IMDb > Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
Page 11 of 17: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Coffee with Pinhead.

Author: Elswet from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
13 September 2004

This was the definitive movie in the Hellraiser series in that it defined Pinhead as the ultimate nemesis whereas before, Frank held that role.

Many critics have stated that this movie was totally unnecessary within the series, but I beg to differ. It explained who and what Pinhead was, introduced you to his character in a much more satisfying way, and allowed the viewer to develop a bond with his charismatic persona; both as human and as demon.

These factors are quite necessary if this series is to continue. Terry Farrel and Paula Marshall (of Warlock: The Armageddon and Steve Martin's surprise 2004 summer hit "Cheaper By The Dozen") both contributed their best work (Paula Marshall was just hitting the big screen), rendering solid performances.

This movie will be somewhat of a disappointment for splatter fans as it is not the bloodiest of the line. While this may not be the bloodiest (but it is quite bloody) or most action-filled installment, it is most necessary in following the story line and flow of the gruesome nightmare journey into Hell that is Hellraiser.

It rates an 8.2/10 from...

the Fiend :.

Entertaining and well-made

Author: StormSworder from United Kingdom
23 May 2005

One of the thing which keeps this series above most of the Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday 13th sequels is that each new Hellraiser film has a completely new storyline.

This time Pinhead is trapped within a pillar of souls, but is released thanks to the actions of a sex-crazed nightclub owner. He becomes the central villain as he is let loose upon the city (along with the people he turns into inventively-designed Cenobites). However, a reporter (who witnessed someone being torn apart by chains and is determined to find out what happened) is guided by the ghost of Elliot Spencer, Pinhead's former self who has been released from his demonic side.

All in all, this is an inventive and well-made sequel, probably one of the best of the Hellraiser series.

Hellraiser III is by far the best of the series so far. It is the first one that has any decent acting (although still not great), good direction, and even a fairly respectable story.

Author: Michael DeZubiria (wppispam2013@gmail.com) from Luoyang, China
8 November 2000

Pinhead has returned, and again he wants to destroy that pesky puzzle box, the door to Hell, so that he will never have to go back. His return to the world of the living is fascinatingly done with an updated version of that horrific rotating pillar that we're all so familiar with by this point. Kevin Bernhardt plays J.P. Monroe, an arrogant night club owner (the `Boiler Room') who is at first persuaded by Pinhead (still trapped in the stone pillar) to help him come fully back to life in the traditional Hellraiser manner. As is to be expected, not everything goes perfectly as planned, and the ensuing madness is both sickening and morbidly entertaining.

Ashley Laurence has been mercifully removed from the cast (probably saving the film from failing like the first two did), except for a thankfully brief cameo in which her character is referred to in order to learn about the history of the box and to prove its capabilities. Hellraiser III gives the series a much needed jump-start, following a weak but cult classic original, as well as an even weaker first sequel. Unfortunately, the `Female Cenobite' (mysteriously left unnamed), `Chatterer,' and `Butterball' (both of whom probably SHOULD have been left unnamed) are gone, but a series of about half a dozen new Cenobites keeps the hellish imagery alive. I think that one of the better elements of this installment in the series is that they show all of the new Cenobites being created. However, when Doc becomes a Cenobite (`Camerahead'), some of his dialogue refers to his life as a human, contradicting the previously established characteristic of the Cenobites that they don't remember their human selves.

In the anti-religious tradition of the Hellraiser series (remember `Jesus Wept,' from part I? That was by far my favorite), some of Pinhead's antics in the church near the end of the film are great. When the priest holds up the cross to him, Pinhead melts it in the poor guy's hand, which is a terribly cruel thing to do, but at the same time he utters an absolutely brilliant bit of dialogue, `Thou shalt not bow down to any graven image.' Words to live by, people. After that, Pinhead's self-crucifixion scene was wonderfully sickening, yet his intentions in doing that were both clearly presented and morbidly farcical. Jesus was crucified, paying for man's sins, thereby saving mankind from damnation and becoming the subject of countless masses of people's unquestioning adoration, inspiring Pinhead to crucify himself and state that `I am the way.' This is great stuff.

Besides all that, I think that this installment had some of the best death scenes of the series so far, particularly in the nightclub. Some of that was almost physically painful to watch, a sure sign of success for a horror film. Not only was that Boiler Room massacre convincingly portrayed, but writer Peter Atkins also had the excellent idea to have poor Terri walk through the masses of mutilated bodies after the massacre had ended. Pretty uplifting stuff, huh? A little too gory and bloody? Don't moan about that, it's not supposed to be good, clean, fun. This is a horror film, and by definition, horror films are supposed to be horrible. And Hellraiser III achieves this horror better than either of the two that preceded it, finally leaving the viewer satisfied. Even when you think you are watching what will be a cheesy ending, a plot twist makes it good again, saving us (and the film, technically) from a goofy and patronizing ‘happily-ever-after.' This was a very good horror film. It's almost worth watching the first two just to get to this one, and hopefully this unexpected but very welcome upward trend will continue with the rest of the series.

It's rare when I can say it, but this was abysmal.

Author: PlayerSS from North Carolina
2 June 2006

I just went back and watched first two before this one. What was Doug Bradley thinking when he signed on to put Pinhead through this? There are quite a lot of things wrong with this movie.

First off Pinhead is way to "humanized" in this one. He talks a lot which makes him more human and less demon from Hell. I also didn't like how it wasn't really Pinhead doing all the killings. It was just a shell of Spencer's former evil manifested on earth. I hated that. I couldn't believe it when it pointlessly started laughing during the club scene as well. Which brings me to my next points.

The movie was way to urban to be a Hellraiser movie. I didn't like it that it took place in a club a lot and in the city. Plus Pinhead and the cenobites were exposed to way to many people. What ever happened to the only people seeing them was the people that figured out the box? That took away a lot of mystery of them.

Next is all the pointless scenes of gore. I'm a big fan of gore, but the gore meant completely nothing in the movie as compared to the last ones. The club scene where Pinhead out of no where just kills a bunch of people is a shame.

They tried so hard to make Pinhead the anti-hero villain like Jason or Freddy eventually became, but by this time nobody was asking him to be the anti-hero. This was only the third movie. I didn't feel for anybody in the movie and they tried desperately to make people care about Pinhead for some reason.

Next up is the freakin cheesy new Cenobites. I'm sorry, but a fat bartender Cenobite isn't going to replace butterball Cenobite. WTF was up with the camera Cenobite and his one liners? I also had to chuckle at the CD Cenobite.

The pay off to the Spencer/Pinhead separation was done decent, but Spencer and Pinhead being separated really wasn't needed in the first place. Oh well it's rule that classic horror series must be turned into jokes.

In the end this movie was completely abysmal. Which there's not many movies that earn that title from me. Pinhead was elevated to the central character and humanized a lot, because of all the lines he had and his actions. The desperate attempt at making Pinhead the anti-hero villain didn't work for me.

The pay off to the Spencer/Pinhead separation was done decent, but Spencer and Pinhead being separated really wasn't needed in the first place. Part 4 actually seems good in comparison.

One of the worst horror sequels in history

Author: Rudy Edwards from Atlanta, GA
24 November 2001

In a genre founded on bad sequels, Hell on Earth is one of the worst. After the first two Hellraiser movies developed a powerful mythology, It's all flushed down the toilet in the third movie, apparently to create a franchise in a marketplace dominated by fantastic lead characters. Pinhead does not make a Freddy Krueger, however, and all that happens in this movie is the tearing down of Clive Barker's fantastic world, throwing all of the previous personality and character of it's denizens out the window.

Hell sure wasn't impressive...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
21 December 2015

With the title "Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth" this third installment of the "Hellraiser" franchise does seem to want to accomplish something extraordinarily grand. But truth be told then there wasn't even remotely anything even close to Hell being unleashed unto our world.

That being said then don't get me wrong, because "Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth" is still an adequate movie in the "Hellraiser" franchise. But it just wasn't as thrilling or vile as the original "Hellraiser" movie.

One of the good things about this third movie is that more depth is added to the Pinhead character and it was a nice touch to offer that to the fans of the franchise.

The fans watch "Hellraiser" for the deviant ideas and creations of Clive Barker's warped mind, but sadly this third movie didn't have a lot of a screen time with the Cenobites, which was a real shame. And the new Cenobites that were introduced in the movie just weren't all that impressive or memorable. I was, however, quite impressed with the stone pillar in which Pinhead was imprisoned. It had amazing details and a certain H.R. Geiger quality to it.

"Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth" is an entertaining enough movie in its own right, but it just wasn't the best in the "Hellraiser" franchise.

It's the 90s, let's have fun!

Author: omp9 from Norway
14 May 2015

After two serious and dark films, Hellraiser 3 takes a different direction, away goes the grittiness and in comes comedy, explosions and pop-culture. Also looks like the movie makers wanted to make Pinhead more like an iconic super-villain like Jason and Freddy. Hellraiser 3 can't be looked at with serious eyes, because it's so campy and ridicules, it's a very typical for late 80s and 90s horror films where the movie makers just wanted to make them light and cartoonish. Hellraiser 3 does offer some entertainment value but nothing more. I've seen all of the Hellraiser movies and for me Hellreiser series died after Hellbound (Hellraiser II).

A Pathetic Cash Grab

Author: yaktheripper from United States
7 December 2014

I'm shocked to see it's still holding a 5 rating on IMDb, what a travesty in ratings. Hellraiser 3 is a poorly acted, poorly scripted, plodding craptastic insult to special effects and slap in the face to the first 2 classics in the franchise. This is a steaming pile of cinematic garbage served with freaking puns...PUNS NOW...on the side. Some reviewers on here are giving it 5 or 6 stars...why? Why in the name of all that's Clive Barker would you give this movie an average or better than average grade? What have you been watching to think this is an average movie people? And...8's? 9's? 10's? TENS EVEN!?! People...you're being bamboozled I tell you. A 10 in the horror genre is perhaps...The Shining, The Exorcist, Alien, you know...something with a strong screenplay, suspenseful cinematography, interesting and strong visuals...something that gets under our skin. How could you idiots rate this a 6 much less a 10, unless you have some sort of bad movie fetish, I just don't get it. I give this a 3. The acting was atrocious, the F/X were pitiful, the cinematography was hackish, and the plot was boring. The cenobites were oafish and pathetic....just a mess all around and if you like this movie then...well whatever. It gets a 3 from me because sadly there's even worse movies like this out there and I give Doug Bradly props for repping Pinhead...the other stars are for doing the credits the right way I guess...whatever, don't even watch this crud.

It's a watchable third installment in the "Hellraiser" franchise

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
30 May 2014

The previous "Hellraiser" movies portrayed Pinhead as this mysterious enigma that is a force to be reckoned with. This time around Pinhead is portrayed as some boogeyman that needs other to power him back up. The plot is somewhat similar of the goons trying to get a powerful evil villain to come back to the real world with a physical form and powers. While a female reporter is trying to find out what is going on with crazy murders that is taking place and having crazy dreams and visions while doing so. The plot this time is super far-fetched and doesn't make much sense at all, especially when it comes to the human mind. The scare factor is almost all gone with this installment with more human indulgence going on. It actually seemed like a rehash of the first movie with more stuff going on, but more doesn't necessarily mean better when it comes to movies. This time it shows the a lot more human side of Pinhead and his personality traits when he was human. Of his thoughts, motives and desires. Which in a way would have been cool, but takes away from the effective momentum of Pinhead as a horror icon. Not only that this installment breaks away from the rules when it comes to the cenobites (it does explain why, but it gets distracting and feels like a cop-out for mayhem). This one expands upon the human indulgence on the human flesh and pleasure, not in depth though but exterior wise (most of the movie takes place at a night club). Including a bit more masochism as well when it comes to the humans and Pinhead. But it fails to expand up on the mythos in a effective manner. I personally don't think this installment is a effective installment, but it's just alright. It's not awful and for the most part at least watchable.

5.6/10

Pinhead gets technical

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
17 March 2012

Strange thing in the world of the horror genre, we have the big names of Jason, Freddy and Michael. But there are a few names while still well known for some reason didn't provide such a big splash when it came to the box office like Hellraiser with Pinhead who is one of the best monsters in cinema. The monster is nothing more than about torture and pain, he feels no mercy towards anyone and loves the pleasure of hurting your flesh. The first Hellraiser is without a doubt a twisted crazy classic, to get into Clive Barker's head must be a trip. He created some very disturbing images that will never get out of your head once you see Hellraiser. It was the first time where a horror film had started dark and stayed dark throughout the entire movie and there was no letting go to let you breathe. Then the sequel came along, still staying dark and having a new world to take us into with the same characters and our questions from the first film were answered. It was a good sequel that could hold up a candle to the original. Then, in the spirit of most horror films, we were given the third Hellraiser called Hell on Earth.

The revelation of his own former humanity has resulted in Pinhead being split into two distinct entities: His former self, British Army Captain Eliot Spencer, and a manifestation of Spencer's id, which takes on the form of Pinhead. While Spencer ends up in limbo, Pinhead is trapped, along with the puzzle box, amongst the writhing figures and distorted faces etched into the surface of an intricately carved pillar - the Pillar of Souls. The pillar is bought by the rich and spoiled J.P. Monroe, owner of a popular nightclub called The Boiler Room. An ambitious young television reporter, Joey, slowly begins to learn about Pinhead and the mysterious puzzle box. She is introduced to the pain the box can bring when she views a teenage club-goer being ripped apart by the box's chains in a hospital emergency room. Joey is contacted by the spirit of Elliot Spencer, who tells her that this "Pinhead" is a separate entity. Without Spencer's humanity to act as a balancing influence, this Pinhead is completely evil and has no sense of order. Rather than abide by the laws of the Cenobite realm, he will indiscriminately wreak havoc on Earth for his own pleasure unless he can be stopped.

So given new eye candy with Terry Farrell as the leading lady, competing with Ashley Laurence as Kirsty is no easy task. Terry does do pretty well in keeping up with Elliot Spencer, but her scenes with Pinhead are not up to par. A lot of fans did complain about the new cenobites, that they were too goofy looking, I agree in some sense but still liked the over all look of them. I thought they still were pretty intimidating, well except for the CD throwing cenobite, what was that about? I loved how in the end there were about 10 explosions every 2 minutes and they kept going and going and going. I also got a great kick out of how every person Joey bumped into died a second later in the end, if she ran into me on the other street, I'd be more afraid of her than Pinhead. The way people reacted in this film was unreal at times and the story was a bit silly and a let down from the two previous films. But I did find a certain entertainment from the film and I think some people are a little too harsh on it. Pinhead came to bring Hell on Earth and he certainly did for an hour and a half.