IMDb > Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
Page 4 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

This movie is retarded to say at best.

Author: Nick Damian from Toronto, Ontario
4 November 2002

The best compliment that I can give this movie is that the special effects were halfway decent and that the girls looked hot.

This movie is retarded and stupid at best and downright idiotic and horrible.

The only horror and fear that I got from this film is that I turned on the screen and spent some time watching this. I turned it off 3 times and still was unable to finish watching it.

SCARY? NOOOOO!! STUPID-YESSSS!!!

If stupidity and lack of story was at the top of the list, I would give it a 10, however they are not, so I will give this movie a **1**...simply to credit the efforts of people who did not any main creative power for this film.

I believe that cast and crew aside of the DIRECTOR and PRODUCER have worked hard and deserved a paycheck...and this is where my compliment goes to...the cast and crew for putting their time and effort to make this work. (Camera crew, lighting, makeup, gaffers, electricians, casting, transportation, craft service,painters, set decorators, location scouts, maintenance, hair and makeup....but NOT the DIRECTOR or PRODUCER...no FRIGGEN way.)

The director should not be paid, nor should the producers. Infact, I strongly believe that they should be paying ME. YES, I should be paid for watching this!!! Why not? This was outragiously boring and stupid; and I felt cheated within the first 10 minutes or so.

>>>>My over all comment....BAD...VERY BAD...VERY VERY BAD...oh yeah...and STUPID!!!

Pinhead...Freddy Krueger style!

Author: Bozo
20 February 2008

A lot of people badmouth this movie because it was different than the first 2. I Think it was better actually. I liked Pinhead in this movie, he seemed more alive. Also, new characters, which was a very nice change of things from the first two. We have a new storyline here as well, which is very well done and I think it outdoes that of the first 2 movies. We also get a new set of Cenobites here. They are very interesting, and a nice change of pace from the same 3 cenobites in the first 2 movies. Except the one new cenobite in the 2nd movie (won't mention name to prevent the use of spoilers). Fans of the Nightmare series will love this, and die-hard Pinhead fans will love this as well. There's something for everyone. I give this 9/10. Seriously, you will like it.

One of the best in the Hellraiser series!

Author: Prolox from Canada
20 January 2005

HELLRAISER III: HELL ON EARTH is easily one of the series best entries! True this sequel really wasn't needed, much less necessary, since it's story was pretty much all told & finished with HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER II, but what is here makes for a highly enjoyable entry. Many fans of the series have scoffed at this entry, since it is quiet different in tone & execution from that of the first two films, but I found the new direction in terms of it's story & execution to be a breath of fresh air & at least made it not only different than most sequels, done to popular horror franchises, but also thankfully refrains itself from merely treading the same old grounds as it's predecessors. What's interesting is how the film doesn't create new cenobites or new hells as one would have thought, another sequel might explore, especially since all the villains that populated the first two were all dead by HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER II's end, but rather just expands on the originals story, relocating it from Britain to New York City (Although it is never explained why the forces of darkness chose this location, rather than staying where they were). The acting is strong here & the characters were well thought out & interesting. The major stand out is the character of J.P. MONROE, who bears a strong resemblance to the character of Frank in the first two films. A man who's sexual lusts knows no bounds, or can ever be satisfied & who is quiet a spiteful character (he even betrayed & murdered his own parents in order to obtain his vast wealth) in fact he even utters a line Frank uttered in the original film: "Come To Daddy" as he tries to lure his naive teenage girlfriend into his clutches, to use her as a intended sacrifice to Pinhead. Speaking of Pinhead, he takes centre stage here & is shown quiet a bit, wherein the first two entries saw his appearances limned along with his followers. With the battle between him, Joey & Pinhead's good side, Elliot Spencer, being the centrepiece of the film, which makes HELLRAISER III: HELL ON EARTH, a much more dualistic film than the previous entries. I really enjoyed Bradley's performance here, it's easily one of his best portrayals of Pinhead yet. You can tell he is really having a fun time in the role. He delivers his sadistic one liners with such unholy relish & sadistic glee that one almost considers it a shame, how badly his character was misused, in a series of increasingly mediocre sequels that were to follow. The direction by ANTHONY HICKOX is really good, as he is able to deliver several cool shots & captures the carnage that Pinhead & his cenobites unleash at all the right angles. The kills are cool & the gore is nice & plentiful & while Randy Miller's score is really good (We also get some of Christopher Young's musical cues from the first two films as well) a rock soundtrack mostly dominates the film, with MOTORHEADS "HELLRAISER" rock song being a nice fit (Rocker OZZY OSBOURNE also assists with some of the music). Another thing that a lot of fans didn't like was the Cenobite creations, calling them silly, I disagree, I thought how they were created was interesting, while it does disappointingly stray away from the chain embedded in flesh like creations of the first two, each cenobite is cleverly fashioned, based on their human indulgence & loves in life, such as a bartender who mixed & lit cocktails is turned into a fire breathing coenobite, a character who loved smoking has cigarettes lodged in her hands & throat, a cameraman has a camera turned weapon lodged in his head etc. The box itself here is no longer used as a key to enter into the dark beyond, but rather serves (this time) as more of a crucifix that would be used to ward off a vampire, as Pinhead seeks to destroy it, an act that will leave him free to terrorize mankind for all eternity. The film's budget is certainly bigger, not only is the picture slicker looking, but also featured plenty of good chase scenes & explosions. Thankfully the film doesn't make the mistake of it's predecessor, by humanizing Pinhead & going to deep into a back story. While does it does not ignore what happened in HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER II, I consider it a feather in this film's cap, that it was able to take that idea (which I never liked by the way, I felt it cheapened the character & liked it best when in the original film, we assumed he was a demon that had guarded & walked up & down hell for centuries) & make it work.

All in all, I highly recommend HELLRAISER III, not only does it expand on the HELLRAISER mytho's, it takes this entry in a much fresher direction & while that could so easily have spelled disaster for the film, the great news is, it doesn't hinder the franchise at all. HELLRAISER III: HELL ON EARTH is just a fun, popcorn monster movie, delivering plenty of great stunts, carnage, fun characters, interesting villains & most of the series trademarks to make fans happy. ASHLEY LAURENCE has a cameo appearance as Kirsty. Followed by HELLRAISER: BLOODLINE

**** stars

It's rare when I can say it, but this was abysmal.

Author: PlayerSS from North Carolina
2 June 2006

I just went back and watched first two before this one. What was Doug Bradley thinking when he signed on to put Pinhead through this? There are quite a lot of things wrong with this movie.

First off Pinhead is way to "humanized" in this one. He talks a lot which makes him more human and less demon from Hell. I also didn't like how it wasn't really Pinhead doing all the killings. It was just a shell of Spencer's former evil manifested on earth. I hated that. I couldn't believe it when it pointlessly started laughing during the club scene as well. Which brings me to my next points.

The movie was way to urban to be a Hellraiser movie. I didn't like it that it took place in a club a lot and in the city. Plus Pinhead and the cenobites were exposed to way to many people. What ever happened to the only people seeing them was the people that figured out the box? That took away a lot of mystery of them.

Next is all the pointless scenes of gore. I'm a big fan of gore, but the gore meant completely nothing in the movie as compared to the last ones. The club scene where Pinhead out of no where just kills a bunch of people is a shame.

They tried so hard to make Pinhead the anti-hero villain like Jason or Freddy eventually became, but by this time nobody was asking him to be the anti-hero. This was only the third movie. I didn't feel for anybody in the movie and they tried desperately to make people care about Pinhead for some reason.

Next up is the freakin cheesy new Cenobites. I'm sorry, but a fat bartender Cenobite isn't going to replace butterball Cenobite. WTF was up with the camera Cenobite and his one liners? I also had to chuckle at the CD Cenobite.

The pay off to the Spencer/Pinhead separation was done decent, but Spencer and Pinhead being separated really wasn't needed in the first place. Oh well it's rule that classic horror series must be turned into jokes.

In the end this movie was completely abysmal. Which there's not many movies that earn that title from me. Pinhead was elevated to the central character and humanized a lot, because of all the lines he had and his actions. The desperate attempt at making Pinhead the anti-hero villain didn't work for me.

The pay off to the Spencer/Pinhead separation was done decent, but Spencer and Pinhead being separated really wasn't needed in the first place. Part 4 actually seems good in comparison.

New and Improved Cennobites!

Author: domino1003 from East Texas, USA
6 June 2005

In the third installment of the Hellraiser series, we meet Joey (Terry Farrell), a reporter waiting for a good story to boost her career. She finds it in the ER when a guy is brought in, his body loaded with hooks. He gets literally ripped while the doctors are trying to save him. What is going on, she wonders. Her investigation leads her to Terri (Paula Marshall), who brought the guy to the ER. Seems she found the familiar puzzle box stuck in a stone pillar at her boyfriend J.P.'s (Kevin Bernhardt)club, The Boiler Room. What they don't know is that J.P. discovers Pinhead (Doug Bradley) encased in the pillar, and that he is giving Pinhead victims so he can be released.

Joey finds out about Pinhead and about the man he used to be, Captain Spencer, who tells Joey that in order to release his soul and stop the bloodshed, Pinhead has to be sent back to Hell.

Of course, this is easier said than done. Released from the pillar, Pinhead causes quite a stir in the club. When Joey gets to the club, she meets Pinhead and his new Cennobite Crew. She soon runs for her life, being chased around town by Camerahead (Her friend), CD the DJ(Using CD's in an ugly way), and Barbie Cennobite (Making nasty cocktails).

This was a pretty good film in the series, and a cool new Cennobite crew. Nasty surprises throughout the film, and a great addition to the series.

One of the worst horror sequels in history

Author: Rudy Edwards from Atlanta, GA
24 November 2001

In a genre founded on bad sequels, Hell on Earth is one of the worst. After the first two Hellraiser movies developed a powerful mythology, It's all flushed down the toilet in the third movie, apparently to create a franchise in a marketplace dominated by fantastic lead characters. Pinhead does not make a Freddy Krueger, however, and all that happens in this movie is the tearing down of Clive Barker's fantastic world, throwing all of the previous personality and character of it's denizens out the window.

* out of 4.

Author: Brandon L. Sites (brandonsites1981@yahoo.com) from USA
1 June 2002

Cheap looking sequel reduces the complicated Hellraiser and Pinhead legends into your standard Freddy and Jason cliches complete with teenagers running around in distress and discussing their so called problems in between.

This time around Pinhead (Doug Bradley) and a TV news reporter (Terry Farrell) battle it out for possession over a box that can open the gates of hell and end the world as we know it. Not even Bradley's commanding presence can breath life into this.

Unrated; Sexual Situations, Nudity, Extreme Graphic Violence, and Profanity.

Panic at the disco....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
18 September 2014

Reporter Joey Summerskill learns about the notorious puzzle box, the unbearable pain it can bring, and Pinhead, after seeing a young clubber get ripped apart by the box's chains.

She tracks the box and a woman named Terri down to a club called the Boiler Room, owned by playboy J.P., who feeds Pinhead, trapped in a marble pillar, blood from club members so he can escape.

As time runs out, Joey must think of a way to bring Pinhead and his Cenobites back to the realm of Pinhead's human self or succumb to an eternity of pain and suffering......

Seeing the third installment as a fifteen year old teenager was, ironically, heaven. The make up was brilliant, it was all blood and gore, and the music was loud.

Seeing it twenty years later, the make up is still great, the blood and gore covers up the obviously bonkers plot, and it's blooming loud. Sometimes so loud you cannot hear the bad script, but you can still see the poor CGI.

The Hellraiser franchise has always been an oddity. Obviously Barker never intended Pin- head to be referenced as much as Freddy or Jason, he wasn't even a main character in the series until this movie, and this is where the series went down the wrong alley.

The director is notorious for making goofy films. Look at the Waxwork movies, and the second Warlock, enjoyable but throwaway fluff.

The Hellraiser films where supposed to be serious Gothic horrors, and thanks to this, we get a video camera faced man walking round shouting stuff like close up.

It's not bad by any means, but imagine how many must have felt when the franchise basically sold out?

Just a slasher

Author: Max Renn from Melborne
23 August 2014

If the franchise would have ended with the 2nd part, then there already would have been too many films, but the 3rd part is even more out there. Barker must have thought that too, 'cause after Anthony Hickox's 3rd part Barker jumped ship and back away from the whole thing (even if he was only just the executive producer on this one already) So he didn't have much to do with the story and he didn't hide that fact or the fact that he wasn't too pleased with the sequels. Hellraiser III made the biggest mistake it could make. It lowered Pinhead to the level of all the other baddies, he only differed from any other typical killer by looking better and having a few good one liners. So they successfully made a slasher movie out of the series. Pinhead is stuck in a block after the Big Confrontation in "Hellbound," The block containing Pinhead and the puzzle cube is bought by a young playboy as an art piece. Pinhead busies himself escaping by getting the playboy to lure victims to his presence so he can use their blood. Once free, he seeks to destroy the puzzle cube so he need never return to Hell, but a female reporter is investigating the grisly murders thus standing in his way. After the pointlessly dragged out beginning (you have to wait till almost half the film for Pinhead to escape) he is ridiculously quiet and spends the rest of the film running from the other Cenobits with the cube in his hand. Barker's pain and pleasure theme is gone, in its place we get the very original "we have to stop the bad guy before he releases chaos onto the world" theme. After the first film that's totally of logic. The makers must have wanted us to just forget that he was neither evil nor the bringer of chaos before. So this part brings to fruition what Hellbound started: in other words stripping it of meaning. Then with no original concept it just adds itself to all the other stupid, pointless horror sequels. This also meant that the terrifying Pinhead becomes someone who chases a woman how? by walking menacingly slowly behind her! He becomes a supernatural baddie in a slasher movie, who kills without discretion or reason anyone who gets close just not the one he should be killing. And the Cenobits who are made from his victims are just plain lame. The killings at the disco that were promising in the beginning of the scene quickly turns to something with which it's easy to see that the whole film should have landed in the garbage. In the bloodcurdling calm Pinheads place we got a hysterically laughing, over emoting Freddy clone. In place of the weighty, brutal atmosphere we got a silly, cartoon parody of itself kills just to shock viewers. So even the gore doesn't end up meaning too much. All in all the only thing positive that can be said about Hell on Earth is Pinhead's awesome church scene. And its true, if you forget there was a first part, that it's a perfect slasher film. 5/10 https://www.youtube.com/user/Videodromeblog

More Pinhead less imagination

Author: mahashemi from United Kingdom
16 June 2007

I watched all the Hellraisors together in one day and have to say loved them all. Hell on earth was very different from the other two ,somthing that Buffy the Vampire slayer were inspired by, it can be placed in a different genre.More mess ,more blood,more people but less effort , which have obviously put off all the fans.

For me the main pleasure was to see more of Pinhead and enjoy his presence but in return we loose all of those beautiful creepy Hitchcock moments, imaginative atmosphere of hell , the endless labyrinth and the mysterious mythology and of course powerful female character Julia , the queen of Hell. The female character Joey doesn't bring anything to the film the mass murdering scenes are just simply brutal and stupid but fun to watch . and end chase is just sad and silly but the transformed bartender and camera man are great.

basically if you replace the pinhead with something else it would simply be unwatchable. but hey , its just another chapter,just Pinhead being adventurous for a change.