FernGully: The Last Rainforest (1992) Poster

One of my favorites
Kristine15 November 2004
When I was a kid I loved this movie, and I still enjoy it to this day. The colors and animation are wonderful. Anybody could enjoy this movie. I don't get the low rating. Robin Williams and Tim Curry have the greatest voices for the film. They both add a lot to the film. I would highly recommend this for a family film. Also just for the kids as well. It has catchy toons, nice animation, and a fun story to tell. Also, another addition is that it does have great morals. So, parents don't have to worry. Whenever I babysit my little cousins, this is a movie I'd let them watch on any day. I wish there was a possibility to get a higher rating. But sometimes you just have to deal with it. I feel like this movie deserves at least a 7.0. We can only hope, right?

34 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Spellbinding
Claire13 August 2004
One of my least favorite experiences is to find a movie I loved in my single-digits, rewatch it in wonder, then wait half an hour (at most) and finally concede that it was a real stinker. I may sentimentalize movies from my youth, but not the ones that really don't deserve my affection.

This one does.

Crysta, a simple, innocent, and at times flippant fairy, is an imperfect but funny heroine, and as genuine as they come. Batty gives Robin Williams another character perfectly suited to his talent -- I watched this movie at a party with highschoolers and he went down great (everyone liked the movie overall, but Batty stole my friends' hearts). He has the genie sassy-but-kind vibe going, and it's hard not to think of him as just as much a main character as Crysta (or more). Zach... well, okay, Zach was unforgivably dumb for awhile, but it was gratifying to see him finally get it. Magi Lune's character was fascinating, a powerful sorceress with just a hint of weakness and sadness (as when she admits of the coming darkness that she "cannot heal it" and "cannot stop it"). She delivers sappy lines and instead of losing the audience emotionally, they resonate deeply. I think this is because the usual sentimentality and condescension you see in kids' movie whenever there's a "message" is totally absent -- Magi speaks her lines with total respect and love for Crysta. It is a deeply spiritual moment.

The animation is beautiful, visual joy; the script is full of entertaining flourishes, and Crysta's father is the most humorous roly-poly befuddled dad since the Sultan in Aladdin. I'm a huge Tim Curry fan, and he doesn't disappoint. But what makes this film stand out for me is how it handles its message.

The entire film is built around it, but it doesn't seem heavy-handed at all. As a kid, I was inspired by Crysta's comeback, and the idea of there being "magic" in all of us. As a teenager, it reached me even more: Crysta learns that, despite her youthful curiosity, real understanding and real power can come when she applies herself, and takes responsibility. In the beginning of the film, Crysta takes Magi for granted (and not too seriously), and there is a hint of rowdy teenager in the way she sneaks off to hang with a boy she likes. But she comes to understand that Magi is not infallible, and will not always be there to take care of her. She realizes that she loves Magi even though the woman can't always make everything alright, and eventually, Crysta learns that she, too, can take care of others. In short, Crysta matures, and it is insightfully handled and beautiful and affecting for me to watch. this, even more than the idea of conservation, is its message: the inspiration to learn that others cannot always help you, and that sometimes other people even *need* you -- the rainforest is really just another charge, desperately in need of help.
47 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A delightful little animated adventure that takes us into the realm nature in a way we don't normally imagine.
schmimic23 April 2005
This movie will always hold a special place in my heart. In my younger days, this is the movie that my sister and I watched over and over and over and over. We thought, and still think, it's a fantastic movie.

So, the plot goes something like this. Deep in the heart of the last rainforest in the world, Fern Gully, live a society of fairies. Peaceful little creatures that spend all day helping things grow and protecting nature. Long ago, an evil force known as Hexxus tried to destroy Fern Gully. But the fairies sealed him in a tree for eternity. At least they thought it was for eternity.

Humans have come back to Fern Gully, and they brought a huge machine with them known as the leveler. The leveler has one purpose. Chop down and process trees. Go figure, this doesn't bode well with the fairies who are trying to protect nature.

Zak is a kid likely in his late teens working for this tree felling company as a summer job. And what a hard job. He walks around spray painting trees so the guys running the leveler know which ones to chop down. Really mentally pressing. Then he goes for a little stroll, and comes across a really eerie looking tree. The tree that, unknown to him, contains Hexxus. An insect starts buzzing around Zak, and he has the brilliant idea that he'll kill it with spray paint. Only in the process, he also paints a nice big red X across the Hexxus tree. In a little while, the leveler gets to the tree, chops it down, and Hexxus oozes out from the wood.

Around this time, while Zak is walking around, he sees some little blue spark flying around. It's Crysta, his soon to be fairy friend. He catches her in his hands, and as a tree starts falling towards him, Crysta yells look out. He doesn't hear, so she says, "Bless your heart with magic might I give the gift of fairy size! Er, sight!" Apparently the first word spoken for a spell is the one that takes, and Zak is three inches tall, just like the fairies.

Zak befriends Crysta, along with her bat friend, Batty (voiced by Robin Williams). The main focus of the movie is the relationship between Zak and Crysta, but also on the potential destruction of Fern Gully as per the wishes of Hexxus.

It's a cartoon, so obviously the fairies are going to stop Hexxus. But it's still a fun little movie filled with some very funny lines, brightly colored animation, and great voice acting.

Bottom Line: 4 out of 4 (own this movie)
34 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A wonderful classic that is very overlooked
Dragoneyed36323 August 2008
I thought FernGully was just so lovable and cute, and I have always remembered enjoying the hell out of it every time I watched it. It was great fun from start to finish and it's rating is a drastic understatement of what impact this simple little film can have on you if you let it.

All the characters were cute and likable, and the story is really different and fresh. I also thought that it was very hilarious at times, and just all around completely entertaining. It was so interesting and fun to watch, and in the end is that not what a film is supposed to do? In my opinion, it is a classic, that needs to be viewed by a lot more people, for how great it really is. Please see it really soon if you are any bit interested in it, because I swear you will not be let down by FernGully at all.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A treasure with a message
kpyatt10 March 2001
I remember loving this when it first came out and I was only about 10 years old. I recently came upon a couple of the books that I had saved of the movie and that got me thinking back on this. I haven't seen it in years, but I just bought it and can't help but love it. I love the visuals, colors and overall look of the film. And of course, Robin Williams as Batty Koda was hilarious. In describing humans, "They walk around like 'Hi Helen!'" I love the message most of all, and it does a good job of representing the greed and destruction of our times through images, actions and dialogue. I especially love how the fairy Crysta is so in touch with nature and its feelings that she can touch a tree and we literally see its energy flow into her. She shows this to the human, Zak, who, like every other human, is out of tune with nature and its feelings. Gradually, though, he too feels it, and all it took was for someone to wake him up to it. That's all it takes for us, too. We needed something like this movie to be made in order to wake some of us up to what we're doing. It may sound cliche or like a lecture, but it's one that needs to be said and for that I'm thankful to Ferngully and the people behind it who believed enough in the message they were attempting to get across. I read it loud and clear.
28 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A well executed ecologistic tale
pkos15 December 1998
Ferngully is an example of how to do an educational movie without being boring. It is the story of an Australian rainforest endangered by human development. Zak, one of the worker of a team that is destroying the forest to build a road is shrunk by a fairy (Chrysta) and introduced to the magical world that he was destroying.

The animation is good, with rich colors and gorgeous visuals of the forest. The characters are well designed and funny, the bat Batty being the most hilarious. The music is nice, too, with modern rhythms that mix well with the fast pace of the movie. The best song is the one performed by the bad guy, Hexxus, a literaly slimy demon, that perfectly represents the greed of modern society.

This is a little gem in the Disney-dominated world of animation. Don't miss it.
21 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another Good Memory.
Yerkman8 August 2003
I saw this maybe three times at different ages. I liked it alot, and KNEW I reconized Robin Williams. At a young age I alway thought "Dude, that guy Zak has the coolest haircut." And untill this very moment, I didn't realise that Hexxus was a demon, or was voiced by Tim Curry.

It's an interesting movie in a large rainforest inhabited by fairies. They think humans are dead, unti a bat named Batty (Robin Williams)shows up. It's two main characters, Zak the human surfer boy guy, and a fairy named Krysta, who shrinks him to her size. The movie has a pretty cliche, but well said point I think, and good plot. The music is great too, and the villan is great,Hexxus, and old demon, but perhapes a bit frightening at times. (Villains are always the coolest)

Basicly, the musics good, the characters are good, the voices are good, the bad guy is good (but frightening and the animation is good. I see nothing wrong with this film, and I recommend it to those who like classics.
20 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A little dated but still has charm
Bifrostedflake21 June 2009
I hate getting a film you loved as a child and watching it as an adult only to find it's completely lost it's magic over time. Having pushed all my videos to the back of a dark cupboard, I hadn't actually watched the film in years until I bought it last week on DVD.

Ferngully has it's problems, some of the songs were written with the days music heavily in the forefront so they haven't really stood the test of time. The overall message of taking care of the environment will seem heavy handed to an adult, although I remember feeling inspired by it as a child.

That aside I cannot vault the voice acting, Tim Curry, Robin Williams, Christian Slater, Samantha Mathis, they all deliver great performances. The animation is terrific and looks very much like Disney movies of the time. The stories hero's are compelling to watch, you really do care about what happens to them as it progresses to the climax, all this is woven together with touching little moments in the animation and a clever and funny set of supporting characters.

Will children today enjoy it? I'd say let them watch it, everyone has their own tastes and preferences and it's no different with children. They'll either like it or they won't.

I'm not sure if an adult who missed it as a child will enjoy it, again I think it depends on the person, but if this was a part of your childhood, it might be worth seeing it again I think it still definitely has a place in my heart.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Maltin-style review
Monkasi24 January 2001
A band of fairies and their human allies must save a primeval rainforest from destruction by a conscienceless lumber company (not to mention a venomously evil entity voiced by Tim Curry). Though basically a Darwinian morality play dressed up in the more palatable medium of a kids' cartoon, FERNGULLY is actually an entertaining and thought-provoking animated masterpiece. Steeped in equal measures Australian mythology and modern-day politics, this movie proves that cartoons need not be about falling anvils and wascally wabbits. Watch out for Robin Williams, who is hilarious as always as a manic bat.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Overall, an entertaining animated film - with its ups and downs of course...
Mightyzebra10 February 2008
It may have a strong message, it may have slightly wobbly animation and it may not be your thing. Like it or loathe it, this film is "Fern Gully: The Last Rainforest".

The ups are good humour from the one and only Robin Williams (who is a bat and sings a brilliant rap song), good thoughts about the environment (as in the way it is in this film), the setting (an Australian jungle - you would think if it was about fairies it would be set in Britain - wouldn't you?), good background animation (mainly jungle and trees), good songs (a mixture, including the beautiful and the not-so-beautiful) and a good message (to be good to the environment).

The downs/flaws is the fact the main character is annoying (yet for some reason everybody likes her) and the film also drags on slightly. Another flaw is the fact that for one half of the film, everything is pretty cool, chilled and like a fun, normal kid's film, then in the second half of the film the tension becomes very heavy and suddenly everything is so precious and beautiful. Both phases of the film are good of course, but the change is too quick and too noticeable. It is like having balanced meals for a week and then suddenly the next week you are scoffing cakes like there is no tomorrow.

The plot is: Most of the characters are fairies and they live in the Australian rainforest. They are very kind to the environment and help things grow. Most of the fairies believe that humans do not exist, but when a bat who has been experimented in a lab tells the fairies of humans, there is one called Crysta (a girl fairy) who wants to see the humans for herself...

Good for children, mainly, who do not care much about the environment, but also for people who like Robin Williams and animation in general. Enjoy "Fern Gully: The Last Rainforest"! :-)
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Delightful!
TheLittleSongbird3 February 2009
This movie is one of my all time favourites, it is just beautiful and very underrated, if a little short. The songs and score by Alan Silvestri,were very good, and some of the comments were unfair. Batty rap was wonderful, with great ad-libbing thrown into the mix. Toxic Love matched the character of Hexxus wonderfully. Hexxus is slimy and untrustworthy, shown perfectly in the song. A Dream Worth Keeping was my favourite song, and was essential for the relationship of Zak and Crysta. The lyrics were beautiful, and matched the animation surprisingly well. The animation was also beautiful, very colourful and vibrant. The forest was expertly animated like a fairytopia. I remember when I first saw it when I was 9 and being terrified of the villain. Speaking of Hexxus, the character was animated by Kathy Ziellinski, who also animated Frollo (The Hunchback of Notre Dame) and the Cobra (Aladdin). The voice talents were excellent too. Zak was a nice romantic interest, and Crysta-one spunky vivacious fairy- was excellently voiced by Samantha Mathis. Hexxus was chillingly voiced by the quintessential Tim Curry, and Robin Williams was hilarious as Batty Koda. As for Magi Lune, I mistook her for Angela Lansbury when I first saw the film, and she is a truly fascinating character. The ending was so powerful and poignant, and I love this movie so much, and I am 16. The film also has a good message and a nice story, that isn't at all preachy. The movie's only qualm is that it is too short, and I would've liked Hexxus to be developed a little more. Other than that, I strongly recommend FernGully, and Once Upon a Forest. 9/10. Bethany Cox.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cute, lively, attractive animation, a bit heavy-handed environmental message.
TxMike18 June 2003
As often the critic Ebert has a good and complete review. Simple story, the fairies live below the canopy of the rainforest, believing all humans have died. A precocious one flies above the canopy, sees smoke and a mountain in the distance, almost becomes an eagle's snack, then goes on a mission to find out what is going on. She discovers humans destroying an adjacent rainforest to make lumber, they are depicted as uncaring blue collar idiot slobs. Her rainforest, Ferngully is next and she must find a way to stop it. With the help of a few friends. The animation is very colorful and very good, and the vocal characterizations are fine. The DVD picture and sound are first-rate, but the only extras are trailers of other films.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Probably The Most Heavy-Handed New Age/Eco Garbage Ever Put On A Kids Film
ccthemovieman-111 September 2007
It didn't take long to spot the heavy--handed New Age--Secular Humanistic-Environmental agenda of this animated film. Hey, indoctrinate the kids early on and they'll buy your propaganda. That's the plan, and the Left, for you. They have a long history of it in film, especially since the '60s.

In just under the first seven minutes, this movie presented its theology about a supernatural (not God) power inside you, all life being connected with "the web of life," the "spirit" of the trees or leaves or whatever is speaking to you, etc. etc. Unbelievable!

I didn't get to the environmental barrage here yet. Hey, there's nothing wrong a decent message about helping then environment but this is absurd. I'm sorry but not everyone in the lumber business is a total moronic, homicidal slob! They are in this animated film! In this movie - I am NOT exaggerated, trees feel pain when they are cut! As I said....unbelievable!

This is the most blatant and ludicrous propaganda piece for little kids I've ever seen and sadly, there was a lot of this crap for over a decade until things calmed down...until "Happy Feet" came along recently with an another example of liberalism gone loony. However, generally-- speaking, you don't see this kind of preaching much anymore which is why animated films are so much more popular today than this "message" garbage.
17 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Enjoyable, but a little bland.
gridoon12 September 1999
A rather enjoyable non-Disney (I think) animated feature. The animation is a little flat, but still colorful. The character are likable, fortunately not in a forced way. The film is very easy to take, but it could have used more delirious comic scenes with the bat that's voiced by Wiliams and less of those bland songs.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
About as enjoyable as animated movies outside Disney get
gizmomogwai11 August 2010
FernGully is a non-Disney cartoon fairy tale about the importance of protecting forests. It is about a human male shrunk to fairy-size; he learns about fairies, their forest habitat, and soon finds a logging crew he was working with is now threatening their home.

I remember watching FernGully as a kid, I really liked Batty (voiced by Robin Williams) and his song. Rewatching this now, Batty wasn't as hilarious as I remembered but he is one of the better characters of the movie. An insane bat with a radio wired into his head by human scientists, he is quite colourful. The other pretty good character is the villain Hexxus (Tim Curry), who also has a catchy song. He's a poisonous being who apparently thrives on destruction. A shape shifter, he too is well imagined.

Beyond this the fairy characters Crysta and Pips (Christian Slater) and the human Zak are kind of flat. One thing that surprised me is how skimpy Crysta's clothes are (they reveal her hips and midriff)- but I'm not going to pass judgement on whether that's appropriate. Besides flat characters, at times watching this I longed for something more adult. The story was clearly aimed at children. At times this story isn't fully developed- why exactly did Magi disappear? Moreover, the animation is lacking compared to Disney films. Still, 18 years after it came out, families will likely continue to find FernGully enjoyable and its environmental message remains important.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Blah
deli58487621 September 2010
Here we go again with yet another preachy left wing propaganda film disguised as a family friendly cartoon used to indoctrinate innocent young kids into their warped world of Marxist secular new age earth worshiping, humanity hating anti capitalist mindset.

Like in all films of this genre, it starts off in a happy pristine village with happy playful little people who sing, play, dance and enjoy every second of their existence until the evil capitalists (aka You) invades and pillages their land and plunders their resources and leaves their once peaceful village into a smoldering pile of rubble and forces them to eat their children and drink their blood to survive. But one of the evil ones has a good heart and befriends the once happy little people and learns about their "enlightened" ways and tells off the other meanies.

This movie was an obvious pot shot at the logging industry (and capitalism) yet I'd love to go to the mansions of the producers, directors, and cast and see how many wood products I can find in their homes and determine how many trees were cut down to supply them with their comfortable lifestyles.

As usual, you're the bad guy who is polluting the earth and destroying the environment with your greedy capitalist ways but not them.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fairies Wear Boots.
dunmore_ego19 December 2010
A corporation is logging the Australian Ferngully rainforest - and the fairies don't like it!

So... conserving rainforests is not to preserve the complex ecosystem and therefore the delicate balance of life on Earth itself. No - it's so FAIRIES will have a place to live.

The film is dedicated to: "Our Children and Our Children's' Children."

FERNGULLY: THE LAST RAINFOREST follows sexy, half-naked, winged, tramp sprite Chrysta (voiced by Samantha Mathis), as she discovers humans in the forest, doing something unthinkable - wearing clothes. And cutting down trees. We are led to believe the humans are killing trees for no reason, but - without advocating senseless destruction - logging is done for a number of reasons, none of which is specifically so that fairies go homeless.

That is the first un-brained message that our children and our children's' children can get confused over in this animated film. (Note that the industrial society that performs the logging is providing jobs and domestic product, which feed and clothe the very same children's' children this movie is preaching to.)

Chrysta's magic old witch friend (voice of Grace Zabriskie) once entrapped an evil spirit called Hexus (Tim Curry) in one of the trees. The logging people unwittingly free Hexus by cutting down his imprisoning tree. (I really shouldn't go into the nonsense behind a metaphysical prison being breached by physical means.)

Hexus then possesses the big logging machine, so it can be anthropomorphized into a snarling beast. And working for that beast, the representatives of humanity - two bucktoothed layabouts who drive the logger and a big blond American idiot, Zak (Jonathan Ward), with arms more muscle-bound than his brain even, whose menial job is to spraypaint the trees scheduled for the axe.

And the headlines read: BIG BLOND American IDIOT SHRUNK TO FAIRY SIZE. (Although film is made by Australian production companies, and although Zak's license says he lives in Byron Bay, Australia, Zak's accent, demeanor and provincial arrogance dub him unmistakably American.) Through a magic spell, Zak becomes as tiny as Chrysta and shares his ignorant human perspectives with the forest sprites, who teach him how to become more forest and less technology. Which is kinda futile, because Zak in no way represents humanity OR corporate interests - I shudder to think that this blond bell-end supposedly speaks for ME. Or anyone with more brain than brawn.

Zak infuriates Chrysta's fairy boyfriend (Christian Slater) by trying to get naked with her, then makes us question how he could harbor those desires when he starts singing nature songs like a fairy, as he is gradually propagandized into a tree hugger. Very noble an' all, but even though he helps grind the Bad Machine to a stop, having his eyes opened to the ways of the woods won't stop deforestation. He is a bottom-rung day-laborer. He has no say in the corporation sending another Bad Machine to replace the one he wrecked. He'll be fired and the logging will continue unabated.

Robin Williams voices Batty, a bat who escaped an experimental lab (forever burdened with an antenna stuck in his ear), who helps the fairies with his usual flap-yapping Williams shtick.

And then the worst crime of all - magic. Final scenes of FERNGULLY show a denuded forest being regrown in minutes through the fairy witch's magic - which undermines the movie's entire message. If our children's' children see a rainforest grown from nothing in minutes, how are they ever going to appreciate it as something precious and rare and hard to regenerate? If a rainforest can be grown instantaneously through Magic, well, why the hell NOT tear it down for homes for the homeless and creating jobs for the economy and then re-grow another one like in the movie?

And the headlines read: FAIRIES MAGICALLY REGROW FOREST IN MINUTES. LOGGING CORP REJOICES - MORE TREES INSTANTANEOUSLY! MORE JOBS! MORE LOGGING!

Moral: As long as magic fairies are so militant about keeping their homes, we'll always have rainforests.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Innocent nonsense?
wharper-416 May 2005
I suppose one could look at Ferngully as innocent guff for young viewers (except for a more adolescent sequence wherein Zak and Crysta get wet together), but looking at this 1992 flick from the perspective of 2005 it seems more like eco propaganda for children. We learn that technology (except for cassette tape players, which are fun) leads to death and destruction, the spirits of wise people are recycled into the living, trees feel pain when cut, research on animals is conducted by wanton brutes and logging companies are on the side of evil. These days, you can pay big money and be taught all theses things at a university. I guess I wasn't too surprised when I read that this movie was released on Earth-Worship Day (Nature good--humans bad.) Robin Williams is funny as Batty the Bat, better than the same routine on fast forward, which he did for the genie in Aladdin (also 1992).
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
100% Propaganda Film
dustinbmagic1 January 2011
Ferngully is a blatant environmentalist propaganda film. Blatant to the point that they make absolutely no effort to hide it.

Beginning the movie, the "fairies" are unaware of the existence of humans - believing them to be only a myth. As they learn that humans do indeed exist, they determine that humans are an entirely destructive force, and decide that any and all wrong is caused by humans. The middle of the movie holds a constant theme of "The HUMANS DID IT! The humans did it!" (in reference to anything negative).

The movie also entirely excludes humans from nature, as anything done by humans is directly stated to be "a power outside of nature". The movie also puts a significant focus on a bat who's song number details his experience as a biology lab test subject for a cosmetics company.

Long story short, the sole lesson to be taken away from this movie is - "Humans are evil and the source of any and all bad things."
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Used to be one of my favorites
Tommy Nelson11 December 2007
I used to love this movie as a child, and this is obviously meant for children, so I guess kids will like it. However, re-watching it, this is a heavy handed kids movie with too many slow moments and animation too loose for it's own good.

Ferngully tells the story of a rain forest full of sprite like creatures. Their habitat is being destroyed by man, who don't know how much harm they're causing. The villain in the film is Hexxus, a glob of goo who grows larger and larger and thrives off of waste. Tim Curry's performance as this very strange character is what makes the movie. Robin Williams has a real throwaway role as the comic relief bat, aptly named Batty. Though he is a comic relief character he's also there to be preachy, and was previously tested on by humans. Everything in this movie gives a message, and as a child I did not care or understand what the point of this was. Now, I realize how preachy this really is, so it doesn't work on any level.

In the end, this was a short, preachy movie, with some inspired moments....but mostly it was too heavy on it's environmental message.

My rating: ** out of ****. 71 mins. Rated G.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't worry, kids! Magic fairies will save us!
Michael Neumann17 November 2010
This eco-friendly animated feature is a children's environmental fantasy about a tropical paradise protected by guardian fairies, one of whom (a cute Tinkerbell look-alike) develops a crush on the first human she ever sees, after helping him mend his ignorant, woodcutting ways. Of course she first has shrink him down to fairy size, in much the same way that the script likewise reduces its message to a basic cartoon conflict between good and evil, with plenty of post-George Lucas mysticism. Some of the animation is fine, if only the film paused show it off; the pace is set to match a TV-ruined attention span, which at least has one advantage: none of the songs is more than 40 seconds long. Parents may feel obligated to drag their kids to see it, but don't be fooled: Ferngully cheats on its ecology lesson by suggesting that the rainforest has magical powers of restoration, which it certainly doesn't, and if we teach our kids to start relying on fairies to save the Earth we're all in big trouble. The best voices are provided by toxic sludge monster Tim Curry and dingbat Robin Williams.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best animated movies ever made with an important message of protecting the Rainforest
Here is another childhood favorite of mine, and still I love it now I am 24 years old. I love it's important message of protecting the rainforest and our environment, without being too 'in your face' obvious; I'm all for green too.

The film starts somewhere in the Australian rainforest, lays a fairy world known as Ferngully. One day, a fairy named Crysta while flying up on the canopy, spies a smoke cloud by "Mount Warning." And hearing from a brain-fried bat named Batty, that there are humans over there, the curious Crysta flew over see the humans. Well Batty was right, there are humans at Mount Warning, and they are logging in the forest! And we get to see the film's protagonist Zak, an ordinary teen working as a lumberjack's apprentice for a summer job. While trying to spray a fly that was buzzing around him with the spray paint to paint an 'X' on the trees, Zak had accidentally painted an X mark on an enchanted baobab tree that trapped Hexxus, the spirit of destruction and the film's main villain.

Upon being discovered, Crysta flees from Zak, who spotted her blue glow. And seeing the monstrous lumber machine cutting a tree shocked Crysta that she forgot about fleeing from Zak, who caught her. Unaware that a tree is about to fall on Zak, Crysta accidentally shrinks him down to her size; because instead of saying "fairy sight" in her spell she said "fairy size!" Then after being thrown from the massive blow from the tree's impact to the ground, Zak gets stuck on a spiderweb on the tree that's just about to go through the machine's tree shredder. Crysta tries to get him off but she can't, until Batty swoops in, grabs them both off of the spiderweb.

And now the adventure really for those two (Crysta & Zak), because once Zak sees the beauty and magic of Ferngully, he vows to save it. But it may be too late, because the logging machine had cut the enchanted tree and Hexxus is free! That's all I could tell you folks, you will have to see the film for yourself how it ends.

So anyway I really love this film, and I love the film's musical soundtrack; truly one of the best animated movies ever made with plenty of fantasy, adventure and humor.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Terrifying film
sarasdano27 March 2006
I saw this in the theater when I was nine, and I can tell you it truly terrified me. I can't bring myself to watch it today. That black blob monster of oil/sap that fed on the exhaust from the logging truck was the most disturbing thing I'd ever seen. In general, the film is a bit of a one-sided propaganda piece on saving the environment, but it gets it's message across. Speaking from my reaction from the film, terrifying kids to get them to recycle or save the forest is not the way to go. It's okay for kids movies to be scary, like the slightly disturbing pink elephant dream sequence from Dumbo, but this one really crosses the line.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
FernGully: The Last Rainforest
Jackson Booth-Millard7 March 2012
I heard about this cartoon film purely because of the great talented actor who provided the wonderful voice of the Genie in Aladdin, and also because this film was meant to be not that great, so I watched it to see what I'd make of it. Basically a race of fairies live in the rain forest called FernGully, they have never seen humans, but they believe they exist from the stories told of time gone by. One day, curious fairy Crysta (Samantha Mathis) flies above the trees, and she notices smoke coming from Mount Warning, and she sees many tree being cut down and destroyed by humans. She uses her magic and accidentally shrinks human Zak Young (Jonathan Ward), one of those destroying the forest, and after discovering the world of the fairies he is trying his best to sway away from his involvement in the destruction. Besides many of the other fairies of the forest, mentally unstable and comical fruit bat Batty Koda (Robin Williams) is unsure what to make of the shrunk human, and fairy Pips (Christian Slater) is jealous that Crysta is closer to him. In the process of destroying FernGully, the humans have released the evil Hexxus (Tim Curry), an oil-like and then smoke driven creature who wants to unleash chaos, and taking over the "leveler" he works to destroy the forest. Of course Crysta and the other fairies discover that Zak was involved in helping to destroy FernGully, but having become fascinated with their world he is determined to help save their home. In the end, Hexxus is trapped inside a newly grown tree, Crysta uses her power to grow Zak back to normal size, and he ensures the fairies that he will stop any other humans coming to the forest to destroy it. Also starring Grace Zabriskie as Magi Lune, Cheech Marin as Stump, Tommy Chong as Root, Robert Pastorelli as Tony, Geoffrey Blake as Ralph and Ace Ventura: Pet Detective's Tone Loc as Goanna. The voice acting is all fine, the most fun to listen to is obviously Williams who creates the laughs, the animation is alright, and the story has some okay ideas that obviously delve into the concept of saving the environment, and the Elton John song "Some Other World" at the end is good, overall it isn't something I would see again, a not terrible but also not great animated fantasy. Adequate!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this