IMDb > Blue Ice (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Blue Ice

Blue Ice More at IMDbPro »

You frightened me so much I'm spilling my tea

Author: diorio2001
8 August 2003

I had passed an eye over this video sitting on the shelf at the local video store several times. Although I consider myself to be a Michael Caine fan, I neglected to ever rent BLUE ICE, because of poor reviews and ratings. The other day however I was once again at the video store and this time decided to check out this film. I was extremely surprised (in a good way) at BLUE ICE. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. The plot was a little bit hard to swallow, but all spy movies are like that. I thought the cinematography was wonderful and I especially like the intriguing, yet bizarre torture scene montage.

Michael Caine played an ex-spy and despite his age and not being in great shape, Sir Michael pulled off a wonderful performance. The movie was so interesting (though confusing at parts) I can honestly say that I wasn't bored for a minute. Sean Young's performance wasn't too impressing, but luckily it wasn't so terrible that it deterred my interest in the movie. Ian Holm and Bob Hoskins some good scenes, but I wish that their parts were bigger.

BLUE ICE isn't Michael Caine's best movie, but God knows, it's not his worst either. All-in-all I give BLUE ICE 3 ½ out of 5.

Better than reported by others

Author: vintagevalor-2 from United States
23 April 2006

I try to be respectful of others opinions as everyone is entitled to one, but, as an actor and a producer who has been the recipient of ignorant comments, I have to respond to some of the comments regarding BLUE ICE. For the person who chastises Michal Cain for doing this picture and suggesting he did it for the pay check, It was his company that produced it. It was supposed to be the first in a line of quarterly pictures for TV with the same character. His partner died and that ended that.

Regarding Bob Hoskins small role...he and Caine have been lifelong friends and this is just one more of a number of pictures they have done together and to suggest that Hoskins has "ruined" his career is just ludicrous.The man continues to turn in outstanding performances in A-list films and top of the line independents. See MRS. HENDERSON PRESNETS.

The name "Harry" is a staple of Noir through both film, novels and TV-to wit "Harry O" on TV with David Janson in the 70's. "Harry" in Heminghway's TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT, and yes, the "Harry Palmer" stories of Len Deighton but that does not mean BLUE ICE is a rip off of those stories. And to suggest that Michal Caine does not do well in action films is ridiculous. See ZULU, BATTLE OF BRITIAN, A BRIDGE TO FAR, and a host of others.

I found BLUE ICE to be intelligent, well done, well acted picture with a good script. I do agree that the ending is not up to snuff but the rest of the film, especially the "Jazz" sections, is not something one sees often and it added a measure of quality to the picture.

Jazzy Neo-Nor Has Its Moments

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
7 January 2006

Here's another film that one might label a neo-noir. It's film noir in story, attitude and camera-work but it's color and it's a 1992 film, not one from the late 1940s or early '50s.

The story is set in England and is a good mixture of suspense, action and romance. It's nicely filmed with a lot of night shots featuring some cool neon signs of London streets and pubs. Looks-wise, this film reminded me a lot of "Stormy Monday."

There is some good jazz in here, too. The action picks up much more in the second half of the film, capped off by a unique huge transformer-like vehicle chasing Michael Caine. The ending was a bit weak and hokey but overall, the film was entertaining and good stuff if you're a noir buff.

Clumsy old-fashioned spy thriller.

Author: Jonathon Dabell (barnaby.rudge@hotmail.co.uk) from Todmorden, England
26 September 2007

From director Russell (Highlander) Mulcahy comes a thriller that reminds one of a throwback to the spy flicks of yesteryear. With Michael Caine in the leading role, and a supporting gallery that contains the likes of Ian Holm, Bob Hoskins, Alun Armstrong and Sean Young, you'd be right to expect something quite good of Blue Ice. But sadly the movie emerges a dispirited and bewildering mish-mash of action, sex and violence that is quite unworthy of the talents involved. Caine and famous producer Martin Bregman set up their own production company to finance this film, calling it M&M Productions – the idea was to start a series of films featuring the Harry Anders character. The critical and commercial indifference that met Blue Ice meant that no sequels were made, and the production company never released another film. (Which tells you all you need to know!)

Ex-secret agent Harry Anders (Michael Caine) now runs a jazz club in London. One day he is involved in a minor car accident with sexy Stacy Mansdorf (Sean Young), wife of the American Ambassador. The two of them hit it off and soon embark on a passionate affair, with the older Harry finding himself falling uncommonly hard for this sizzling young temptress. Stacy learns about Harry's past life as a secret agent, and begs him to help her with a problem she has. Seems a former lover of hers is threatening to ruin her reputation, and she thinks Harry might be able to straighten him out. But the seemingly innocuous job is riddled with danger, and before long Harry find himself up to his neck in betrayal, murder and international arms dealings. The trail leads to Harry's old MI6 boss, Sir Hector (Ian Holm), and as the bodies start piling up the aging hero finds himself once more playing the sort of deadly cloak-and-dagger game he thought he'd left behind for good….

Mulcahy throws in his usual visual flourishes (he was formerly a music video director), but no amount of fancy camera angles and moody lighting can disguise the lack of a coherent plot. Caine lends the hero an air of self-humouring charm, but it's not really one of his finest roles simply because the haphazard script doesn't allow for the development of a memorable character. The sex scenes are unintentionally funny – 59 year old Caine looks somewhat out-of-shape, yet the camera glides slowly, lovingly over his body while he is locked in a naked embrace with Young. One can't really blame the actor; it's more the fault of the director and editor for thinking (unwisely) that they can bring geriatric sex appeal to these scenes. There are flashes of competent action throughout the film – explosions, gunfights, car chases and so forth. Hardly a moment of it hangs together meaningfully and there's little sense behind most of what goes on, but at least the action is put together in a solid professional manner. Blue Ice is generally a disappointing spy thriller, never quite so bad that it reaches the level of "unwatchable" but not good enough to be worthy of recommendation.

Club owning former spy gets into a bit of a pickle............

Author: ianlouisiana from United Kingdom
26 May 2008

Well,hell,I liked it.Sir Michael and Sir Bob having a lot of fun kicking arse and Sir Michael gets to snog Sean Young and nobody takes it at all seriously for heaven's sake.If you're a former spy running a jazz club it's just the sort of thing you might expect to happen to you wouldn't you say? This is a really enjoyable British movie with a good cast all playing within their comfort zones,rather like an end - of season football game with nothing at stake for those involved but personal pride.No one is going to risk breaking a leg,but no one is going to coast either. Miss Young clearly divides opinion but I have always thought her forte was playing women with hidden agendas(viz:-"Red Rock West")and she has a face that hides more than it reveals in most of her movies.Here she does well in a not very believable part as a woman with a hidden agenda (switcherooney). A lot of good British jazzers do their thing quite happily and Sir Michael is quite convincing as an erstwhile Ronnie Scott. This is by no means the train wreck many have made it out to be,but if you don't like jazz you might care to deduct one point.

A roundabout way to make another Harry Palmer movie

Author: weston-18 from Canada
29 January 2006

Clearly intended to be an update to the Harry Palmer successes of the 60's right down to the character's stiff upper lip/questionable ethics superior, love of jazz, reluctant spy scenario, and same first name. Obviously, copyright required a change to last name, otherwise, this is a Harry Palmer movie.

Far from the quality of Ipcress File and Funeral in Berlin, but superior story and plot compared to the subsequent Russian/Quebec produced "official Palmer movies".

Caine turns in another solid performance, but potential of film limited to script gaps. Highlights would be scenes between Caine and Hoskins that are far superior to rest of film. Sean Young hopelessly miscast, so what else is new, and there is no chemistry between her and Caine.

An Appropriate Title For This Poor Thriller

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
4 November 2004

What's Blue Ice ? According to this movie it's excrement that comes out from passing airliners . You wouldn't want to be below an overhead jet when someone flushes the loo . Come to think of it you really wouldn't want to watch this movie either unless there was absolutely nothing else on

Michael Caine tries to play a Harry Palmer clone but unfortunately since it's a movie from the early 1990s it's obvious he just took the part for the pay cheque and it'd be a few more years until he started to choose his parts more carefully

Bob Hoskins is another actor who basically ruined his career by not being too fussy about the quality of the scripts . BLUE ICE is probably summed up by Hoskin's being introduced by thus : There's a car chase , Hoskin's is getting pursued by men in balaclavas . This can mean only one thing - They're terrorists and this is confirmed by their Irish accents and the fact they're firing hundreds of rounds at Bob's car as they hunt their prey . Boy this could end up like THE LONG GOOD Friday , but Bob gets the better of his pursuers ( After 5 minutes of not very exciting action ) and the terrorists car ends up a right off with one of the bad guys lying on the road in very poor shape . Bob and his frightened driver approach the terrorist . Bob turns to his driver and shouts :

" DO IT "

Not a natural killer the driver reluctantly raises his machine gun and empties the magazine into the terrorist who now lies dead , the victim of a ruthless execution

" Okay " says Bob " Get up " and the terrorist defies the laws of nature by standing to his feet . In fact all the dead terrorists come to life as Bob points to them . Has he got supernatural powers ? " Don't drive so close to the target car , you don't hesitate to fire . You ... "

Ah so it wasn't a terrorist attack at all , it's a sneaky little cheat at the expense of the audience . This worked very well - In nineteen forty something . Unfortunately by the time this plays out on screen the audience were probably expecting it and it's not a spoiler so don't complain . If you see BLUE ICE and end up being disappointed with it don't complain because I told you so

Former spy Michael Caine gets drawn into the spy game again

Author: msroz from United States
14 November 2013

"Blue Ice" is a spy movie. I like spy movies. So, I like "Blue Ice", but a lot less than I like Caine's Harry Palmer movies. And I think this movie is below par as such movies go.

Caine runs a jazz club. I like jazz, so that's a plus. There's some bebop and Bobby Short tosses off half a chorus here and there.

Caine is the movie's center, and he manages to carry it along, and that's a plus. Ian Holm is good, but he's given some bad lines. Bob Hoskins doesn't have much of a part, and in what he does have he's hard to understand. The action finale is decent.

Caine has a love interest, who is Sean Young. She's a weak link here, as is her part.

Where the film has big problems is the story and script. It's disjointed. It doesn't build tension. It lacks focus. Scenes lack spark. The story leaves unanswered questions. One really doesn't care that much what's happening.

So, overall a below-par spy movie that spy and Caine fans may wish to view, but most movie fans can bypass this. It is, after all, a TV movie (HBO) and, despite a good look to this one and some production values, it still doesn't measure up.

above average spy thriller from above average director

Author: steve-545 from United States
1 January 2000

I was recently on a Russell Mulcahy kick and decided to view his second hard to find direct to video film BLUE ICE after being pleasantly surprised by SILENT TRIGGER with Dolph Lundgren. BLUE ICE has a very engaging storyline but ultimately falls short in the ending. Michael Caine plays ex-British operative Harry Anders unexpectedly and unofficially brought back into action after a traffic accident with mysterious beauty Stacy (Sean Young). A mutual attraction leads Harry to do Stacy a seemingly small favor involving Stacy's ex boyfriend. What follows is a intricately weaved scheme involving arms dealing and some very high ranking "w******". Caine is excellent as the lead character and reminded me of Roger Moore in his heyday as Bond. Sultry and convincing, Sean Young definitely heats up the screen. Look for a good but shortlived cameo by Bob Hoskins. Russell Mulcahy once again puts some effective visuals onto the screen including a hyper intense torture/interrogation sequence and effective lighting.

However, the time it took to create such an effective story and relationship between the two leads is wasted with a conclusion that emphasizes what Michael Caine is not: an action hero. Although the fight scenes in Harry's bar were forgivable, Michael Caine running around with a gun (albeit a cool gun) in the final showdown just struck me as awkward. The action also was a unnecessary reminder that the film was done on a low budget...a very low budget. Yet another film that came into fruition with a strong story and performances but would ultimately run out of steam with uninspired and unspectacular action. Of course Mr. Mulcahy would come back in fine form later with direct to video films SILENT TRIGGER, TALOS THE MUMMY, and RESURRECTION.

I can not complain

Author: hassan_ghezelayagh from Australia
4 January 2007

Blue Ice, is my kind of movie. Good story line, good and bad characters. Good director. Prety Sean Young. Good actor Michael Caine. Some mystery, action,love story...... Beginning was very good, it showed that those are involved in script and direction of movie have highly experience and make movie attractive till end. I like it very much. I have a copy of DVD and when I feel to watch a nice mild action movie I will watch it. By the way torture scene is brilliant. I does not hurt your feeling and do not make you angry. As Harry is saying at the end ,ANGER IS ACT OF LOSERS. I recommend watch this movie for those who like Michael Caine as actor, like old decent action and mystery movies without highly sophisticated special effects.