IMDb > The Bodyguard (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Bodyguard

The Bodyguard More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

"Reagan got shot! - Not on my shift!"

Author: Predrag (pzivojinovic@yahoo.com) from Serbia
25 May 2016

This movie has a dark atmosphere, which is something I love about it. It's not like most love stories. This movie is so different from a typical romance film. It doesn't just focus on the romance, it focuses on Rachel's career, the stalker, Frank's resistance to grow close to his client. That's what makes this movie so special. "The Bodyguard" is one of Whitney's best performances. You can tell she is in her prime with her career. She and Kevin Costner are outstanding in their performances. I love the performances throughout the movie most..

Kevin Costner portrays Frank Farmer, a no-nonsense bodyguard hired by the singers associates that struggles with Marron's devotion to her career and her own deluded view that she is invincible. Houston plays a character that parallels her real life, an accomplished actress and singer who is being stalked by an obsessive fan. Bodyguard was to be the big vehicle to launch Houston into a mega film career. Although Houston's performance is commendable for her first film effort, her shining moments in the film are when she showcases the soundtrack, which is incredible. Costner is strong in his stern, powerful role. If you like a who-done-it film, amazing music, watching Kevin Costner, as well as just the right mix of romance and damsel in distress, you've got to get The Bodyguard (and get the soundtrack while you're at it).

Overall rating: 8 out of 10.

I will always love you, movie, even if you're a bit mediocre.

Author: ironhorse_iv from United States
24 April 2015

Houston, we don't have a problem. At least, not in 1992. In 1992, both Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston could do no, wrong. At the time, Kevin Costner was one of America's most accomplished thespians and Whitney Houston was one of the most popular singers. When you combine them, in the movie, 'the Bodyguard'. You get a semi-OK-masterpiece. This schmaltzy proposal for this film was rejected 67 times before Kevin Costner got the rights. It was originally written by Lawrence Kasdan for Steve McQueen and Diana Ross in the 1970s. Directed by Mick Jackson, the movie tells the story of Frank Farmer (Kevin Costner), a former Secret Service Agent for the President, who became the private bodyguard for international pop star and actress, Rachel Marron (Whitney Houston) after she been, receiving death threats from a dangerous stalker. Can Frank save Rachel or will the killer win out in the end? Watch the movie to find out! Without spoiling too much of the film, I found Kevin Costner's acting in this, pretty dull. I know, that his character is supposed to be stern, but gees… they could have, lighten up, the character, a bit. Even, in the lake scenes. He was pretty blend. Despite, that, he made a pretty realistic bodyguard. He was also, a pretty cool, action star at the time. He deserve more credit for this movie, from stopping it from totally tanking with his action scenes. The scene where he was chasing the killer, through the woods was intense. Kevin Costner was so insistent that Whitney Houston and no other black singer/actress play the part that the film production waited 1 year for Whitney to be available to film. In my opinion, it was a good choice. She was a good singer, but not a good actress, even when seemingly playing a variation of herself. Whitney Houston as Rachel, was mediocre, at best. I give her some credit, for at least, trying to act. She did suffered a miscarriage during production and missed a couple of weeks of production recovering, and you can't tell, by her performance, how truly depress, she must have, been at the time. I just glad, Whitney Houston's character wasn't playing like a gimmicky black singer stereotype. Still, most of the movie, I felt that her character was a bit annoying. Even, test audiences, couldn't stand all, her b*tching as the film had to undergo some hasty re-cutting. Still, with those cuts, her character never truly understood, how much, she was in danger, even when, things became really serious and it bugs the living hell out of me. I know, she supposed to play a diva, but I didn't like, how much, Rachel and Frank fought against each other over, how much protection, she needs. It made the romance seem so unrealistic. I didn't think, that the actors have that much chemistry on film. Still, they both look, beautiful, together. One thing that I kinda love about the film, is how brave, the filmmakers were in showing interracial relationships. Even in the 1990s, seeing this was rare. Houston's mainstream appeal allowed people to look at the movie color-blind, and never once, did I find the fact that a black woman and white guy falling in love, jarring. Still, controversy arose as some felt the film's advertising intentionally hid Houston's face to hide the film's interracial relationship. I think, this was made to keep, the movie from being spoiled. The reason The Bodyguard scored more than $410 million worldwide is not, because of the two stars sex appeal. It's the film soundtrack, which to date, as of this writing, stands as the highest selling in movie history. It features six songs by Whitney Houston, including "Queen of the Night," a remake of Chaka Khan's "I'm Every Woman," "I've Got Nothing," and, of course, her signature cover of Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You." Although her songs make up half of the soundtrack, she is credited for the album's popularity, which in turn drove people to see the film. Two songs from the film, "Run to You" and "I Have Nothing", were nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Song. While, 'I will always love you' got her, multiply rewards and became one of the best-selling single by a woman in music history. The character of Rachel was originally going to sing "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" instead of "I Will Always Love You", before 1991's film, Fried Green Tomatoes used the former song. Kevin Costner is the one who wanted the song written by Dolly Parton to be sung by Whitney Houston. He convinced Whitney to sing it "a capella" for the movie. Whitney's rendition became so good, that Dolly Parton pretty much, disowned it and gave it to Whitney. Regardless of whether you're a Houston fan, her talent as a singer is what makes the movie halfway watchable. If this movie was made today, it might be an all-out-disaster. Both celebrities went into a shaky time in the late 1990s/early 2000s. While, Whitney Houston's career never really, bound-back, to the success of this film and its soundtrack. She did have some minor hits, before dying in 2012, in a drowning/drug overdose accident. Kevin Costner was able to have some success after his double whammy of post-apocalypse sci-fi flops movies in the mid-1990s, and his career is still going strong. In many ways, he always thought of this movie, as one of his greatest works, and always felt open in making a sequel or remaking it. Celebrities like Rihanna, and Princess Diana was once sought for re-dos. Who knows, if a sequel will be made? Overall: Yes, it could had been better, but I quite enjoyed the film. I do recommended, at least, seeing it, once. In the end, if you don't bother watching the film. At least, try to listen to the soundtrack. You'll probably enjoyed it.

Watch it to remember Whitney

Author: Mr-Fusion from United States
20 December 2014

I vividly remember the stranglehold Whitney Houston had on the closing months of 1992 because of THE BODYGUARD, but I didn't remember much about the actual movie. I wasn't expecting much, and I guess that's why it exceeded expectations

. . . but only just.

Whitney for the most part fits what the role requires: stuck-up, naturally über-talented; she doesn't need much range. This whole thing rests on the shoulders of whoever's playing her protector. And Costner's decent here; he gets to flex his action movie muscle with a sweet dive through a window into a crouch, although he's frequently got that anxious trying-to-remember-my-next-line look on his face (unusual for him). He's got a ridiculous character name - but also drives an El Camino. The man is complicated.

But on the whole, the movie never rises above mediocrity. It's a love story without passion and the tension doesn't come until the last ten minutes of the movie (which it really needed much earlier). But I also didn't feel like quitting before the credits rolled, which kinda surprised me. I can see why it was the IT movie of its time (it's very '92, like a shot-for-MTV snapshot of the period), but staying power is not one of its virtues.

An undeniable classic thriller, Costner at the very height of his career

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
24 September 2012

The Bodyguard was always one of my favourite Costner flicks. I am a huge Costner fan even though he has slipped from Hollywood stardom in the last few years. I hadn't seen The Bodyguard in awhile and wanted to review it so I sat down to enjoy it again. I was surprised to discover that I found it a little slow at times, that it looked a little dated, and while I still enjoyed my favourite parts, the grainy and gritty romantic thriller definitely ages itself. But don't let that discourage you. The film is still a classic of its time. The pace of the film is definitely methodical, it doesn't apologize for taking its time to really lay out the characters and the mystery surround the stalker. The characters are all very well developed and the chemistry between Costner and Houston is really what makes this film, and the music of course. Houston's soundtrack to the film is formidable, and brilliant and you buy her as an insanely successful pop princess because she was and still is.

Kevin Costner's Frank Farmer is this brooding, seemingly hardened former Secret Service agent. He enters the film mysteriously but you learn more about him throughout the film. Its really a great character and I can't imagine for minute anyone other than Costner playing the role. The late and legendary Whitney Houston plays Rachel Marron. She's the hot headed, short tempered diva but her character takes a lot of turns too and she definitely becomes more likable though she really does remain a diva throughout. Her and Costner are just sexy and brilliant together. The film has a terrific supporting cast including Bill Cobbs, Gary Kemp, Tomas Arana and Mike Starr should be called out for especially strong supporting performances. Michele Lamar Richards does an okay job as Marron's sister Nicki. I always thought she was one of the poorer performances in the film which is really unfortunate especially being what a big important part she has in the film. DeVaughn Nixon does a decent job as Marron's son Fletcher.

Everyone works very well together and some of the chemistry (as previously mentioned) is truly great while others go a little understated like Houston and Richards as sisters. Director Mick Jackson was really just getting his legs under him when he directed this film. He does a good job, his direction is decent, but the pacing could have definitely been better handled by more experience. I think he got lucky with a strong cast, especially the stars, and a well written story. Regardless of its few flaws and its slow pace, The Bodyguard is a nineties classic and must see viewing for Costner fans and Houston fans. Its the perfect romantic thriller for a quiet date night. 7/10

The atomic number of zinc is thirty

Author: tieman64 from United Kingdom
18 April 2011

"The Bodyguard" is bookended by two very excellent scenes.

Everything in between those scenes is primarily interesting in the way it condenses a number of very powerful fantasies. So you have the fantasy of a celebrity falling in love with a regular guy, of the chivalrous knight rescuing the princess, of being the "strong silent type" who can't help it that ladies (and their kids and sisters) fall for you, and for the ladies, you have a man dedicating his life to defending you, your nest and your kids.

The film was directed by Mick Jackson, a television director. His direction is plain, but the film channels well the tone of 1960s/1970s crime movies ("Point Blank", anything by Siegel, Peckinpah, Steve McQueen etc). Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner are our stars, he doing a monosyllabic Steve McQueen routine, she a bit abrasive in front of the camera. Their romance is underwritten.

"Bodyguard" movies were all the rage in the late 80s/early 90s, think "Terminator 2", "The Specialist", "In The Line Of Fire" etc. Why is this?

Pop culture and pop music have a lifespan of a few months if you're lucky, today's fad swiftly turning into tomorrow's joke. All this film's "hollywood", "MTV", "music" and "popstar" moments thus now look tacky, changing trends having rendered them silly. Costner's the only artifact who's survived, his character modelled after Kurosawa's "Yojimbo" and other Samurai flicks. Like McQueen often did, Costner strips his character down to the bare minimum, leaving time with nothing to take away.

7.5/10 – "The Bodyguard" made zillions at the box office, writer Lawrence Kasdan and actor/producer Kevin Costner hitting upon a script that condensed a powerful set of very archetypal fantasies. The film is worth watching for its opening and closing scenes. Plans are currently underway for a remake.

Cut to commercial! Cut to commercial!

Author: sol from Brooklyn NY USA
14 July 2013

***SPOILERS*** Kevin Costner as ex secret service agent Frank Farmer looks genuinely board stiff as his role demands him to be guarding the body of singer and actress Rachel Marron, Whitney Houston, as her bodyguard in "The Bodyguard". Coaster or Farmer walks around looking so deadpan throughout most of the movie that he seems to be suffering from a serious case of shell shock from his previous job as a secret service agent. It's a habit that he picked up over the years guarding both Presidents Carter and Regan in him being able to blend in with the furniture or background in him remaining inconspicuous, to any attempted assassins, on he job. Taking on an assignment at the insistence of his good friend Mr. Dewaney, Bill Cobbs, to be Miss Marron's personal bodyguard the company that he surrounds herself with get so intrusive in him doing his job that he almost quits before he begins. It's Rachel's sweet looks and bubbling personality that keeps him on the job guarding her and also the fact that those in her entourage of flunkies and hanger on being so completely incompetent in doing their jobs that makes him stay.

We and Farmer know right away that someone out there is trying to do Rachel in but that fact is kept from her by those around her that makes Farmer's job that much more difficult. Acting as if she doesn't have a care or fear in the world Rachel doesn't realize that her life and body, the body that Farmer is guarding with his life, is in serious danger. It's only much later when Rachel gets a disturbing pone call, on her private phone number, that she finally gives in and lets Farmer do his job protecting her life. It's her obsessed fan and stalker who's planning to whack her at the biggest moment in Rachel's life when she's to accept the Academy Award for best actress with over a billion people watching the great event live and on TV all over the globe.

***SPOILERS*** The love angle in the movie doesn't quite pan out with Farmer and Marron never really clicking in their love scenes that come across mechanical and not genuine at all. Farmer for one is so intense in all of his scenes that showing affection towards Rachel seems out of character for him in the movie. It's only in the last few moments that Farmer gets his act together in realizing who's out to knock off Rachel that he really seems to care for Rachel and tries to save her life even at the expense of his own. But by then she's so turned off by his almost zombie or robot like action that she almost allows her intended killer to do her in by not believing or responding to Farmers frantic attempts to save her life.

Both Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston as Frank Farmer & Rachel Marro did their best to make their parts in the movie work and the final payoff with a by then a disgraced, in letting things get out of hand, Farmer saving Rachel's life which saved the film from being total disaster. It was sad that the film "The Bodyguard" in a way predicted its star Whitney Houston's actual death some 20 years later in 2012. It was then just like in the movie Whitney faced death this time in her hotel bathtub, not from an assassin's bullet, just before she was to receive a Grammy for her music like an Academy Award for her acting in "The Bodygurad". But this time in real life not in the movies the outcome was sadly a lot different.

A Melodramatic Love Story

Author: Desertman84 from United States
18 October 2012

The Bodyguard is a romantic thriller film starring Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston. Costner stars as a former Secret Service Agent-turned- bodyguard who is hired to protect Houston's character, a music star, from an unknown stalker. Lawrence Kasdan wrote the film in the 1970's, originally as a vehicle for Steve McQueen and Diana Ross.It was directed by Mick Jackson.

When imperious musical superstar Rachel Marron begins receiving death threats, she is compelled to hire a bodyguard. An ex-Secret Service agent, Frank still hasn't purged himself of his guilt feelings over his inability to protect from an assassination of the President of the United States.He is now a highly successful private and professional bodyguard who protects corporate VIPs. He is hired by Rachel's manager, Bill Devaney to protect her after she receives a number of threats against her life and a small bomb detonates in her dressing room.Gradually,Rachel and Frank fall in love.

This 1992 crowd pleaser made almost as much money for Whitney Houston as its chart-busting soundtrack. A high-wattage star vehicle as only Hollywood can make as she is baring her tonsils with a rousing rendition of the Dolly Parton chestnut "I Will Always Love You".Overall,it is a cheesy, melodramatic potboiler with occasional moments of electricity.But nevertheless,it does contain a love story, but it's the kind of guarded passion that grows between two people who spend a lot of time keeping their priorities straight.

It really just didn't do anything for me.

Author: guy-nicholas from United States
30 May 2012

It's taken me a while to see this movie, and now that I have, I really just didn't like it. I had heard about this movie before Houston's death, but I still didn't really want to see it. I really wasn't interested at all. When she died, there was a lot of talk about her movie with Kevin Costner, and his eulogy was very moving to me. He spoke a lot about the movie, and around the time of her death, people kept talking about it and how good it was. So I added it to my Netflix queue, still not really expecting much, and I got just what I was expecting. The movie seemed very lazy to me, put together and didn't really come off as a movie of a specific genre. This movie is for people who want to hear Whitney Houston's voice, which is quite an amazing singing voice. I have nothing against Whitney, I just didn't like the movie. She was an amazing talent, but I just didn't like the movie very much.

The first five minutes of the movie had me interested, I won't lie. The story of the movie goes something like this: a former Secret Service agent is hired by a pop singer to be her bodyguard, after a murder attempt. Once he arrives to meet her, he realizes how much security she is lacking. She is a very famous pop singer, and yet she is living in the most vulnerable way. When he meets the pop singer, Rachel Marron, that's where things started to get a little "eh" for me. I knew it was Houston's first movie debut, but I just couldn't buy it. As much as I tried, I really couldn't see Houston as an actress. I see her as a singer, and that's what she should've stayed as. To me, she was very unconvincing as Rachel Marron, even though she was practically playing herself. She just wasn't good at acting through this whole movie, and I just didn't like it for that. But there's more reasons to why I didn't like this movie.

I couldn't stand the way this movie bounced across genres. What was this supposed to be? There are different genres that can be combined, like an action-comedy. Two genres in one, that's usually the limit in which a movie can stay good. But this movie had way too many genres, and it was hard to keep up with. Is it a romance? Is it an action movie? Is it a thriller? Is it a comedy? Drama? Music? It goes on and on, and Mick Jackson just tried to jam-pack all of these into a movie that was two hours long, and that was just painful for me to watch. They could've made the changes make sense at least, and have them move from one to the other in a smooth way. These genres were put together in a five minute scene, where it starts with Houston singing, an ominous person, a shootout, then a romance scene between Costner and Houston. I couldn't stand it, it was too sloppy for me.

I would avoid this movie, but I know a bunch of people like it. But I'm a cinema fan, and I see movies for their value. A lot of people liked it, for they saw it as a romance movie. But I see it as a movie that's overloaded.

The Bodyguard- I'll Always Love this Picture ****

Author: edwagreen from United States
13 December 2009

Even with a weak acting performance by singer Whitney Houston, this is a fabulous film as it gives up everything: a wonderful plot, fine chemistry between Kevin Costner and Ms. Houston, the reality of finding love while on the job, and an Academy Award show never to be forgotten!

The beautiful Oscar-winning song is sung here with perfection by Ms. Houston.

As stated above, Houston's performance is lackluster through most of the film. It did pick up somewhat as the plot thickened. As for Costner, as the over-zealous agent, he was never better. What makes the film so good is the believable plot twists that are discovered. All does not seem to appear what it should be regarding a former agent as well as the woman who portrays Houston's sister and secretary. We have often heard of what happens when love blossoms in the work place and this film is no exception to that rule.

bodyguard lacks of timeless,moving and epic

Author: julia_biggs from United Kingdom
27 August 2008

every once in a while the conversation will turn to your''disappointing movies''.i''ll mention''the bodyguard''

i just rewatched the bodyguard for the first time in a long time.after sixteen years,i don't always arrive to cry whitney houston and kevin costner could be wonderful.kevin could be the fine actor of his generation.he is just nothing more than a handsome man.whitney could be so strong in this movie.the movie wasn't really hers,and she didn't hold it together beautifully. mick jackson didn't manage many believed was impossible.the sacrifice scene wasn't horrific.

this film isn't one memorablle scene after another.it has been a victim of the whitney houston pop song 's success .alan silvestri's score wasn't perfect.the love theme wasn't beautiful and tragic.

the movie wasn't made with such humanity.