IMDb > Gas, Food Lodging (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Gas, Food Lodging More at IMDbPro »

Pull the heart strings

Author: daisy chain from San Antonio, TX
4 February 2000

I absolutely loved this movie. There's no other way to put it.

Great acting from Fairuza and Ione and no matter what anyone says Ione Skye is a fabulous, talented actress. Every woman should see this movie and ultimately relate to it. We're all in search of a long-lasting relationship, but there are worse things in the world than being lonely. That's what I took away from the movie. For a change this film actually had an intelligent screenplay and top quality acting and directing. Again, I highly recommend the movie especially to women. Don't let this one go unnoticed!!

An American Movie with a Continental Feel

Author: michael-1151 from United Kingdom
7 January 2007

Allison Anders motivation in making this film may be obscure, but I'm glad she made it. This, her debut feature, runs like a meandering stream through rivulets of teenage angst and single-mother frustration in small town New Mexico. Maybe its' the Mexico bit that made this movie seem more foreign than traditional action-based, marketing-oriented, formulaic American movies.

I'd heard the term "trailer trash" via Jerry Springer and guests, but this female family of free (alright, forget the alliteration - three) are far from "trash", just down on their luck. The mother, Brooke Adams is a waitress on a low income trying to bring up her girls; the older one, Ione Skye, discovers through a fraternisation with a gallant, geologically quizzical Englishman (for once, not Hugh Grant), that relationships beat one night stands.

Ione's brother, Donovan Leitch, also appears in this film, but it is Fairuza Balk as the younger teenager, who is outstanding. She wants the best for her mother, which she has difficulty in securing, but her film-buff instincts and a predilection for Spanish movies, enable her to find fulfilment for herself.

The movie concludes in a somewhat enigmatic manner without all loose endings tied up. But hey, when in life are any loose endings tied up? Our end, like this film's, leave us wanting more.

Brooke Adams and Fairuza Balk....

Author: MarieGabrielle from United States
1 August 2006

I admit I am biased- I have always loved Ms. Adams since "The Dead Zone"...Stephen King at his earliest, and best.

This film is quirky and interesting. It is one of the few actually worth buying on DVD. Not just for the performances, which are excellent, by the way.

The visuals are noteworthy. New Mexico, the Southwest; a visual palette reminiscent of the artist Georgia O'Keefe. Beautiful photography, and a dysfunctional family trying to survive- two young girls living with their disillusioned mother.

This film addresses a niche which is not mainstream, but real...disappointed Americans living and working , trying their best, yet opposed by the realities. This film deserves 10/10- a must see.

fantastic independent film

Author: rjfilms from USA
11 September 2005

This film was the reason I became a film maker. Period. It is very inspiring to watch, with superb acting, quiet character building and developing. The film grabs you and pulls you into a small New Mexico town setting. You become completely engrossed with the story and the characters. It takes time to develop personalities within the female leads and the viewer becomes quite vested in their futures. I found Fairuza Balk's acting performance particularly compelling. One of my favorite acted roles in cinema (quality wise). This film is in my top ten favorites of all time, and also my twin has similar affinity for this superb film. Kudos to a film outside of the ordinary with a true independent vision.

One of the best indie films out there!

Author: Blondie_ from California
12 January 2002

I have seen this movie countless times. Such a great, well-written story brilliantly executed by Anders. She has such a great artistic vision when it comes to camera angles, lighting, cinematography, and music. Great acting too all around! This is one of the few films I would give a 10/10!

Peculiar, unsettling, but also courageous and amazing mood-piece...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
31 January 2008

Keen adaptation of Richard Peck's novel "Don't Look and It Won't Hurt", starring Brooke Adams in a terrific performance as the single mother of two headstrong young daughters who hopes for a better existence outside their backwater town in New Mexico, but not knowing just how to go about finding it. Arty, intriguing showcase for some very fine actresses (Adams, Ione Skye and the inscrutable Fairuza Balk), as well as James Brolin in a small but telling role as the girls' dreamy-quiet, estranged father. Director Allison Anders, who also adapted the screenplay, does hit an awkward snag or two in exploring these characters' emotions, but her feel for Nowhere U.S.A. is rich with complexity. Moody and unusual, it's a film worth seeing. *** from ****

Great Flick!

Author: juliecanton from United States
8 August 2006

I recently watched this film with my husband who grew up in Deming, NM where the film was made. Very authentic story with regard to the lack of anything to do in the small desert towns of NM and the constant desire to get the heck out of there either by running away or using your imagination. Shade is a fantastic character and you will easily fall in love with her. Additionally, once you discover the reason for Trudi's attitude, you'll root for her too instead of wondering her problem is with everyone. This film is a real catch. Wish I heard about it sooner, my husband just remembered it one day when he was telling me how excited everyone was that a movie was being made in Deming. We were surprised to find it was available on Netflix.

Such a good movie, such a great Fairuza.

Author: miguelfeyfer from Argentina
27 June 2007

I read about this movie in a magazine in my country, Argentina. The critics had voted "Gas, food, lodging" as the best movie in 1992 or 1993, I can't remember. As I haven't seen it at the theaters, I had to wait a few years till was shown in cable TV, quite late I must say. I usually agree with the critics that voted it, but I was really skeptic as was not a hit at all... but they were right again. Wonderful movie, a touching Fairuza Balk that appeared to be a future star and ended making small parts or characters too much below her. I became quite a fan of this film, and as I have just registered here I decided not only to vote but to write a few lines about it. Please don't miss it. It is not only another indie film but a great movie.

Seems Very Personal

Author: cokramer from United States
12 March 2007

I wish there were more films like this. Anders, the director, is a very wise person, especially in how she sees human relationships and treats them in this film. People call this an intelligent film and I'm not saying it's not, but that comment says a bundle about a lot of the other films that have been out there lately, where characters just don't seem human and act more like plot robots, void of any recognizable human feelings or dimensions. Evil and good in absolute black and white strokes. No, most people are more complex than that, even if mass media doesn't seem to want to poke much beyond the surface that they present to us. This movie is intelligent because it's very intuitive in its understanding of how most real people relate to one another. There are two particular scenes that I especially love. One is with the younger daughter bringing home purely by coincidence the ex-lover of her mom for a supposedly blind first date with the mom. She and the ex play it cool and ironically pretend they don't know each other and by the end of it, the lover comes to understand the mom's maternal love for her daughter and why she can't continue with him as her lover, which is all spelled out without anyone saying anything directly. The second scene is slightly less poignant, but also shows the unspoken understanding between good people. It involves the satellite cable installer and the mom and how they communicate indirectly and in a silly smart way the nature of their newfound relationship with one another and what they want from it. Their conversation in bed after the first time doing "it" was a gem. Very strong recommendation!

A wonderful movie, especially if you want to understand women

Author: Tasha-22 from usa
17 August 1999

I have seen this movie three times, and each time I see it, I appreciate it more. This is a story about a mother and her two daughters, and the personal struggles each go through as they try to be a family. While the movie is slow-paced, I highly enjoyed the cinematography. The ages of the three main characters gives a special insight into the difficulties facing women at different stages in their lives.