IMDb > "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

Experiencing the early 1900s with Indiana Jones!

Author: fred-kolb from USA
5 September 2008

First of all, I want to take this opportunity to congratulate and thank George Lucas. He has been bashed quite often, recently for the Star Wars prequels and the new Clone Wars movie, but "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" is one of his greatest works ever, and even though it was never as popular as he had hoped for, he tried everything to keep the series going for as long as possible. Thank you for that! Now, don't expect something like the Indiana Jones movies when buying or renting this, because in that case, you will be disappointed. Archaeology is only featured in 2-3 episodes and there is a lot less action. But, if you are interested in seeing an exceptional TV Series, that invites you to be entertained and educated at the same time and you want enjoy a wonderful journey through the first two decades of the past century, this might be what you've been looking for.

The character of Young Indiana Jones is portrayed by two actors in this series. Corey Carrier starrs as an 8 year old Indiana Jones, who travels around the world with his parents, the strict professor of medieval studies Henry Jones, Sr. and his caring mother Anna. They are also joined by Miss Seymour, an Oxford tutor, who teaches Indy everything about the history and culture of the countries they visit. Indy usually gets separated from his parents and Miss Seymour and explores everything on his own. Then a 16 year old Indy is portrayed by Sean Patrick Flanery. Indy participates in the Mexican Revolution and, being inspired by their causes and their resolute way of taking action against their enemies, decides to sign up in the Belgian Army and fight in World War I. In Mexico he also meets Remy, a Belgian, who will accompany him in many of his adventures.

Most episodes start and end with so-called bookends, 3 or 4 minute segments starring George Hall as an Old Indiana Jones, who usually tells the stories of his youth to stubborn and arrogant people, with the purpose of making them better persons. Those bookends often provided some historical background for the episodes, but were cut out for the DVD releases in 2007. A shame, in my opinion.

The series starts of great, already, with an awesome pilot that takes Indy to Egypt and Mexico, hunting down a tomb robber. After that the series leads Indy to many exotic locations, including British East Africa, the Congo, Barcelona, Petrograd, Vienna, Peking, the Ganges River, the South Pacific Islands etc. The cinematography is absolutely spectacular and on a big TV screen the images look magnificent. In this series, the world is shown more beautifully than hardly ever before.

Lucas created this series for historical purposes, and Indy is involved in many events that actually took place, like the Mexican Revolution, a safari with Teddy Roosevelt, or the Battle at Verdun. There he also meets many famous people of that time including Pablo Picasso, Howard Carter, Sigmund Freud, Charles de Gaulle, E.M. Forster, Ernest Hemingway and many others.

Besides that, the series also features quite a bunch of famous actors in supporting roles, like Elizabeth Hurley as Indy's first great love in London, Vanessa Redgrave as her mother, Catherine Zeta-Jones as a dancer and spy in a mission in Palestine, Daniel Craig as a German officer, Jeffrey Wright as Sidney Bechet, Friedrich von Thun as Albert Schweitzer and Christopher Lee as Austrian Foreign Minister Czernin. Harrison Ford actually reprises his role as an Old Indiana Jones in one of the episodes.

The series has been nominated for many awards, including 25 Emmy awards, but wasn't very successful when first aired, mainly due to the fact that people expected a huge action series, similar to the movies with Ford. Don't make that mistake. Like I said before, if you want to be entertained and educated at the same time, treat your eyes with the most beautiful locations on Earth and meet historical persons, watch this series. You definitely won't be sorry!

A truly great TV series; should have lasted longer.....

Author: sbieg-1 from United States
6 October 2005

We are surrounded by garbage. Look at what the TV industry tries to pass off as entertainment and I think you will agree. For every quality TV show produced there are several not worth watching. One of the gems was the "Young Indiana Jones" series. It was funny, somewhat educational, showed historical incidents from an interesting prospective, if not always accurate – one a younger viewer would enjoy enough to watch. It was very well written and touched on the facts laid out in the movies showing Indy as a middle aged Nazi fighter. In a one-hour show we were taken on a trip from today, to a time about 90 years ago, and back to today. It showed how an incident from this long ago as meaning in today's world. A life touched during WWI can make a huge difference in what happens today. A vacation taken with Teddy Roosevelt in 1906 can be tied t things happening today in a very interesting way. I would recommend this show for anyone – all ages will enjoy this show. For a TV show the production value was very good. The world shown was as correct as possible given today's limitations. The cars were right, the clothes were correct, and the locations were beautifully filmed. For a T show this is great entertainment.

Indiana Jones ROCKS!!!!

Author: Indyfan82 from Ohio
1 October 2002

This was one of my favorite tv series and... oh wait, it STILL is!!! Indiana Jones, whether in the movies, or on TV, ROCKS!!! The tv show had Indiana Jones meeting real life history makers and was actually quite educational, which I enjoyed. Of course, episodes like The Treasure of the Peacock's Eye show Indy starting to get into what will become his future career - archeaology. The episodes showing him fighting in The Great War - later known as World War I, are really cool too and really paint an accurate as possible picture of what it really was like. It showed different events in Indy's life that shaped his values and ideas and made him into what he is now. Sean Patrick Flanery did a great job as Indiana Jones. The show rules!

Very good

Author: (goldfinger2a@ntlworld.com) from Yorkshire UK
8 April 2003

I cannot agree with Krumski from Cincinnati, Young Indianna Jones is fresh, production values are better than many films made at the present.

I think Sean Patrick Flanery does a great job of playing Indianna Jones after all he is supposed to be 16/18yrs of age, how would he act....l also think the bringing real life characters into the series made it more realistic as a whole, l think it`s a great series and only wish l had more of them, l only have about 5...

Maybe we in the Uk and not as demanding.....:-)

zorro

9/10 for the series

This should be on video

Author: eye3
19 March 1999

It was a ratings flop but that wasn't George Lucas' fault: network t.v. is too small a format for the life of Indiana Jones (even if he is fictional!)

Among other places, young Indy travels to Egypt, Dublin during the Easter Uprising and eastern Africa in World War I. He meets up with historical personages like young, fey Mid-East scholar T.E. Lawrence, more Irish writers and rebels than I can recall here, General Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck and his friend, Karen Blixen (a.k.a. Isak Denisen). And, as the phrase goes, that ain't all!

About only ten episodes were made but each of them is really a cinematic production in its own right, light-years better than your typical movie-of-the-week or mini-series.

A truly great TV series; should have lasted longer.....

Author: sbieg-1 from United States
6 October 2005

The best thing on TV in its day

Author: Adrian Sweeney from London, England
17 May 2009

In fact one of the best things on television ever. The production values! The world locations! The casts! The action sequences! The star directors involved! Did George Lucas personally spend half his vast fortune providing the budgets?

Indiana Jones, as a young man or child, has a series of adventures, highly entertaining ones as he gets older and takes part in various revolutions and the First World War, and on the way encounters many of the great or notorious figures (and important ideas) of the early twentieth century. He has romances with Mata Hari and a suffragette played by Elizabeth Hurley. His mum is chatted up by Puccini, his dad teaches him about democracy in Athens. He befriends Tolstoy, Schweitzer, Hemingway, Kafka, Erich von Stroheim and Lawrence of Arabia to name but some. Even as a reasonably educated grown-up I learned a lot, in particular about lesser-known fronts of WWI; but all in the form of thrilling Boy's Own adventures - some of the war episodes especially are as good as any film.

Amid uniformly excellent casts Sean Patrick Flanery as the university-aged Indiana and Lloyd Owen as his father must be singled out. But almost every role is filled by someone great, usually a stalwart British character actor. (To give some idea of the expense and trouble that must have been gone to, Harry Enfield, then already a huge star here, appears in one episode as a chauffeur who if I remember rightly doesn't even talk.)

Really this is the best thing George Lucas has ever done. (I hope at some point he does something similar for other periods of history - I would love him to get the rights to the Flashman books, for example.) Tremendously entertaining, and a good thing to get hold of for a youngster you'd like to learn a bit of history.

Vote to Get Young Indiana Jones Released on DVD

Author: mkbeck-1 from United States
24 June 2006

I loved the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. They were great stories full of adventure and always related around historical events. If you are reading this and you loved it also, I have something you can do. The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles is not currently released on DVD. But there is something you can do about it. If you go to Amazon and search for the Chronicles on DVD, It will say that it is not released and has no date set. It will allow you to vote by putting in your email to receive a notice when it is released. Then see if you can get your friends to do the same. I would love to see the Adventures again, but it won't happen unless we speak up. :-)

An excellent series

Author: Breaker-4 from Missouri, USA
12 March 1999

Definitely one of the best series ever put out on TV. The historical intrigue was always interesting. Young Jones meeting Lawrence of Arabia, Picasso, and (my favorite) a very notable young Vietnamese revolutionary always kept your interest up. Plot lines, although sometimes a little trite, were usually well-done and faithful to history. Definitely a good successor to the movies with just enough action to boot.

Too bad it's not still on TV.

Indiana Jones only by name and hat

Author: unimatrix972 from Israel
27 November 2011

I have always considered myself as an Indiana Jones fan. I first came across "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" after buying the Video pack of all 3 movies. I was "gifted" with the "Treasure of the Peacock's Eye", which till the last 10 min bares significant resemblance to the classics of Indiana Jones. Then suddenly the story shifts into some 4 years old children story with extremely unsatisfying epilogue. So I decided not to look up the rest of the series.

The controversial "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" had a lot of references to Indy's past (before the movies), which peaked my curiosity and motivated me to try again and watch the entire Young Indiana Jones series, in hope that it would give some additional insights on the character.

I watched the whole thing, all hour and half double episodes, though on more than one occasion I was close to toss the whole pack into the trash for wasting my time. For example, some episodes were barely matching a comedy about any regular growing up teenager who gets his head twisted over a girl, how original...

We have Indy showing up in different parts of the world meeting known politicians, artists, musicians, soldiers, philosophers and more, participating in important historical events and encounters various cultures.

However, the connection between the main character and Indiana Jones is only by name and hat (barely seeing a whip once), the guy knows 27 languages and extremely knowledgeable, however utter lack of self-control and rational thinking, the main theme of is more like Dennis the menace then adventures of a famous archaeologist.

He is usually anti-hero, clumsy and repeats the same mistakes over and over again, and if the situation is resolved, it feels more like luck, rather than Indy's ingenuity, creativity and instincts.

Some of the humor from the movies is kept, like in the episode with the stolen phone, so one tiny thumb up on that one. The variety of the important historical figures is impressive, but sometimes overdone and only rarely gives you a sense of awe they deserve. The show also brings a lot of talented actors who are also skillful at singing and dancing, which is interesting and artistic, but all too often takes too much time of the episode.

What Quantum Leap did so skillfully with just 45 min per episode, Chronicles smears to an hour and a half with very little contribution to the story and to the rhythm of Indiana Jones.

Bottom-line, don't expect it to be an overwhelming experience and thrilling adventure as you got from the movies.