IMDb > Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
Page 3 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

What began in Hell, will end on Earth...

Author: Amityville15 from England
19 July 2014

Joey Summerskill is an ambitious TV reporter whose life is changed forever when she witnesses the horrific death of a tormented teenage boy, torn apart by chains. Determined to find the truth behind this gruesome event, she discovers the lament Configuration Box which opens the door to the Cenobites' demonic world of pleasure and pain. Once again Pinhead walks the earth, creating a new army of Cenobites from the transmuted flesh of his victims and his one desire is to reclaim the box and free himself from the powers of hell.

This film starred: Terry Farrell, Doug Bradley & Kevin Bernhardt.

Hellraiser 3 is not the worst from the first 5 Hellraiser films I have seen, because number 4 is. However this one isn't great. The plot was good and if executed well I think this could have been a good movie, however some of the scenes in this movie were sloppy and wrong. I liked the idea of the soldier who became Pinhead finding Joey and telling him to lead Pinhead to him were he has power, but again this was a scene that I found kind of messed up and not living up to it's potential. Not really recommended but watch if you want to complete the trilogy because the sequels that follow this one are a waste of time and cheap sin offs.

*/***** Very poor.

What the...???

Author: candycat301 from United States
7 August 2012

This move was a HUGE disappointment. "Even hell has rules", but none of the rules established in I and II were continued into the third installment of this movie. For instance, only those individuals with the right "desires" (such as carnal, sadism, etc.)and who managed to open the box were taken by the Cenobites into hell. Innocents were not to be touched. However, in this movie, Pinhead kills dozens of innocent people who never touched the box, and several of those victims were turned into Cenobites who later go after the heroine. Huh???? Even Frank and Julia were not turned into Cenobites and they were both evil! This movie was not worth the time I spent watching it.

Above average slasher flick, at best...

Author: silent_rob from Canada
24 August 2002

The third installment of the Hellraiser series deviates from the first two in the worst possible way. It turns the involving mythology, story, and innovation of the first two into a slightly above-average slasher flick. The only reason it's above average, though, is due to the elements of the original that remain (Pinhead being the most obvious, though he himself almost falls prey to becoming a catchphrase wielding shadow of his former self). But other than that it's a basic genre-exercise.

When others point out this movie's "strengths," they point out its strengths as a slasher flick or self-parodying sequel (a fate that many horror franchises suffer from). This is greatly opposed to the first two of the series, which could actually stand on their own as strong *movies* (though the second one got somewhat confused by the end), not just horror/slasher flicks.

Decent.

Author: James Croxton from United States
2 May 2014

The introduction of some corny-looking cenobites, liven this bleak film up just enough to call it decent.

The plot for this film was rather uninteresting in the sense that no excessive action takes place. The idea of Pinhead and his gash being sent to Earth on a quest to take it over is a storyline that has been used for countless movies involving villains.

I guess it would be safe to say that this film hardly compares to any of the other installments when it comes to the characters, and also the story itself.

Easily one of the worst installments in a franchise that you'd think would be hard to tarnish.

Departure From the Novel Leads To This...

Author: gavin6942 from United States
11 January 2007

A reporter (Terry Farrell) is looking for the big story and finds it at The Boiler Room, a popular club where a young woman witnessed someone die in a very painful manner. Also, the reporter has dreams of her father, who died in Vietnam. And the origin of Pinhead!

Some people consider this one the best in the series. I am not one of those people. While there are many great aspects of this movie, the primitive special effects seem to subtract from the overall story. And continuing in the Hellraiser tradition, many things simply do not make sense. Who opened the art store? Where did the statue come from? Why does the statue not attack JP at first, but will later on?

As I say, the special effects are primitive. And I do not mind that, because at least they put in a solid offering. But some things just seem like they could have been done better. In Hellraiser parts 1 and 2, there was no problem creating a person without skin that looked creepy. We see another example in this film, but they also get "slurped" into a statue and this is very unconvincing. In 1992! The effects of the original "Nightmare on Elm Street" blow this out of the water. Others have complained about the cenobites looking like Borg rejects, and that is a fair point -- this film goes above and beyond in incorporating terrible ideas into cenobite bodies.

Terry Farrell does a fine job as the lead. She is a strong heroine, and unlike your typical horror woman, she has more brains than body. You might recognize Farrell as a character from the greatest sitcom on television in recent years, "Becker".

The plot is respectable. There really was no more story to tell about the Cotton family at this point. Moving on to show what lengths evil will go to in order to return to Earth was a good change. And brought to us by Peter Atkins (also the writer of part 4) and Anthony Hickox (who directed the incredible "Waxwork" films).

I do not care for the change in direction the films take from here, though, regarding the cenobites. I understand after explaining Pinhead's origin (something I am very thankful for) they opened the door for more cenobites, but this film and the fourth introduce some of the lamest characters with the lamest one-liners. The subplot of the father is okay, but also makes the Hellraiser mythology even more complex than it is... now we have Hell, Earth, the mind, who can and cannot touch the Lament Configuration... oy vey.

Obviously when a horror series gets going, the sequels are not going to be what the original was. You get paler and paler copies of the original (like "Multiplicity"). But "Hellraiser", unlike "Leprechaun", at least kept the quality respectable through part four... and some (though not myself) would say even up to part six. Check this one out to clear up some mysteries, then catch part four to get the whole story.

More cenobite silliness.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
2 December 2006

The third entry in the Hellraiser series shows a distinct change in approach, aiming itself squarely at the teen market rather than at the 'serious horror fan'. Pinhead returns once again, dishing out pain and misery to all who cross his path. It is up to intrepid reporter Joey Summerskill (Terry Farrell) to try and send the spiky-bonced monster (and his legion of all-new 'cool' cenobites) back to Hell.

Anthony Hickox, director of straight-to-video horrors such as Waxworks and Sundown:Vampires in Retreat, eschews the rather serious and dark tone of Clive Barker's original movie, opting instead to go with a rather more accessible plot that itself takes a back seat to the special effects. This film is all about the visuals and Hickox loads the film with some very effective (and some not-so-quite effective) makeup and optical FX. And in true early-90s fashion, the action is accompanied by a pretty awful 'metal' soundtrack.

Fans of the first two films may not like the new direction the film takes, but those who found Barker's vision rather too twisted in the first place won't be overly offended. I enjoyed the movie for what it was—a big dollop of B-movie excess—and in that respect, I think Hickox has done a pretty good job. It won't win any awards, but you'll have fun while it lasts.

One of the best in the genre

Author: slayrrr666 (slayrrr666@yahoo.com) from Los Angeles, Ca
7 April 2006

"Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth" is one of the best entries in the series.

**SPOILERS**

Joey Summerskill, (Terry Farrell) a struggling reporter, finds a great new scoop on a story about a dangerous new nightclub run by the sleazy J.P. Monroe, (Kevin Bernhardt) called The Boiler Room. As she talks to his girlfriend Terri, (Paula Marshall) about the kind of club he runs, it gradually becomes apparent that J.P. is involved in some sort of supernatural dealings. Terri thinks it's due to a new sculpture he just bought, which unknowingly contains the trapped Pinhead, (Doug Bradley) and Joey decides to investigate it against her wishes. When Pinhead gets released from the statue, Joey has to stop him from unleashing the gates of hell.

The Good News: I really enjoyed this one a lot more than several of the others in the series. The fact that this one goes back to the roots of Pinhead and explores how he came into being was great appreciated and satisfactorily delivered. It was exciting to see the back-story, and by explaining it in more detail than before, we learn a lot more about Pinhead was nice to see. It solves some answers many may have about Pinhead and his past. Also, I feel as though he gets in so many classic lines that it should be watched mainly for the great dialog he gets to say. Not exactly jokes, but it''s the same idea. In this one, we get far more deaths than in any of the other films. There's a ton of deaths in here, and they all get at least brutal deaths. Besides having a head explode and chains hooked into the body, as is usual in the series, we get a very violent and graphic skin-peeling, a hole punched into a head, and an ice-chard shoved into a person's mouth, among other great deaths. Most of them come from one of the movie's highlights: an attack on a crowded night-club. It has to be seen to believed with what goes on in that scene, as bodies drop fast and furious, and most of the deaths are pretty clever while all of them are violent and graphic. The fact that it lasts for so long is another reason why this scene works, as a short, simple scene wouldn't have done it justice. The last half of the movie is a nicely executed series of action set-pieces, starting with the night-club and carrying on until the end of the movie. Chases, kills, explosions, and more come along at a fast and furious pace, just like the rest of the film. Right off the bat, we get the events that set the rest into motion, and it never stops after that. It's quite nice to see a film just never let up from the moment go, and this one does it quite nicely. I could say more, but that would be a big spoiler, so just see this one.

The Bad News: Some hardcore fans may not like the fact that Pinhead gets so much screen-time and gets in more lines in here than others, but that could be it's only fault. I really liked this one.

The Final Verdict: There really isn't much to not like in this one.. Pinhead gets the screen-time many of the fans wanted, and it culminates in a gory, action-packed film. Recommended to all Hellraiser fans, and those that like a little more action in their films, while still keeping it firmly grounded in horror.

Rated R: Graphic Violence, Graphic Language, Brief Nudity, a sex scene and mild drug use

This movie is retarded to say at best.

Author: Nick Damian from Toronto, Ontario
4 November 2002

The best compliment that I can give this movie is that the special effects were halfway decent and that the girls looked hot.

This movie is retarded and stupid at best and downright idiotic and horrible.

The only horror and fear that I got from this film is that I turned on the screen and spent some time watching this. I turned it off 3 times and still was unable to finish watching it.

SCARY? NOOOOO!! STUPID-YESSSS!!!

If stupidity and lack of story was at the top of the list, I would give it a 10, however they are not, so I will give this movie a **1**...simply to credit the efforts of people who did not any main creative power for this film.

I believe that cast and crew aside of the DIRECTOR and PRODUCER have worked hard and deserved a paycheck...and this is where my compliment goes to...the cast and crew for putting their time and effort to make this work. (Camera crew, lighting, makeup, gaffers, electricians, casting, transportation, craft service,painters, set decorators, location scouts, maintenance, hair and makeup....but NOT the DIRECTOR or PRODUCER...no FRIGGEN way.)

The director should not be paid, nor should the producers. Infact, I strongly believe that they should be paying ME. YES, I should be paid for watching this!!! Why not? This was outragiously boring and stupid; and I felt cheated within the first 10 minutes or so.

>>>>My over all comment....BAD...VERY BAD...VERY VERY BAD...oh yeah...and STUPID!!!

One of the best in the Hellraiser series!

Author: Prolox from Canada
20 January 2005

HELLRAISER III: HELL ON EARTH is easily one of the series best entries! True this sequel really wasn't needed, much less necessary, since it's story was pretty much all told & finished with HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER II, but what is here makes for a highly enjoyable entry. Many fans of the series have scoffed at this entry, since it is quiet different in tone & execution from that of the first two films, but I found the new direction in terms of it's story & execution to be a breath of fresh air & at least made it not only different than most sequels, done to popular horror franchises, but also thankfully refrains itself from merely treading the same old grounds as it's predecessors. What's interesting is how the film doesn't create new cenobites or new hells as one would have thought, another sequel might explore, especially since all the villains that populated the first two were all dead by HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER II's end, but rather just expands on the originals story, relocating it from Britain to New York City (Although it is never explained why the forces of darkness chose this location, rather than staying where they were). The acting is strong here & the characters were well thought out & interesting. The major stand out is the character of J.P. MONROE, who bears a strong resemblance to the character of Frank in the first two films. A man who's sexual lusts knows no bounds, or can ever be satisfied & who is quiet a spiteful character (he even betrayed & murdered his own parents in order to obtain his vast wealth) in fact he even utters a line Frank uttered in the original film: "Come To Daddy" as he tries to lure his naive teenage girlfriend into his clutches, to use her as a intended sacrifice to Pinhead. Speaking of Pinhead, he takes centre stage here & is shown quiet a bit, wherein the first two entries saw his appearances limned along with his followers. With the battle between him, Joey & Pinhead's good side, Elliot Spencer, being the centrepiece of the film, which makes HELLRAISER III: HELL ON EARTH, a much more dualistic film than the previous entries. I really enjoyed Bradley's performance here, it's easily one of his best portrayals of Pinhead yet. You can tell he is really having a fun time in the role. He delivers his sadistic one liners with such unholy relish & sadistic glee that one almost considers it a shame, how badly his character was misused, in a series of increasingly mediocre sequels that were to follow. The direction by ANTHONY HICKOX is really good, as he is able to deliver several cool shots & captures the carnage that Pinhead & his cenobites unleash at all the right angles. The kills are cool & the gore is nice & plentiful & while Randy Miller's score is really good (We also get some of Christopher Young's musical cues from the first two films as well) a rock soundtrack mostly dominates the film, with MOTORHEADS "HELLRAISER" rock song being a nice fit (Rocker OZZY OSBOURNE also assists with some of the music). Another thing that a lot of fans didn't like was the Cenobite creations, calling them silly, I disagree, I thought how they were created was interesting, while it does disappointingly stray away from the chain embedded in flesh like creations of the first two, each cenobite is cleverly fashioned, based on their human indulgence & loves in life, such as a bartender who mixed & lit cocktails is turned into a fire breathing coenobite, a character who loved smoking has cigarettes lodged in her hands & throat, a cameraman has a camera turned weapon lodged in his head etc. The box itself here is no longer used as a key to enter into the dark beyond, but rather serves (this time) as more of a crucifix that would be used to ward off a vampire, as Pinhead seeks to destroy it, an act that will leave him free to terrorize mankind for all eternity. The film's budget is certainly bigger, not only is the picture slicker looking, but also featured plenty of good chase scenes & explosions. Thankfully the film doesn't make the mistake of it's predecessor, by humanizing Pinhead & going to deep into a back story. While does it does not ignore what happened in HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER II, I consider it a feather in this film's cap, that it was able to take that idea (which I never liked by the way, I felt it cheapened the character & liked it best when in the original film, we assumed he was a demon that had guarded & walked up & down hell for centuries) & make it work.

All in all, I highly recommend HELLRAISER III, not only does it expand on the HELLRAISER mytho's, it takes this entry in a much fresher direction & while that could so easily have spelled disaster for the film, the great news is, it doesn't hinder the franchise at all. HELLRAISER III: HELL ON EARTH is just a fun, popcorn monster movie, delivering plenty of great stunts, carnage, fun characters, interesting villains & most of the series trademarks to make fans happy. ASHLEY LAURENCE has a cameo appearance as Kirsty. Followed by HELLRAISER: BLOODLINE

**** stars

It's rare when I can say it, but this was abysmal.

Author: PlayerSS from North Carolina
2 June 2006

I just went back and watched first two before this one. What was Doug Bradley thinking when he signed on to put Pinhead through this? There are quite a lot of things wrong with this movie.

First off Pinhead is way to "humanized" in this one. He talks a lot which makes him more human and less demon from Hell. I also didn't like how it wasn't really Pinhead doing all the killings. It was just a shell of Spencer's former evil manifested on earth. I hated that. I couldn't believe it when it pointlessly started laughing during the club scene as well. Which brings me to my next points.

The movie was way to urban to be a Hellraiser movie. I didn't like it that it took place in a club a lot and in the city. Plus Pinhead and the cenobites were exposed to way to many people. What ever happened to the only people seeing them was the people that figured out the box? That took away a lot of mystery of them.

Next is all the pointless scenes of gore. I'm a big fan of gore, but the gore meant completely nothing in the movie as compared to the last ones. The club scene where Pinhead out of no where just kills a bunch of people is a shame.

They tried so hard to make Pinhead the anti-hero villain like Jason or Freddy eventually became, but by this time nobody was asking him to be the anti-hero. This was only the third movie. I didn't feel for anybody in the movie and they tried desperately to make people care about Pinhead for some reason.

Next up is the freakin cheesy new Cenobites. I'm sorry, but a fat bartender Cenobite isn't going to replace butterball Cenobite. WTF was up with the camera Cenobite and his one liners? I also had to chuckle at the CD Cenobite.

The pay off to the Spencer/Pinhead separation was done decent, but Spencer and Pinhead being separated really wasn't needed in the first place. Oh well it's rule that classic horror series must be turned into jokes.

In the end this movie was completely abysmal. Which there's not many movies that earn that title from me. Pinhead was elevated to the central character and humanized a lot, because of all the lines he had and his actions. The desperate attempt at making Pinhead the anti-hero villain didn't work for me.

The pay off to the Spencer/Pinhead separation was done decent, but Spencer and Pinhead being separated really wasn't needed in the first place. Part 4 actually seems good in comparison.