IMDb > Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
Page 3 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

OK

Author: ctomvelu from usa
3 November 2003

It is clear that by the third movie Pinhead was being refashioned as a new Freddy Kruegger or Jason or Michael Meyers, and that the series could not sustain the morbid atmosphere of the first two flicks. Hence, we have a much more commercial film, with an all-out monster showdown at the end and some new cenobites that seem to have come straight off of Elm Street. No harm, no foul. Entertaining in a highly mindless way. The women are all sexy in an early 90s way. Interestingly enough, HELLRAISER III is the only one of the series I own on tape. Don't ask me why. I probably picked it up for $3 somewhere. The series has since run out of gas and been consigned to straight-to-video. As big a fan as I am of horror films and franchises, I don't think I have seen the last two or three in this series. I am also still holding off on LEPRECHAUN IN THE HOOD. And PUPPETMASTER IN SPACE. I still can't believe I rented JASON X. My eyes still haven't recovered.

Pinhead he is undoubtedly the star of the show. it finally releases Pinhead into our world to cause Hell on Earth

Author: Chris Wells from United Kingdom
24 February 2016

Doug Bradley is absolutely mesmerising in the role! He's sneering, charismatic, deceitful, manipulative yet playful with the character. The one thing he doesn't do is turn Pinhead into a parody like Freddy Krueger became in the later Elm Street movies. He expertly walks the line being a terrifying monster whilst delivering cutting one liners with confidence and not damaging the brand or heritage in the process.

The movie finally releases Pinhead into our world which is a fascinating idea the embodiment of Hell being seen by the general population and not just someone who opens the lament configuration box.

Hell on Earth (the series' first US production) would also mark the beginning of the Hellraiser's relationship with Dimension Films, as opposed to previous producers New World Pictures. Still a strong sequel both Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) & Bloodline (1996) 'are exceptional sequels to the first 2 classics.

8/10 'We'll tear your soul apart!

Hell On Earth is not the movie many Hellraiser fans portray it to be. Pinhead brings Hell On Earth To New York

Author: tonyband from New York
2 February 2016

Vilified by many as the beginning of the end as far as the Hellraiser series is concerned, Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth is anything but.

This film is what Hellbound: Hellraiser II is to the original, a progression, a sense of a series in evolution. It continues what Hellbound began and doesn't hold back for one second. After Hellraiser we screamed for more Pinhead and his Cenobite army, and after Hellbound we again wanted more Pinhead and his return to the sequel; now Hell On Earth brings Pinhead back as well as increasing his much wanted screen time in a film which has more action than an Arnie/stallone movie! This is essentially what this movie boils down to, and why I like it so much, the action it has. From the increased chaos on the streets of New York to the complete carnage in a seedy Night Club, this installment has it. It has the quality that so many horror fans long for in their favourite horror movies, which most of the time they lack; action and a distinct amount of pace to go with it.

Hellbound had its share of high-intensity scenes, however this film also has them and despite Hellbound and Hell On Earth not being a shade on "Hellraiser" in terms of imagery, visual impact, story and raw quality, Hell On Earth is a decent movie, which holds it's own as far as entertainment value is concerned. Like in its predecessor, Hell On Earth again takes Pinhead's character to new levels and we learn more still about what he is and who he used to be. Elliot Spencer, Pinhead's past self, actually comes into the story in a big way, giving us a most interesting film packed full of hair raising events and unusual but intriguing Cenobites to watch.

Hell On Earth is not the movie many Hellraiser fans portray it to be. It is instead another positive accomplishment as far as a good sequel is concerned, so again I highly recommend.

Now for my personal favourite, Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth.

Author: John Ross from United Kingdom
26 January 2016

think a Hellraiser movie should be about the Cenobites and that's what this movie does it finally releases Pinhead into our world which is a fascinating idea the embodiment of Hell being seen by the general population and not just someone who opens his forbidden box. If you haven't seen this movie yet you really should, this to me is a very competitive film as my favourite in the Hellraiser series.Hell on Earth is one of the most fun entries in the series. For fans who simply want to watch Pinhead and the Cenobites cause chaos on Earth, then director Anthony Hickox delivers on that front. Mythology is at the forefront here, An entertaining horror extravaganza.

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth" The film unfolds as intelligently as it can. Good Adult Horror

Author: rennie koopa (searching-97445) from United Kingdom
25 January 2016

Directed by Anthony Hickox and written by Peter Atkins, the film unfolds as intelligently as it can, under the circumstances. One piece de resistance has Pinhead dispatching every single patron of a crowded rock club, with weapons including flying, razor-sharp CD's. Another finds Joey, in one of the bizarre dream sequences that link this film to the "Nightmare on Elm Street" ethos, meeting Pinhead's nice-guy alter ego and being given the worst possible news: that the gateway to hell is somewhere in her apartment.

A horror film that starts off in an art gallery deserves at least a little credit for upward mobility. And "Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth" is also commendable for helping to usher in the age of high-tech horror, with computer-generated special effects that bespeak a definite sophistication. That's not to say that a head isn't blown to bits 10 minutes into the story. But it does at least help make sense of this series and its considerable success.

Pinhead's refined diction helps make him of interest to a more discerning audience, as does his way of expressing himself. "There is a secret sound at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh," he tells the pert television reporter Joey Summerskill (Terry Farrell). "I'm here to turn up the volume." At first encased in a statue that is purchased by the vain, greedy rock club owner J. P. Monroe (Kevin Bernhardt), Pinhead eventually breaks free and fights a couple of feisty heroines. Also in the film, along with the pretty and dauntless Ms. Farrell, is Paula Marshall, who looks and dresses like a junior Cher, and who knows her way around a pair of brass knuckles.

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth is an entertaining picture

Author: searching-13860 from United Kingdom
22 January 2016

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth takes place in the city streets, which are filled with apocalyptic imagery: crashed cars, fire, explosions. With this moment, the series has transitioned from the small-scale, intimate horror of Barker's original film to a more expansive, apocalyptic vision of Hell on Earth (as the title of this second sequel suggests). The new Cenobites come complete with catchphrases ('That's a wrap', Doc/the cameraman Cenobite asserts after killing a number of police officers), and in retrospect it's easy to see why Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth alienated some of the fans of the first two films, but it doesn't deserve the negative attention it deserves to be re evaluated and Hellraiser:Bloodline.The climax of Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth leads to a battle of wills between Spencer and Pinhead which employs some ugly-looking CGI morphing effects and might make the viewer think of the climactic 'mind battle' between telepathic brothers Darryl Revok (Michael Ironside) and Cameron Vale (Stephen Lack) in David Cronenberg's Scanners (1981). The film's final scenes contain what perhaps are some of its strongest ideas. After the threat represented by Pinhead and his Cenobites has been quashed, Joey wanders through the devastated city landscape and buries the Lament Configuration in some wet cement on a building site. Via a montage, we are shown a new building being constructed around the site where the puzzle box is buried – and outside this new building is a strange, esoteric statue, whilst inside the architectural style of the building has taken on the aesthetic of the puzzle box itself. There's a hint here of an exploration of the relationships between occultism and architecture – of the kind highlighted in the myths surrounding the architecture of Nicholas Hawksmoor. A classic film with an intriguing story ans good acting, it is well above the usual standards of the genre.

Decent.

Author: James Croxton from United States
2 May 2014

The introduction of some corny-looking cenobites, liven this bleak film up just enough to call it decent.

The plot for this film was rather uninteresting in the sense that no excessive action takes place. The idea of Pinhead and his gash being sent to Earth on a quest to take it over is a storyline that has been used for countless movies involving villains.

I guess it would be safe to say that this film hardly compares to any of the other installments when it comes to the characters, and also the story itself.

Easily one of the worst installments in a franchise that you'd think would be hard to tarnish.

Departure From the Novel Leads To This...

Author: gavin6942 from United States
11 January 2007

A reporter (Terry Farrell) is looking for the big story and finds it at The Boiler Room, a popular club where a young woman witnessed someone die in a very painful manner. Also, the reporter has dreams of her father, who died in Vietnam. And the origin of Pinhead!

Some people consider this one the best in the series. I am not one of those people. While there are many great aspects of this movie, the primitive special effects seem to subtract from the overall story. And continuing in the Hellraiser tradition, many things simply do not make sense. Who opened the art store? Where did the statue come from? Why does the statue not attack JP at first, but will later on?

As I say, the special effects are primitive. And I do not mind that, because at least they put in a solid offering. But some things just seem like they could have been done better. In Hellraiser parts 1 and 2, there was no problem creating a person without skin that looked creepy. We see another example in this film, but they also get "slurped" into a statue and this is very unconvincing. In 1992! The effects of the original "Nightmare on Elm Street" blow this out of the water. Others have complained about the cenobites looking like Borg rejects, and that is a fair point -- this film goes above and beyond in incorporating terrible ideas into cenobite bodies.

Terry Farrell does a fine job as the lead. She is a strong heroine, and unlike your typical horror woman, she has more brains than body. You might recognize Farrell as a character from the greatest sitcom on television in recent years, "Becker".

The plot is respectable. There really was no more story to tell about the Cotton family at this point. Moving on to show what lengths evil will go to in order to return to Earth was a good change. And brought to us by Peter Atkins (also the writer of part 4) and Anthony Hickox (who directed the incredible "Waxwork" films).

I do not care for the change in direction the films take from here, though, regarding the cenobites. I understand after explaining Pinhead's origin (something I am very thankful for) they opened the door for more cenobites, but this film and the fourth introduce some of the lamest characters with the lamest one-liners. The subplot of the father is okay, but also makes the Hellraiser mythology even more complex than it is... now we have Hell, Earth, the mind, who can and cannot touch the Lament Configuration... oy vey.

Obviously when a horror series gets going, the sequels are not going to be what the original was. You get paler and paler copies of the original (like "Multiplicity"). But "Hellraiser", unlike "Leprechaun", at least kept the quality respectable through part four... and some (though not myself) would say even up to part six. Check this one out to clear up some mysteries, then catch part four to get the whole story.

More cenobite silliness.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
2 December 2006

The third entry in the Hellraiser series shows a distinct change in approach, aiming itself squarely at the teen market rather than at the 'serious horror fan'. Pinhead returns once again, dishing out pain and misery to all who cross his path. It is up to intrepid reporter Joey Summerskill (Terry Farrell) to try and send the spiky-bonced monster (and his legion of all-new 'cool' cenobites) back to Hell.

Anthony Hickox, director of straight-to-video horrors such as Waxworks and Sundown:Vampires in Retreat, eschews the rather serious and dark tone of Clive Barker's original movie, opting instead to go with a rather more accessible plot that itself takes a back seat to the special effects. This film is all about the visuals and Hickox loads the film with some very effective (and some not-so-quite effective) makeup and optical FX. And in true early-90s fashion, the action is accompanied by a pretty awful 'metal' soundtrack.

Fans of the first two films may not like the new direction the film takes, but those who found Barker's vision rather too twisted in the first place won't be overly offended. I enjoyed the movie for what it was—a big dollop of B-movie excess—and in that respect, I think Hickox has done a pretty good job. It won't win any awards, but you'll have fun while it lasts.

Pinhead...Freddy Krueger style!

Author: Bozo
20 February 2008

A lot of people badmouth this movie because it was different than the first 2. I Think it was better actually. I liked Pinhead in this movie, he seemed more alive. Also, new characters, which was a very nice change of things from the first two. We have a new storyline here as well, which is very well done and I think it outdoes that of the first 2 movies. We also get a new set of Cenobites here. They are very interesting, and a nice change of pace from the same 3 cenobites in the first 2 movies. Except the one new cenobite in the 2nd movie (won't mention name to prevent the use of spoilers). Fans of the Nightmare series will love this, and die-hard Pinhead fans will love this as well. There's something for everyone. I give this 9/10. Seriously, you will like it.