IMDb > City Hunter (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sing si lip yan

City Hunter More at IMDbPro »Sing si lip yan (original title)

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Totally ridiculous, totally entertaining!

Author: rutt13-1 (rutt13@yahoo.com) from IN, USA
20 June 2001

I think this was the first "true" Jackie Chan movie I've seen...I was blown away by the stunts and fighting, but wow, this is ridiculous! I love it!!!! It's very bizarre, and really colorful. More or less, it's "Under Siege," but with Wong Jing's typical "anything goes" goofiness! A lot of people I know hate this, but I absolute adore this live-action cartoon...I guess you just have to be of a certain type to enjoy it...and oh yeh, it has the finest selection of great-looking women I've ever seen in one film!

Jackie Chan As A Comic-Strip Private Eye

Author: gerry-21 from gerrytwo@msn.com
25 May 1999

Jackie Chan plays a womanizing private eye known as City Hunter in this Wong Jing directed movie. The movie is played for surreal laughs part of the time. But with Wong Jing at the helm of this comic strip of a movie, that is no surprise. When you watch this movie, you realize that Jackie Chan knows how to pick stories and direct himself better than anyone else.

I saw this movie on the Media Arts DVD released in April, 1999. The Japanese manufactured DVD has subtitles in 8 languages, including English and Spanish. The aspect ratio is 2.35 and the image quality is very fine.

Chan the Man

Author: gurghi-2 from Lexington, Kentucky
18 January 1999

This movie is, so far, not available in the U.S., except on imported laserdisc (which isn't subtitled, unfortunately). A few years ago I had the great pleasure to see, as part of a week-long run of Jackie's films at a local revival house, a subtitled print.

Some movies feel like they're funneled straight into your bloodstream, and this was one of them- everything about it was/is electric. Not your typical Jackie; there are some great stunts and, of course, some terrific fighting, but the movie is distinguished by a formidable cast and outrageous gimmickry.

(A year later I rented the laserdisc, watched it sans dialogue- still quite enjoyable.)

Of note: a fight on the cruise-ship theatre, one which mimics the Lee/Kareem scene in "Game of Death" that's playing on the theatre's screen... Jackie becoming the 'Street Fighter' characters in rapid succession (don't ask, it must be seen to be believed)... the Gambit-like card dealer... a couple of twins who could best be described as the Asian answer to Kid N'Play.

Refreshing also are the villains, stereotypically white one-and- all. Nice change of pace after so many movies with Asian baddies.

Not Jackie's best but his most sheerly FUN movie!

Author: DrLenera
29 September 2003

Loosely based on a Manga,City Hunter is by no means Jackie's best on an artistic level. However,it might very well be his most sheerly entertaining.

Although the plot is similar to Under Siege,the similarities end there. City Hunter is played almost entirely for laughs and manages to be consistently funny throughout while having more inventive ideas in 20 minutes than all three Austin Powers movies put together. Director Wong Jing {the same Wong Jing who made Naked Killer and God Of Gamblers!}absolutely crams the film with sight gags and slapstick,all filmed in a bright cartoon-like manner. One sequence involving Jackie being chased around a ship while hunting for food is an absolute masterpiece of silent-movie style comedy. Many of the best gags are very quick,such as Jackie crawling out of a bag hardly bigger than his head. Some are extremely sexist though,such as the woman holding a gun and falling forward because of the combined weight of the gun and her large breasts {this happens more than once}.

Despite all this City Hunter still manages to be crammed with action scenes,except of course in this film rather than simply staging a fight in a cinema we have Jackie taking guidance from an on-screen Bruce Lee! A Streetfighter sequence where the characters morph in to various game combatants has to be seen to be believed and the end showdown between Jackie and Richard Norton,although not one of his best in terms of martial arts technique,is easily his funniest.

Add some great characters,a terrific score,and for the male viewers,some gorgeous Hong Kong 'babes',and you have 90 minutes of sheer,non-stop FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two thumbs up, and hunting you down in the city, like a City Hunter

Author: Thomas Hardcastle from United Kingdom
15 June 2008

I like this film. I was already familiar with the City Hunter animé, which to be honest is even more risqué than this Wong Jing offering.

Jackie Chan is hilarious, but in a slightly different way to his usual comedy persona. You have to remember when you watch this film, that you're watching a live action cartoon. This will allow you to take this film with a pinch of salt, and in so-doing you will not take it too seriously.

There is plenty of action in this film, kung-fu included, mostly because Jackie Chan plays Ryu Saeba. The fighting is terrific, and once again hilarious, as you see big, mean baddies reduced to comical fighting roles, rather than the more serious bleeding, and sweating, then dying roles.

Chingmy Yau is in this film, looking gorgeous, as usual. She is given more license than most women in Wong Jing films to be independent, and not to be a hot idiot, but essentially, she remains a hot idiot.

I particularly enjoyed the nod to Bruce Lee in this film, when Chan is forced to fight two massive bad guys in a cinema.

Overall, this is a fun film. Chan fans will enjoy it. City Hunter fans will enjoy it. Wong Jing fans will enjoy it. Non-fans of the aforementioned may not enjoy it, and women's lib chicks will find it insulting and degrading to women, but to be honest, they need to get a life and get into the goddamn kitchen to make me something to eat!

Bad movie with some great sequences

Author: kenandraf from Honolulu, Hawaii
1 July 2001

An attempt to create a live Anime comes up short due to careless handling but the movie delivers on a couple of action sequences which will be one of the best of all time in the comedy/martial arts genre particularly Chan's fight scenes and the hilarious live re-creation of the Street Fighter video game!Chan is very game in his perfomance but the director just tries too hard to get comical/cartoonish behaviour.The director could have done much better with much less overkill and better soundtrack.The musical number also was torture and that one I recommend you fast forward.This movie is only for die hard Chan fans and big martial arts/comedy fans who know both Anime and Hong Kong style humor......

A comedy with action

Author: ebiros2 from United States
1 December 2011

Based on a comic by Tsukasa Houjo, City Hunter was made because a Japanese fan mentioned to Jackie Chan that he looks like Ryo Saeba.

Ryo Saeba (Jackie Chan) is asked to bring back Seiko (Kumoko Goto) back to Japan. On their way back, the luxury liner carrying both gets high jacked by gangs. Ryo, Seiko and others battle the gang inside the luxury liner.

The movie is made to appeal to both Hong Kong and Japanese audience, and actor Joey Wong who was popular at the time in Japan appears as Ryo Saeba's girlfriend. Kumiko Goto who was popular in Japan at the time also appears. All star cast of Richard Norton, Leon Lai, and Chingmy Yau also appears to appeal to audiences in both countries. There's a comical scene where characters that looks like the Street Fighter appearing in fight scenes.

This movie is bit different from other Jackie Chan movies, in that body exploitation with many men and women in their swim suit appearing, and overt comedy is part of the story. But the fight scene between Richard Norton and Jackie Chan is pure Jackie Chan movie.

Many people say this is the only Jackie Chan movie that doesn't work, but it is an entertaining movie with some good action spread in between.

Fantastic

Author: oscarman007 from Ripon CA
20 April 2001

This movie was great. I ordered this movie and wasn't sure if I was going to like it, but I did. I also thought there wasn't going to be enough martial arts scenes, but I was wrong. There is lots! Even the humor made me laugh, and Hong Kong movies don't usually make me laugh. The fight scene between Gary Daniels and Jackie Chan is incredibly funny. They transform into characters from Street Fighter 2! I was also very impressed with the ending fight between Jackie Chan and Richard Norton. It is a good length, and well choreographed. I also liked this movie because it had all sorts of types of action: Explosions, fights, good gun play, etc. I have scene over 30 Jackie Chan movies, and this is probably my favorite. I suggest you buy City Hunter!

Take it for what it's worth!

Author: shirow-1 from Mauritius
27 March 2004

***CONTAINS MINOR SPOILERS***

City Hunter is a manga/anime about a detective named Ryu Saeba, known for his addiction to women and his strange ways of solving his cases.

In 1992, Jackie Chan set out to adapt the anime to make a film out of it, and a wonderful film his attempt turned out to be! First of all, City Hunter (the anime) fans should bear in mind that although the protagonist _is_ Ryu and all the C.H. trademarks are obvious throughout the movie, this is a rather loose adaptation of the anime, as it does not follow its plot.

On the other hand, this movie has everything you'd want in a Chan movie, from a couple of great fights to exceptional and unique stunts, without forgetting that dose of humor Chan has gotten his fans accustomed to with a slight difference.This difference being that this movie is possibly one of the craziest, most hilarious movies I have ever seen, even coming from someone like Chan. Many of the scenes are priceless, such as Chan's fights against the two giant-like guys while a Bruce Lee movie is playing in the background.

Jackie Chan plays the role of Ryu Saeba superbly, which is a very good thing considering most of the guys range from downright horrible to merely average, with the exception of Leon Lai who gets away with murder because he's Leon Lai. Thankfully, the villain is no other than Richard Norton, and one of his sidekicks is Gary Daniels, who grants us a couple of nice fights against Jackie.

And while the story has been obviously loosely tied together, the stunts are breathtaking and a few scenes just have to be watched! This includes the infamous Street Fighter scene, which single-handedly destroys Van Damme's pathetic flick.

I swear, I was literally rolling on the floor laughing my ass off when Gary Daniels appeared as Ken Masters (and believe me, I don't think any other actor than Daniels would have played that part so well - hell, the guy didn't even need any make-over to resemble Ken), complete with that awesome music. Nor could I believe my eyes and ears when, amidst the voice-over directly taken from the game, Gary/Ken proceeded to pull the equally infamous Hurricane Kick. Chan as Chun Li is even more hilarious; just watch him mimic her win poses and you'll understand.

The final fight against major kicker Norton is the craziest duel I've ever seen in a movie, even coming from Chan, although it's somewhat lacking in the martial arts department (but this was done on purpose). It's not often you see the two fighters literally crying like babies while still kicking each other's guts. Again, it's a must see!

Overall, City Hunter is maybe a weird movie, but bear in mind that this is an anime adaptation we are talking about. As such, Jackie Chan's City Hunter is a great effort, marred only by the atrocious acting of many of the secondary actors. People who don't know what anime is like won't probably love it though. On the other hand, City Hunter fans will cherish the DVD. Street Fighter fans will adore it just for that one scene - and that's saying a lot!

Score: 9/10

totally bonkers and all the best for it

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
26 June 2013

This is silly. This is ludicrous. This is like 80's-style Troma comedy here. Very stupid, a lot of juvenile sex jokes and oggling at breasts (which, at one point, turn into hamburgers for the starving Jackie Chan character, Ryu Saeba, the 'City Hunter'), and it finally reveals its plot about or more than halfway into the movie as a (intentionally?) lame die-hard ripoff only this time on a cruise ship and a casino where wacky musical numbers and James Bond-esque card games ensue.

Yes, it's all of these things. Plus it's a Jackie Chan movie, a classic- style Chan flick. Which means all put together, it's a tall glass of guilty pleasure shake with a side of HOLY CRAP JACKIE CHAN CAN DO THAT?!

The movie knows exactly what it is from the start as Ryo explains how he is taking care of a little girl that was left to him by a dying friend (already its silly as the dying man speaks normal one second, dying next), and then the girl grows up. Yeah, she's a character, but that's not the sorta story here. Loose as possible, and a lot of twists happen so that it gets to that cruise ship: Ryo is hired by a guy to bring his daughter back home. She sneaks on the ship, Ryo follows, and wackiness ensues with a bunch of terrorists (many of them in red jumpsuits not unlike the Foot from Ninja Turtles), and the main bad guy is not even a take on the Die Hard villain but rather the Die Hard II villain, complete with solo work-out in a bedroom. Holy biceps and pectoral muscles Batman!

This whole thing with City Hunter, down to its name which does get a theme song and ala Black Dynamite, is a live action cartoon. But if you're in the mood for it, if you just wanna wind down with something that does not take itself seriously for a nano-second, this is where you can go. Oh, and while the Jackie Chan action isn't there completely from start to finish, when it finally gets into it in say the last twenty, twenty-five minutes, it's approximately what you'd hope for: daring, high-flying, magical really. What could this guy NOT do for his art?

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]