IMDb > FernGully: The Last Rainforest (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
FernGully: The Last Rainforest
Page 5 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

THE most important movie of our time.

Author: drewmeister90 from United States
23 July 2007

OK, so its a G rated cartoon, so what? lets get that behind us.

OK....

I am not an enviormentalist, but this movie is still strong with me, when I was younger I really didn't get it, but now, 10 years from when I last saw it, I dug this out of my old VHS pile, and after watching it, It has left an even more influence with me....now onto the movie itself- Characters are wonderful, story is great for it's time, and it has a very important message that was ahead of it's time. I wwish Zack would of stayed at the end, but he has to do something important, years from now I would love to make a live action verion of this film, to give the story the credit it deserves, because critics called it "preachy", people gave this movie a low rating. But in this day and age where we need to pay attention to how we treat the earth, this movie is the best example of why.

Great!

Author: ichigo_chan_ssj5 from Torrance, California
5 March 2007

I loved and still love this film. I remember this being one of my favorites as a child and I really get nostalgic watching it nowadays.

I do agree with the critics though when they say it is a bit "preachy." Seeing it now, the message is a little too obvious. They could have done better by sneaking in the message rather than BLAM slamming it into your face.

But overall, the characters and what not were memorable. I LOVED Tim Curry as Hexxus. L-o-v-e-d Hexxus lol... My favorite scene was the one where Crysta makes an old tree grow. That was a really impressionable scene. I still remember seeing it in my "Children's Center" daycare as a kid... although I'm wondering if the Ah! My Goddess! film stole that scene or vice versa (a goddess sings in the film and makes a dead tree grow little sprouts).

Great stuff!

Delightful and charming but no great story

Author: kastwy
2 November 2006

I went and bought this tape after a lot of apprehension because I thought it would be childish and ridiculous but when I got down to seeing this movie, I was not disappointed at all. You don't get a good or complex storyline and all the events are pretty much straightforward with no detailed intro to any characters but thanks to some charming and delightful characters, nice animation and voice acting, this film is really something to treasure for a cartoon fan anywhere. I was really not taken in by the songs or the music and the villain comes, gets beaten and goes but even so, there are enough good things about this movie to keep one engrossed for the viewing period and it will not be easily forgotten either.

one great movie

Author: biancak28 from Canada
31 March 2006

OK, i've seen this movie millions of times. i watched it when i was young n i still watch it. i love this movie it is so good. i love the drawings, the songs, the story, the characters, everything. this is a great movie to watch as a family and it doesn't "grow old" because it's just really great. one has to watch it, i cant describe it anymore. it's just really good. oh and plus, if you're a nature person or environmentalist, you would like to watch this movie. i'm also questioning why the ratings are so low. No, this is one good movie.

When I'm bored and need something to do, i would fish this video out and plug it in. It's a movie you don't get bored watching. When you first watch it it's really good. By the time you get older, like me, you don't think of fairies anymore but then when you become a little older still this movie is one that you would love again.

It's really good. trust me, i love it. :D

Fantastic

Author: Voice-of-Discernment from Romania
27 January 2006

Crysta is a teenage fairy, full of spunk and energy. She's always looking for something new and interesting, but she's not really crazy about the lessons her teacher, Magi, gives her... You see: Crysta is the daughter of the fairy-leader, and one day, she will become a leader herself... Seeing the way the fairy is in the beginning, you really pity the other fairies (for having such a future-leader). But everything changes one day, when Crysta meets a human. She never thought humans existed - they were just fairy-tale creatures!!! And she becomes friends with Zak (the human-boy), not knowing that he and his friends are responsible for destroying the forest she lives in; and freeing the evil spirit, Hexxus, who was once imprisoned by Magi and the other fairies in the group...

I first saw this movie when I was three or four years old!!! And I remember loving every minute of it... The atmosphere is great, although the whole thing is pretty short.

The music is fantastic. From the sensual "Toxic Love" tune to the rap song batty sings to the love song that we hear in the background in the cave scene! It's all fantastic, it... "out of this world"! The animation is spotless. There is so much life, both in the characters and the forest around them... Also, the ecological message is pretty strong, and I highly appreciate that. People need to do something to start protecting nature, or else we'll be left without a home!!!

Political Magic

Author: davj292-1 from United Kingdom
16 November 2005

I first watched Ferngully when I was about 8, and I remember loving it it bits. The characters were so fun to watch, sing-a-long with and interact with.

Now 16, I found a copy of it in my cupboard while having a clear out and I just had to watch it again. This time though, I saw the inner story. This film is just so obviously a message from the American government "YOYR RUINING OUR WORLD PEOPLE" and aren't they just right. If this film was to be MORE political, there would have to be American Soccer style banners moving across the screen in the middle of the film advertising bins.

The film was still enjoyable to watch, Tim Curry's Hexxus still not losing its s**t scary look and growling voice. Live On Ferngully

Interesting Concept

Author: ashenyoni from United States
13 March 2005

Ferngully boasts a fairly notable cast and an interesting premise. The film is predictable and the plot is somewhat terse, but the film is not horrid. (Robin Williams as Batty was the most quotable person in the second grade.) The film invokes fond memories of childhood, yet, looking back, it seems rather disturbing. One scene in particular strikes me as vaguely oedipal. Hexxis, a cloud of filth, rises from the smoke stacks of the factory and as he sucks on the smoke stack he grows exponentially and says somewhat sexually, "Mommy's milk." He clearly derives pleasure from his "mother," but he is past the stage where breast feeding is natural. The overt representation of satiation from one's mother, strikes me as shocking. In fact, it is downright unpleasant. Other than that disturbing image, the film is acceptable, and definitely pleasurable, for young children, bothersome for teenagers, and mildly annoying for adults.

Terrifying film

Author: sarasdano from Costa Mesa, CA
27 March 2006

I saw this in the theater when I was nine, and I can tell you it truly terrified me. I can't bring myself to watch it today. That black blob monster of oil/sap that fed on the exhaust from the logging truck was the most disturbing thing I'd ever seen. In general, the film is a bit of a one-sided propaganda piece on saving the environment, but it gets it's message across. Speaking from my reaction from the film, terrifying kids to get them to recycle or save the forest is not the way to go. It's okay for kids movies to be scary, like the slightly disturbing pink elephant dream sequence from Dumbo, but this one really crosses the line.

An excellent example of environmentalism controlling children

Author: gasmaskproductionsbooks (gasmaskproductionsbooks@gmail.com) from Canada
8 November 2014

The only reason I'm giving this the extra three stars is because Robin Williams did a great voice job. Aside from that, anyone with a brain can easily see how this is just anti-pollution propaganda.

You might want to take note on the fact that Crysta, the ever-optimistic environmentally friendly main character, is portrayed as this pretty and kind individual, whereas the polluters are portrayed as corrupt and ugly-looking. So, what will children who watch this think of the employees and owners of polluting factories? What if their parents work in polluting factories? I certainly wouldn't want my child thinking that industrialism and pollution is a bad thing, not to mention that employees and owners of factories are people like everyone else, with families of their own.

Maybe I'm the wrong person to review this movie (I'm pro-pollution and enjoy polluting the environment on purpose). I'm sure my review will get many "unhelpful" votes, but if you're an intelligent person, don't show this to your own children! The plot follows a fairy-like creature, Crysta, and her environmentally aware friends, who try and rescue their home from the Hexxus, a polluting entity bent on destroying the rain forest forever.

You might as well be showing your children a bunch of Nazi 1940's WW2 propaganda because this really isn't much different. Environmentalism is all about control, and movies like this are highly influential on kids. I saw this as a little kid and up until grade seven I believed it was a movie with values, and I believed in the environmental movement. In grade seven I learned a lot about the other side of the issue, the side often ignored. Since then I've been an intentional polluter, and I'm proud of it! My advice? Only watch FernGully for the voice talents of Tim Curry (Toxic Love song is so cool) and Robin Williams, or for nostalgic value, and keep it away from your kids. They deserve much better. And let's face it, little kids won't give a damn about the environmental message in it, they just want to see an entertaining movie and the only entertaining and cool character in it was Hexxus.

Memories

Author: bartlez from Beresford, South Dakota
9 August 2004

I got strep once when i was little and asked my dad to get me a movie at the Library. He brought back Fern Gully. I loved it. But as some ppl say it's easily forgettable.

I requested it every time i got sick Just b/c it's such an awesome sick day movie. Funny(robin williams of course) and it's got morals. I couldn't help but laugh at Hexus too...

About three weeks ago i saw it at a friends house and got an urge to relive some old memories. And well i of course had a blast.

I recommend it to parents...your kids will have just as much fan as i did(get em some popsicles too ;))

Page 5 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]