IMDb > FernGully: The Last Rainforest (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Great Movie

Author: Harley Turner from USA
15 February 2011

I watched this as I was growing up and I loved it. Most of the time,when I try and watch a movie I used to love, it sucks. But this one is different, I still Love it! :) And I've got my little siblings into it as well. Which isn't easy when you have as many little brothers as I do.

It has a great story line and it's easy to understand. It's colorful and being made in 1992 it's amazing for that time. It's still amazing in this year of 2011, even with all of our 3D movies. It's also funny and magical, with well learned teachings. This is a great movie to show your children!

One of the old favourites

Author: Bekii-x from United Kingdom
11 December 2009

FernGully, in my opinion, is one of the few great films that could easily rival some of Disney's work. I watched this film for the first time when I was a single digit in age, and now I'm 19 and can still clearly remember how much it inspired me, and still does inspire me.

FernGully is a children's movie - with a very real, very serious issue not at all portrayed subtly. And I think that's what makes this movie so brilliant. As a child, I watched this film and then thought about it once it had finished. And then I thought some more. No matter that Krysta and Pips and the other fairy folk didn't actually exist, I came to realise that there really were rainforest's being destroyed in my world. That Hexus was portraying very real threats to nature and wildlife - the song he sings during the course of the film mentions some of this - oil, cyanide, poisons and toxic fumes. Towards the end of the film, he's almost frightening - a burning skeleton of smoke and fire, looking very hellish and evil. But it's essential. The fact that Hexus never actually dies sends a clear message - there is no ending. 'Hexus' (toxic waste and the like) could still destroy our planet. His role makes you appreciate that the threat he stands for is so normal for us, and yet spells the end for the world we don't really think about - the deepest rainforest's.

Of course, this film also includes many laughs that will keep kids entertained. The character of Batty Koda, voiced by Robin Williams (always a hoot), was a fantastic addition. I laughed when I was a kid, and I even laugh now. Yet, even Batty has a darker side to his character. I've read some comments here stating that Batty 'had rabies or something'. This isn't the case at all. Batty is how he is because of Humans. The Batty Song - youtube it. It's the craziest part of the film, yet probably one of the most serious. Batty was a subject of science experiments, so he's totally messed up. He's a lovable character, and it's the humans he's scared of, the humans who damaged him. At the start of the film, the fairy's see 'the Humans' as this wonderful race who assisted them in the growth and protection of their home - yet they come to see that wasn't the case at all. Humans have lost touch with nature, and Zach, our hero of the story, goes through the process of realising what his race has become.

I'm aware I've rambled a lot here, but this was a movie that really touched me, and I just hope that children nowadays can overlook the dated cartoon style and really see the messages behind the story. Compelling stuff - would recommend it.

best movie ever

Author: leomamothedevil2 from Canada
13 January 2007

OK. i have always loved this movie. it has amazing songs and memorable characters. my personal favorite is batty koda who is just as funny as can be and robin Williams was an amazing choice for this character.when i was little i couldn't wait till Friday nights when it was my turn to pick a movie and i always picked this one. it has amazing affects, catchy fun songs, a great plot, good lessons in doing the right thing and caring for nature and amazing character development. i can guarantee that if you watch this movie you will laugh, hold your breath and maybe even cry for a love that could never be. the combining of the human world and its affect on nature is true and i think its something we should let our kids watch because without the environment we will destroy our lives. some other title that re great are furn gully 2( 7/10.. if you see this movie rate it on its own context not in comparison to the first movie to which there can be no equal) so dear to my heart(10/10) and swan princess(9/10). i recommend these because they teach great morals and i guarantee that they will love them. for these reasons and many more i think this is the best movie EVER!!!

"Ferngully's great message"

Author: ramflores from United States
6 May 2006

Ferngully is a great animated movie. It helped me realized that we need to help to preserve trees and rain forests to protect mother earth. Next, the film brought a point how pollution and toxic waste ravage our planet, if we let factories and machines destroy nature.The characters especially the fairies showed how compassion and care for nature help us humans to have healthy environment. Finally, this movie was significant and brought a new hope for everyone to understand how rain-forests were critically important in our survival. Ferngully deserved a 100/100. It represent respect and love for living thing. Plus, reminder to love and care for others not just ourselves.

Incredible show,

Author: dux1212 from Canada
29 March 2006

This is an unbelievable show; a true classic. I first watched this movie when I was a young child and thought it was great. Now, about 12 years later, I find myself enjoying the it even more. The story is fairly straight forward and the characters are lovable which makes it great for children. It's an excellent way to help them think about conserving the environment at a young age. However, there are so many deeper meanings in this movie, and I think adults and even teenagers can relate and understand what this movie is really about. At times, the humour is simple, and yet it varies enough to make anybody, no matter what age, laugh. Robin Williams does a great job as Batty.

I feel the FERNGULLY is under-ratted and over-looked. If you haven't seen it and are looking for a creative, memorable movie, you should check this one out. You'll be surprised at the depth and beauty of FERNGULLY.

Used to be one of my favorites

Author: Tommy Nelson from Long Beach, California
11 December 2007

I used to love this movie as a child, and this is obviously meant for children, so I guess kids will like it. However, re-watching it, this is a heavy handed kids movie with too many slow moments and animation too loose for it's own good.

Ferngully tells the story of a rain forest full of sprite like creatures. Their habitat is being destroyed by man, who don't know how much harm they're causing. The villain in the film is Hexxus, a glob of goo who grows larger and larger and thrives off of waste. Tim Curry's performance as this very strange character is what makes the movie. Robin Williams has a real throwaway role as the comic relief bat, aptly named Batty. Though he is a comic relief character he's also there to be preachy, and was previously tested on by humans. Everything in this movie gives a message, and as a child I did not care or understand what the point of this was. Now, I realize how preachy this really is, so it doesn't work on any level.

In the end, this was a short, preachy movie, with some inspired moments....but mostly it was too heavy on it's environmental message.

My rating: ** out of ****. 71 mins. Rated G.

The Last Rainforest so so GREEN

Author: Terence Frederick from India
15 October 2013

Of very late, I was shocked to learn that JC's Avatar got inspiration from this one. A good cartoon movie just above an hour long about a group of magical inhabitants. The message from this non-Disney movie is to save forests from extinction. The enemy (of course) is the environmental pollution is personified as a villain in the movie voiced by Tim Curry. The movie also features voices of Robin Williams, Slater, Samantha, Cheche martin etc. Few demerits in the movie includes the movie length which is too short and because of it there is no way the characters could be detailed. The soundtrack is good with Sir. Elton's voice at the credits. A treat for the children with a vital moral added. Imho, the movie deserved definitely about the IMDb's 6/10 rating and must be at least 7.

Polution is a villain and it has Tim Curry's voice.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
10 February 2012

This movie had a bit of a revival recently because more and more people started to notice and point out, the similarities between this movie and James Cameron's "Avatar", to each other. And it is indeed similar in a lot of ways but to be fair, "Avatar" 'borrows' just as much from many other different movies as well.

This movie actually made me realize how enjoyable and quite good most of the animated movies from the 20th Century Fox studios were. They had a very distinctive style to them and even while they obviously always wanted to be too much like a Disney movie, it still was the studio that produced some of the best and also more enjoyable movies, that tried to compete with the much bigger and far superior Disney studios.

And this movie is quite good as well and definitely does have some great moments and good ideas in it. Unfortunately as a whole the movie is still really lacking.

Part of the problem is that the movie is way too short. Because all of the action is already over after 70 minutes, neither the story or characters ever get developed properly and thoroughly enough. Because of this you also really never start to care for its story or any of its characters. A shame, since the movie definitely seemed to have some good ideas in it.

The whole message of the movie also falls kind of short because of this. It's the sort of movie that tries to make kids aware of their environment and point out the importance of nature and how bad and evil it is that humans are destructing the rain forest. I already disliked these sort of movies as a young kid and it does still annoy me to see how the movie tries to force its message on its young audience, no matter how good and noble its intentions with it all were.

Besides, it really isn't done in a very good or creative way. I mean, making pollution an actual villain, with a face and a singing voice? It was all a bit too weird and plain ridicules to me. It doesn't matter really that he is voiced by the great Tim Curry.

The movie actually does have a great voice cast in it. Besides Tim Curry, Christian Slater, Samantha Mathis, Robin Williams, Cheech Marin, Tommy Chong and Brian Cummings are all doing some of the voices. And really, they also make some of the characters truly enjoyable but most of the characters get pushed far too much to the movie its background, simply because the movie itself is being far too short for each and everyone to have a big role in it. Even Tim Curry as the main villain is hardly in the movie at all.

The animation of the movie itself is pretty good. Both the characters and the background and environments of the movie are pretty good looking. It's certainly not one of those cheap and simplistic animated movies. You could tell lots of time and effort got put in this movie, unfortunately it did not all work out that well. The story- and character development, the music, the songs, its overall message. It's all still really lacking, which makes this a movie you could easily do without.

Really not a bad animated movie but it still has far too many weak points in it to considerer this a recommendable one.

Hi, i love fern gully so much. It is the best movie I've ever seen.

Author: jennyfabillo from Philippines
1 May 2008

Hi, I love so much Fern Gully, it is the movie that I continue to cherish since I was a teener in 1992 and now a mother after 16 years of first watching the movie. I just love fern gully and now I am sharing it with my 5-year old daughter.It is the kind of movie that makes a person realize that nature is very important. It is something that made me realize that as a human creature, I need to take good care of the trees and plants around me. It makes me feel closer to nature through watching a fantasy movie. It appeals both to children and adults.In fact, I had also shared the movie with young children since 1992. I had been through a lot of cities in the Philippines and yet I brought with me my Fern Gully movie. I am don't feel tired of sharing a fantasy movie with a very good lesson to smaller kids who will become the adult citizens of my country. As a teacher I believe that it is my moral responsibility to teach kids of what is morally right especially that of taking good care the nature that our God has gifted us.

THE most important movie of our time.

Author: drewmeister90 from United States
23 July 2007

OK, so its a G rated cartoon, so what? lets get that behind us.

OK....

I am not an enviormentalist, but this movie is still strong with me, when I was younger I really didn't get it, but now, 10 years from when I last saw it, I dug this out of my old VHS pile, and after watching it, It has left an even more influence with me....now onto the movie itself- Characters are wonderful, story is great for it's time, and it has a very important message that was ahead of it's time. I wwish Zack would of stayed at the end, but he has to do something important, years from now I would love to make a live action verion of this film, to give the story the credit it deserves, because critics called it "preachy", people gave this movie a low rating. But in this day and age where we need to pay attention to how we treat the earth, this movie is the best example of why.

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]