IMDb > Baraka (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Baraka

Baraka More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 16: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Masterful fusion of musical brilliance and cinematic genius

Author: nicholas73 from Australia
26 November 2006

It is difficult to say anything about this film except that it is an absolutely masterful work of art. I could watch this over and over again. Certainly if you have a good audiovisual set-up with projector or widescreen and a good sound-system, the film knocks you for six. The message for me was cosmic in its proportions, and the cinematography was tastefully and powerfully chosen to deliver it. But even more magnificent than the imagery for me was the music - haunting, at times aching with pathos and at other times majestic in cosmic grandeur - all of it bordering on the sacred. My favourite sections of the score were the theme accompanying the images of the stars moving across the sky (with that diminished fifth adding upper harmonic richness to the cathedral-organ majesty of the harmony); and, best of all, the music that accompanies the images of the poor people salvaging what they can find on the rubbish tip - combined with the imagery, its enough to punch holes right through your heart.

To the people who made this masterpiece of cinema - I thank you with all my heart - this Earth needs more geniuses like you!

One of the best movies I have ever seen

Author: ach5 from Germany
24 November 2006

What initially caught my attention was the strange name Baraka which sounded so special. I wanted to know what this word means, why the movie is called Baraka. Then while I was watching the movie, I almost cried. My emotions and thoughts were so strong that even now - 5 years after I have watched it - I see scenes from the movie in front of my eyes. What impresses me in Baraka and makes the movie so special to me is the pure beauty and peace that pours out from the scenes. This combines with unearthly beautiful music! This year I have seen other documentaries (We feed the world, Earthlings, etc.) that deal with the topic about relations between man and nature/environment. They are also more naturalistic. In contrast, Baraka does not make any clear statements, simply shows and provokes.

Food for the right part of the brain

Author: Franck from Soyland
25 October 2006

This is "Koyaanisqatsi " done right for the sensitive type.

Is it a film? I don't know. So if it's a good film, I don't know either.

This magnificent work, however, touched me more than any other movie I ever saw (and I've seen A LOT http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=757316). Must be because I just love to have the right part of my brain (the non-verbal, non-linear one) titillated, like in "Eraserhead", "2001", or long sequences without dialog in De Palma movies. And just like in "2001", when eschatologic implications are present, I'm all eyes and ears. I was with "Koyaanisqatsi" too, but for several reasons I didn't enjoy it much.

The first time I saw Baraka, when I got out the theater, I simply couldn't speak for half an hour, finding myself in the total incapacity of building sentences. The left part of my brain was kinda shut down. Great trip! *LOL*

There should be a special reward for the people who made this piece of Art, that is so timeless that it will certainly live longer than most filmed productions. Glorious 70mm cinematography with unique, breathtaking, unforgettable images.

Baraka is to be attended in premium conditions: no noise, no children running around the room, good 16/9 TV set, no hurry, no non-stop-talking "friend", good loudspeakers... it's quite worth the effort.

Totally acknowledgeable

Author: suscrip-ciones from Spain
26 September 2006

I saw this film-documentary, 3 times in the same week.

My friend it did not want to explain to me before. Only he said me: you do not speak and watch it; you do not ask and watch it. Later we spoke about the film.

This film disturbed it my conscience. When I leave the cinema I could not articulate word.

And still, after these 6 years that are past, after seeing it in cinema... not yet I can speak on which I felt when seeing it in complete screen.

This film is not commercial. Soon they retired it of the cinemas. Now I am looking for where to buy it in DVD to be able to see it in my house, time and time again.

Sad, very hard... but real and totally recommendable.

A beautiful reflection about the madness of the human.

Ayla, Madrid 26 September 2006

Visual art work

Author: mydailyfacade from United States
9 May 2006

This film is a piece of living, moving, and breathing artwork. The visual imagery is amazing along with the soundtrack, this film is perfect for those of us who are tired of the hustle and bustle and mindless chitter, chatter of everyday life. It was made a decade ago but I only stumbled across this recently. I think it applies well to today's society whose inhabitants are in dire need of spiritual cleansing and rebirth. It not only fills a spiritual peace that's unseen in many of today's story-oriented line of films and documentaries but it makes political and social commentary while doing so. The most amazing thing about this film is there are no words spoken. It is like going on a spiritual retreat!

Fantastic photography

Author: ruljo from Slovenia
28 March 2006

This is truly one of the most fascinating movies I've ever seen; it can only be compared to Koyaanisqatsi. You can hardly call it a documentary, yet a movie. It's more a collection of stunning shots from all over the world that seem just random in the beginning but reveal a complex composition toward the end. The story is told with the fantastic photography, contrasting the superficiality of the western world with deep spirituality of other ancient cultures thus revealing perplexity of the modern way of living.

Ah, what the heck, I'm just losing my time writing this review, you should see a masterpiece like this by yourself!

almost a remake

Author: speeed20 from United States
27 March 2006

much of the footage and even music for this movie came from an earlier project that director Godfrey Reggio worked on, called 'Koyaanisqatsi'. . . . http://imdb.com/title/tt0085809/ . . . Koyaanisqatsi is a bit dated, as far as colors and quality goes, but it's still interesting. but Baraka is more directed toward ethnic and cultural diversity than Koyaanisqatsi, which is more about urban sprawl and the effects of mass culture.

baraka is an extremely beautiful film, and for those of you who are looking to see it, expect something more of a documentary set to music than a traditional movie with a plot and characters. it's a film i love to have playing in the background of social events. it's perfect for providing good music and great visuals.

masterpiece

Author: user-7607 from United States
21 December 2005

This movie is a movie without a blaringly obvious theme, or message, or story. The whole idea it that you use your brain and make it what you want it. It is the most beautiful movie I've ever seen, and what makes it even more of an impact is that there's no special effects. The beauty you see is real! you live in that world! but also be aware that it has some very serious messages about the pain and suffering in the world too. Overall, watch this movie if you're among friends and if you're ready to devote your attention to it or you will become lost. My eyes never left the screen, and never wanted too. This movie should be a requirement for all people in the world.

In a few words, revealing, magnetic, raw and exotic.

Baraka, the essence of life.

Every one have to see it!!!!

Author: Juan Carlos Fondeur from Dominican Republic
29 November 2005

It's Just Amazing!

I think that every one have to see it, I'm in Dominican Republic, there is too hard to get DVDs like this one, so I had to wait one year to get it, I asked someone that went to the US to buy it for me, but this film deserves the waiting.

Amazing soundtrack: Baraka have an extraordinary soundtrack, well i bought the DVD cause the soundtrack, when i read that there is the host of seraphim of dead can dance in the score i Just said: I Have to Buy it!!

Amazing locations: When i see Baraka i feel like my soul is flying around the world!

You have to see it!!!

Within or without

Author: ramone0 from Romania
19 October 2005

A great movie. Every person sees it differently, like through their own looking glass. Everyone else sees something else. I see the world we live in, in its hidden aspects. The aspects we hide from ourselves. It is close to the Truth. I wonder, if our world is this awful, but we see it sweet, how come we survive ? we live on Illusion ? I wonder, if I were God, and I had this world to take care of, would I keep it ? Would I bother trying to get something good out of it ? WOuld it be worth my efforts and patience ? and my answer is NO. So, I have to bow and thank God for his great patience and mercy, for bearing us as we are, for loving us, after we all but destroyed his work.