IMDb > A Few Good Men (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Few Good Men

A Few Good Men More at IMDbPro »

Page 18 of 32: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [Next]

As good a courtroom drama as you could ever wish to see!

Author: Old Joe from Hamilton, Australia
28 February 2002

I have seen many films that deal with the courtroom, but this one would have to be the best pick of the bunch. It has a great feel to it. The tension and drama this movie had enthralled me. It also proved to me that Tom Cruise is a Hollywood star and that Jack Nicholson is one Hollywood's legendary actors.

One man is dead, two are accused of murder. The entire Marine Corps is on trial. This movie is a drama about the dangerous difference between following orders and following one's conscience. Brilliant Neo military lawyer, Alistair Kaffee has been assigned to help prove two army officers not guilty of murder. With the help of Lieutenant Commander Joanne Galloway and Lieutenant Sam Weinberg, Kaffee is going to prove that he is the best lawyer in town and is someone not to be wreaked with.

I will come straight out now and admit that I am not the hugest Tom Cruise fan. Sure he is a great Hollywood celebrity and all, but he has done some pretty ordinary films. None more so than that of The mission Impossible series. These films were just slow and lacked a good story, with the second movie almost a complete bore all the way through. But seeing Cruise in this movie role, made me stand to attention and take notice of what a fine actor he really is. He was superb as the smartass lawyer, showing that he will do whatever he can to bring out the truth. This role is almost as good as the one he had in Rain Man, alongside Dustin Hoffman. I guess the other problem with Cruise for me is some of his offscreen problems, which for me make him look a very arrogant man. Perhaps I am being a bit harsh though?

This movie has a great back-up cast. Jack Nicholson, although he has a very minor role in this movie, is brilliant in the parts that he is in as the corrupt colonial. Nicholson is anther Hollywood legend, with some great films to his name including As Good As It Gets, Batman (as the unmistakable Joker), One Who Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest and The Haunting. Demi Moore is one actress that I have had a hard time keeping up with. Of course her rocky marriage to Bruce Willis was hard to follow, but her movie career has been one that is very unpredictable. She was great in the movie Ghost, but has done some terrible movies, with one of her worst being Striptease. Moore was ok in this film, but nothing spectacular. Finally you have two minor roles, which belong to Kevin Bacon and Kevin Pollack. Bacon was brilliant as the attorney for the government, with some of the confrontations between Cruise and himself, unforgettable. Pollack was also great as the person backing Kaffee up on his case. His role in the 1999 movie ‘End of Days', was also very good.

The script for this movie was top notch. It was written by Aaron Sorkin, and was a script that had a lot of tension and drama. This then leads me to the director, that being Rob Reiner. He did a wonderful job of giving the audience the chance to feel as if they were part of the courtroom, because I know I certainly felt like I was part of it, with the final courtroom scene just brilliant.

So taking all this into consideration, I have seen a wonderful courtroom drama, that also has a tinge of suspense and humour. I feel this film is a much better courtroom movie than that of Rules Of Engagement, though that film was also very good in my view. If you are bored one night, duck out and hire A Few Good Men. Trust me, you will not be disappointed that you did so.

Rating: 4.5 Stars or 9/10

A great character piece+good trial suspense=great film

Author: edgigante (edgigante@uol.com.br) from São Paulo, Brazil
26 February 2002

After renting "A Few Good Men" I asked my mum if she could buy it. Apart from having the energy and tensity of a good trial movie, it is an excellent character piece. This is the story of a boy who was given a case he didn't want because of his relations and in the end surprises everyone, even his roots. another good thing is how the plot is made. the way the truth unfolds, the way they defend what they believe in and how orders are made. Another good thing is how the actors contributed, all giving 100% (specially in the courtroom scenes)and how they showed their talents (specially Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson). If Rob Reiner wasn't behind this, the movie would be a dud, for he is a master of bringing out the best in people.

To sum it up, it is a story about justice, honor and overcoming the obstacles. It is a film that I will always Recommend to everybody.

An old fashioned movie that grabs you

Author: chisum from Hartlepool England
21 February 2002

This is the kind of film they would have made in the golden age of hollywood,probably with Gable and Tracy and Joan Crawford.This fim is of a high quality.Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise with a vengenance and Demi Moore is great to look at and Kevin Pollack is good too but the film belongs to Jack Nicholson he has a screen prescence that few modern stars can attain. The film moves quickly and with some great quotable lines along the way.this is what US movies do at there best,perhaps not quite a great film certainly one that can be watched every couple of years.Sit back grab a coffee and enjoy 8/10

Pretty good

Author: KrazeyDazey from Kentucky, USA
19 February 2002

This was a good watch. I think the casting was perfect...and the acting is great. Mostly notable because it is based on actual fact. Maybe not worth more than watching once, but at least good enough for one time viewing.

Rating: 7

A FEW GOOD MEN...

Author: Matija Trost from Ljubljana, Slovenija
27 January 2002

...and a lot of "big shots" actors. So, do we have a classic here?

NOT quite. Sure here is Jack Nicholson, who fits perfectly for this type of roles and he is undoubtfully the biggest star in this movie. Tom was on the level too, while Demi and Kevin, hmmm, could be better I guess. Oh, and a two cadets who were also the right pick.

The story is interesting, a movie is very watchable, so why not give this movie a perfect 10?

Well, I guess it's too predictable to be memorable. It's one of this movies, where justice win. In a Hollywood way.

8 out of 10

Absolutely incredible...

Author: TexMetal4JC (TexMetal4JC@hotmail.com) from Conn.
22 December 2001

What more can be said about this movie? Nicholson's character doesn't show a whole lot of depth, but doesn't need to, and Nicholson does an amazing job. Cruise provides a top-notch acting job, and Demi Moore isn't TOO annoying.

Rob Reiner, although a bigot and a hypocrite, knows how to direct and does his job well--it's just unfortunate he has to continually speak his mind about politics and show how his "All in the Family" 'tolerance' was nothing more than a sham (tolerance is only given to those on the left, eh, Robbie?)

After Sept. 11, it is quite interesting to struggle with the vaguely anti-militaristic sentiment that runs through the movie. The man down below calling this "chest=pounding, flag-saluting bloody American..." blah blah blah obviously did not actually watch the movie or realize that the main basis of the plot has nothing to do with America at all, but rather deals with the potential for corruption in the upper levels of the military and just how far is too far in the line of duty...

Annnyway, back to the review: Incredible acting, fine directing and a well-constructed plot. Definitely one of the best movies of the 1990s...

Favorite Director, Favorite Writer!

Author: Linus Wikell (linuswikell@hotmail.com) from Älmhult, Sweden
19 November 2001

Well, with that combination, together with the fact that I've wanted to watch this movie for nine years, I was bound to have rather high expectations when I sat down last night to see it. And I thought it was... great! Everybody's speaking of Jack Nicholson's performance, and sure, it's great. But I thought that Tom Cruise, who's growing on me every day, was at least as good as Mr. Nicholson in this movie. I really liked it, and I rate it with an 8. Maybe it would have been even higher without the high expectations I had before watching it...

best movie of all times

Author: jehanzaib11 from khi, pakistan
20 September 2001

Tom Cruise,Demi Moore,jACK nICHOLSON GIVE STUNNING PERFORMANCES IN THIS EMOTIONAL SUSPENSE AND DRAMA.IT IS THE BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN.i highly recommend this movie to any movie fan as it will show you how life can challenge and yes sometimes you have to believe in yourself so much that even your shadow will cast doubt...cant explain words how well directed this movie.Rob Reiner should have won Oscar for this one...

Jack Nicholson under scrutiny.

Author: Keith F. Hatcher from La Rioja, Spain
14 September 2001

In the space of a few days I had the luck (I did not say `good luck') to see `The Postman Always Rings Twice' (1981), `Blood and Wine' (1997) and `A Few Good Men' (1992) in that order. The common thread here, evidently, is Jack Nicholson. This actor has become rather stereotyped for me – though not necessarily for other people – inasmuch that I sometimes feel that he does not need to act or anything, but just plays himself: but how well he plays himself! He has that ability usually, and in these three films specifically, to play the mean b*****d, or the loose-liver, or the shady double-dealer or in all cases, a hard type, and quite often the camera captures that glint in his eyes that makes you feel that he has gone crazy.

I can first remember seeing him in Rafelson's `The Postman Always Rings Twice' with Jessica Lange, the type of film based on a book which, the same as Truman Capote's `In True Blood', has become a classic in the North American genre. The story is powerful, and Nicholson, more than Lange, is up to the mark. However this film has always – about three times, now – left me asking myself what went wrong: there is something more convincing lacking. A wonderful job with preparing the 30s scenario and all those old trucks and buses. Almost reminded me of an early rendering in black and white of John Steinbeck's `The Grapes of Wrath' – possibly still one of the greatest US novels of all times.

It's worth mentioning John Colicos as the Greek petrol-station owner, whose apportation is pretty decent.

If in 1981 Nicholson held his own very well with the other principal actors, he had a more difficult job with Jennifer López (who only has to appear on the screen to beat allcomers) and Michael Caine, who in `Blood and Wine' just was not up to his level in `The Cyder House Rules' (1999), also seen again very recently. A much more complex story here as everyone tries to hang on to a near-priceless necklace, though in the end Stephen Dorff does the only honest thing open to any of them. An interesting story: but too stereotyped to Rafelsonian formulas, and with a bit more violence thrown in than really necessary for my liking. The story – and the acting – was not bad; it was even very nice to see that Miss López is even able to give a rather good performance and is not there just for her pretty face and lovely hair and beautiful eyes and fantastic ……….. Whoa! I'll try to keep to the film…….. However the film left me unamused as Rafelson's directing has lost the (little) charm it had in 1981. And it is pretty obvious that he is not up to Rob Reiner when it comes to getting absolutely the maximum of possibilities out of the Actors.

Reiner's `A Few Good Men' is one of the few court-house dramas to keep me interested to the very end. Arthur Miller's `Twelve Just Men' is the only other film of this type which comes to my mind at this moment. Under Reiner's directing Nicholson probably plays one of his best rôles, certainly the most convincing one I can remember seeing him in. His playing of a Colonel in the Marines is spot on; you feel you identify with that kind of upper-crust navy man. But opposite him he has Tom Cruise excelling himself as a young military lawyer partnered by a magnificent Demi Moore in perhaps the best part I have seen her in. Really good stuff here: gripping story with superb directing. I have seen each of these films at least twice, and with confidence feel I can say that `A Few Good Men' is not only the better film, but also it is where Jack Nicholson redeems himself and comes up trumps – amen better directing and excellent camera-work; the ending scenes are highly memorable.

Good courtroom drama!

Author: Catherine Grace Zeh (FilmGirlGZ@aol.com)
4 August 2001

A FEW GOOD MEN was even better than I expected. I thought that Tom (Cruise), Jack (Nicholson), and Demi (Moore) gave dazzling performances. Also, I was deeply moved by this movie, AND it made me feel good. The most moving thing about it was the trial. This was because two Marines (whom I thought Wolfgang Bodison and James Marshall portrayed very movingly) were on trial for their lives. I got a little scared at some parts -- Especially when Colonel Jessup (Jack Nicholson) was on the stand. This was because he got a little aggressive and scary. In my opinion, the music score was absolutely spellbinding -- Especially the march that played at the beginning and end of the movie. If I can find the soundtrack in the record stores, I'm buying it. When Lieutenant Kaffee (Tom Cruise) said, "AAAAA. I'm sorry, your time's run out. What do we have for the losers, judge? Well, for our defendants, it's a lifetime in exotic Fort Leavenworth. And for defense counsel Kaffee... that's right... it's a court martial! Yes, Johnny! After falsely accusing a highly decorated marine officer of conspiracy and perjury, Lieutenant Kaffee will have a long and prosperous career teaching typewriter maintenance at the Rocko Club School for Women. Thank you for playing 'Should We Or Should We Not Follow The Advice Of The Galactically Stupid?'" I laughed my head off! That was a REALLY funny quote! This is a REALLY good courtroom drama. Having said that, I give A FEW GOOD MEN three out of four stars.