IMDb > Beethoven (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Fun, with a GREAT dog!

Author: CMUltra (collectormanultra@yahoo.com)
8 November 2005

We are dog lovers and had been meaning to watch some of the Beethoven series for quite a while. We found a DVD collection of all five at a good price so we snapped it up and sat down for the first installment.

We honestly didn't know what to expect so, to minimize our risk of disappointment, decided that we were only watching to enjoy the St. Bernard. The movie turned out to be a very pleasant surprise, easily exceeding those expectations.

Beethoven is the star, as he should be. The human cast, however, perform wonderfully in providing the light framework required to string Beethoven's scenes together. Charles Grodin especially shines as the dad who is, at first, not exactly enthused about getting a dog. Much less a monster dog who only drools and sheds and eats.

So, if you enjoy dogs and light-hearted fun, Beethoven won't disappoint. There are no Machiavellian plots or cruel content. The family is wonderfully good, the villains are comically bad and the suspense of their threat is enjoyable because you know, Beethoven's gonna win in the end.

Overall, very charming with a good, wholesome sense of humor. 6.5 out of 10.

Great Family Film

Author: rholton2 from United States
27 September 2005

If you love funny animal films, you will laugh till you cry at the antics of Beethoven and his human companions. The scene where the children are trying to find a name for the dog is cute and if you like classical music you will appreciate the humor behind how the name is finally derived. I was rather surprised to see Good Guy Dean Jones, star of many Disney films, in his portrayal of the dastardly and evil Vet. I almost did not recognize him with the thick "soda bottle-bottom" glasses, but as always Mr. Jones gave a stellar performance. X-Files star David Duchovney plays the part of a company representative who wants to try to take over the family's business, and only Beethoven sees him and his female partner for what they are and takes them on the ride of their lives (one of the funniest scenes of the film). I generally find sequels are not as good as the first, but in this case the humor of Beethoven's 2nd and Beethoven's 3rd hold true to first and are also worth viewing.

The Good & Bad Of 'Beethoven'

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
1 December 2006

This was almost like an old-fashioned type of nice movie "the whole family will enjoy," as the stupid trailers used to always say. They aren't always right about that, but they are with this one.

BAD NEWS - The "bad news" was (a) the silly ending, (b) some silly-stupid scenes earlier in which what you saw could never really happen, and (c) the three kids were annoying and bossy at times.

GOOD NEWS - The "good news" is, of course, "Beethoven," the lovable Saint Bernard who is a lot of fun to watch, especially with all his facial expressions. Also, it's a very entertaining story and there is absolutely nothing offensive, language-wise, in here.

OVERALL - This was popular enough to spawn some sequels, none of which were close in caliber to this one. A good family film worth viewing, but mainly if you like big, lovable dogs.

5.1??? As bad as all that? I don't think so!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
10 October 2009

I really liked Beethoven. Of course it isn't perfect, it does have a silly ending, the plot does have its low points and the script was a tad weak in places. However, it is a charming, fun and entertaining family movie. I myself am mortified at the 5.1 IMDb rating. I seriously don't think it is as bad as all that. It isn't perfect, but it has a sense of fun. The cinematography is lush and very beautifully handled, and the direction was secure. Charles Grodin is an enormously talented actor, and I enjoyed his performance here, and Dean Jones seems to be having fun too. The child actors are appealing, and the music is lovely. I think the real star is Beethoven himself, whoever trained that dog should be told he/she did a wonderful job. With Beethoven, the film is fun, charming and very entertaining. And there are many memorable moments here. All in all, a very pleasant family film, I recommend it. It is not perfect, but it is one of the better family films out there. 7/10 Bethany Cox

Roll Over, Beethoven!

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
8 April 2003

"Beethoven" isn't a great family film, but it is surprisingly sweet and amusing. It's one of those films that is strangely attracting, though you can't really understand why.

I think a lot has been built up on this film just because there were some sequel spin-offs that were more than horrible. (The 3rd and 4th sequels with Judge Reinhold were some of the worst attempts at comedy. Ever.) But the original was a nice, family-friendly film that accomplishes what it promised.

Charles Grodin plays George Newton: Family man, businessman, NOT a doggy-man. But things change rapidly when a runaway Saint Bernard named Beethoven comes to the Newton residence. Newton's children immediately get attached to the animal, but Grodin's character doesn't exactly like the fact of a big ol' slobbering dog being around his house. So there are some gags as Grodin gets mad at Beethoven for certain things he does throughout the film.

But then, evil animal vet Dean Jones tries to take Beethoven, and Newton decides to fight back for his family and bring the doggy back home.

"Beethoven" isn't anything very original, and it isn't anything very memorable, nor is it excellent quality gags. But it's a surprisingly pleasant and good-natured family film that doesn't resort to crude humor or language like other so-called "family films" out there.

Ivan Reitman, who has brought us "Ghostbusters," "Kindergarten Cop," and "Stripes" co-produced this film. He's a talented director, even if he sometimes makes average films. The thing about his films are, that even when they're average they are still pretty funny and strangely watchable. And though I'm not sure what all a producer does on a film, I think he probably did a good job with something on this film. :)

Charles Grodin is one of those actors that I've always liked because he seems very down-to-earth and regular. He is a subtle comedian that never goes OTT and doesn't come off like ANOTHER Jerry Lewis-Jim Carrey hybrid.

"Beethoven" isn't anything great, but it's strangely likable and enjoyable. When compared to other so-called family films, it's pretty nice. It doesn't skimp on the gags (even if they're not very great) and it never turns stupid (like the 3rd and 4th film).

All in all, "Beethoven" delivers what it promises, and it does it pretty nicely.

3.5/5 stars -

John Ulmer

It's a dog's life

Author: ross robinson from england
31 October 2003

Beethoven was made in 1992, i thought that this movie was fantastic to watch. It gets you going when there is humour in the movie. This is rated U which is suitable for people all ages. I give this movie a fantastic score 10 out of 10 because it is such a great children's movie.

Cute little family film

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
2 April 2004

As far as family films go, this is definatly a movie for them. If you are watching "Beethoven" on your own, you won't find anything special. Basic plot of there a villians trying to kidnap dogs to do illegal experimental tests. One of the puppies escape the villians. The puppy runs to a home with a dad who refuses to have pets. But when his children beg and beg, he lets them have the puppy they name "Beethoven". The main villian comes back to get the puppy once again. But will the father save the dog he hates in time? You'll have to find out. :-D

Not my type of movie, but show it to your kids or family.

Ladies and Gentlemen: Sir Charles Grodin

Author: Jordan Myers from Tempe, AZ
4 January 1999

Do you enjoy movies with excessive groin biting, stupid mobsters (see "Blank Check"), nauseating cuteness, and the precise timing and rapier wit of Charles Grodin? Then, God help us, Beethoven is for you. Memo to David Duchovny: start buying the copies before the kids who watch this are old enough to stay up for X-Files. It's called credibility, Dave, look into it. Watching Beethoven in the theaters is wonderful. Just me and a friend, and a Mormon family, who, after walking into the theater seventy-five minutes late, gave us dirty looks for yelling well-deserved sarcastic remarks at the screen. "Beethoven" is for people who think "Blankman" was robbed at the Oscars.

Great movie

Author: vlopezruiz from United States
3 April 2012

20 years after this movie came out and it can still surprise you. I first watched about two or three years ago and I very much liked it. What really surprised me is that even the bad guy, Dr. Varnick, made me laugh. This movie is funny and appropriate for children. It does contain some things that parents might consider inappropriate for children who are very little or who are sensitive. Some material might be frightening, but overall it's a nice movie. It will make you laugh, especially the dog-nappers.

The Saint Bernard became the center of attention of the whole family.At the beginning I thought that the family wouldn't accept the dog, but I kept my hopes up. I would recommend this movie to anyone in general.

Marginally funny laughing at Grodin

Author: SnoopyStyle
27 July 2014

Beethoven is a St Bernard puppy who escapes from a couple of dog thieves (Stanley Tucci, Oliver Platt). He follows George Newton (Charles Grodin) into his house. The kids fall in love with him and his wife Alice (Bonnie Hunt) wants to keep the puppy. It's a battle between George and Beethoven for the run of the house as he grows into a giant dog. He's trying to sell a business deal to Brad (David Duchovny) and Brie (Patricia Heaton). The dog is super smart and becomes the family's best friend. Evil vet Dr. Varnick (Dean Jones) has a sideline selling dogs for evil experiments while working with the dog thieves.

It's the grumpiness of Charles Grodin that makes this marginally funny. He allows the audience to laugh at him and there are some pretty good slapstick fun. It's mostly good family fare with a really evil villain. The bad guys are a little too ridiculous. That takes a little bit away from an otherwise fun family movie.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]