IMDb > "Bastard!!" (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Bastard!!" More at IMDbPro »"Basutado!! Ankoku no hakaishin" (original title)

What's in a Name?

Author: Quicksand from United States
25 April 2002

Anyone who doesn't have an enormous amount of respect and amusement for a story about an evil wizard/swordsman named Dark Schneider, who was killed 10 years ago and has been living in the body of a little boy ever since-- and who casts spells which seem to be named after 1980's hair bands (depending on who translated your rental copy)-- just is never going to get what "Anime" is all about.

Two animated thumbs up. I laughed, I cried, I fell out of my chair.

Anime purists may be annoyed that I didn't get every single fact or term right in that first paragraph, but while I may not be the biggest Anime freak in the world, it's just a testament to the greatness of "Bastard" that I love the thing so much, and wish more scripts-- animated or not-- could have this great a sense of humor, mixed with this amount of raw testosterone. Mm, baby.

Vote early, vote often. 10/10.

Dark Schneider is my hero!

Author: Jessica Carvalho from Brazil
23 June 2006

''Basutâdo! Ankoku no hakaijin '',more well known as ''Bastard!!!'' is in my top list of favorite anime series. The author, Kazushi Hagiwara is a heavy metal fan and also a RPG player (in special Dungeons and Dragons) and one of the cooler things I see in this anime, is that Kazushi uses many names of his favorite bands in spells or characters in the story.(like Judas Priest, Whitesnake, Anthrax, and Megadeth, Venom and Helloween) Sadly the series until now doesn't have an end, since the creator was arrested.

Bastard!!'s plot is about sorcery, revenge, and other powerful struggles in a world very similar to the RPG ones. (People need magic to survive against the monsters, for example) And there is any other hero who looks Dark Schneider, a guy who is a pervert, cold hearted and the most powerful wizard of the world!

Anime meets heavy metal bands.

Author: JG2001
9 March 2000

Bastard is very amusing because many of names of things in the series are based loosely off of heavy metal bands. Seriously, I'm not kidding here. If you know your heavy metal bands, you'll be able to figure out when a certain band is being referred to. Example: A major attack spell is a loose adaption of the band Mega Death. There are nations named after Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. While the series is very graphic, it's not very serious at all and very funny to watch with friends.

I think that was great!!

Author: Jack Denton from United States
17 November 2003

Well after seeing many Animes like Berserk, Lodoss War, Vampire Hunter D, X, and Hellsing, Bastard came as a nice surprise to me.

Actually I would say Bastard encapsulates the courage of men of Berserk, the will to fight on of Hellsing, and a nice love story of Vampire Hunter D.

I don't know why the main character has a German name (Schneider) but he is the Bastard. After Berserk's Gatsu, Dark Schneider is the perfect replacement. Ok, he has the bad habbit to get slapped in every battle, but he always stands up again, and teaches his foes the meaning of life really. In the end unifiying them to form the Return of the Heroes...

Great Great Anime, see it at all cost

Also has some great funny scenes...

Really tremendous!

Author: silversurfer
26 March 2002

Bastard!! quite frankly, is a great show period. Screw that it is anime - it is corn ball funny and very good. It sucks you into the story straight away and has you wanting to watch all 6 episodes straight.

As a side note- I never heard of this anime and only bought it because my wife and I bought the action figures for it (which kick much ass!)

If you like fanatsy, sword and sorcery type stuff this is great stuff

What's in a Name?

Author: Quicksand from United States
22 April 2003

Two animated thumbs up. I laughed, I cried, I fell out of my chair.

Vote early, vote often. Both the Japanese and English translation copies seem to have their own IMDB pages, so do what you gotta do. 10/10

Well worth a rental.

Author: Nick Wester from San Jose, California
23 March 2002

I seriously can't believe more people haven't seen this anime. I seem to be the only one to have even voted for it yet. Not so good considering it's 10 years old.

This one has everything: great characters, great plot, the usual. At parts it can be a little predictable, and for a few minutes in one of the early episodes, it gets embarassingly hentai-like... But it's over real quick and the rest of the series more than makes up for it. The only other complain I have is that it ended too early, but since the producer squandered all his funds on assorted powders, all illegal, there isn't much that can be done. Someone once said that they were close to finding another producer... But that may just be a rumor.

The Best

Author: Michael Archangel
25 December 2014

This series was inspired by D&D and Heavy metal music.This anime adaptation is from the manga.It one of the best manga's of all time.The series is taken from 40-50 chapters of the manga.This anime is made 1992, and manga itself started in 1988 (its still a ongoing series).The characters are extremely well done.The voice acting is especially is good.This anime is a gem from the 90's.If you are a fan of Dark fantasy and post apocalyptic world this anime is for you.This anime is a mix of both.Its just 6 episodes, yet this still managed to make it excellent. The manga started in 1988, and sold over 30 million copies by the time it was 2008.Check it out for yourself. 10/10.

one great magic themed anime!

Author: Adam k (cromm-2) from Edinburgh
10 January 2007

This one is fresh for me - I am still impressed by the movie.

I would recommend it to every anime and fantasy fan. It may not be extremely serious and contains well placed gags and jokes, not to mention some decent hentai stuff, it's not all laughs though.

I was genuinely sad for a few moments (Arshes Nei moments,) at others I laughed like crazy. there is a lot to be said for this movie - mainly good things. The bad - not really any there except sometimes for the a bit too much powered-up main character - really, sometimes I thought that it would be much more interesting with more fair fighting. And like always - don't, repeat don't choose English dubbing, it's much more reasonable to listen to the professional and very well chosen Japanese dubbers. The spells sound much better as well.

One more thing - I had a look at the manga - in this case i think the anime and manga are well on par - both are great.

oh it was SO good a movie! wish there was much more! Highly recommended