IMDb > Encino Man (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Rad :)

Author: silverstargazer_99 from USA
14 April 2004

Well contrary to popular belief of the male population...i thought this was one of the most brilliant movies of all time...it was hilarious.....insanely rad. I guess I am what you would call a man's girl though. I love movies like this(Office Space, Dumb and Dumber,Bio-Dome).......very quirky...humor that you don't have to read into, very blunt and obnoxious...i love it!...And besides that, Pauly Shore is a god! I must say that this movie is a must see...if you haven't seen it, see it as soon as possible. I must agree with the previous commenter though, most gals wouldn't like it. It's kinda sexist...but that's cool with me, as long as it's funny, and this movie is funny....my favorite part is where they staple Sean Astin to the wall and pull the fire alarm....pure genius folks, pure genius.

This rocks!

Author: Linn from Norway
12 April 2002

Honestly, I love this movie. It's so funny, and it's cute too. And I love the way they kick Matt Wilson's butt... anyone who's ever been, er... not cool, knows exactly how Dave feels. Brendan Fraser seems to have a "thing" for that "tribal-man" thing, huh? He's great though, he makes me laugh every time. And Sean Astin is brilliant, you really feel sorry for the guy. As for Pauly Shore, don't even get me started! He ROCKS! They all do, the film is just great!

Definitely a Shwoop!

Author: LegolasGreenleaf2000 from Mirkwood, Middle-Earth
21 January 2002

Oh my gosh! This is such a funny movie! I mean, I have to totally give it up for Brendan Fraser! It is so not easy acting so wild! I mean, how many of YOU could do it? That takes skill! Also, this movie is soooo flippin' funny! I mean, it isn't my fvorite, but I would love to see it again! A total 10 stars baby!

The best 'man' movie ever made!

Author: Christopher Smith
2 September 2001

This is the type of movie I like to call a "man movie" because I think that it is one of those movies that will just appeal to men and I think that women will hate it, but that's just my opinion. Other movies that I consider to be man movies include HEAD OFFICE, SPY HARD, and OFFICE SPACE. Anyway, I first saw ENCINO MAN on UPN one Saturday afternoon and I loved it. Since then, I've probably seen it about ten more times on TBS. It's absolutely hilarious. Pauly Shore is great in it. I know many people would disagree with me here when I say that I think that it was one of the best movies of all time. I can't wait to buy it on DVD. Warning: Avoid the 1996 made-for-television sequel, ENCINO WOMAN. While ENCINO MAN is one of the best movies of all time, ENCINO WOMAN is one of the worst movies of all time.

Brendon Fraser Rocks!

Author: lebosquer from New Zealand
11 February 2000

What an awesome movie.Good story line.Cool characters and extremely funny.I did not find one part at all boring.A movie that you could watch again and again and this movie should be watched by everyone. And if you like this movie watch The Pest. Cause you'll love that too! 10/10. An Excellent movie.

I loved this movie!

Author: JamesC17 (j17c82@hotmail.com)
28 December 1999

The start of the movie was a bit boring, but eventually it picked up pace and became a really great, entertaining, funny film. Pauly Shore did an excellent job. The chemistry between Shore, Astin, and Fraser was quite apparent. I recommend everyone who likes funny, fun movies see this at least once. Mainly, teens should go see it because it is a great teen movie.

A fun time.

Author: LebowskiT1000 from Escondido, California, USA
9 October 2003

"Encino Man" is just an all around fun, silly movie with some good comedy and numerous quotable lines. The story behind "Encino Man" is very simple, it's about two friends that find a frozen caveman in their backyard while trying to dig a pool...then the caveman wakes up from his frozen slumber. Yeah, it's a silly plot, but it's all in good fun.

The characters in the film are great, as is the acting on all accounts. Brendan Fraser plays the title role of Link. Brendan has very few actual lines in the film, mostly just grunts and sounds...but nonetheless, he does a fantastic job with the role. Sean Astin plays Dave Morgan, the main character, who desperately wants to be popular, but has yet to be discovered. Stoney, Dave's best friend is played by Pauly Shore, a guy who is content with himself and really doesn't care for popularity. Megan Ward is Dave's love interest in the film, and looks nothing short of fantastic throughout the film. And finally there's Michael DeLuise, as the antagonist, Matt, Dave's arch-rival. There's also a few notable supporting cast-members. Robin Tunney ("Vertical Limit", "Empire Records", "End of Days") in one of her first roles, Patrick Van Horn ("Swingers"), Jonathan Ke Quan ("The Goonies", "Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom"), Rose McGowan ("Phantoms", "Scream", "Monkeybone", "Ready to Rumble") and Jack Noseworthy ("Breakdown", "U- 571", "Event Horizon") all fantastic actors rolled into one comedy.

All in all, this is a great film. The cast is great, the characters and acting are great, and the story is silly, but good at the same time. There's even a few somewhat touching scenes here and there. If you like any of the actors mentioned above, be sure to check this film out, or if you just enjoy a good, silly comedy, this is the one for you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Thanks for reading,

-LebowskiT1000

Still Funny in 2016!

Author: amee921 from USA
14 October 2016

Seriously though this movie is great and I have even been watching with my kids, they love it. It's a great thing when a movie is funny over and over. All characters are well played. Pauly Shore is a wonderful comedian playing a high school student with Brendan Frasier which is in full caveman mode in this movie. Just the funniest. I promise you will laugh at something in this. One part my 9 year old loved was when he is dancing in front of the TV near the beginning when he first melts from the ice. It is hilarious.

I wish they had made a sequel even though I am not sure that could be as funny.

Are cave men smarter than late 20th Century teens? Uh, duh....

Author: mark.waltz from United States
2 May 2016

It took a pre-historic earthquake to bury him in ice, and it took the pre- cursor to the Northridge quake to unleash him from his frozen coffin. Brendan Fraser is at his zany best, putting Sean Astin and Pauly Shore to shame in this teen comedy that quarter of a century later now becomes a very guilty pleasure. The ideal of L.A. valley teenagers remains unchanged from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" days, stereotyping California teens as seemingly eternally high, more stoned than the man from the stone age. Fraser, aka George of the Jungle, really is a blast from the past, and this time, he's not coming out of a bomb shelter.

"Some of us pump and some of us slump" is just one very clichéd piece of dialog, spoken by one of the bullies who tapes Astin to the school wall. Back when "selfies" was considered a dorky thing (with good reason), Astin takes one of the threesome, from a Polaroid no less, giving the predictable sight gag towards Fraser involving the flash.

My teem years were a period of my life that I am glad to be way past, and in seeing this, I am glad they didn't involve Southern California trends as seen here. Fraser speaks little except to speak in a grunt phrases spoken to him, but he is an absolute comic gem. So I can say that there is a lot to be amused by, but it has the i.q. level of a blank c.d. case. Stereotypical uncool adults look on perplexed by Fraser's behavior, although Mariette Hartley makes for a pretty cool mom. All in all, not bad, but without Fraser, this wouldn't be going in any time capsule.

Only Brendin could do it

Author: richspenc from United States
9 March 2016

One thing Brendin Frazer can pull off better than anyone else is his Tarzan style yell. He did it here, he did it well in 'George of the jungle" while swinging those vines, and he even did it with his friends in "School ties", always in a good, non annoying way, where you knew he was just a cool guy having fun. Now Sean Astin and Pauly shore in this movie are not cool. They're highschool lo-sers, as Pauly Shore said it. Pauly Shore was a popular MTV personality back in the early 90s when this movie came out and his " ma-jor" speech style was his thing. Anyway, Pauly and Astin are digging a pool in the back yard, just wishing it would bring them prom dates and popularity. So far, they've been far from it. Getting harassed by the bully and ignored by the pretty girls including Robin (Megan Ward), Sean's crush. Robin and the bully are at first, going steady (the pretty girl and the bully are going steady at the beginning of most highschool movies). Then, Sean and Pauly dig up, bum-bum-bum-bum, the caveman! Actually, just a large ice cube with a body in it. How an ice cube has been able to stay just a few feet underground in 70 degree southern California weather for a hundred thousand years without melting is just a tad bit beyond me. Anyway, Sean and Pauly let it thaw for a day. A primitive, non speaking, filthy, yelling man starts running around making a mess and breaking things. Then Sean and Pauly clean him up and dress him, and he (Brenden) then ends up somehow looking and acting cooler than Sean and Pauly. They bring Brenden to school, and he slowly starts getting them more positive attention from kids, including the girls. Brendon even defends the bully from Sean. I know all of this seems quite unbelievable and totally unlikely, but this movie was not meant to have been taken seriously. Its supposed to be a quirky, fun joke of a film. The film does not completely escape bad scenes. One scene, during drivers Ed, Brenden is driving and makes the car tilt over and drive on both right side wheels for the longest time. Yeh. Then, there's a dumb scene in a bar with some drunks acting rowdy and the police busting it up, with everyone in the bar managing to escape getting arrested except the main characters. This movie lacks any ma-jor surprises. Do Sean and Pauly get their pool ready in time for the prom? Do they get prom dates with their desired girls? Does everyone come over to their pool after the prom and now find Astin and Shore cool? Does a bear s*** in the woods?

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]