather than the vessel by which he is summoned. The cast is younger, prettier, and wears less clothes. The new Cenobites are a huge disappointment. What was once the stuff of nightmares becomes over-the-top and silly. In fact, the whole movie is campy, silly, and panders way too much to teenage audiences.

The absolute worst part? I liked Anthony Hickox's Waxwork and Waxwork 2. How could he have made such a horrible mess of this movie? Hopefully, it was studio interference that ruined Hellraiser 3, but I guess everyone messes up sometimes.