IMDb > Captain America (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A Disappointment

Author: jonathon_naylor from Manitoba, Canada
5 September 2004

Superhero movies are again a hot property thanks to the big screen adaptations of Spider-Man, X-Men and Superman. As such, many film buffs who know little or nothing about Captain America have no doubt been picking this one up at the video store. Too bad nothing but pure crapulescence awaits them.

Where to begin? The movie has a dim look to it; the acting is second-rate; and the action and battle scenes are few and far between. It will disappoint most die-hard comic book fans, perhaps as much as those silly 1970s Cap films were. On a positive note, the action scenes aren't awful when the viewer finally gets to them. As well, the characters stay pretty true to their illustrated roots, and kids aren't going to be nearly as fussy as adult moviegoers about this one.

Salinger treats it seriously

Author: Dando83 from United Kingdom
10 September 2000

Unfortunately, this is not the Marvel movie that will endear you to comic book movie adaptations. However, I think Salinger gives an honest performance as the title character, even if he spends more time out of costume than in. For whatever reason, the Red Skull is made Italian, rather than German, but it didn't bother me as much as it did some other viewers. For being a B-movie, Captain America is tolerable. Watch it first, before you make any judgements. You might be able to suspend your disbelief long enough to enjoy it.

Comic fans beware.

Author: Squonk
5 January 1999

I've never read a Captain America comic book. But I don't have to to know that any fan of the comic won't be too pleased with this film. Matt Salinger does his best with a lousy story. Captain America doesn't even finish one mission before he's frozen in ice, only to be thawed out 50 years later. The Red Skull is the villain, but in most of the movie he looks like a guy with acne problems. However, we do learn that the Red Skull had a hand in the JFK assassination. How Oliver Stone missed that lead is beyond me. The Captain's super powers seem to be limited to throwing his shield and faking car sickness. On the positive side, at times the film does have the feel of a 40's serial. I would've liked to see that carried out, but the film never decides whether to be serious or kind-of-corny. Instead it just ends up being boring.

Batman Has Nothing To Worry About

Author: aesgaard41 from United States
1 March 2001

You really have to be a fan of............oh what the heck, this movie just plain stinks! The costume looks horrible, too many liberties were taken with the characters and the plot lurches forward badly. It basicly starts out with a few minutes in one place, a few minutes in another, a few more elsewhere......you get the idea, and then all these separate incidents gradually and slowly lead to one single plot. MST3K's Pod People was easier to follow ! Few good things about this, Matt Salinger looks enough like Steve Rogers should, but is hampered by the lousy script and implausible plot. The culture shock he has returning home after too many years is done fairly well, and the Red Skull seen at the top of the movie reminds me of a cross between Freddie Kruger and Jason Voorhees. This movie could have been so much better set entirely in WW2 with the opening scene of Hitler screaming at his generals, "I could make that bellboy a better leader than any of you !" That is from the mythos of the comic book. After the opening credits, we should have seen the process of Rogers becoming the hero who goes on to fight the Red Skull, who through most of the movie should have been spoken of and referred to, but not seen. This movie needed that sort of impact, the indication of the sort of evil the Nazis represented, but as it is, it's just one big car wreck on the "to-do" list at MST3K.

What could have been the start of a potentially great franchise

Author: DarthBill from United States
20 April 2004

Half-way decent adaptation of the classic Marvel comics character, which many people either love or hate. Most of the half-way decency the film has it derives from star Matt Salinger, the son of over-praised asshole writer JD Salinger. In a role that could have been made comical or just plain bad by many other actors, Matt manages to imbue the character with an authentic feeling of sincerity similar to what Christopher Reeve gave to Superman and often missing from other actors in superhero films. Had this film been left with a bigger budget and gotten a big theatrical release it could very well have made Matt Salinger a star, or at least establish his name and allow him some leverage to pursue other roles in bigger projects like Helen Slater after the endearingly classic disaster "Supergirl" (1984). Actually I think both Dolph Lundgren and Arnold Schwarzenegger, respectively, were both considered for this role, but it's just as well that they didn't get it, seeing as how their accents would have worked against them playing this "All-American" hero. Although Arnold's name on the picture might have gotten it a theatrical release instead of going direct to video (a similar fate befell Dolph's "The Punisher").

After Steve Rogers gets pumped up by the super soldier serum he becomes Captain America and gets into a disastrous first mission that ends with him getting his ass kicked by the Red Skull, who straps him to a missile pointed at the White House. Cap narrowly manages to cut off the Red Skull's hand and wrecks the missile so that instead of hitting the White House it lands in the Arctic and freezes him there, but not before he is spotted by a little boy who grows up to be President Ronny Cox. When Cap thaws out, he finds that much has changed while he's been gone, like his old girlfriend and her now adult daughter. He also finds out that the Red Skull is still alive and still out to conquer the world. Naturally, Captain America catches up with the Red Skull and beats the crap out of him in turn ("Stop calling me your brother!") before saving the world.

The guy playing the Skull is ineffectual, but he's got a nice looking daughter. Again, the real saving grace here is Matt Salinger's sincere performance as the title character, but even that can only do so much against a weak script and boring villains. Still, I enjoyed this film and I feel that fans deserved a chance to see this in theaters. And now I hear that Brad Pitt wants to play Captain America! Oh the shame...

This is the Best B-movie i've ever seen!

Author: Dave (phantom2099@hotmail.com) from Puerto Rico
19 May 1999

You can't take this film too seriously. Like almost every straight to video movie. Its a B-movie! i mean come on the only thing that didn't make it a b-movie was a sex scene and they probably cut it out. The film had the feel of an old forties flick. The plot was pretty insulting though but it did capture some horrors of WW2 maybe not very well but somewhat. it was an insult ot all Cap fans to have Cap basically screw up his first mission. The Red Skull only looked decent in ONE! count it ONE Scene. The rest of the film he looked like a freak! please come on people HES THE FREAKING RED SKULL!!

Tin Man sorry to say but you insult Dean knootz by comapring his work with this garbage. its a B-movie! i've seen worse really. the acting was ok i suppose but the script didnt go anywhere and had more plotholes than the streets by my house.

not bad

Author: johnc2141 from United States
14 March 2010

i know many will disagree with me but i thought 1990s captain America is not a bad movie,true it could've been better but so far it fares better then the others.as far as the new one i don't know yet but having seen the serial and the TV movies its better.there's a good cast including Bill Mumy,Micheal Nouri,Melinda Dillon,Ned Beatty,Darren Mcgavin,and Matt Salinger as Steve Rodgers aka;captain America.and character actor Scott Paulin as the red skull.there is some great fight scenes and the shield throwing was done well.and there is a sexy beautiful femme fatale played by Francesca Neri.many marvel comics fans bailed on this movie which bombed at the box office and went to video.the budget was low but the movie is a 7,which means it was not bad,but not great.the forth coming one should be good.i don't want to give away any spoilers but its really worth a viewing.not sure its on DVD yet but i know its on hulu.com.

Costume costume costume...

Author: David (Bykrscout@aol.com) from Bengala
13 October 2001

Say what you will about this movie, the Captain America costume in it and the shield was amazing to watch. the costume designer faithfully recreated the costume and did a wonderful Batman like thing with the cowl. I own the Matt Salinger cowl and tunic from the movie and I assure you they are works of art. The movie? Well, thats another subject. I think if I didnt have pieces or props from the movie it wouldn't seem as interesting to me....but some of the eyeball candy in the movie is worth it. I just despised the physical depiction of the Red Skull...they could have done so much more with the make up...instead it looks like a bad Darkman rendition.

Captain America: The True Comic Film

Author: The-Canadian from Canada
12 May 2005

To many people bash this movie, and personally, I think it is one of the most faithful adaptations I've ever seen from anything to screen for this time period.

THE BAD: The red skull's look at the end of the movie wasn't really all that crappy... it just wasn't the red skull... I have to admit they did take their time to get where they were going in the middle of the movie.

THE GOOD: The good greatly outweighs the bad in this film. Matt Salinger does a perfect rendition of Steve Rogers/ Captain America in his childish "gee whiz" kind of way. The Red Skull's make up in the first half of the film is breath taking, and Scott Paulin (with a great assist from the script) gives more character depth to the Red Skull than I've ever seen in the comics. The opening half hour rushes by with grace, ending with a fantastic battle inside a Nazi stronghold, and the climatic battle between Cap and the skull at the end is also unbelievable. And don't get me started on the "Pull over. I feel sick." parts of it.

OVERALL: One of the best comic films out there, even after seeing some of today's, it's the perfect adventure for the whole family!

So Bad It's Good

Author: Topher007 from Seattle, WA
10 August 2001

This is one of the great bad movies of all time. The thought that someone even made this movie makes me laugh. I love it. Don't look for any greatness here just dumb dumb fun. A movie to laugh at not with. This movie had such a cult following that although it's not listed here, and I have yet to see it, there was a Captain American 2. I really must get my hands on that.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]