IMDb > Like Water for Chocolate (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Como agua para chocolate

Like Water for Chocolate More at IMDbPro »Como agua para chocolate (original title)

Page 12 of 16: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Quiet poetry on the screen

Author: (sldubose@bellsouth.net) from Columbia, South Carolina
24 November 2001

Novels that employ magical realism, i.e.the weaving of magic into the fabric of everyday life, are hard to film. The director must hope that the viewer will take that leap of faith, will embrace the idea that magic can happen in the most mundane places and occasions. "Like Water for Chocolate" is the story of frustrated love that takes place on the Mexico-Texas border during the Mexican Revolution. It is beautifully acted and filmed. If you are willing to take that leap of faith, if there is a little bit of poetry still left in your soul, if you still believe in true love, "Like Water for Chocolate" is ultimately satisfying. (I recommend watching it in the original Spanish, even if you don't speak a word of the language, as English is too prosaic a language to convey the poetry and, yes, the magic of the story.)

Like Water for Chocolate is a wicked comedy disguised as a love story.

Author: Cyndi from Oakland, California
23 November 2001

When you break it down into its constituant parts, Like Water for Chocolate is not the best in any category. I can name many movies with better writing, acting, cinematography, etc. But as a whole it grabs me and doesn't let go. I hate most Hollywood sentimental pictures and this is definately not one of them. All the parts are quite good but I can't explain why, when you put them all together, they turn this into my favorite movie of all time.

Like Water for Chocolate is a wicked comedy disguised as a love story. Anyone who looks only to the surface is missing the whole point. It's high camp combined with some of the most passionate lovelorn characters you'll find anywhere. By not taking itself too seriously, the movie leads the viewer deeper into the pain of loss and denial that is at the heart of these characters.

The book is definately worth reading as well. And includes recipes!

This is one of my favorite all time movies.

Author: Mira8 from Philadelphia
16 August 2001

I still can't watch it all the way through without crying. Here are some hints: If you insist on judging this film by American standards, you will hate it. You won't understand the poignancy, subtle conveyance of deep emotion, the repressed longing, the beauty and sadness. You won't get the complex NON-cartoony characters. And boy, you REALLY won't get the ending.

IIf your idea of a good romantic film is the typical Hollywood drek (i.e., anything starring Julia Roberts), pass this one by, because you just won't get it. Unfortunately I see this advice came too late to many of you. Here's a hint for the future - better avoid Marquez, too.

True treat for dreamers

Author: Makac from Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 April 2001

A warm, passionate story full of dream-like fantasy - just like water for chocolate. If you don't like chocolate don't bother viewing - not because the movie talks about it, au contraire. But you do need extra sensitive touch and inner sunshine to truly enjoy this movie, and that is known only to chocolate lovers. My personal favorite about this movie is that it is the closest thing to G.G.Marquez that I've even seen on silver screen.

FINE STORY AND PERIOD PIECE

Author: Mitch-38 from Houston, Texas
14 January 2001

*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS* Good story of traditions and customs that get challenged in modern times. Through the use of metaphor, a taut script, history and excellent camera work, the story evolves around the youngest daughter of a tyrannical farm running mother. Instead of being allowed to marry the one she truly loves, she must stay single to take care of the mother, as this is the youngest daughter's traditional destiny. The mother is a stern, rigid and unpleasant woman. The prospects of escaping fate for the heroine of the story is bleak. The atmosphere and story is sometimes weepy, sometimes humorous, but always attentive to its leading protagonist.

This may be the first time in cinematic history that onion cutting was the catalyst, for such a terrific movie.

Very good movie with an actress of particular likeness

Author: Yonhap S from Philippines
18 December 1999

First off, let me say that actress Lumi Cavazos (who plays Tita in this film) looked so much like my country's actress, Nora Aunor (from the Philippines) whenever she makes certain gestures (especially when she's staring).

Now for the story, it is a little slow but it was engrossing and interesting. The subplot with the effects of Tita's cooking may not be realistic but it's really to show her emotions. Anyway, it's not shoe-horned in a way that it detracts the story's run. Watching the film, made me think that maybe the American movie, Simply Irresistible may have taken some inspiration from this one.

The verdict: 4.5 of 5 stars.

Juicy romantic comedy

Author: mneur from netherlands
25 September 1999

A welcome relief from the average Hollywood comedy. Set in the Pancho Villa era, taste the dry sweet air of the mexican plains in this romantic comedy. Well acted and entertaining plot. Make sure to be well fed before viewing, the recipes are truly mouth watering.....

good cooking, some good humour and a lot of kitsch

Author: Martin Riexinger from Freiburg, Germany
2 September 1999

Stuffed green peppers with walnut sauce alone do not make a first class movie. Nevertheless, the idea to combine the art of cooking with the plot of a film has never been set in schene in such an original way as in this one. But this does only partially compensate for the clich'e ridden plot: the Cinderella-relation with an evil mother and the story of unsuccessful love and the pseudo-religious solution at the end. Was it not for the cooking, some comical scenes and some great pictures of Mexico, it would have been a rather average, sentimental movie.

Oddly compelling

Author: Tito-8 from North Bay, Ontario
4 April 1999

On the surface, this is the kind of film that I should not have liked. After all, the storyline is somewhat silly and at times unbelievable, and even after seeing it, I cannot point to anything that really stands out as particularly good. Yet after having said all that, I still found this to be a great film. There was something about it that drew me in and kept me interested and entertained throughout, and I can't really explain what exactly it was that had this effect on me. But even though I can't accurately articulate what was so good about this movie, I still strongly urge you all to give this thoroughly charming film a chance.

Worth renting

Author: anonymous from virginia
21 February 1999

"Like Water for Chocolate" more than earned its favorable reviews. Lumi Cavazos did a stand out job as Tita, among other notable performances. Ignore the people who say it's a terrible film. You'll find far more people who speak highly of it than those who disparage it.

Page 12 of 16: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]