IMDb > "X-Men" (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"X-Men"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"X-Men" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Outstandingly good!!!

Author: A Bbbbb from Philippines
2 March 2005

I remember in 1993, X-Men the Animated Series is my obsession and I'm not the only one. For a lot of people in my country, 1993 - 1994 is the X-Men craze era. The said cartoon series was one of the highest-rated TV shows at the time. I was especially obsessed with Rogue. She's beautiful and sexy. She of superior strength and when she fights, she rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yet she can't be touched. She's an irresistible temptation to men, especially to Gambit who longs to touch her so much, when she can't be touched.

I was a sappy romantic at heart too so I'm always looking forward to moments between her and Gambit!!! And the people at my school were no different. Different people - different X-Men character favorites and obsessions, collection of X-Men comics and lots of talk about it during breaks, you name it. Even people over 25 watch it. It is little wonder, however, why there was all this fuss about X-Men. The characters' looks and personalities are charismatic and appealing to viewers. They are drawn as sexy and beautiful women and the men as beautiful and sexy as their female counterparts. Each has their own individual history and personalities which viewers simply find lovable and appealing. The plots and stories are exciting and interesting and there's no denying that the MUSIC at the beginning of every episode is REALLY CATCHY!!!!!!!!!!!!! The animated series was simply VERY WELL DONE!!! The fact that this animated series is one of the highest-rated and most-viewed Saturday morning programs in American history to date, that it is very popular in other countries aside from the U.S., and that it boosts sales of X-Men comics--as people who who didn't read x-men comics before this one started reading them as soon as they got obsessed with it--- are proofs that this is definitely one of the best cartoon series in 90s. In my opinion it is the BEST CARTOON SERIES, not just during the 90s but UNTIL NOW!!!!!!

X-Men shows a different idea of heroes. This is unlike Batman and Superman who are loved by ordinary people because they are heroes. X-Men, on the other hand, although fighting for peace and justice, defending their fellow mutants and ordinary men from harm in the process, are hated and feared by those they've sworn to protect. Humankind, that is. Still they continue to protect and defend mankind.

Marvel really did it right with this one and it could NOT be said that Batman and/or Superman animated series is/are superior than this one. X-Men The Animated Series(90s) is undeniably one of the most excellent, most watched and ultra-popular cartoon series up to this day!!!!!!!!

Great show

Author: Pimpin` Critic 69 from Your Critic of Critics
1 July 2002

This was an exciting and great show. It featured good story lines, great character development, and good animation. This show is definitely better than the movie because it takes it's time to tell us a good story. Also it was quite faithful to the comics.

X-Appeal

Author: DarthBill from United States
8 April 2004

I remember back in 1992 when this show debuted, I thought it was one of the best cartoons on the air, along with "Batman: The Animated Series". The characters had great powers but no one was so incredibly powered that they couldn't get knocked down and knocked around. Plus they were always getting on each others nerves. As cool as Wolverine and Gambit were, I always held great fondness for Cyclops and Beast, I guess because I admired Cyclops for being so stalwart and steadfast and Beast for being so damn smart, laid back and intelligent. Gambit's love/hate relationship with Rogue, the hottest virgin super-heroine in comic books, was always good for a laugh and only occasionally got dramatic but never so much that it got sappy. Professor Xavier, Storm, Jean, and Jubilee rounded out the cast of heroes with their own powers and self-doubts and dreams. Well, actually the only character who probably didn't benefit from the series was Jean Grey, who for some strange reason was always fainting in action scenes. I'm guessing the writers simply didn't have a good grasp of her character or a strong idea of how to make her powers look cool and dynamic compared to the weather controlling Storm, high flying super tanker Rogue or even fire work shooting Jubilee.

One of my few regrets/complaints about this show was that the X-Men's big villain, Magneto, was only a villain or rather a well meaning if twisted and tainted anti-hero for only the first two episodes in which he appeared, and so the role of #1 agitator to the X-Men went to Mr. Sinister during the 2nd season along with the usual stock villains of racist Americans. The first 3 seasons were probably the best, after that it kind of started to wane. Also I regret that Colossus and Night-Crawler were not regular members of the cast, as Night-Crawler was a very soulful character and Colossus, well, he's just so damn cool.

But these complaints are very minor in light of what was otherwise one of the best comic book to cartoon adaptations ever to air. Certainly superior to the now defunct Wolverine & the X-Men, though X-Men Evolution featured a stronger version of Jean Grey.

The X-Men later made some guest appearances on "Spider-Man", which had a lot of promise and brighter animation but ultimately squandered its potential. Captain America later guest starred in both X-Men and Spider-Man.

One of the best cartoons to grace television

Author: B.R. (Havoc1) from Chicago, USA
16 August 1999

The X-Men Animated Series was great, hands down. Sure, it wasn't the comic -- and yes, the X-Men lineup stayed the same through all six seasons... but it handelled very well. In some ways I wish the comic could have been more concise like the Animated Series was. Some guest characters (Dazzler, my favourite X-Man, for one) weren't portrayed very well, especially in the explenation of their mutant powers, but it was very cool to see it all piece together.

The X-Men had it's share of continuity problems, however. In season 1, for example, everything was loosely played off of the comics. For instance, the X-Men did NOT know Warren Worthington III (Angel/Archangel). Later on through the series, however, Angel is shown as an original X-Man. Iceman was also later guest-starred as an original X-Man, and Polaris was shown as a former X-Man as well. Other than that, though, the team is set as Wolverine, Rogue, Gambit, Cyclops, Storm, Jean Grey, Jubilee, Beast and Professor X. Some great storylines were the Phoenix Saga, Dark Phoenix Saga and the Phalenx Covenant.

Just about any X-Man you can think of was cameoed as well. Except for Shadowcat that is. Nightcrawler, Dazzler, Colossus, Havok, Wolfsbane, Cannonball, Longshot, and Rictor all stand fresh in my mind. It was truly a great series -- and it was very sad to see it cancelled, as it brought something more substantial to television -- a dream, a goal. Not talking sponges like you see on Nickelodeon. This was and will continue to be one of the greatest cartoons that graced Saturday-morning television.

Excellent, more faithful to the comics than the mediocre films ever will be

Author: Mel J from Dundee, Scotland
26 August 2006

I was in my early teens when I first saw this cartoon version of 'X-Men' on television and it was what ignited my long-standing interest in the Marvel universe. If there was ever a lesson to be learnt about what it is to produce a faithful, involving adaptation (be it from a comic or a book) this show was the perfect example as it managed to successfully transfer the characters and plots from page to screen without dumbing down or altering things for the sake of making them 'cooler'.

The cartoon focused mainly on 'X-Men' favourites including Cyclops, Jean, Wolverine, Gambit, Rogue, Storm, Beast, Jubilee and, of course, Xavier. But there were also episodes involving characters in supporting roles such as Archangel, Bishop, Nightcrawler and Cable. In terms of villains, all the usual suspects of like Magneto, Sinister, Mystique and Apocalypse turn up at some point. Unlike the recent films, aimed at pleasing teenagers and casual cinema-goers, this series was more intent on depicting the characters properly so there is the same interactions as seen in the comics including the Scott/Jean/Wolverine triangle, the love/hate relationship between Gambit and Rogue and the sibling bond that Storm and Gambit share. It also wonderfully portrays Wolverine's darkly sarcastic side, which brings humour to the show.

While the films (and the childish 'X-Men: Evolutions') show the X-Men having rather calm, settled lives on the whole, this series gave a darker view of the universe, showing the team striving to do good in a world where much of humanity loathed mutants and saw them as the threat. It also tackled story arcs, like Onslaught, Dark Phoenix, Days of Future's End and Angel's transformation into Archangel, that appeared in the comic-verse in a way that retained the essence of the stories.

This was certainly one of the best cartoons to come out of the Nineties and still holds appeal to me even now that I'm an adult. In fact, I think a few of the time-travelling episodes would probably be a bit too complex for the usual eight- to twelve-year-old demography who watch Fox Kids. I'd highly recommend this to fans of the comics and those who enjoyed the films but felt they were too flat and want to see something that preserves the spirit of the comics.

A great animated series, a tribute to the comics

Author: boyinflares from New Zealand
17 June 2005

It was this animated series that got me into the world of the-Men and other Marvel comics, which are far superior, but that is not to say this cartoon wasn't good, for it was. What we have here is the four core X-Men - Cyclops, Wolverine, Jean Grey and Storm - along with popular characters from the comics - Rogue, Beast and Gambit - and Jubilee for the teens and Professor X as the basis for the series. Many mutants and other X-related characters make appearances through the series, some more often than others, and to varying degrees of likeness to their comic counterparts, (and Morph who was created specifically for the series). The X-Men are portrayed well to their comic-counterparts, with the exception of Jean Grey. Although it was this series that got me into X-Men, and made Jean my favourite character, in this series she was somewhat wasted, not used to her full potential. She was shown less-powerful than the others, when in the comics, she is one of the most powerful mutants in existence (even without the Phoenix Force). However Jean did get a few good stories, notably the ongoing Sinister stories, her and Wolverine's love subplot and the Phoenix and Dark Phoenix Sagas.

But I digress. The villains were cool and in keeping with their comic counterparts, it would have been nice to see ones like Apocalypse and the Brotherhood more often. In terms of supporting characters, Bishop, Cable, Moira MacTaggert, Banshee, Arachangel, Forge and Colossus showed up a few times, but we could have seen more of Iceman, Darkstar, Polaris, Alpha Flight, Sunfire and Nightcrawler.

A lot of the stories were taken directly from the comics and adapted for this series (like the Dark Phoenix Saga, Phalanx Covenant and Days of Future Past) others were taken from ongoing comic stories and changed into single or multiple episodes for this series, like the Savage Land and the Sentinels.

There was some ongoing narrative, but it is also possible to watch episodes out of order, they were generally self contained (with the exception of multiple part episodes). It's cool to actually hear the X-Men speak and the costumes look cool on TV too. A great watch, most of the time.

8 out of 10 for the whole animated series.

Earnest Adaptation of Classic Marvel Comic

Author: Brad L. Wooldridge (HulkSmash@windstream.net) from Barry, Texas USA
14 January 1999

The X-Men animated series was a terrific try at bringing the ultra-popular comic book featuring mutant outcasts to the small screen. While the animation was amateurish and choppy at best, the voice over work was a particularly wonderful highlight. The stories were re-hashes of the plots from the comics' 30+ years in publication, and a few standouts included the Phoenix Saga, and its follow-up featuring the reconciliation between Scott Summers, alias Cyclops, and his father, the interstellar pirate/freedom fighter, Corsair.

Faithful To The Original Comic Book Series, Though Superior To The Films Themselves

Author: waiching liu from London, England, UK
25 August 2007

In my very own opinion, the X-Men cartoon series was arguably the closest remake of the X-men that fans could get and much more faithful to the comic books themselves than what the live action movies will ever be. The costumes were identical as the comics, the superheroes were as realistic as they were and the story lines were much more varied, exciting and believable. Wolverine, Storm, Gambit, Rogue, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Professor Xavier and Jubilee were as they were. The artwork was also excellent, but just what you'd expected from Marvel.

Whilst the films were in all a shambles in terms of the design and look of the characters, the cartoon series and Marvel have thankfully retained the originality, appeal and quality of the comics, and the appearances of which made the X-men one of the most successful comic book hero franchises in history. Another difference between the cartoon series and the films was the fact the creators of the show put a lot of emphasis on character development and the emotional plight of the mutants's own expectations of wanting to belong to the world and to feel accepted, which this has been addressed much better in the series than the film trilogy ever did. Therefore, the human interest aspect- no make that mutant interest aspect and the triumph over adversity tales of each and everyone of the X-Men members had more of a feel and resonance to it, of which we could empathise the characters with, and of which the films themselves fail to do because it just didn't translate well on the big screen.

Unlike the movies, the animated show had a raw ness and bite to each and every one of those characters that was totally devoid in the live action versions and it never managed to pussyfoot around the issues, as well as the story lines, of which again were far more realistic and believable.

This is what the movies themselves ought to have been like, but rather than leave things as they were, the directors Brett Ratner and Brian Singer decided to change a couple things round, without realising how much this would put die-hard and ardent X-men fans off. Why tamper with a classic formula? Besides, the film's disappointment shouldn't take away from the fact that the cartoon series is the best on- screen version of the X-Men.

Forget the films, either stick with the comics or go for this, the animated version instead.

One of the greatest-ever animated superhero shows!

Author: dee.reid from United States
4 June 2011

It's been a while since I last watched "X-Men," the animated series from the early 1990s, but I do remember that this is/was one of the greatest comic book superhero shows I ever watched during my childhood. I was a reader of the Stan Lee-/Jack Kirby-co-created X-Men comics for Marvel Comics as a child - along with Spider-Man, who remains my favorite superhero, and the two Marvel Comics titles formed the cornerstone of my fascination with comic book superheroes. The "X-Men" titles struck a personal chord with me as I got older because of how its world re-defined people's hatreds and prejudices against each other to accommodate people with mutant powers being discriminated against by the powers-that-be. Being a black American, I instantly related to the plight of the X-Men and any other mutant character who was the target of those who ultimately wished the destruction of anyone with mutant powers. That was ultimately the greatest element about the comics, and this incredible animated series. It's the reason why I grew to deeply appreciate Marvel Comics more than any other comic book publisher in the industry. "X-Men," "Spider-Man: The Animated Series," and "Batman: The Animated Series" were all the reasons why during the early '90s, I loved comic book superhero cartoon shows.

X-tremely X-cellent Cool Series!

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
11 April 2004

X-Men is another one of my favorite cartoons that used to come on some of the old Saturday Morning Fox Kids lineups. I really liked the way Wolverine was in the series, one of those tuff and rough characters who does things there way. That sort of reminds me the way Knuckles the Echidna was in the beginning episodes of Sonic X. The other X-Men were really cool also! I had this huge crush on Rogue because I thought she was sexy with her looks and sexy southern accent. I also remember that on the 1994 Spider-Man cartoon that the X-Men made some guest appearances on some episodes of Spider-Man. The series is most same way as the comic book about a group of mutant superheroes who live at a school for mutants hosted by Professor Charles Xavier who formed a group of superhero mutants to fight against Magneto and the other evil brotherhood of mutants. This was another one of my favorite Marvel comic book superheroes! I have always liked Marvel comics a little better than DC comics because Marvel has more superheroes than DC. I also remember that this show came back on Fox Kids in Summer 2000 when 20th Century Fox released the live-action X-Men movie in theaters. Then I caught some more reruns for when they showed it for a while on ABC Family!

User Rating: 8/10

BOTTOM LINE: X-TREMELY X-CELLENT!

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]