IMDb > A Few Good Men (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Few Good Men

A Few Good Men More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 32: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

The truth

Author: bulleetz37235 from United Kingdom
27 October 2005

I like this film. That's the truth.

Strong performances, great dialogue and a story with plenty of flow, intrigue and entertainment to boot.

Tom Cruise, is cast well as Kaffey, the cocky lawyer trying to defend two soldiers arrested for the murder of a fellow soldier at their base. Demi Moore is also good as Joanne Greenway an internal affairs worker who thinks Kaffey isn't good enough, but seems to admire his nerve, and his unorthodox approach to his case. But best of all is Jack Nicholson, as a general who is not only powerful but tenacious. He is more than he seems, and appears to have more responsibility in this murder case than you'd imagine.

But I won't spoil it.

With a great back up cast with the likes of: Kevin Bacon Kiefer Sutherland J.T Walsh (On amazing form) and Kevin Pollack This film can't help but impress me. And so I recommend it quite heavily. Although, if you get bored by "nitty-gritty" dramas, then I don't - You won't like it if that's not your thing.

Compelling military drama; take with grain of salt...

Author: Tim Rollins from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
22 August 2005

This Tom Cruise/Jack Nicholson film caught my attention the moment I saw the posters promoting its upcoming release back in the fall of 1992. Rare as it was – even back then – I went with a date and saw it opening night.

First and foremost, I need to set the record straight on one matter: My youngest brother spent a year and change in Rifle Security Company at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and he thought the movie was Aaron Sorkin bull. While I think Sorkin has his own agenda, I can only speak from my perspective as both a former Marine and as one who takes a closer look at movies after I've seen them a couple of times.

Adapted from the play which Sorkin also wrote, yet there were some subtle differences where necessary liberties were taken in order to capture the appeal of a film audience.

Cruise plays Lieutenant Daniel Kaffee, a Navy JAG (Judge Advocate General) officer (military lawyer), and the son of Alistair Kaffee, who had also been a JAG officer and former U.S. Attorney General, who has a well-known track record for making plea bargains. All of a sudden, he gets a murder case dropped in his lap by Division in the hopes it will just go away, and Kaffee wants to know why.

Being one who likes to make her presence known for its sake alone, enter Lieutenant Commander Joanne Galloway – played by Demi Moore in one of her rare decently played roles – and we have the potential for some real explosive personality problems, at least at first. Kaffee is new on the block, Galloway is a desk jockey whose skills are shall we say overly specific, and after they get past the kinks. They build up a mutual respect.

What appealed to me the most in this move – despite what I felt was an unjustified R rating – was that there was no desire on the part of either Cruise's or Moore's character for the gratuitous or obligatory sex scene that proliferates R-rated movies. There was no innuendo either; these were two professionals – military officers – working with a third officer played by Kevin Pollak that busted their chops in getting their clients acquitted.

The showdown in the courtroom, coupled with the shocking twist during the film will make you a fan of this film and enjoy it with repeated viewing. For a directorial debut, Rob Reiner makes a noticeable splash with style and some measure of substance.

Not for children, A Few Good Men joins the ranks of the modern American classics.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give this film a 9/10. ***

A Must See

Author: gottogorunning from United States
17 August 2005

I can't count the times over the years that I have watched A,Few Good Men ever since I first saw it in 1993 I said now here is a great movie. I must have been right because network TV and both basic and premium cable channels continue to give A,Few Good Men numerous showings. Rob Reiner did a great job directing along with superb writing from Aaron Sorkin was what made this movie so interesting that your eyes are glued from start to finish. The acting just blows me away to start you have a great performance from Tom Cruise maybe the best of his career. Cruise handles the role of Navy lawyer Daniel Kaffee great he shows his ability to work so well with others. I know with the way Cruise showed that Daniel Kaffee can roar away that is exactly the kind of defense lawyer that two Marines accused of murder needed. Tom Cruise was perfectly cast. I'm just getting warmed up on the talk about good acting Jack Nicholson was once again his brilliant direct to the point self again. I came to love Jack with his performance as The Joker in Batman and in The Shining but I must say his performance in A,Few Good Men as Colonel Nathan R. Jessup, commander of the U.S. Marine base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba showed once again just why Jack Nicholson as a actor is in a totally different league. That being a league of select legends and all-time greats. Jack suited the role of the hard and wise Colonel so well you love ever scene he had which was only four. I always remember this intense courtroom sequence starting with Cruise: "I want the truth". Nicholson: "You can't handle the truth". Many times that quote holds true to life the truth is hard but believe me always remember the truth conquers all and is the most important thing that matters when everything is said and done and A,Few Good Men proves that very point. This movie is now a classic so be sure that you either own a VHS copy or put a tape in the VCR to record when you have time because A,Few Good Men is always a must view.

When Hollywood gets together...

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
6 July 2005

Every once in awhile there are certain films that bring together Hollywood's elite or young hot stars in order to make a crowd pleaser. Certainly director Rob Reiner did exactly that but on top of this he made a top film that critics and fans loved equally which is no easy feat.

A Few Good Men is the story of two young marines who are charged with the murder of a fellow marine after they seemingly punished him and he died from the result. It seems like an open and shut case and the Navy brings on board hot shot young attorney Lt. Daniel Kaffee who is renowned for plea bargaining a case and never arguing. With the help of Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway, who believes the boys were ordered to perform this brand of punishment on the victim, Kaffee is convinced to bring the case to trial. As they push further through the evidence and witnesses they begin to unfold what truly happened on the base and who was truly responsible for calling out the order that took the Marine's life.

What an unbelievable collaboration of a cast. Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson, Demi Moore, Kevin Bacon, Kiefer Sutherland, Kevin Pollack, and an amazing supporting cast as well of lesser known but nonetheless amazing actors. This is perhaps the Oceans Eleven of the nineties except much, much better. Bringing together a cast like this, with such a powerful storyline is pure gold which it was!! Some of the best points of the film is the dialog between the characters, almost soliloquy type speeches from Cruise and Nicholson and of course the infamous if not overused "You Can't Handle the truth." I admit I wasn't overly impressed with Jack Nicholson but his character wasn't bad. Demi Moore also was a little withdrawn but in a film with this many heavy hitters it would be hard for every star to shine. Tom Cruise is truly the star of the film turning in an emotional and turbulent performance as Kaffee. For a legal film, A Few Good Men is one of the smoothest moving, easy to follow, and well put together of the bunch. Rob Reiner truly did an amazing job making a mainstream yet critically acclaimed film. This is a film that everyone should see because it's one of those films that Hollywood thrives for...incredibly star power in an amazing film. You won't be disappointed. 9/10

Code red

Author: X-303-sg1 from United Kingdom
5 July 2005

A nice powerful drama based on a true story of conspiracy and corruption within the united states marine core.

With Outstanding Performances from Jack Nicholson, Tom Cruise, and Yes Demi Moore as well. The plot develops, and the conspiracy surrounding the case becomes apparent. And its up to Cruise to lay his career on the line to find the truth.

Its good when cruise gets Nicholson wound up and he admits it and there's just shock for 1 minute then cruise dismisses the jury and requests a court martial or something like that.

Nicolson says " I'm going to rip the eyes out of your head and p!$$ in your dead skull, you fu(ked with the wrong marine".

Superb Film

Author: jmorrison-2 from Farmington Hills, MI
14 June 2005

Superb film, very well acted by everyone involved. Tom Cruise plays an excellent character, a cocky navy lawyer who is determined to go through life on his looks and his brains. However, he suddenly finds himself in a situation where much more is being demanded of him. A case that he judged to be a throwaway exposes the shortcomings and insecurities he had so successfully hidden away. He can't get away with smirking, charming and half-stepping his way through this one.

A well-told story. Tom Cruise hits just the right note as the smarmy, but frightened lawyer who must step up and deliver.

Well-acted by a great cast, and a strong directing performance by Ron Howard.

Perfect Example of a Courtroom Drama!!!!!

Author: Brandon Chappell (Geomapboy@bolt.com) from Rock Hill, SC; United States
30 March 2005

A Few Good Men (1992) is one of those examples of a perfect courtroom drama. The movie stars Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson, Demi Moore, Kevin Bacon, and Keifer Sutherland in one of Rob Reiner's best films yet! Cruise plays Lt. Daniel Kaffee, a hotshot, baseball loving Naval Attorney who must defend two Marines stationed at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba who are accused of assaulting and murdering a fellow Marine. In Cuba, the base Commander, Colonel Nathan Jessup (Nicholson), states to his senior officers (J.T. Walsh; Sutherland) that PFC Santiago (the dead Marine) will not be transferred off GitMo Base and that Santiago will be trained by Lt. Kendrick (Sutherland). Lt. Colonel Matthew Markinson (Walsh) thinks that transferring Santiago off the base is a good idea, but Jessup tells Markinson that Santiago will be trained and that he (Santiago) is staying at GitMo. Meanwhile in Washington, Kaffee meets with Lt. Cmdr. JoAnne Galloway (Moore) of the Naval Internal Affairs Division, who just became the attorney for PFC Louden Downey (James Marshall), one of the accused Marines. Kaffee then meets with Capt. Jack Ross (Bacon) who states that he is representing the United States if there is a Court Martial. During the movie, Kaffee, Galloway, and Lt. Sam Weinberg (Kevin Pollak) make up the defense team and have to prove that someone at GitMo ordered a "Code Red" on Santiago. The movie leaves you on the edge of your seat up until the courtroom showdown between Kaffee and Jessup, when the action takes place. A Few Good Men is one of best military films ever made. This movie deserves a perfect ********** stars.

Can't go wrong with Jack Nicholson

Author: udeaasykle (udeaasykle@hotmail.com) from Sandnes, Norway
1 July 2004

Some of my friends don't like Tom Cruise, but I don't really care what they think because this is a great movie and Tom Cruise is awesome in it. Same goes for the other characters as well, especially Jack Nicholson. If you are the kind of guy that likes court room thrillers this is absolutely the movie for you. Great acting, a great script and just in all a very entertaining movie from beginning to end. Tom Cruise plays Lt. Daniel Kaffe, a navy lawyer who gets the case of his life when two army guys get charge with murder of a fellow soldier. In the beginning it looks like a straight forward case, but is it? I am not going to spoil anything else so go ahead, rent it or buy it. You won't regret it. And if you do, something is wrong with you :P I rate this movie 8/10

Following Orders Is No Excuse

Author: sol from Brooklyn NY USA
21 May 2004

****SPOILERS**** Slow moving but interesting court drama about what one in the US Armed Forces should do when faced with an unlawful order and if he executes that order is he, or she, as guilty as the person who gave it.

Tom Cruise, Lt. Dan Kaffee, and Jack Nicholson, Col. Nathan Jessep, are excellent in their respective roles as the hunter and the hunted in the jungles of the military courtrooms in Washington D.C. Demi Moore, Lt. Camdr. JoAnne Galloway in one of her best and at the same time controlled roles that showed how good she can act besides having a pretty face and gorgeous body.

The movie builds up slowly until it reaches it's explosive conclusion with Col. Jessep's arrogance and sense of self-importance exposing him for what he really is. A dangerous and psychotic egomaniac who's more of a danger to the safety and security of the United States then an asset to it. Both James Marshall & Wolfgang Bodison, PFC Louden Downey & Lcpt Howard W. Dawson are fine as the two Marines on trial for the hazing death of fellow Marine PFC. William T. Santiago, Michael DeLorenzo, on the Guantonamo US Military base in Cuba. You can see by their actions how dangerous it is to blindly follow orders in the belief that your superiors know better and are always right in what they say.

Watching "A Few Good Men" now, in 2004, makes you think about the prisoner abuse going on now in Iraq as well as he aforementioned Gitmo. Also how those who were ordered to commit those abuses are no more guilty then those in charge of those prisons who gave the orders to commit them. The movie starts with the fatal hazing of a Marine at Gitmo in Cuba and ends with the commander of the USMC on that base losing it in a military court in D.C because of that incident.

We go through the long and painful process of first having those responsible for the deadly hazing arrested tried and then sentenced for that crime. We also see all the behind the scenes activities that led to that crime, as well as those actions after the crime was committed to cover it up.

Seeming to be an open and shut case by the military court Lt. Cmdr. Galloway feels there's more to the death of Marine PFC. Santiago then just a case of simple revenge on the part of Lcpl. Dawson and his friend PFC. Downey.

Together with Lt. Kaffee as well as his assistant Lt. Winberg, Kevin Pollak, Galloway feels that the men in such a tight-nit organization like the USMC would not have committed such an action without the approval or without being ordered by their commanding officers. Galloway goes first to the Marine brig in D.C to interview the accused Marines Dawson & Downey. Then to the Marine base at Gitmo to talk to the Marine commander Col.Jessep to find out if the accused, Dawson & Downey, actions were ordered by a higher up and not done on their own.

Admittedly the ending was a bit over-the-top with the tough and hard as nails Marine Col. Jessep making a complete fool of himself by him feeling that he was above the law and that whatever he did or ordered other to do was in the best interests of the United States. It was very good theater and most of all it worked.

"A few Good Men" also didn't cop-out in totally exonerating the two Marines who followed Col. Jessep's orders by having the majors charges against them of the killing of PFC. Santiago dropped and having them not serve any time in prison but were kicked out of the Marine Corps with dishonorable discharge. Being thrown out of the Marines was a fate worse then death itself for both Lcpl. Dawson and PFC. Downey.

Not a typical Hollywood movie

Author: Tia Chin from Nashua New Hampshire
16 February 2004

Someone stated this was a typical Hollywood anti-military movie. Not so. This movie is about men being told they must do something that they do not beleive in. but must follow a code they are taught to follow.

Taught and retaught over and over. Follow the CODE. Yet, as they come to find out they do NOT follow the code for it's intent. They follow the code for their superiors.

This story line could have a thousand different places, but this was placed in the american military. Their code. If in business, it could have been trading stock, selling funds, trading futures, copyrights, whatever. It just happened to take place within the military framework.

It is a very good movie and I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants more than shoot-em-ups or special effects. Don't expect them here. Just expect real people dealing with a really big problem.

And the one single thing I enjoyed was one of the marines asking after hearing that he would not be in military jail because of his actions was, this is all he ever wanted to do. And because he followed orders without question, he could no longer be a part of where he truly belonged...