IMDb > The Bodyguard (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Bodyguard

The Bodyguard More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 13: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Not as bad as the voters think.

Author: Robert Deschenes (ace_kalibur@hotmail.com) from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
15 February 2005

You know, I was looking at IMDb's database on romance and was pretty stricken to see that not only 'Vertigo' was rated a romance(!), but five of the top twenty were written around and before fifty decades ago. Ghost? Nope! Dirty Dancing? Ha! Try 5.3. Titanic? 9100 votes gave it a 1. Ever After? Female votes have scraped it up to a 7! Wedding Singer, Pretty Woman, GREASE of all movies. Modern romance has been beaten to a pulp, but even though the same conventions of romance movies exist in The Bodyguard, I'm not one of those people who hated it.

After missing out on Reagan's assassination attempt, bodyguard Frank Farmer is now working for-hire. When a singer hires him after she gets death threats, conflicts begin but feelings follow.

The Bodyguard plays out your basic romance and resists the urge to jerk any tears. I don't think the actors could pull it off though. There's a point in the movie, when they realize their romance, when their reactions don't make any sense, but afterward everything about the movie plays out like it should and it's well made! Although I believe people are rating the movie on what has happened to Whitney Houston in recent years, they should judge it for the performances themselves and that means it's not bad.

Beautiful movie

Author: (swift_heart29@hotmail.com) from Fairborn, Ohio
15 March 2004

I have to say this was and still is one of my ulitmate favorite romantic movies. The soundtrack is amazing! The scenery is beautiful, the plot is great, and the characters are just what you want to see. Kevin Costner is a great actor and I thought Whitney Houston did a great job acting in a part similar to her own life very well. Viewers might hate that she is so spoiled and selfish and that's a lot of the reason why her sister seems so quiet and kind of like a slave to her whim. Kevin's character you take to heart, since he is a great worker and does his job as he should. The scene that they know they have fallen in love is so beautiful and well acted that I will remember it forever. You look for a great scene in every movie and there were a few in this one as well, but I don't want to give it away for those that have not seen it yet. The ending made me cry when I first saw it and still makes me cry, it's just tragic that not all loves end up the way they should. I'd rate this a ***** out of 5!

The Way Movies used to be...

Author: Pat (pasqualect@aol.com) from Los Angeles
14 January 2004

It struck me as extremely funny that 2 of the biggest box-office movies of all-time, The Bodyguard and Titanic, were and are considered BAD MOVIES!!! So what is it that people want? A serious interesting movie with great acting and great writing,

or a bad movie with likeable attractive stars and great music..which both Titanic and Bodyguard both have! Why is it that many comments about this movie are either Loved it or Hated it! Seems that box office is what matters when deciding if a movie is entertaining or not! People go to movies to be entertained

and escape the reality of everyday life! This movie is like an old hollywood movie from the 1940's when big stars would fill the screen with thier glamorous looks and charm and persuasive personalities that would pull us in and not let us go till the credits rolled! So sit back and grab a coke and enjoy a throwback movie! 4/5 St

Romance, thrills, comedy, action, music. The Bodyguard has it all.

Author: astonishing
2 January 2004

The Bodyguard starring Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston is one of the most successful movies of all-time, grossing over 410 million dollars worldwide. Why? There are several reasons:

First of all, the chemistry between Kevin and Whitney is great. Whenever they are on screen, you can't take your eyes off them. They are very talented and very attractive.

Second, the music in this movie is incredible. Whitney's voice soars on ballads like I Have Nothing and I Will Always Love You, and she brings down the house with the rocky Queen of the Night. No wonder that the soundtrack is the biggest selling soundtrack of all-time (37 million copies sold worldwide).

Third, the story is fun and the characters are well developed. There are so many funny one liners in this movie, I don't know where to start. There's plenty of romance for the girls and plenty of action/suspense for the guys. The Bodyguard is a classic. Highly recommended.

I Won't Always Love This Movie...but it's easy to watch.

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
28 November 2003

You're going to see "The Bodyguard" spoofed a lot. Just two days ago I saw an episode of "The Simpsons" with Homer saving Mark Hamill from a horde of geeks. As the song "I Will Always Love You" swelled in the background, the image of Homer carrying an animated Mark in his arms filled the screen.

Of course, the film itself isn't a good movie. "The Bodyguard" is, in fact, a very bad movie. But I like it, in an odd sort of way. It's one of those likable but stupid movies that make the time fly by on a Friday night -- unless, of course, you have something better to do than waste your time watching Kevin Costner attempt to act and Whitney Houston attempt to love him.

The movie stars Kevin Costner as Frank Farmer, a bodyguard who blames himself for events from the past that come back to haunt him. Whitney Houston basically plays Whitney Houston (though the character's name is different in the film), a famous singer like herself who falls in love with her newly-aquired bodyguard and sparks an interracial romance that threatens her career almost as much as the death threats she has been receiving in the mail.

Frank's mission is to protect her at all costs from the assassinator, who is not a metallic cyborg and who does not bear an uncanny resemblance to Arnold Schwarzenegger (though it would have helped market the film). The surprise at the end is that the killer is not who we think it is throughout -- so don't think at all! Just watch. I hope I didn't ruin any part of the movie for you. But don't tempt me -- I'm about to give away the rabid fan's identity to you.

"The Bodyguard" is a big, mushy mess, filled with bad acting and bad scriptwriting. The entire movie is bad. It's way too long for its own good -- especially when it is broadcast on network television and stretched to a near three-hour showing. (Do they really provide fifty minutes of commercials these days on CBS?) I've seen the movie numerous times, on network television and unedited, and it always seems too long. But, despite its (extremely) bad traits, the movie is a lot of fun to watch.

I don't like Kevin Costner. I think he is, what I call, a *blah* actor. He talks with such a lightweight mumble that it often induces sleep. If Costner wants to make money after his film career is depleted (that's happening, folks), he should market Costner Sleep Cassettes. Insert a cassette tape/CD of Kevin Costner reading your least favorite book, and you're guaranteed to fall asleep in less than five minutes -- or your money back!

I found one great role that Kevin Costner has played over the years, and it was the role he played in "The Untouchables," opposite Robert De Niro's Al Capone. Brian DePalma directed that movie, and it worked because the role for Costner fit his dull acting talent. Watching him attempt to *really* act is quite sad. Remember his interpretation of Robin Hood? Some people liked it, but I thought it was a disgrace to Robin Hood.

For what it's worth, Costner is good here, mainly because he acts like a dull bodyguard who is required to show absolutely no feelings whatsoever. His character basically walks around with a single expression on his face throughout the film, including while he's on a date with Whitney and the night after (if you know what I mean).

The movie sparked a lot of controversy because the couple embrace in a passionate kiss at the end of the film. If you don't mind sitting through bad acting, bad directing, bad scriptwriting, all stretched out to two and a half hours...then this is the movie for you. I, personally, sorta like it. But I don't respect it.

3/5 stars.

- John Ulmer

This Movie Has Everything!

Author: nauman89 from USA
9 November 2002

I saw this movie about 10 years after it came out! And still this is one of my favorite movies. Whitney houston gives an outstanding performance! when i saw this i even forgot she was Whintey houston! kevin costner also does a great job at acting and they both have great chemistry! This movie has everything! It has great action, but i will admit not true lies kinda action! It has great plot, writing, acting oh yeah and soundtrack! Please if your going to the movie store pick up The Bodyguard you won't regret it! ****/**** 10/10

Protect any viewers from having to watch this film

Author: soranno from Las Vegas, Nevada
2 November 2002

Kevin Costner seems to be very concerned with making each new film that he does as completely different from the one before it as possible and with this one, this is how he follows up on the much stronger film, "JFK." Costner is wasted in the title role and Whitney Houston costars to some level of OK effect but this film is much better noted for Houston's songs than anything else. If you want to see the talented singer Houston make a better attempt to establish herself as an actress, see "Waiting To Exhale" instead.

The soundtrack is outdated, but the movie's still good

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
23 September 2002

I saw this movie when it was first released and didn't really care for it. Well, basically I was still in grade school and didn't care for anything that wasn't loaded with action or comedy. I gave this movie another try when it came on Cinemax and recorded it on tape. It's a very impressive film that's both suspenseful and romantic, without being over-the-top. The only thing that really bugged me was the soundtrack. My cousins upstairs bought the soundtrack and would listen to it constantly, so I'm pretty much tired of hearing every single one of those songs.

Kevin Costner gives an engaging, charismatic performance. Whitney Houston is not a terrific actress, but she can pull of a dramatic line without making me burst into laughter. So I gotta give her a little bit of credit, being that this was her first performance. I've seen much worse. And it's nice to see Whitney looking very pretty, as opposed to now where she's destroying herself with drugs. And though the relationship was between a white man and a black woman, the film didn't get preachy about it.

I just think Lawrence Kasdan (who wrote the script) should've just made Whitney's character a singer, since we never see her act in this film. We never see clips of her films. All we see her do is sing. So why not make her a singer and have the climax at the Grammy Awards? Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the film. It works well as both a love story and a thriller. And unlike most romantic films, the two characters don't constantly jump into bed together and the sex is left to the imagination. We actually feel some real chemistry, through dialogue and character development.

My score: 7 (out of 10)

Why don't u go back there and keep watching

Author: Tiffany Hartman from Charlotte Hall, Md
20 August 2002

The Bodyguard is one of my favorite movies. Costner does a GREAT job as a badass bodyguard who falls in love with his client and Houston does a great job although she makes me think in the movie shes mixing medications. She goes from a complete B**** to falling madly in love with the person she was a complete b**** to. It is a great movie and a must see for EVERYONE.

"I don't want to have this conversation again!"

Author: Ghenghy from Charlotte North By God Carolina
2 August 2002

Costner makes a great modern day badass. Worth watching alone for his portrayal of a retired Secret Service agent hired to protect superstar Whitney Houston. As far as romantic thrillers go, this is one of the best. Highly watchable, you'll forgive the glitz if you're a fan of the genre. The soundtrack is awesome and Whitney demonstrates her awesome talent on stage, so what if she can't act. 8/10

Page 9 of 13: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]