IMDb > Crossing the Bridge (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Crossing the Bridge More at IMDbPro »

I love this movie

Author: Charles_Bronson from United States
17 March 2004

I learned of the great movie that was Crossing the Bridge around 2002. It is one of those good movies that are rarely ever aired on TV. Josh Charles, Jason Gedrick and Stephen Baldwin make the perfect team. The three main characters are like guys we know in real life and went to school with: One type who played ball and was popular with the ladies, the hot head who would always pick a fight and then there is the guy who has dreams of love and making something of himself.

The guys are three years out of high school and cruise around in their Buick which they call "[the] War Wagon". They then learn about a drug run scheme that was brought to light by a dope head [David Scwhimmer]. Aside from that, the movie has some laughs and some cool characters that you can relate to. Well worth a watch. I hope this movie comes on DVD soon!

One of the Best Period Pieces Around

Author: firebreak9 from Austin, TX
9 May 2002

1970's Michigan- Mike Binder's "Crossing the Bridge" is such an effective encapsulation of that time and place that you might have to check the credits to make sure this movie wasn't made in 1975. This film was among my favorites as a teenager and has a tone that's somewhere in between All the Right Moves and the string of Coppola/SE Hinton films of the early 80's. Stephen Baldwin (in his best performance), Josh Charles, and Jason Gedrick, are three suburban Detroit buddies two years removed from high school. The dynamic and dialogue between the three actors superceeds the plot, none of which I will give away here. All in all, this is a great movie with an intangible quality that cements it the category of my all time favorites. Definately one to check out.

youthful friendship means so much...

Author: one star from Boston, MA
3 September 1999

I remember watching this movie in English class, during my senior year of high school with great fondness. I sat next to my best friend and we loved every moment of this movie. As I sit here and think about it now, I realize that our appreciation for this film had probably very little to do with the fundamentals of good movie-making (ex: acting, direction, musical score), but can instead be attributed to the fact that it displays friendship in one of its purest forms. The film is an illustrated test of loyalty, and what being friends as an adolescent is all about. It made me appreciate my best friend that much more, and in the end, I left class feeling a little bit better about being a kid.

Crossing a bridge as an allegory for a more important transition

Author: Havan_IronOak from NYC/FL
25 August 2001

Bridges have always been symbolic of transitions, whether from a major to a minor key, from Canada to the US, or from adolescence to adulthood. This film is about those transitions. It seems that all men have stories about when they `came-of-age', about the person they were then and about the friends they shared their lives with. This is another of those films.

This one had a particular resonance for me, as it's set in Michigan in the mid 70's. I lived in Michigan in the mid 70's and have been across the Ambassador Bridge many times. It was also interesting in that I had just seen `Threesome' in which Josh Charles plays a character in love with Stephen Baldwin's character. Add to that, the great songs of the period, that brought back so many memories and the unexpected appearance of David Schwimmer in an early minor role and this was an unexpectedly enjoyable movie experience.

If stories about young men coming of age and becoming the person that they will later be are enjoyable to you then I can highly recommend this movie.

My favorite movie :)

Author: Breaker-4
18 September 1999

I first saw this movie on TV late one night. I was about to turn off the TV and go to bed at a decent hour when I heard the opening lines, "this is the tale of the War Wagon"...It grabbed my attention and as the movie progressed, I sat in rapture. This is an excellent movie with good acting, good actors and good directing. The soundtrack is full of hits that fit right into the plot and strengthen the setting, like any good soundtrack does. This is one of those "life" movies that ranks right up there with "Breakfast Club" and "The Diner"...check it out if you ever see it in the video rental store...

Good Movie

Author: Willie-12 from United States
13 September 1998

This was a very good movie about friendship and loyalty, and what can happen when you decide to put everything on the line. It teaches a very good lesson about life, and climaxes at a moment of truth where the characters will make a decision that will determine the future of their lives. I suggest this movie to anyone who can enjoy a movie that might not have necessarily been the biggset blockbuster of all time, but was real and genuine, and about real people in the real world.

Ambassador Bridge, baby

Author: Doug Galecawitz (dougg@evilnet.net) from Lisle, IL
26 December 1999

This movie is pretty cool. I rented it because it's the only movie filmed in Winsdor, Ontario. Winsdor happens to be a favorite road trip destination of mine, and I even smuggled a little Canadian beer and some cubans back with me so this movie reminds me of me and my two friends. The acting is good enough, and I didn't think of Jason Gedrick's role in Heavenly Kid until the credits role. This movie really speaks to me, it's characters are a few years removed from high school, their hobbies are fighting and drinking beer and there's this nostalgia thing throughout. I give it 9 out of ten now. Maybe in 10 years that will change.

Okay movie, but HUGE plot hole

Author: bitbangr from Garden Grove, CA, USA
4 August 2002

Overall, even though there wasn't much originality in the story, the movie managed to hold my interest and was somewhat entertaining. However, there was what I consider a huge plot hole that sort of makes the whole movie seem ridiculous. The plot involves the protagonists having to make a tough decision as to whether or not they should go through with a drug courier assignment that is going awry. So of course, they are caught between making some "easy money" and the risk of facing some serious jail time. WARNING, possible small spoiler coming up...

After they've delivered the money and accepted the drugs, now they are getting cold feet about whether or not to risk trying to cross the border with the drugs (don't worry, I won't reveal what their decision was). All they seem to be concerned about is getting busted, losing their courier fee, their friendship and loyalty, etc. However, the BIG thing that they totally don't even take into consideration at all is this: if they don't deliver the drugs, aren't the dealers, who are waiting for the drugs, going to be pretty darned p***d off?!?! The dealers have paid a suitcase of money, so if they don't get their drugs, the young buddies would presumably be hunted down like dogs. This whole angle is not even mentioned!!! These guys should be more worried about this danger than losing their courier fee which is chump change compared to what the drugs would be worth to the waiting dealers. Am I missing something here?

Great 70's coming of age film

Author: Bruce Hanson from United States
7 June 2008

This film has a lot of charm and compelling characters. I grew up during this period and think the film captures well the spirit of the times and the way people talked. The soundtrack couldn't have been better chosen and adds a lot to the nostalgic feel of the film. What's especially fun for me are the film locations- Minneapolis is standing in for Detroit in most of the scenes. The river hangout scene is very close to where I live now and the high school fight scene took place at my alma mater. Great themes and character development. I think everyone can identify in some way with the characters in this film. There are only a couple of weak scenes which do not significantly detract from the plot line or characters.

I'd recommend this movie if you want to help teens learn some values in life

Author: reesy2 from United States
18 November 2005

Decent coming of age story about three guys (one is a thug) who learn the value of doing the right things in life even if it's inconvenient. I watched it solely because a couple of my favorite wrestlers were in it though I didn't know how long their part was or what their part was. I knew it would be bit parts since they were listed in the credits as Senior # 1 and Senior # 2 or something like that. They were Jerry Lynn and Sean Waltman. I was right about their roles. They were small but what disappointed me was that they were two of the pioneers of extreme style wrestling and instead of being asked to use their talents they (well, Jerry)...got the crap beat out of him. Sean jumped on the back of the guy doing the beating but poor Jerry even got his face smacked into the fender or bumper of a car. Now I know he seems to thrive on pain in the ring but that is ridiculous! Maybe that was his first experience at ECW (extreme championship wrestling.)

A side note is that one of the lead characters, Mort, looked very familiar. He portrayed Knox Overstreet in a similar movie that was infinitely better, Dead Poet's Society. That film basically had the same message. It's time to grow up and take responsibility for your actions. That's a message I do promote.