IMDb > Bébé's Kids (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bébé's Kids

Bébé's Kids More at IMDbPro »

The Kids That About Drove Everyone Crazy.

Author: tfrizzell from United States
1 November 2003

African-American comedian Robin Harris had a comedy routine about crazed youngsters only known as "Bebe's Kids". In spite of his death his idea developed into this ho-hum animated feature. Harris (in cartoon form and voiced by another actor) meets a beautiful woman at a mutual friend's funeral. Immediately they start to click, but trouble looms when the woman is supposed to watch a friend's children (the titled characters). Thus the group goes to a theme park and all hell breaks loose as the youngsters seem to be little more than hoods that unwittingly try to control everything everywhere they go. Starts out pretty well, but wears out its welcome as it progresses. The novelty disappears pretty quick and we are left with a silly and tiring cartoon. 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Is this how the Proud Family got started?

Author: anthony-rigoni from United States
5 June 2012

This pointless movie tells the story of Robin Harris(A well-known African American stand-up comedian) and his misadventures at an amusement park with three kids so bratty I keep thinking they're like Angelica Pickels from the Rugrats, only 3 times brattier. If I didn't know any better, I swear this movie was created by the same people who made a Disney TV series called the Proud Family. Does the character artwork look familiar to you? Although the animation looked decent, the movie absolutely makes no sense whatsoever with its pointless scenes and songs so forgettable I swear that they were written by the same morons who did the song writing for Tom and Jerry the Movie, A Troll in Central Park, and that god-awful Titanic the Legend Goes On. I mean, what's up with them?! Were they traumatized by Singin' in the Rain(Not likely, because I happened to love Singin' in the Rain^_^) and A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum(Another great movie) and thought those movies were so bad that in revenge they wrote crappy musical numbers?! Man alive! It must be a freaking epidemic of god-awful animated musicals! And don't get me started on the tag-line for the movie! "It's Animation"? That's the best tag-line you can come up with?! "It's Animation"?!! If it were up to me, the tag-line would be like this: "It's God-Awful Animation with a God-Awful Plot". Don't watch this movie because like Tom and Jerry, Titanic: The Legend Goes On, and A Troll in Central Park, the musical numbers in Bebe's Kids are pointless and hopeless.

A personal experience turned into a goofy movie (:

Author: Mcninjakiitty from United States
30 April 2013

I found it hilarious , but I have an open mind . You need one of course, you can't watch this movie expecting it to be more than it really is. Which is a comedian explaining how his date with this girl went. What's there not to talk about it was down right funny !!! :D I'm sure if all of you had a chance to illustrate your worst date that had a couple of laughs , you would. It's not meant do to anything else but tell you the story of robin Harris' date , and what a disaster it turned out to be. But in the end , kids are kids. No matter how rambunctious they are , we were all kids and did or at least wanted to do the same destruction. ' cuz were Bebe's Kids !! We don't die ! We multiply !!

"We don't die, We Multiply !"

Author: adrianeverett74 from United States
28 September 2008

Robin meets Jamika and her son and her friend's rowdy hell bent for leather children, Bebe's Kids ! A visit to a fun park turns into pandemonium and then a last minute trip to Vegas turns out the lights on the strip. Everywhere Bebe's Kids go they use their war cry like a flag "We don't die, We Multiply !"

This movie is based on a short comedy skit by late great comedian Robin Harris. Originally there were four Bebe's kids but for the movie there are three. It was funny for it's time and is one of Paramount's most under marketed animated movies of all time. Even today on DVD it is discontinued as Paramount Execs really don't know how to cater to African American Movie Watchers.

If you want to find a near mint condition copy on either VHS or DVD for cheap try Ebay or your local Video Outlet's Previously Viewed Shelf.

Black men's life animation style

Author: IrockGswift (IrockGswift@aol.com) from east orange, new jersey
11 March 2003

This cartoon is the best African-American cartoon movie since Fat Albert. It gives a view of how black men deal with single-women with children. A man having to take responsibility of looking after kids that weren't his,and knowing that the kids are the total package with the mother. A excellent movie and a summary of some African-American life in the ghetto.

an antidote to Disney

Author: Michael Neumann from United States
6 November 2010

Because so many children's animated films are actually only thinly disguised morality lessons and/or merchandising gimmicks, it's refreshing to find an acerbic, often tasteless cartoon feature willing to promote a little healthy skepticism instead. The basic premise, suggested by what had been a familiar routine by the late stand-up comedian Robin Harris, might resemble typical Saturday morning TV fodder: the gruff but (almost) lovable Harris (a kindred spirit to W.C. Fields) is conned into chaperoning a trio of pint-sized troublemakers to Fun World, a local amusement park. But underneath the rap soundtrack padding and heartfelt, homeopathic preaching about the virtues of self-esteem is a good deal of subversive, post-Rodney King cynicism. Fun World itself is analogous to White America in the 1990s, complete with secret police, remote surveillance, and a robot Richard Nixon (sounding not unlike Jimmy Stewart). The film was originally planned as a live-action comedy, but it probably works better as animation, where the cartoon exaggeration can be an advantage. Favorite character: little Baby Pee-Wee, with a voice "like a hundred packs of cigarettes" and a constant cloud of flies around his sagging diaper.

The King Of Movies!!!

Author: Swinger-11 from OHIO
20 November 1998

Move over Citizen Kane, Bebe's kids is the absolute greatest film ever made! Great animated cinematography, brilliant animated acting, and a cute touching animated story bring this film to prominance. It is a neglected comic gem about a black family, that will leave you feeling good inside. I would highly recommend that you rent or buy it today! Or even better write the studio and demand they re-release the film back into theaters! ***** out of ****

This is the worst movie I have ever seen!!!

Author: bmitchell3000 from Texas
24 April 2005

My brother was working at a movie theater when I saw this movie; I saw it for free and still walked out. I have seen a lot of movies in my time but this was the worst. When people ask me what the worst movie I have ever seen was I mention this movie in less than one second. This movie is bad because it goes from one lame plot set-up to the next, it encourages stereotypes about blacks that are sickening and the flow is awful. If you want to see how to make children cry and vomit at the same time then study this movie. Okay, this movie is not good "bad" but terrible bad. If you are like one of those people that watch horrible movies for fun, like me, you will not even be able to make it through this very short film. Please for the love of God destroy all copies of this movie.

This movie is just plain AWFUL

Author: kill-the-boxtrolls from United States
11 May 2011

BEBE'S KIDS is one of the worst animated films I've ever seen.

OK, let's go with the plot: The movie starts out in a funeral. Robin and his sweetheart date to go to a place called "Fun World" (spoof of Disneyland). Using Bebe's Kids (the title of the movie), these children wanna go cause mischief in the theme park and intentionally break the rules on purpose. They steal merchandise from a store and they even destroy the park by roaming around a pirate ship (spoof of Peter Pan) killing people. Robin decides to then take these bad-ass kids home.

Now the plot, I'm sure it is something referred to popular shows like Rugrats, Bratz, South Park etc., but I also heard it's a Simpson-like, Boondocks (2005) cartoon. These shows were absolutely successful, but Bebe's Kids is on the list of the most nostalgic cartoons to ever hit television.

The plot didn't go as great as I expected and I mean, the flow had flaws too.

The animation, much like The Proud Family I'm sorry to admit it's sloppy and unoriginal. The animation is SO horrible it's like a four-year-old made it and it blinded my godforsaken eyes!!! The music is like a two-year-old written it. It's so darn bad it hurts the ears!!! This script was busted and the visuals were terrible. Please avoid this... if you want to watch something about children breaking the rules, wreaking havoc, causing mischief etc. I recommend: RUGRATS, SIMSPONS, SOUTH PARK, THE BOONDOCKS, MONSTERS, INC.

Sorry, I can't exaggerate this film, you will have to look at my list: Mischievous Children. Some of the cartoons in there are SO much better than BEBE'S KIDS and they also have bad-ass children too.

You know, Paramount hasn't come THAT far since the old "Popeye" cartoons.

Author: Victor Field from London, England
24 December 2002

"Bebe's Kids" demonstrates how hard it really is to make an animated feature; I don't just mean in terms of drawing, etc, but in terms of concept. The Hudlin brothers had originally planned to do a live-action movie about the comedian Robin Harris's characters of Bebe's kids, but after his death they decided to go the animated route - but from the finished result you wonder why they even bothered.

Robin meets the lovely Jamika (at a funeral!) and makes a date with her and her son for the weekend, but finds the deal involves bringing along her friend's children - Bebe herself never appears - and the three kids are a lot rougher than Jamika's kid. In addition to having to go with them all to the extortionately-priced amusement park where most of the movie takes place, Robin also has to cope with his ex-wife and her friend (who's convinced that they'll get back together), and it must be said that the parts of the movie involving him are much better than when it involves the title characters.

Not only are Bebe's kids (in addition to lacking any personality) much less sympathetic and much less funny than Robin, but they have to shoulder the blame for the movie self-destructing when they break into a secret underground section of the park; cue battles against robots and messages delivered with all the subtlety of a Mack truck. The movie wants to appeal to both adults and children, but never comes off as anything - you can tell the Hudlins weren't too experienced with animation, and they've stayed away from it since then. Thank heaven.