IMDb > Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
Page 3 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Hellraiser III...enjoyable but not the best.

Author: netolopezsantos from Mexico
20 December 2009

I rented this movie last Friday , me and my girlfriend watched it.I think it is not that well made as the other two hellraiser movies, but the other movies are more original and this one pinhead is like a Freddy Krueger..Jason killer.But it is so well made and interesting i loved when Joey walked through the window and came to the other room...So magical and scary.The main character makes the movie believable and real.I loved the scary dreams she had about her father,the were so touching.Very gory and good.People will identify a lot with one of the characters named Terry because the girl is starting her life and she is kinda lost like all of us were.Some scenes that you will enjoy is when she is being chased by the cenobites across the street and when the good side of pinhead talked to joey through the radio or the TV.I truly recommend this movie...not the best but still a movie all hellraiser fans will love. rated R:STRONG VIOLENCE,SEXUALITY AND LANGUAGE.

One of the best in the Hellraiser series!

Author: Prolox from Canada
20 January 2005

HELLRAISER III: HELL ON EARTH is easily one of the series best entries! True this sequel really wasn't needed, much less necessary, since it's story was pretty much all told & finished with HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER II, but what is here makes for a highly enjoyable entry. Many fans of the series have scoffed at this entry, since it is quiet different in tone & execution from that of the first two films, but I found the new direction in terms of it's story & execution to be a breath of fresh air & at least made it not only different than most sequels, done to popular horror franchises, but also thankfully refrains itself from merely treading the same old grounds as it's predecessors. What's interesting is how the film doesn't create new cenobites or new hells as one would have thought, another sequel might explore, especially since all the villains that populated the first two were all dead by HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER II's end, but rather just expands on the originals story, relocating it from Britain to New York City (Although it is never explained why the forces of darkness chose this location, rather than staying where they were). The acting is strong here & the characters were well thought out & interesting. The major stand out is the character of J.P. MONROE, who bears a strong resemblance to the character of Frank in the first two films. A man who's sexual lusts knows no bounds, or can ever be satisfied & who is quiet a spiteful character (he even betrayed & murdered his own parents in order to obtain his vast wealth) in fact he even utters a line Frank uttered in the original film: "Come To Daddy" as he tries to lure his naive teenage girlfriend into his clutches, to use her as a intended sacrifice to Pinhead. Speaking of Pinhead, he takes centre stage here & is shown quiet a bit, wherein the first two entries saw his appearances limned along with his followers. With the battle between him, Joey & Pinhead's good side, Elliot Spencer, being the centrepiece of the film, which makes HELLRAISER III: HELL ON EARTH, a much more dualistic film than the previous entries. I really enjoyed Bradley's performance here, it's easily one of his best portrayals of Pinhead yet. You can tell he is really having a fun time in the role. He delivers his sadistic one liners with such unholy relish & sadistic glee that one almost considers it a shame, how badly his character was misused, in a series of increasingly mediocre sequels that were to follow. The direction by ANTHONY HICKOX is really good, as he is able to deliver several cool shots & captures the carnage that Pinhead & his cenobites unleash at all the right angles. The kills are cool & the gore is nice & plentiful & while Randy Miller's score is really good (We also get some of Christopher Young's musical cues from the first two films as well) a rock soundtrack mostly dominates the film, with MOTORHEADS "HELLRAISER" rock song being a nice fit (Rocker OZZY OSBOURNE also assists with some of the music). Another thing that a lot of fans didn't like was the Cenobite creations, calling them silly, I disagree, I thought how they were created was interesting, while it does disappointingly stray away from the chain embedded in flesh like creations of the first two, each cenobite is cleverly fashioned, based on their human indulgence & loves in life, such as a bartender who mixed & lit cocktails is turned into a fire breathing coenobite, a character who loved smoking has cigarettes lodged in her hands & throat, a cameraman has a camera turned weapon lodged in his head etc. The box itself here is no longer used as a key to enter into the dark beyond, but rather serves (this time) as more of a crucifix that would be used to ward off a vampire, as Pinhead seeks to destroy it, an act that will leave him free to terrorize mankind for all eternity. The film's budget is certainly bigger, not only is the picture slicker looking, but also featured plenty of good chase scenes & explosions. Thankfully the film doesn't make the mistake of it's predecessor, by humanizing Pinhead & going to deep into a back story. While does it does not ignore what happened in HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER II, I consider it a feather in this film's cap, that it was able to take that idea (which I never liked by the way, I felt it cheapened the character & liked it best when in the original film, we assumed he was a demon that had guarded & walked up & down hell for centuries) & make it work.

All in all, I highly recommend HELLRAISER III, not only does it expand on the HELLRAISER mytho's, it takes this entry in a much fresher direction & while that could so easily have spelled disaster for the film, the great news is, it doesn't hinder the franchise at all. HELLRAISER III: HELL ON EARTH is just a fun, popcorn monster movie, delivering plenty of great stunts, carnage, fun characters, interesting villains & most of the series trademarks to make fans happy. ASHLEY LAURENCE has a cameo appearance as Kirsty. Followed by HELLRAISER: BLOODLINE

**** stars

Haven't seen any of its predecessors, but this movie's pretty cool

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
16 September 2001

Though I haven't seen the original "Hellraiser" or its sequel "Hellbound: Hellraiser 2" I can say this is fun, decent B-movie fare. However, I'm not sure if this is one of those sequels that depends highly on the plight of its predecessors. I saw the video in the discount bin and purchased it for $4.88. What did I have to lose? The special effects are awesome. Doug Bradley is good as Pinhead. The gorgeous Paula Marshall (who many probably remember as the interviewer who found out about Jerry and George's alleged gay secret on that great episode of "Seinfeld") is also in it. Man, man, man, is she hot!! There are a few touches of humor. All in all, good shallow entertainment and probably a delight for horror lovers.

My score: 7 (out of 10)

Money: the root of all evil

Author: gomi28 from utah
30 June 2002

Although the first 2 were under budget and the SFX were very bad, they followed the original story. Hellraiser and Hellbound were not about nail-biting edge of your seat gags and one-liners, it was about presenting a concept most people are exposed to but do not think of. We are taught that Heaven is where we all want to go to, and Hell is bad, but what if it were switched and hell is what we strived for. Barker was trying to make a twist on Puritian belifes as he feels trapped or banished from "regular" society as can also be seen in "Nightbreed". In Hellraiser, only those that make an attempt will be blessed with "an experience beyond limits... pain and pleasure, indivisible." It isn't about mass distruction and death, it is about people comming to terms with what awaits us after this world.

Even on a tight budget the "real" hellraisers were successful, so a big company, Paramount, thought "Why can't we make $$ off of this thing". So this 3rd attempt had a larger budget and threw a bunch of special effects in, found some witty one-line writers, used Doug Bradley and the box, but never bothered to read anything Clive Barker did. Just because Doug Bradley is Pinhead doesn't mean they know what they are doing. They took a good story and made it into a generic slasher movie. The cenobites didn't even have the corpse like blue skin signifying lack of blood.

It started out OK, but in the middle they made some idiotic decisions: Random people become cenobites (you have to strive to become a cenobite, Frank and Julia never were), these cenobites have CDs and cameras in their heads??!?! WHAT THE HELL??!?!

If you like "Nightmare on Elm Street" and have no clue what the real Hellraiser stories (as in before the movies were even thought of, like in the comic books) this might be good for you, as it wasn't lacking in Hollywood fluff, but for anyone that knows who Grizlard was, this was a disapointing derailment of a good concept.

OK

Author: ctomvelu from usa
3 November 2003

It is clear that by the third movie Pinhead was being refashioned as a new Freddy Kruegger or Jason or Michael Meyers, and that the series could not sustain the morbid atmosphere of the first two flicks. Hence, we have a much more commercial film, with an all-out monster showdown at the end and some new cenobites that seem to have come straight off of Elm Street. No harm, no foul. Entertaining in a highly mindless way. The women are all sexy in an early 90s way. Interestingly enough, HELLRAISER III is the only one of the series I own on tape. Don't ask me why. I probably picked it up for $3 somewhere. The series has since run out of gas and been consigned to straight-to-video. As big a fan as I am of horror films and franchises, I don't think I have seen the last two or three in this series. I am also still holding off on LEPRECHAUN IN THE HOOD. And PUPPETMASTER IN SPACE. I still can't believe I rented JASON X. My eyes still haven't recovered.

Weakest of the trilogy but still decent enough.

Author: R_Eardley from United Kingdom
24 December 2016

Hellraiser III Hell on Earth is a decent sequel mainly because of the story it presents everything else is meh. Now this movie does miss the dark creepy atmosphere the first two had which is one of the big things I loved from the first two however with this movie it has more of a eighties slasher feel to it which I liked with Pinhead being all over this film but I still however missed the dark Gothic feel of the first two. Now the story was pretty unique and different and am glad they didn't decide to do the person comes back from hell gimmick which would have got old quick. The story however involves a news reporter Joanne 'Joey' Summerskill played by Terry Farrell (who turned in a surprisingly great performance) investigating Pinhead played by Doug Bradley (who was just as great as he has been in the other film)and the Cenobites and must send them back to hell. Overall I would check this one out and give it a shot because its extremely underrated just don't go in expecting anything like the first two and also if your looking for a lot more Pinhead and cenobites these movie is easily for you.

There's still some decent scenes, a fleeting vestige of "that ol' Hellraiser magic," Pinhead is in decent form, and if nothing else, it's a lot better than most in the genre

Author: recognizablethemes
8 October 2016

Hellraiser III starts with a new cast. Joey (Terry Farrell) is a reporter trying to get her break when she stumbles upon the aftermath of an attack from one of the cubes that keeps serving as the catalyst to all the films. Joey befriends Terri (Paula Marshall), the woman who brought in the victim of the cube, a typical punk girl on the surface, but Joey knows there is more going on. Meanwhile, Terri's ex-boyfriend, and owner of the nightclub The Boiler Room, J.P. Monroe (Kevin Barnhardt) acquires a totem that houses the body of Pinhead (Doug Bradley), a body that becomes reanimated after coming into contact with blood.The film boasts another interesting set of female characters. Joey and Terri are two women in very different places who are still able to connect. Joey's confidence and drive contrasts Terri's aimless direction in life and the feeling that she's an undesirable and incompetent.Terry Farrell was a couple years away from fame and the lust of sci-fi nerds everywhere thanks to her role in Star Trek: Deep Space NineIn spite of these flaws, the film does have a few serious merits. The visuals and direction are a good step up from Hellbound and there are a number of compelling sequences from a cinematic perspective

better then part 2 due the church scene

Author: trashgang from Midian
22 September 2016

First of all, be sure to see the full uncut version of 96 minutes, mostly you will find the cut version of 91 minutes or TV version clocking in at 89 minutes!

3 year after part 2 the franchise was back. Nothing to do with previous parts from now on every entry stood on it's own. Of course Kirsty (Ashley Lawrence) was back for a moment to lay a link to other parts but that's all. Away from the UK up to New York. An owner of a Goth club the Boiler Room bought a statue that delivers pain. A journalist witnesses the arrival of a victim at a hospital full of chains and his head explode. Off she goes with a Goth chick to see what is going on. Soon they discover the Channard archive.

It takes a while before pinhead comes in. The thing they did was putting pinhead in lighting so the mystery and atmosphere of part 1 is gone, the same happened with Freddy Kruger remember. But they were clever enough to actually tell the story of Captain Elliot Spencer (Bradley) who becomes pinhead as we know. So we have the story taking place in NY and the story taking place at WW 1.

To see the horrors of pinhead you have to wait an hour, but once he enters the gore do comes in. Not that bad after all this entry. If you are searching for the full uncut the thing added is more blah blah done by Captain Spencer and some gore at the trenches. Further you go deeper into conversations. It's also the first hellraiser with nudity. For me better than part 2 and pinhead at his best at the church. Motorhead was also used in the score.

Gore 1,5/5 Nudity 0,5/5 Effects 2,5/5 Story 3/5 Comedy 0/5

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth" The film unfolds as intelligently as it can. Good Adult Horror

Author: rennie koopa (searching-97445) from United Kingdom
25 January 2016

Directed by Anthony Hickox and written by Peter Atkins, the film unfolds as intelligently as it can, under the circumstances. One piece de resistance has Pinhead dispatching every single patron of a crowded rock club, with weapons including flying, razor-sharp CD's. Another finds Joey, in one of the bizarre dream sequences that link this film to the "Nightmare on Elm Street" ethos, meeting Pinhead's nice-guy alter ego and being given the worst possible news: that the gateway to hell is somewhere in her apartment.

A horror film that starts off in an art gallery deserves at least a little credit for upward mobility. And "Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth" is also commendable for helping to usher in the age of high-tech horror, with computer-generated special effects that bespeak a definite sophistication. That's not to say that a head isn't blown to bits 10 minutes into the story. But it does at least help make sense of this series and its considerable success.

Pinhead's refined diction helps make him of interest to a more discerning audience, as does his way of expressing himself. "There is a secret sound at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh," he tells the pert television reporter Joey Summerskill (Terry Farrell). "I'm here to turn up the volume." At first encased in a statue that is purchased by the vain, greedy rock club owner J. P. Monroe (Kevin Bernhardt), Pinhead eventually breaks free and fights a couple of feisty heroines. Also in the film, along with the pretty and dauntless Ms. Farrell, is Paula Marshall, who looks and dresses like a junior Cher, and who knows her way around a pair of brass knuckles.

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth is an entertaining picture

Author: searching-13860 from United Kingdom
22 January 2016

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth takes place in the city streets, which are filled with apocalyptic imagery: crashed cars, fire, explosions. With this moment, the series has transitioned from the small-scale, intimate horror of Barker's original film to a more expansive, apocalyptic vision of Hell on Earth (as the title of this second sequel suggests). The new Cenobites come complete with catchphrases ('That's a wrap', Doc/the cameraman Cenobite asserts after killing a number of police officers), and in retrospect it's easy to see why Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth alienated some of the fans of the first two films, but it doesn't deserve the negative attention it deserves to be re evaluated and Hellraiser:Bloodline.The climax of Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth leads to a battle of wills between Spencer and Pinhead which employs some ugly-looking CGI morphing effects and might make the viewer think of the climactic 'mind battle' between telepathic brothers Darryl Revok (Michael Ironside) and Cameron Vale (Stephen Lack) in David Cronenberg's Scanners (1981). The film's final scenes contain what perhaps are some of its strongest ideas. After the threat represented by Pinhead and his Cenobites has been quashed, Joey wanders through the devastated city landscape and buries the Lament Configuration in some wet cement on a building site. Via a montage, we are shown a new building being constructed around the site where the puzzle box is buried – and outside this new building is a strange, esoteric statue, whilst inside the architectural style of the building has taken on the aesthetic of the puzzle box itself. There's a hint here of an exploration of the relationships between occultism and architecture – of the kind highlighted in the myths surrounding the architecture of Nicholas Hawksmoor. A classic film with an intriguing story ans good acting, it is well above the usual standards of the genre.