IMDb > FernGully: The Last Rainforest (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
FernGully: The Last Rainforest
Page 6 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

An animated masterpeice "Spoilers"

Author: Tricer1447 from Dubuqe Iowa
1 December 2002

This beautiful animated film earned the award it got. It focuses on how the rainforest is in danger but didn't try to be preachy. For example when Zach is carving Cristal's name in, she stoped him "Can't you feel it's pain?" The songs were quite enjoyable. The animation was great and with no offense to the reviewer who was scared by this movie (i no you didn't insult it) I say that you helped me relize something. This movie has a very good bad guy. The demon Hexxus who wiped put the humans out. this gets a 10/10

Classic, and a good lesson for your kids

Author: valloria (valloria@yahoo.com) from NC, USA
12 October 2004

This movie helped my kids learn to have empathy for the world around us. It brings up points about irresponsible practices toward the environment and other living things in a way children can understand. The parallel villains of Pollution and Greed personified in Hexxus, as well as in the humans harvesting the rainforest, is an insightful twist to this animated feature. The personalities of the two lead characters are overshadowed by the vastness of the story, but I can't help but wonder if that is intentional. Don't we all feel ordinary? Don't we all think there is nothing we can do about it? Tim Curry is one of the best villain voices EVER, this is no exception to his work. Robin Williams has used his skills to tell many noble stories, and this is another. I love this movie. So do my kids.

A genuinely meaningful and funny animated movie

Author: lilriverphoenix from Australia
5 July 2004

I love this film, and have ever since I was a child. It is so pure, with wonderfully drawn (and written) characters. The villain, voiced chillingly by Tim Curry is the most effective baddie I've encountered in recent memory. The songs are joyful and catchy, and always bring a smile to my face. Robin Williams is fantastic as the electric (literally) and zany fruit bat, bringing fun and humour to the film. There are some very important messages that are portrayed throughout this film, and this is done extremely well and in a way that is touching to children as well as adults. The animation is flawless, showing a rich and abundant rain forest, and adequately portraying the evil of pollution and logging with dark, seething colours. Hugely recommended to people of all ages, and the soundtrack is worth checking out too. A genuine 10/10 (and I don't hand them out often).

A Treasure, I Love It!

Author: blinkprincess17 from Massachusetts, USA
8 November 2003

This one is 11 years old already?!! "Fern Gully" is easily one of the most powerful and meaningful animated features ever made. With a strong environmental message, beautiful artwork, and an all-star cast, this is really a classic. It is one of my favorite childhood memories.

Little Chrysta (Samantha Mathis), a fairy who lives in Fern Gully, is immensely interested in the "folklore" of humans, who are thought by the fairies to be extinct, destroyed by the wicked Hexxus (Tim Curry) an evil spirit of poison and death. But Batty Koda (the wonderful Robin Williams),a laboratory escapee comes crashing (literally) onto the scene and reveals the truth- humans are alive and kickin'- and also, apparently, torturing innocent creatures and levelling precious forest. While flying through the rapidly diminishing rainforest with Batty, Chrysta sees- a human! Zak, a young man working for a demolition company, is out marking trees to be cut down by the heinous "Leveler" machine. When she sees a tree falling towards him she casts a spell that he will see it- but, not being too sharp in the magic department, she accidentally shrinks him! The two become fast friends, but the hysterical Batty is a bit distrustful- and no wonder, the human scientists shoved about six wires through his poor head, causing him to change mental tracks at the speed of light.

Zak finds himself falling for Chrysta ("the bodacious babe" hee hee, classic line) as she teaches him about her home, the rainforest, and he begins to see how horrible the demolition companies are for ruining such life and beauty. He's got to endure jealous rivalry from Pips (Christian Slater), too! Meanwhile, the leveller has released the terrifying Hexxus from his enchanted tree prison, and he's back, trying his hardest to wiggle his slimy self into the leveller to destroy the rainforest at a quicker rate than ever. It's soon up to Chrysta, Zak, and Batty to stop him before the rainforest is gone forever. It sounds corny, but this movie really is very touching- it's a damn good wake-up call for people who have been ignoring the needs of our planet. How can one not feel something when seeing the horrifying leveller cut down gorgeous tropical flowers and trees, causing poor animals to scatter in fright? "Fern Gully" is a powerful warning- if we aren't careful, we really could lose the rainforests, throw off the entire ecosystem balance of the world, and perish, all of us. Call me a tree-hugger, but like Zak says to his bosses Ralph and Tony at the end, "Guys, things have gotta change."

This is a great one, sweet, fresh and funny. 10 stars. You should see it just once if you never have, and if it's a childhood favorite, give it another spin, you'll love seeing Batty Koda singing his "Check-Up From the Neck-Up" song again!

Good, but a little too different

Author: Jay-231 (c3lornehop@aol.com) from Southern California
3 April 2000

I saw this movie when I was eleven, having been raised on animated films like THE BLACK CAULDRON, THE LITTLE MERMAID, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, etc. My first reaction when I saw FERNGULLY was to go "Huh?" The subject matter just didn't seem appropriate for a kid's cartoon. I mean, this is basically a Darwinian morality play dressed up as something more palatable. But surprisingly, I enjoyed the film. It's steeped in Australian culture and a lot of other elements I won't spoil for you here. This was also one of the first animated films to address an important message, at least in my experience. It's a somewhat disturbing movie, though. Tim Curry is terrifying as the villain and a lot of the film's aspects will go right over kids' heads. But in the end it's a really entertaining and thought-provoking film that proves once again that cartoons don't all have to be about falling anvils and wascally wabbits.

A Conservationalist Little Mermaid

Author: aesgaard41 from United States
22 October 2001

This animated movie reminds me very much of Disney's Little Mermaid. It's main character, Krysta, has enough sex appeal and innocence to attract guys and it's heart warming enough to appeal to kids. The flying sequences are as dizzying as the swimming scenes in "The Little Mermaid," and the bat is almost the same sort of sidekick as the crab. What this movie does have over that one is the fast furious one-liners that Robin Williams did so well in "Aladdin." The movie's message though is forced, as is the over the top presence of Hexxus as some sort of demon or anti-faerie. Why faeries suddenly live in South America, Australia or wherever this film is set is beyond me. The movie is a joy and it does have a rather obvious message to it, but the ending does leave me hanging like a roller coaster ride that runs out of track.

An excellent example of environmentalism controlling children

Author: gasmaskproductionsbooks from Canada
8 November 2014

The only reason I'm giving this the extra three stars is because Robin Williams did a great voice job. Aside from that, anyone with a brain can easily see how this is just anti-pollution propaganda.

You might want to take note on the fact that Crysta, the ever-optimistic environmentally friendly main character, is portrayed as this pretty and kind individual, whereas the polluters are portrayed as corrupt and ugly-looking. So, what will children who watch this think of the employees and owners of polluting factories? What if their parents work in polluting factories? I certainly wouldn't want my child thinking that industrialism and pollution is a bad thing, not to mention that employees and owners of factories are people like everyone else, with families of their own.

Maybe I'm the wrong person to review this movie (I'm pro-pollution and enjoy polluting the environment on purpose). I'm sure my review will get many "unhelpful" votes, but if you're an intelligent person, don't show this to your own children! The plot follows a fairy-like creature, Crysta, and her environmentally aware friends, who try and rescue their home from the Hexxus, a polluting entity bent on destroying the rain forest forever.

You might as well be showing your children a bunch of Nazi 1940's WW2 propaganda because this really isn't much different. Environmentalism is all about control, and movies like this are highly influential on kids. I saw this as a little kid and up until grade seven I believed it was a movie with values, and I believed in the environmental movement. In grade seven I learned a lot about the other side of the issue, the side often ignored. Since then I've been an intentional polluter, and I'm proud of it! My advice? Only watch FernGully for the voice talents of Tim Curry (Toxic Love song is so cool) and Robin Williams, or for nostalgic value, and keep it away from your kids. They deserve much better. And let's face it, little kids won't give a damn about the environmental message in it, they just want to see an entertaining movie and the only entertaining and cool character in it was Hexxus.

Great movie for all ages

Author: mismerize from United States
29 June 2006

One of the best animated films. My kids love this movie. I love it as well. Robin Williams is one of my favorite actors. He is so funny. Great story line with a great lesson in it for all. This movie shows how humans are destroying the rain forest. There should be more movies like this. Something to show people how we as people pollute and destroy things in our world. People throw trash and cigarette's out their vehicles all the time. They throw trash and such into oceans, lakes and rivers. If people don't stop this, we wont have water to drink. A clean place to live. Hell, if an area is dry, they can start a fire with those tossed cigarettes. Acres are carelessly burn down from cigarette's. OH i digress... The movie is a great one and good for kids. Family entertainment!

beautiful!

Author: popamochrie from NYC
17 January 2005

so i was a huge fern gully fan up to the age of six, and then never watched it again. after viewing it recently, the magic of the movie came back to me, as well as a few flaws. on the upside, the animation is lovely and the scenery is very colorful. the message of the movie is also very powerful, especially to a small child. no doubt, the highlight of the entire film is robin williams' character of batty, who is deliriously hysterical (i may even enjoy him more than williams' other animated alter ego, the genie). there are a zillion plot holes and it's a little bland, but overall, fern gully is more than worthwhile for any small child. i give it a 7 out of 10. see it for robin.

Loved this movie

Author: annabeth5 from West Virginia
18 November 2004

I remember watching this movie as a middle schooler. It was an excellent movie then and is an excellent movie now. My children love it. It raises many issues about pollution and toxic waste and the effects they have on society. It also places the blame for much destruction on humans, which is the truth as we destroy our own society by tearing down trees and dumping instead of recycling and saving and a few of those much needed trees and plants.

Robin Williams adds a touch of humor as Bat E. Coda. The character lightens the scare of Hexus (played by Tim Curry). Hexus is a toxic waste (oil, smoke, whatever is harmful to the earth) and is portrayed as a rather frightening character.

A welcome addition to my family and an eye-opener for anyone who watches. Very highly recommended

Page 6 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]