IMDb > Class Act (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Class Act More at IMDbPro »

Very fun movie!!!

Author: superadde69 from Sweden, Stockholm
7 December 2002

I love these kind of movies when there's a mix with awesome music and funny scenes at the same time. Sometimes you almost cry for yourself. I think, the director has put a lot of effort in this movie by combine different things with each-other. And that's what makes movies so funny. The movie is great and cool though it could have been better if it hadn't so short scenes all the time. I mean when they had the competition of witch school who was the smartest. If it was longer it could have been funnier. It's like something happens all the time at many places.

If you see the movie sometime, just don't miss the great thing about it. Give it a try at least. I know you will be satisfied enough.

A vastly underrated movie

Author: Brad_Will from United States
11 February 2005

I've never understood why this film is regarded so poorly, even to the point of being dissed on "Martin." While it doesn't measure up to the first two "House Party" films, it's certainly better than most people give it credit for.

Both Reid and Martin deliver excellent performances, but Martin really shines as Blade Brown, the hood with a well-hidden heart of gold. Lamont Johnson, Thomas Mikal Ford, Karyn Parsons, and Alysia Rogers provide solid supporting roles.

What impressed me most about this film was the obvious chemistry between the cast members. While I expected it between Reid and Martin, I was pleasantly surprised to see it between Johnson and Ford, Reid and Rogers, and Martin and Parsons.

I'd say that this is a must-see for Kid 'N' Play fans. For non Kid 'N' Play fans, it can be a fun diversion with some wonderfully funny scenes.

Funny comedy

Author: DunnDeeDaGreat from Woodbridge, VA
24 October 2002

Class Act was a funny comedy when released in 1992. Kid & Play conuntied to make good comedy and are good comedic team. Doug E. Doug in an early sidekick role was alos very funny. My favorite scene in the movie is where Duncan is confused about slang and Blade has to explain it to him. I personally feel the filmmakers should have maybe gave Kid the Blade role and Play the Duncan but all in all still a funny movie.

Excellent!!

Author: Ghostface26 from Dominican Republic
10 June 2007

A Very Funny Movie!..with an excellent soundtrack, and remind me the good times with Kid N Play!...

This Movie should have better rank, i recommended this movie to see with all the family and have about 1 hour and a half of fun...

If you want a trip down memory lane to the flamboyant culture of the early 90's, and a reminder of how it was at school during those terrible teens, then this comedy with Kid n Play and a few other familiar faces ('Doug. E Doug' who went on to do Cool Runnings) ('Karyn Parsons' - Hilary in Fresh Prince Of Bell Air) (Pauly Shore who plays the unforgettable role of the hippy) this film is a good watch.

Excellent Movie!...

Brings back memories

Author: Unbreakable27 from United States
10 March 2005

When this movie came out I was just seventh or either grade.

I can say with all honesty I was probably a mix of Duncan Pinderhughes and Blade Brown.

Academic, but didn't take no crap off anyone either.

My wife and I sat down and watched this one when it came on cable a few nights ago.

It's extremely funny and original in plot.

I don't know why this movie was met with such poor regards.

So much so that Kid N Play have been banished from public eye pretty much. Some people view these guys as fads, their time came and went, but I think they just didn't get the credit they deserved. Plus they rapped about things on a positive note, when rap was taking it's harder, more thug based turn. The last acting appearance of Kid was the extremely small part he had in the Temptation's biopic in 1998. Play has left show business and is a born again Christian so I hear.

The entire chase scene in the wax museum is hilarious.

The thing I thought was funny was the every major character seemed to have their own "entrance" song.

Wedge, Damita, Blade...everyone had their own tune whenever they came on screen.

Something "Friday" would later borrow from.

Extremely funny and worth a view if you want to travel back to a time when rap was about a little more than killing, smoking and getting "crunk".

Why isn't this movie on DVD yet?

Author: Newsense from United States
28 April 2009

I'll never understand why this movie never got a DVD release while terrible comedies(like anything produced by Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedberg) get released and the Blu-ray treatment. Life can be harsh sometimes. Class Act is one of the fond memories I have of the 90s.

If you don't already know this movie details The misadventures of Duncan(Kid of Kid N Play) and Blade(Play of Kid N Play). These two get mistaken for each other after in accident in the office and crazy hijinks ensue.

The funniest scenes would have to be when Blade is teaching Duncan how to be hip. Meshach Taylor is pretty funny as Duncan's father who thinks that Duncan might be a little sweet. Every time Wedge gets beaten up I laugh and when Rhea Pearlman(who plays Blade's teacher) was hitting on Blade I almost lost my breath laughing so hard. Yeah, its easy to think about what would happen if the mistake had never been made but that would have made for a boring movie.

Class Act is one of the funniest movies of 1992 and the fact that it isn't released on DVD while movies that everybody knows are horrible are released on Blu-ray is a crime. I recommend this movie to anybody that's a fan of 90s comedy. 100% funnier than the garbage that passes for humor these days.

Still a hip teen comedy after 15 years

Author: Jon Marin from United States
28 January 2007

1992's Class Act was hip hop duo Kid N' Play's first and only movie together that wasn't part of the House Party series. Duncan Pinderhughes (Kid) is a straight cut bookworm and Blade Brown (Play) is a troubled teen fresh out of jail. The two start high school under weird circumstances when they're school records are switched. Pinderhughes ended up being placed in a class of roughnecks while Brown went to the more established honor roll classes. When they learn of the mistake and confront each other, they try to use the mishap to their advantage to straighten out their problems. For example, Pinderhughes, because he was nonathletic, needed to pass gym and Brown just needed grades in general. From there on the film is one big laugh riot. The culture clash between the two plays off great on screen. Pinderhughes is used to finer things in life (classical music being one), he has great manners and is usually around kids of his own intellect. Meanwhile, Brown grew up in a rough environment and the streets definitely gave him the tough and mean persona we see. Usually films like this don't really do well with age and they're seen as "90s comedy". But 15 years later, scenes from Class Act are still being talked about and laughed at. It also helps that it is shown on HBO and BET a lot these days. Class Act is a refreshing comedy and has definitely stood the test of time.

Class Act - *** out of ****

My all time favourite.

Author: Dennean2006 from United Kingdom
2 January 2007

This is my all time favourite film, so I am slightly biased! The reason I love this film is the moment in time it encapsulates & the comedy throughout is very funny. For me early 90's culture was an intriguing time. From the brightly coloured attire to the strong soundtrack. From Plays car 'Lucille' :)to the rib tickling examples of high school life which everyone can relate to in some form or other. The plot is easy watching, it just rolls along nicely.

There is an error in the car chase scene which I spotted. Play drives the car into the back of Minks Jaguar & crumples the front of 'Lucille' however in the next scene the front of the car is restored to its former glory :)

Dope movie

Author: misscinny_6 from Amsterdam
25 July 2011

This movie is dope!! I love love love this movie!! this movie gives me flashbacks:) In the past there where a lot op this movies. And I really miss this so very much.... This movie is dope!! I love love love this movie!! this movie gives me flashbacks:) In the past there where a lot op this movies. And I really miss this so very much.... This movie is dope!! I love love love this movie!! this movie gives me flashbacks:) In the past there where a lot op this movies. And I really miss this so very much.... This movie is dope!! I love love love this movie!! this movie gives me flashbacks:) In the past there where a lot op this movies. And I really miss this so very much....

GREAT !!

Author: DIE HARD-4 from Stockholm, Sweden
4 June 1999

I loved this movie !! It's funny and heartwarming, and the soundtrack is great, just like the entire movie.