The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (TV Series 1992–1993) Poster

Experiencing the early 1900s with Indiana Jones!
fred-kolb5 September 2008
First of all, I want to take this opportunity to congratulate and thank George Lucas. He has been bashed quite often, recently for the Star Wars prequels and the new Clone Wars movie, but "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" is one of his greatest works ever, and even though it was never as popular as he had hoped for, he tried everything to keep the series going for as long as possible. Thank you for that! Now, don't expect something like the Indiana Jones movies when buying or renting this, because in that case, you will be disappointed. Archaeology is only featured in 2-3 episodes and there is a lot less action. But, if you are interested in seeing an exceptional TV Series, that invites you to be entertained and educated at the same time and you want enjoy a wonderful journey through the first two decades of the past century, this might be what you've been looking for.

The character of Young Indiana Jones is portrayed by two actors in this series. Corey Carrier starrs as an 8 year old Indiana Jones, who travels around the world with his parents, the strict professor of medieval studies Henry Jones, Sr. and his caring mother Anna. They are also joined by Miss Seymour, an Oxford tutor, who teaches Indy everything about the history and culture of the countries they visit. Indy usually gets separated from his parents and Miss Seymour and explores everything on his own. Then a 16 year old Indy is portrayed by Sean Patrick Flanery. Indy participates in the Mexican Revolution and, being inspired by their causes and their resolute way of taking action against their enemies, decides to sign up in the Belgian Army and fight in World War I. In Mexico he also meets Remy, a Belgian, who will accompany him in many of his adventures.

Most episodes start and end with so-called bookends, 3 or 4 minute segments starring George Hall as an Old Indiana Jones, who usually tells the stories of his youth to stubborn and arrogant people, with the purpose of making them better persons. Those bookends often provided some historical background for the episodes, but were cut out for the DVD releases in 2007. A shame, in my opinion.

The series starts of great, already, with an awesome pilot that takes Indy to Egypt and Mexico, hunting down a tomb robber. After that the series leads Indy to many exotic locations, including British East Africa, the Congo, Barcelona, Petrograd, Vienna, Peking, the Ganges River, the South Pacific Islands etc. The cinematography is absolutely spectacular and on a big TV screen the images look magnificent. In this series, the world is shown more beautifully than hardly ever before.

Lucas created this series for historical purposes, and Indy is involved in many events that actually took place, like the Mexican Revolution, a safari with Teddy Roosevelt, or the Battle at Verdun. There he also meets many famous people of that time including Pablo Picasso, Howard Carter, Sigmund Freud, Charles de Gaulle, E.M. Forster, Ernest Hemingway and many others.

Besides that, the series also features quite a bunch of famous actors in supporting roles, like Elizabeth Hurley as Indy's first great love in London, Vanessa Redgrave as her mother, Catherine Zeta-Jones as a dancer and spy in a mission in Palestine, Daniel Craig as a German officer, Jeffrey Wright as Sidney Bechet, Friedrich von Thun as Albert Schweitzer and Christopher Lee as Austrian Foreign Minister Czernin. Harrison Ford actually reprises his role as an Old Indiana Jones in one of the episodes.

The series has been nominated for many awards, including 25 Emmy awards, but wasn't very successful when first aired, mainly due to the fact that people expected a huge action series, similar to the movies with Ford. Don't make that mistake. Like I said before, if you want to be entertained and educated at the same time, treat your eyes with the most beautiful locations on Earth and meet historical persons, watch this series. You definitely won't be sorry!
31 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best thing on TV in its day
Adrian Sweeney17 May 2009
In fact one of the best things on television ever. The production values! The world locations! The casts! The action sequences! The star directors involved! Did George Lucas personally spend half his vast fortune providing the budgets?

Indiana Jones, as a young man or child, has a series of adventures, highly entertaining ones as he gets older and takes part in various revolutions and the First World War, and on the way encounters many of the great or notorious figures (and important ideas) of the early twentieth century. He has romances with Mata Hari and a suffragette played by Elizabeth Hurley. His mum is chatted up by Puccini, his dad teaches him about democracy in Athens. He befriends Tolstoy, Schweitzer, Hemingway, Kafka, Erich von Stroheim and Lawrence of Arabia to name but some. Even as a reasonably educated grown-up I learned a lot, in particular about lesser-known fronts of WWI; but all in the form of thrilling Boy's Own adventures - some of the war episodes especially are as good as any film.

Amid uniformly excellent casts Sean Patrick Flanery as the university-aged Indiana and Lloyd Owen as his father must be singled out. But almost every role is filled by someone great, usually a stalwart British character actor. (To give some idea of the expense and trouble that must have been gone to, Harry Enfield, then already a huge star here, appears in one episode as a chauffeur who if I remember rightly doesn't even talk.)

Really this is the best thing George Lucas has ever done. (I hope at some point he does something similar for other periods of history - I would love him to get the rights to the Flashman books, for example.) Tremendously entertaining, and a good thing to get hold of for a youngster you'd like to learn a bit of history.
12 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A truly great TV series; should have lasted longer.....
sbieg-16 October 2005
We are surrounded by garbage. Look at what the TV industry tries to pass off as entertainment and I think you will agree. For every quality TV show produced there are several not worth watching. One of the gems was the "Young Indiana Jones" series. It was funny, somewhat educational, showed historical incidents from an interesting prospective, if not always accurate – one a younger viewer would enjoy enough to watch. It was very well written and touched on the facts laid out in the movies showing Indy as a middle aged Nazi fighter. In a one-hour show we were taken on a trip from today, to a time about 90 years ago, and back to today. It showed how an incident from this long ago as meaning in today's world. A life touched during WWI can make a huge difference in what happens today. A vacation taken with Teddy Roosevelt in 1906 can be tied t things happening today in a very interesting way. I would recommend this show for anyone – all ages will enjoy this show. For a TV show the production value was very good. The world shown was as correct as possible given today's limitations. The cars were right, the clothes were correct, and the locations were beautifully filmed. For a T show this is great entertainment.
27 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Vote to Get Young Indiana Jones Released on DVD
mkbeck-124 June 2006
I loved the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. They were great stories full of adventure and always related around historical events. If you are reading this and you loved it also, I have something you can do. The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles is not currently released on DVD. But there is something you can do about it. If you go to Amazon and search for the Chronicles on DVD, It will say that it is not released and has no date set. It will allow you to vote by putting in your email to receive a notice when it is released. Then see if you can get your friends to do the same. I would love to see the Adventures again, but it won't happen unless we speak up. :-)
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very good
goldfinger2a-28 April 2003
I cannot agree with Krumski from Cincinnati, Young Indianna Jones is fresh, production values are better than many films made at the present.

I think Sean Patrick Flanery does a great job of playing Indianna Jones after all he is supposed to be 16/18yrs of age, how would he act....l also think the bringing real life characters into the series made it more realistic as a whole, l think it`s a great series and only wish l had more of them, l only have about 5...

Maybe we in the Uk and not as demanding.....:-)

zorro

9/10 for the series
18 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Indiana Jones ROCKS!!!!
Indyfan821 October 2002
This was one of my favorite tv series and... oh wait, it STILL is!!! Indiana Jones, whether in the movies, or on TV, ROCKS!!! The tv show had Indiana Jones meeting real life history makers and was actually quite educational, which I enjoyed. Of course, episodes like The Treasure of the Peacock's Eye show Indy starting to get into what will become his future career - archeaology. The episodes showing him fighting in The Great War - later known as World War I, are really cool too and really paint an accurate as possible picture of what it really was like. It showed different events in Indy's life that shaped his values and ideas and made him into what he is now. Sean Patrick Flanery did a great job as Indiana Jones. The show rules!
20 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An excellent series
Breaker-412 March 1999
Definitely one of the best series ever put out on TV. The historical intrigue was always interesting. Young Jones meeting Lawrence of Arabia, Picasso, and (my favorite) a very notable young Vietnamese revolutionary always kept your interest up. Plot lines, although sometimes a little trite, were usually well-done and faithful to history. Definitely a good successor to the movies with just enough action to boot.

Too bad it's not still on TV.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Education as it should be - George Lucas's greatest achievement
roystephen-812529 February 2016
George Lucas created the greatest modern fairy tale with Star Wars, and with the Young Indy Chronicles he created the best education program ever. An unparallelled achievement.

(My only gripe is that I really loved the 'Old-Indy bookends' of the original version which were later edited out, but the series remained astounding, nevertheless.) Seriously, this is the best TV series of all time. But it was truly made complete with the DVD edition where the episodes are accompanied by brilliant documentaries. Very thorough, very fascinating. For kids aged cca. 8-15, this is the perfect education about the 20th century. (It was actually intended for schools - it is a shame they haven't discovered it yet.)

Young Indy has everything kids should know about history, philosophy and art, and it is great entertainment, as well. Highly, highly recommended.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This should be on video
eye319 March 1999
It was a ratings flop but that wasn't George Lucas' fault: network t.v. is too small a format for the life of Indiana Jones (even if he is fictional!)

Among other places, young Indy travels to Egypt, Dublin during the Easter Uprising and eastern Africa in World War I. He meets up with historical personages like young, fey Mid-East scholar T.E. Lawrence, more Irish writers and rebels than I can recall here, General Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck and his friend, Karen Blixen (a.k.a. Isak Denisen). And, as the phrase goes, that ain't all!

About only ten episodes were made but each of them is really a cinematic production in its own right, light-years better than your typical movie-of-the-week or mini-series.
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best TV Series
trcolavi7 January 2000
The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles was the Best TV series ever. Each episode Indy took you into WW1. You got to see what war was really like through a soilders eyes. Indy's adventure with the French Intelligence were always full of suspense. I was always amazed by the scenery. And could not believe that each episode was filmed on location. By watching this series, it made me enjoy the movies so much more. I am so happy that people who might have missed the series can get a chance to see it again on video.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I love it
Armand5 September 2014
a war and the roots of a hero. that could be all. but the stories, the humor, the adventure spirit, the memories about Indiana in Spielberg versions does it a rare memorable series. not exactly for details but for the state of spirit, for the inspired manner to present a grow - up, for the small pieces and, sure, for the performance of Sean Patrick Flanery. he does an admirable job and that fact is the axis of the series charm. vulnerable, courageous, naive, wise, the ideal good guy and the discoveries about himself in a delicate manner. I admit, it is one of my favorite series. it is not easy for explain but could be useful the fact than, after two decades , the memories about it remains at high level.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The shaping of a hero..
bluesman-2026 June 2014
When I first Saw The Young Indiana Jones chronicles . I was impressed with the fact it had old Indy tell us the stories. something that has been left off the DVDs sadly. But even without old Indy. We see Henry Jones Jr. shaping into the hero he becomes. George Lucas once said he had Indy's life plotted out. And that Indiana Jones had a extraordinary life. From the Very First episode we see Young Indiana Jones strike up a life long friendship with Lawrence of Arabia. Well before fame found him. The shows introduce historical figures and Indy interacts with them. And it's a lot of fun. Lucas had Indy's life plotted out right up to the Raiders of the Lost ark. And according to him he's got it well plotted after Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Lucas carefully arranged the show to fall into three segments. 1) The Early years. Which deals with Ten year old Indy's adventures. And shows him getting all sorts of advice and we see Young Indy develop traits well know he will use. The adventures are more of a philosophical nature mostly.

2) The War Years. This deals with Indy's service during WWI and the trench scenes are gut wrenching. You want realistic here it is. Volume two is action packed but the weak side is it deals with too much of Indy's romances.

3) The Years of Change. The War is over and Indy returns home only to find nothing has changed. and so he goes to school to become the archaeologist he is today. But he takes several detours along the way. Including a stint in Hollywood. The best thing here is Indiana Jones and the mystery of the blues. Harrison Ford reprises the role of Indy in the beginning and end. But the story is filled with everything you would expect from 1920's Chicago. Including A young Eliot Ness. You like the movies watch the series. You like Indiana Jones watch the series and see how a hero is shaped into becoming the Hero he is. This is maybe one of TV's finest shows ever put out there.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Young Indy finds infatuation in Ireland, but true love in London in 1916.
TxMike8 December 2013
I find these Young Indiana Jones movies very interesting and entertaining. Like most everyone else my introduction to Indy was via Harrison Ford and "Raiders of the Lost Ark." So now, these prequels of sorts allow us to see how young Indy at 10, traveling the world because of his dad, and young adult Indy at 22, traveling the world on his own, already was developing the characteristics we see in the Harrison Ford movies.

Sean Patrick Flanery is really good as the young adult Indy. In this 90- minute movie he and his pal Remy are traveling to Ireland, working their way on a ship. Their ultimate goal is London, they intend to sign up with the Belgian army to fight in France, but they need to stay in Ireland long enough to work and earn money for the remainder of the trip. Ronny Coutteure, a native of Belgium, is Remy Baudouin and together they make a fine team.

In Ireland Indy's eye is turned by a pretty young lass who thinks he is an American millionaire. He doesn't correct that misconception and in his infatuation he ends up spending much of his extra earnings on the girl and her friend, who are not at all bashful about asking him to buy them things. Remy has a conversation with him and Indy realizes it is just an infatuation, and when they leave for London he doesn't even look back.

In London he and Remy sign up at the Belgian recruiting station there, and have a few days before getting their orders. Quite accidentally he meets up with an equally young (both about 26) Elizabeth Hurley as Vicky Prentiss, active with the suffragettes trying to get equal pay for equal work for women. Indy brings her to Cambridge for a day, to meet his old tutor, and there they encounter Winston Churchill over dinner.

Vicky and Indy really do fall in love but she rejects his marriage request, she wanted a career as a writer and knew getting married would not be best for either of them. Indy is distraught, but he sees her at the train station as he ships off with the other Belgian recruits, and they smile at each other.

The most amusing scene was over dinner, just the two of them, Vicky would say something to Indy in a foreign language, and he would respond, fluently, in that same foreign language. French, Greek, Italian, Arabic, Swedish ... until one which he didn't recognize. Asking what language that was she replied, "Welsh." She was surprised he didn't know that one, as Jones is a Welsh name (think the singer, Tom Jones.)

Saw it on DVD from my public library.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great TV series!
cinefreakdude13 November 2010
The adventures of young Indiana Jones is a fantastic, funny, and also educational series. I highly recommend this series to anyone, but you will like it best if you are a die hard Indyfan like myself. Corry Carrier, Sean Patrick Flannery, Ronny Coutteure, and George Hall all do a legendary job of acting! The best thing about The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles is that over the coarse of 22 episodes it really clears up Indy past and gives you the inside story about the adventures, hardships, and romances Indy went through in his years as a kid, years in WW1, and college years. There are three volumes in the series. They are, The Early Years, The War Years, an The Years of Change. The Early Years is the funniest, and probably the most heartwarming, funny and enjoyable. The War Years has the most action and tragedy. For many of the episodes I was on the edge of my seat. The Years of change is the most diplomatic, it doesn't have as must action, though certain episodes such as Treasure of the Peacocks Eye, masks of Evil, and Mystery of the Blues do. The best episode in my opinion is Mystery of the Blues because it has a cameo with Harrison Ford. The whole episode is Indy having a flash back on a memory.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unbeatable Production Values...Good TV Series Overall!
rwdrex28 October 2007
If production values where the only standard, nothing done before or since on television can come close. Shot around the world, with a famous and would be famous international cast and crew. Giving us a fully orchestrated score, 16mm film, 100's of extras, period costuming and set design. Utilizing digital effects (when that was a brand NEW technology) for every episode. The list goes on. Come on what film/television maker or studio would ever back a project as bold and EXPENSIVE as this, except George Lucas?

These episodes begin with a 9 year-old Indy, played by Corey Carrier, starting out on an around the world trip with his parents. They pick up again with a 16 year-old Indy, played by Sean Patrick Flanery, starting out with a simple trip to Mexico and ending up with him in the Belgium army fighting against Germany in World War I. Eventually, these around the world adventures end up with Indiana Jones back home in America shortly before he starts college--"Dr. Jones, I presume;)"

However, the fact is that many of the episodes have more in common with Discovery Channel Docu-Dramas than Indiana Jones movies. The inclusion of famous people every episode is not so bad--it was started with The Last Crusade (remember Hitler's cameo?). It is the almost grade school like history lessons we are treated to EVERY episode that tests one's patience. In some of the episodes the lessons are well placed. In other episodes, the story must stop completely while we LEARN.

Adventure should have been presented first. History's lessons should have been in the context of the story and characters. Instead the story and characters are simply along for the ride. It seems, at times, like Indy is simply watching the TV like the rest of us.

Originally aired as 1 hour episodes, out of sequence I might add, the series varied its style and structure very well. We got a Corey Carrier episode, less adventure more cultural information. And then we got a couple of the more adventurous Sean Patrick Flanery episodes. And lets not forgot the wonderful performance of George Hall, playing a 90+ year old Indy and acting as book-end narrator for most of the first two seasons.

Now a comment on these 2-episode feature length VHS/DVD cuts. The episodes have been spliced together, also out of sequence. Extra footage was shot to merge the episodes together. The added footage shows different hair styles, different costumes, and Corey Carrier's age changes between episodes. Where's George Hall in these DVD's?--his portrayal has been completely removed, as though it never existed. If George Lucas wanted a true representation of this series, he should package them complete, both as they aired and also, in feature-length presentation. DVD's have this ability, two separate versions of the same film/show.

In the end, the audacity of the series, the production, and larger than life stories that Indiana Jones experiences win out. History 101 aside, these episodes are well shot, acted and produced. As the series progressed the character Indiana Jones grew closer to the one we all know and loved in the films. If you can manage to get through the less adventurous episodes, you'll find a grand introduction to one of motion pictures BEST characters.

Now lets hope Lucas has learned some lessons from this show in the creation of his new Star Wars live-action TV show. Like this Indiana Jones series, the Star Wars series is being self produced by Lucas, without a network and without limits. If he focuses on entertaining us FIRST, he'll be able to put in whatever life's lessons he wants SECOND, we might not even mind their presence.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a brilliant portrayal of all the principle personalities of the early 20th Century
ekulp19 August 2000
This is a unique and brilliant piece of historiography. Reminiscent of Upton Sinclair's Lany Budd series, but much better. The places and people and their ideas are presented interestingly, colorfully, and authentically. Ataturk, De Gaule, Schweitzer, Mata Hari, etc., etc.---Wow! The whole thing should be on a video set and redone regularly on TV.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Saturday Morning Matinée
newman-mike18 January 2005
Right now, this is running in the UK - and literally right now I am watching Tales of Innocence. I have seen many of them and I think they are outstanding ENTERTAINMENTS. Yes, there are clips from other action films - so what; the plots, being 'history', are predictable. Though yesterday "Daredevil of The Desert" was great fun. As absurd as it may sound, I have learnt interesting 'facts' - where they ARE facts - around the period of WW1. And which, I believe, is especially important these days when it seems that so many young people know so little and are more easily fed by comic films. Apart from fun, if the kids are watching this, that's a bonus! It's good photography, film work as well as being history and geography and politics. I am not someone who would care to bisect a butterfly just because you can't milk it! Mike Newman
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
about Remy
subat19 February 2003
I saw the series years ago. I had no idea how much it influenced me, and I remember so much of it, now when I see it again, about 10 years later. Love every part of it. I'd like to write something about the late actor who played Remy:

Ronny Coutteure was known to me as Remy, young Indiana Jones' friend. He portrayed him as a loyal friend, someone Indy could always trust on. Always went with him. Maybe because of his appearance or his french accent, he was easy to like as a character, although not the big role, but a permanent one.

Generally serious, non-trouble-maker like Indy, considering options, and most important, funny. He had his funny, comic moments, and this added of course to why fans liked him so easily. Working mainly in French, not so known to English speakers, he was known mainly because of "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles".

So sad to discover he's not with us.

For moments of laughter, happiness and good memories.' A Belgian salute"!
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't be taken in, this show is bad
ubercommando29 August 2004
In terms of production values and what you see on screen, this show is excellent. Lucas and Spielberg have clearly thrown money at this project and it's all up there. Excellent cinematography, great costume and set design, some very good action scenes (the WW1 trench scenes are very well done), great use of locations but...............

The show stinks. Lucas and Spielberg have shown, yet again, throwing money at a project and indulging the art department do not make for good entertainment. Young Indiana Jones, as played by both actors is deathly dull and very irritating. I cannot believe this person will grow into Harrison Ford's portrayal of the character. River Phoenix showed some wit and gave Indy a resourcefullness, cunning and never say die attitude. In this show, Indy just blunders from situation to situation, never learning and never growing as a character. He just stumbles around as a goofy American kid bumping into famous historical figures.

And that's another irritating point about the show. We get treated to yet another rent-a-British-character-actor in period costume saying "hello, I'm Franz Kafka", "I'm T.E. Lawrence", "I'm Charles DeGaulle" and we the audience are supposed to wink at the screen and go "oh isn't that clever how they've woven young Hitler into the story". No, it isn't clever, just cringeworthy; it treats real life and people with a sneer as though they are merely worth a walk on part. The scripts are generally very poor, the dialogue risable and the acting bad; you expect more from a quality European supporting cast but somewhere, and I suspect it's from the directors and producers, it turns into bad pantomime. The history, such as it is, looks good on the surface but reeks of being gleaned from a junior school starter book on the Edwardian and WW1 era. Once again, Hollywood's master cheese makers, Lucas and Spielberg show they are incapable of really getting to grips with real cinematic themes. Set it in the past, show how silly the Europeans were back then, avoid any profundity and just let the dollars pour in.
20 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Whose name is that in the title?
krumski8 February 2000
I caught a few episodes of this on video and, while I thought the production values impressive and the action sequences fairly decent for TV, the project falters just where it needs to be the strongest: namely, in its depiction of Indiana Jones. I can't tell if it's due to the acting limitations of Sean Patrick Flanery or to George Lucas's conception of the character, but as presented here Indy is something of a bore. He is portrayed as too much the naïve and wide-eyed innocent, when what's needed is some of the humor and edginess that River Phoenix brought to the part in the beginning of "Last Crusade." Without a compelling lead - and one who at least has a nodding resemblance to the character we know so well from the movies - the storylines and historical backdrops just become incidental and sink from our memories without a trace.
6 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Indiana Jones only by name and hat
unimatrix97227 November 2011
I have always considered myself as an Indiana Jones fan. I first came across "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" after buying the Video pack of all 3 movies. I was "gifted" with the "Treasure of the Peacock's Eye", which till the last 10 min bares significant resemblance to the classics of Indiana Jones. Then suddenly the story shifts into some 4 years old children story with extremely unsatisfying epilogue. So I decided not to look up the rest of the series.

The controversial "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" had a lot of references to Indy's past (before the movies), which peaked my curiosity and motivated me to try again and watch the entire Young Indiana Jones series, in hope that it would give some additional insights on the character.

I watched the whole thing, all hour and half double episodes, though on more than one occasion I was close to toss the whole pack into the trash for wasting my time. For example, some episodes were barely matching a comedy about any regular growing up teenager who gets his head twisted over a girl, how original...

We have Indy showing up in different parts of the world meeting known politicians, artists, musicians, soldiers, philosophers and more, participating in important historical events and encounters various cultures.

However, the connection between the main character and Indiana Jones is only by name and hat (barely seeing a whip once), the guy knows 27 languages and extremely knowledgeable, however utter lack of self-control and rational thinking, the main theme of is more like Dennis the menace then adventures of a famous archaeologist.

He is usually anti-hero, clumsy and repeats the same mistakes over and over again, and if the situation is resolved, it feels more like luck, rather than Indy's ingenuity, creativity and instincts.

Some of the humor from the movies is kept, like in the episode with the stolen phone, so one tiny thumb up on that one. The variety of the important historical figures is impressive, but sometimes overdone and only rarely gives you a sense of awe they deserve. The show also brings a lot of talented actors who are also skillful at singing and dancing, which is interesting and artistic, but all too often takes too much time of the episode.

What Quantum Leap did so skillfully with just 45 min per episode, Chronicles smears to an hour and a half with very little contribution to the story and to the rhythm of Indiana Jones.

Bottom-line, don't expect it to be an overwhelming experience and thrilling adventure as you got from the movies.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
beautiful
Kirpianuscus29 October 2016
I do not know the source of the fascination in this case. maybe the dose of adventure, history, a credible Sean Patrick Flanery who gives to a too well known character a sort of sensitivity, vulnerability and new nuances of courage. important is only a detail - The Young Indiana Jones Chronicle is a great series. because it has the science and art and force and precision to represent a trip in time. because the clothes and the atmosphere preserves the air of authenticity. because the humor is at right place. because it uses in smart manner the old clichés of genre. short, it is an useful, fascinating delight. and this is the only significant motif to see it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't bother
pensman16 April 2012
I had not seen these episodes but was familiar with Indy as a teenager so I decided to give them a go as they are currently streaming. And I know why I never watched them: boring. Correy Carrier plays the young Jones (age 10/11) as a petulant brat. All I want to do is put the kid over my knee and give him the spanking his father won't. And I suspect George Hall was picked as he could channel the clipped speech and sound of Sean Connery. It couldn't have been for acting ability. While the stories are visually beautiful, I can see where the budget went, and the inclusion of historical characters is interesting, the plots are for the most part slow and slower. Travels with Father is so bad it is a series killer. I guess if you are trapped at home in a snowstorm and there is nothing else available and there isn't a book in the house or even the back of a cereal box to read then you might consider watching these. What was George Lucas thinking÷
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Interesting, if occasionally dull, accompaniment to the movies
Alain English7 May 2008
I remember the "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" only very vaguely. They consisted of being largely historical, fact-based dramas rather than the knockabout adventures of the movies with Indy meeting and learning from people such as Picasso, Tolstoy and Freud. It didn't interest many people, and consequently the series never quite reached completion and many stories were never filmed.

The impending release of the fourth Indiana Jones movie has reignited interest in them, not least in their recent DVD releases. I checked them out in the "Star Wars" website which looked in-depth at the individual episodes as well as the documentaries produced to back them up. The series has been reorganized for DVD now, and the episode bookends, with an older Indiana Jones narrating each episode, have been removed and the stories are now told entirely in complete chronological order. I made it down to my local Blockbuster and rented out Volume One of what's now renamed "The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones".

Whilst it's probably unrealistic to think Indiana Jones met so many people who would later figure strongly in the history books, doing it this way makes for a richer and interesting background that for the most part does work as a drama. Occasionally it does get a bit too dull and talkative, but most of the time a thread of adventure is successfully weaved into the action.

We begin looking at nine year-old Indiana Jones (Corey Carrier) as he accompanies his father Henry Jones Sr (Lloyd Owen) as he travels across the world on a lecture tour. Indy travels to Egypt, France, Russia, Greece and China among other places and later as an older teenager, played by Sean Patrick Flanery, he joins the Belgian Army and fights in World War One.

Corey Carrier maintains interest well as a carefree, risk-taking Indy as he braves the Egyptian pyramids and Parisian backstreets with enthusiasm and spirit. He is well supported by Margaret Tyzack as his typically stern tutor Miss Seymour, as well as Lloyd Owen filling for Sean Connery as Indy's bookish, well-mannered dad. Sean Patrick Flanery picks up the thread later on, playing an older but no less adventurous Indy who falls in love and gets to take on the world. It should be no surprise that Flanery's adventures are more action-packed with considerably more interesting characters and relationships.

Here are the best of the first few episodes of "Young Indiana Jones". If I manage to see further instalments, they will be reviewed separately: "My First Adventure": Young Indy climbs the Egyptian pyramids and gets involved in a murder mystery with Laurence of Arabia.

"The Perils of Cupid": Young Indy needs advice from Sigmund Freud when he visits Austria and develops a crush on a princess. There's a brilliant scene with Indy sneaking around a castle, climbing walls and evading guards, in order to reach his friend.

"Love's Sweet Song": Intending to join the Belgian Army, a teenage Indy crosses the Atlantic Ocean, stopping off in Dublin, Ireland where he gets involved in a local uprising and meets controversial Irish playwright Sean O'Casey.

The series is definitely worth a second chance in the new DVD format. "The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones" can bought or rented from local DVD stores in the UK.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Compliments the Indy films quite well
Mel J19 October 2007
Perhaps my memory has blurred over the years or I'm looking upon this series from the point of the view of the child I was when I used to watch it but 'The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles' was a rather delightful television series aimed at young fans of the 'Indiana Jones' trilogy. The series focuses in on Indy at two stages of his young life. We see a pre-adolescent Indy, between the ages of around ten to twelve, living in far-flung locations as he travels with his archaeologist parents and receives his school lessons from stern but fair governess Miss Seymour. We also see Indy as in his late teens as he becomes more a man than a boy.

Corey Carrier and Sean Patrick Flanery, as little and teenage Indy respectively, give decent performances in their roles. Young Indy is portrayed to be a typical young boy, eager for adventures but, at times, clueless to what is going on around him. The older Indy is more resourceful and self-aware, showing signs of becoming the hero we are familiar with from the films.

There were some rather bland episodes which could have done with more superior script-writing and character depiction. And it would have been a nice touch to focus more on young Indy's relationship with his parents, particularly since the discord between him and his father is a major storyline in the final film of the trilogy 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade'. Also, there was no need to have so many cameos from famous historical figures, which cheapened the series slightly since it's unrealistic to think Indy met so many people who would go down in the history books.

That said, 'The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles' was entertaining and offered an interesting insight into the people and events which influenced on Indiana Jones as a child and helped shape him into the man we know in the films. It's a shame the series isn't on DVD as it would be good to reminisce on the show which kept me interested in the 'Indiana Jones' franchise when I ran out of films to watch.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this