IMDb > The Bodyguard (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Bodyguard

The Bodyguard More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 13: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

one of those touching films adhesive to the mind

Author: (daviddaphneredding@att.net) from United States
5 August 2013

In this Mick Jackson-directed film from Warner Brothers, which was produced by Lawrence Kasden, Jim Wilson, and one of the two main stars...Kevin Costner..., the issue of interracial relationships is addressed; while that is a matter now tolerated but not totally accepted, even though it is much more frequent than it used to be, this movie presents it as a situation which can be warm, so much so that the sometimes-negative attitude toward it does not "stick out like a sore thumb", to employ a favorite cliché. Kevin Costner is in one of his best roles as the secret service agent, Frank Farmer, who is hired to protect Rachel Marron (played by Whitney Houston in her movie-acting debut), but neither has any idea that there will be love between them. In the movie Farmer does not beg Rachel Marron to be protected by him when the independent Marron is often hostile toward him, but that changes and then, again, love develops between them. Bill Cobbs and Ralph Waite do well in their supporting roles. The color is beautiful, so much so that the northern part of this country, with its snow-capped mountains is, in turn, beautiful and refreshing, and the ocean bordering Miami Beach is drawing and refreshing. There is plenty of exciting action, a bit of mystery, and, obviously, warm romance. Whitney Houston is her beautiful self as she portrays her consummate singing ability through such songs as "If I Don't Have You", as well as a signature song "I Will Always Love You". Because of all its trappings, the movie is one that could never be easily forgotten.

Love/hate...

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
21 September 2011

The Bodyguard is an example of a movie that isn't for everyone. I personally didn't either love it or hate it, I was overall kind of eh on it. The dialogue is cheesy, the characters underdeveloped and lacking subtlety, the pace drags in the middle and the story makes little sense. However we do have some good cinematography, locations, costumes and editing, credible direction and a great soundtrack including the haunting And I Will Always Love You(and it will always be the best version no matter how many Huston wannabes try to sing it and end up murdering it). The acting is fine, Kevin Costner is good and Whitney Huston is more than credible in a role that showcases her beautiful voice excellently. Overall, The Bodyguard is a love or hate it sort of movie, but for me my reaction was mixed. 6/10 Bethany Cox

An Outstanding Movie!

Author: FAITH4 Sammy from United States
21 September 2009

This was definitely a good movie.Everything a movie fan could ask for is in this movie. Excellent actors and actresses, a good plot, and outstanding music came from this movie. Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston made this movie. Kevin Costner plays the role of a bodyguard assigned to protect a rock singer well played by Whitney Houston. He of course saves her from several close calls. In the meantime a close relationship develops between the bodyguard and the singer. In the meantime an evil person is always lurking nearby to do the singer harm. This proved to be an excellent movie that was entertaining to watch. You will not be disappointed.

Very good, but...

Author: pnay75-1 from Paris, France
9 January 2003

Lawrence Kazdan has written a dozen of memorable films and directed some of them ( 'Body Heat'(qv) is among the very very best films noirs ever ). Here he selects the hate of Nikki for her extremely successful younger sister as the basis of his plot. Why not ? But difficulties arise when it comes to explain how a girl without connection with the underworld can get the services of a gun for hire. Kazdan tries it thus : full of guilt over the unwanted near-death of her nephew, Nikki confesses that ,-though so drunk as not to remember the name of the bar she went to -, she made enquiries and got in touch with a go-between , and hired a killer (perhaps the best one in the States, by the way!); and she paid the whole price (a quite sizeable sum ) in advance - when she could have been so easily swindled . The confession is conveniently stopped by the yapping of the watchdog; and immediately after, she is ( also conveniently ) bumped off when trying to stop the killer ... But " The Bodyguard " being a very well made and entrancing film, the foregoing shortcomings of the plot appear only long after the film has ended . The cast is quite satisfactory : I am not an unconditional fan of Costner's, but he manages well enough, and has some powerful chemistry with Whitney Houston; she is quite convincing in her movie debut, and her voice is a marvel. And all supporting actors are well selected , including reliable veterans Bill Cobbs and Ralph Waithe, and intriguing Tomas Arana. The film made quite a pile of money, but apparently did not help the career of its director, Mick Jackson.

Kevin Costner's pain of losing his dream almost stops him from another.

Author: Keith A. Young (amasterblaster) from Williamston, SC
4 July 2000

Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston made love seem so simple and magical. One who had everything and one who lost everything combine to make a perfect romance. Love does overcome. A movie worth watching more than once or twice.

Whitney Houston shines in this role

Author: smatysia (feldene@comcast.net) from Houston
10 December 1999

For a non-actress, Whitney Houston shines in this role. I just don't see the reason for all the criticism found in the comment section. Maybe I'm just blinded by her beauty. I haven't seen her other films. Her voice is, of course, pure gold. Costner, like many leading men, plays much the same character in many of his films, and does it well. The supporting cast was excellent, the direction non-imposing, and the photography good. The only real criticism I have is with the script, Rachel falling for Farmer so fast. I gave it an 8.

Greatest Film

Author: anonymous from Glasgow, Scotland
25 September 1998

I just love this film. Kevin Costner played a very dramatic role and Whitney Houston also showed many of her talents in acting and singing superbly. The music was outstanding.

Superb

Author: Tom Spearman from London England
16 March 2006

Just watched this movie for the first time in about 8 years, and my god, I've fallen in love with it all over again..... Superb Superb Superb.

Whitney is great in a debut role, Kevin strikes the right balance of being detached, yet oh so involved, and those surrounding "Rachel" play the superstar entourage very well.

Yes, there are some flaws, but only minor ones..

I'm off to dig out the soundtrack and imagine what it would be like to fall in love with my bodyguard, should I ever get one !

Oh, and wouldn't you just love to see a sequel or a remake !

Great Whitney Houston movie!

Author: Catherine_Grace_Zeh from Fairfax, Virginia, USA
17 November 2005

THE BODYGUARD, in my opinion, is a great Whitney Houston movie. One of the greatest things about this movie, in my opinion, is the music. I thought that Rachel (Whitney Houston) sounded really good. My favorite song of THE BODYGUARD is "I Have Nothing." Also, in my opinion, Frank (Kevin Costner) was really attractive, strict, a good bodyguard, and business-like. I thought that Rachel looked very beautiful in the dress she wore to the Oscars and that Frank looked good in the tuxedo he wore to the Oscars. Also, if you ask me, he and Rachel made a really cute couple. In conclusion, I recommend this movie to all you Kevin Costner or Whitney Houston fans who have not seen it. I absolutely guarantee you you're going to enjoy it.

Not as bad as the voters think.

Author: The_Orenda from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
15 February 2005

You know, I was looking at IMDb's database on romance and was pretty stricken to see that not only 'Vertigo' was rated a romance(!), but five of the top twenty were written around and before fifty decades ago. Ghost? Nope! Dirty Dancing? Ha! Try 5.3. Titanic? 9100 votes gave it a 1. Ever After? Female votes have scraped it up to a 7! Wedding Singer, Pretty Woman, GREASE of all movies. Modern romance has been beaten to a pulp, but even though the same conventions of romance movies exist in The Bodyguard, I'm not one of those people who hated it.

After missing out on Reagan's assassination attempt, bodyguard Frank Farmer is now working for-hire. When a singer hires him after she gets death threats, conflicts begin but feelings follow.

The Bodyguard plays out your basic romance and resists the urge to jerk any tears. I don't think the actors could pull it off though. There's a point in the movie, when they realize their romance, when their reactions don't make any sense, but afterward everything about the movie plays out like it should and it's well made! Although I believe people are rating the movie on what has happened to Whitney Houston in recent years, they should judge it for the performances themselves and that means it's not bad.

Page 9 of 13: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]