IMDb > Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
Page 11 of 14: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Insultingly stupid "sequel" to two horror masterpieces

Author: Pinku_Eiga from Deutschland
16 February 2007

There is a fine collectors DVD set from Anchor Bay; The first 3 films in the "Hellraiser" series, contained in an awesome replica of the 'Lament Configuration' puzzle box. "Hellraiser 3: Hell On Earth", is an embarrassing mess of a film. It has the unfortunate honor of being the first dud in a series that got progressively worse, after two of the finest horror films to emerge from the 80's.

The original "Hellraiser" is a truly dark, hypnotically evil little film, filled with sadistic sex, grisly violence, and corrupt, sinister characters. It is one of the few films that is still genuinely frightening. Next came "Hellraiser 2: Hellbound", a film that is surprisingly great, and in some ways even surpasses it's predecessor, with it's amazing and outrageous imagery, particularly it's unique vision of Hell. And Julia, an even more formidable embodiment of evil, than Frank, of the first one. Then along comes part 3, an Americanized version, watered down and dumbed down by Hollywoods toxic influence. As usual, Hollywood sucks out the power of a horror film, by adding sickening comic overtones. While the original Cenobites were scary and fascinating in their own right, these new cenobites, with names like "Cd Head," and "Camera Head", are laughable and stupid. It's like "Freddy Vs. Jason", or a bad "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" episode", especially towards the end, with the battle of the cenobites in the streets of New York. In fact, from the opening scenes, when it becomes obvious that the location has been shifted from dark and gloomy London, to tacky and trendy 80's New York, I knew that i was in for a disappointment. What the filmmakers failed to realize here, is that the thing that made parts 1 & 2 so special, is that they were pretty much devoid of the "comic overtones" crap. Those films were played straight, and deadly serious. They played like horror films for intelligent, thinking adults who take their films, especially horror films seriously. "Hellraiser 3: Hell On Earth" is geared towards 13 year old kids who throw popcorn at each other in the mall cineplex. The story is all over the place, and the screenplay is a mess. The only element of the film that possesses any quality is the storyline about the handsome and sinister J.P. Monroe, a sick bastard who killed his parents to inherit their millions. He uses the money to buy an extravagant nightclub, a miniature world where he crowns himself King. He comes to possess the evil statue that houses Pinhead, who employs the corrupt J.P. to feed him young girls, so that he might again become flesh and blood. The J.P. character is good, but he is killed off fairly early, and the movie completely falls apart after. Guess what happens? Lots of dumb American teens get killed. What a profound disappointment for someone who has such great respect for the first two films. For fans of serious horror I do not recommend this trash. The series does not recover itself until "Inferno," the fifth installment, an elegant and stylish film noir study of a corrupt cop who comes across the Lament configuration box. However for fans of the "Scream" films, and the countless "Friday the 13th" and Nightmare On Elm Street" sequels, where liberal doses of comedy are mixed in with teens being butchered, they might enjoy this one.

Sad Addition to the Series

Author: SpudsOfSteel from United States
18 January 2007

I wont bore with Details of the Film as there is plenty information about the Story here.

My Complaints lie within the IDea the Film very loosely Follows and continues with a story that in no way, deserves to be a part of the Hellraiser series. the only thing it has in contrast to the other films is the cenobites and pinhead.

I gave it a 2 out of 10 because i simply was dissatisfied with the film as a whole. Considering the first two films this one lacks in gore, story and concept.

this film was made for one reason to introduce new cenobites, which i might add are not even in the future films, except for one brief moment. Not even long enough to warrant this film.

I found this to be more of an embarrassment to the series.

Now if you want a film that delves deeper into the History and background of the Box and the life of Pinhead as well the toymaker watch HR:BloodLines i found it to be much more satisfying, although I wanted more in it I felt it did more for the series.

Best Hellraiser movie I've seen

Author: AntmanX91 from United States
15 March 2006

Wow. this movie was really really really amazing. Certainly better than Hellbound, and I'd even say better than the first one. This time, the story takes place in the real world, not some isolated house or a mental hospital...or Hell. Pinhead was redeemed in my eyes as a force to be reckoned with. Example: JP--"Jesus Christ!" Pinhead--"Not quite." Terry Farrell played a compelling heroine, but I'm also a star trek fan so i had to say that. Trivia in case anyone cares: Andrew Robinson from the first movie was in Star Trek Deep Space Nine with Terry Farrell for seven years. If you really want to get into the Hellraiser films, see the first one, skip hellbound and then watch this.

Absolutely Abysmal Sequel.

Author: Andy (Incubus_Reborn) from Maine
24 May 2004

"Hellraiser" was a series that started off with so much potential. The first two installments were completely unique, all while being utterly disturbing and showcasing some mind-shattering gore effects. While the first two movies were perfect excercises in true horror and focused on just how low the human spirit can go, "Hellraiser III" plays out more like any of the "A Nightmare On Elm Street" sequels. These movies were never about Pinhead (Douglas Bradley). In this installment, he is reduced to a wise-cracking, obnoxious villain. Unlike Freddy Krueger, no one is cheering for Pinhead, because when he chooses to talk, it's annoying. So many times I was yelling "shut up" at the screen. The stuff he would come up with was just stupid and dragged the story down. And while I appreciate them elaborating on his mythology, it was all so unconvincing (his good side roams the dream world? Puh-lease). The movie itself could be mistaken as a made-for-TV movie, if it weren't for the cheesy gore effects (which come off really awful this time around). The characters are also way too cartoony and unrealistic. There is a certain plot-point where Pinhead taunts a character about killing his parents which is never mentioned again in the movie and makes you wonder why they brought it up in the first place. Oh, and did I mention the cenobite that shoots CD's at people? Don't even get me started. Although it was released in the 90's, "Hell On Earth" is an attempt at making Pinhead an anti-hero in the vein of 80's icons like Freddy Krueger, Jason Vorhees or Michael Myers. They definitely sold the series out with this one, and fail on all attempts, as this series went straight to straight-to-video after just one more installment. It may be worth watching if you haven't seen the first two movies, but if you have, this one will make you wretch in pain.

He's back

Author: kornsme182 from portland, Oregon
26 October 2003

This first time i saw this film i didn't care much for it. The second time i saw it i really liked it. After seeing the second one this one at first seemed like a let down. Now i think it just took it in another direction. This was the first movie to make Pinhead a real bad guy like Freddy Krueger. Before this he was just a cool side character in my mind. The movie has some real stupid things in it near the end with new Cenobites throwing cd's and crap but other then that the movie is a cool Horror film. Pinhead has some good lines and i like the background history on Pinhead. If you have seen the first 2 then check it out.

Truly a Great Sequel!!!

Author: Ed Moorehouse from Everett, WA
20 January 2002

Although None of the Hell Raiser Sequels have been bad, Hell Raiser III: Hell on Earth has to be My Personal Favorite of the Series. Scary, Entertaining, and The Acting was Darn Good! I Also enjoyed the Ending, as Well as the Exciting Climax found Two Thirds of the Way into the Film. Horror Fans Have got to See This! Some People even Say It's better than the Original! I Wouldn't say it was Better than The Original. I Would say it's Better than any of the Sequels.

I Wouldn't Just Say This is the Best of The Hell Raiser Sequels, I Would even go as Far as to Say it Is the Second Greatest Sequel in Cinematic History (Of Course, Puppet Master III is the Best Sequel EVER). For Those Who need to Be Warned, This Movie has a lot Of Gore. I Don't Mind It, But That's Just Me (I Own the Unrated Version, The Rated Version Will be A Lot less Gory) You Decide!

I Wish I Could Comment A lot on The Terrifying Climax and Well Thought out Scares. But The Last Thing I Would Want to do Is Possibly Spoil any Second of This Great Movie. All I Will Say is: Scary, Entertaining, Clever, Original, and It is a Masterpiece.

10 out of 10. Grade: A+

Fans of this Should Check out: "Puppet Master", "A Nightmare On Elm Street", "Castle Freak", "Dawn of the Dead", "Night of the Living Dead", "Leprechaun", "Texas Chain Saw Massacre", and "Friday the 13th". For More Recommendations, please Check the Other Movies I Have Commented on By Clicking on my Name Above this Comment Section.

The Best of the Four

Author: Gislef from Iowa City, IA
19 August 1998

Finally, a decent Hellraiser movie. Doug Bradley and Terry Farrell are both entertaining and interesting, and in a way the movie seems to be parodying the previous ones: the "Pinhead" in this movie is an evil shadow of the original, and you get the impression the writers are making a comment on the original and its weaker sequel. One wonders how much work Barker put into this (reputedly, not much). It has some of the humor and wit that is lacking from the previous two, and Barker's own works as well. There's still plenty of gore galore, though, for those with a taste for such things. And Pinhead has the best lines of any of the movies.

One of the worst films I've ever seen...

Author: isamu4242 from United States
8 December 2005

Clearly a perfect example of why sequels in Hollywood are horrible. Shot in NC, my home state this laughable "sequel" exceeds in only one thing, overdone B-horror cheese. The plot, which has basically little connection to the first two films, takes our viewers to what apparently the writer believed to be the counter-culture/underground rebellious youth scene of this time period. There a reporter runs about trying to stop Pinhead who for whatever reason is resurrected through from a stone statue. The worst parts of this film though have to be the new Sinnebites created specifically for this film. For whatever reason the creators decided to have 1, a demon created from a DJ that shoots CD's from his head, and 2, a demon created from a reporter that has a camera lens in his head he uses to smash people's skulls with. Geez, what next guys?? A demon created from an office executive that shoots hell powered stables and invoices? Or perhaps a cenobite fast food operator that flings Satan's deep frying grease and the third level of hell razor fries. Do not waste your time with this film UNLESS you are looking specifically for a over-the-top B-horror film.

This is a good horror film

Author: argusto from Argentina
20 December 2003

This movie is something very funny (in the creepy scence of the word). It's just adirect horror movie, that doesn't bore you. It's a great gore movie. There's more to be said about this movie but frankly i'll better let you see it for your own bloody good.

A fast and stylized thriller...

Author: ary luiz dalazen jr. (ajr@fortalnet.com.br) from Fortaleza, Ceará, Brazil
29 July 1999

The owner of a famous and exotic night club buys at a mysterious store a statue with sculpted forms. What he doesn't know is that the statue hides inside of itself all the evil's power, in the cruel creatures' form led by Pinhead. The imprudent guy ends up freeing the creatures. Third and weakest continuation of the 1987's success, "Hellraiser".Trying to accomplish a worthy and creative work as the two previous films, director Anthony Hickox increases a quick rhythm and blood to the show (in stylized scenes, replete of special effects), and he in fact gives anthological sequences as the massacre that takes place inside the club, but even so the result is mediocre, and Hickox isn't the main responsible: the fragility comes from a confused and uninteresting plot that ,instead of beginning from where "Hellbound" finished (a cold psychiatric hospital in London), starts in a hot Los Angeles.The whole cast's poor acting is other point that helped to turn "Hellraiser 3" into a collage of violent and nonsense scenes.The two first, "Hellraiser" and "Hellbound",were filmed in England, and both had a memorable and exceptional cast (to begin with William Hope, who played Dr. Kyle Maclay in "Hellbound", and in special with Clare Higgins, who interpreted Júlia, the perverse stepmother.This magnificent actress's character was the main responsible for turning the Barker's stories into something even more special), a script with the Barker's ideas and basic concepts (the pain, the pleasure, the cruelty), an impressive and oppressive photography, a powerful sound track (courtesy of the great composer Christopher Young) and courageous directors who have experience enough to dare.And, when trying to recreate the way to tell a Barker's book, Anthony Hickox failed. Even not being as good as its predecessors, the film is a fast and curious entertainment."Hellraiser 3" is rated for explicit language, graphic violence and adult situations, and it runs 97 minutes.

Page 11 of 14: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]