IMDb > "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Tonight Show with Jay Leno"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 2 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Final Verdict: 7 out of 10

Author: ray.cooper from Cologne, Germany
14 June 2000

The most watchable, popular and plain funny talk show in the US stands and falls with the jokes of the hugely likeable, self-ironic and very funny Jay Leno, who after failed attempts to become a movie actor took over the show from talk show host legend Johnny Carson. If Jay is in good shape, and he is very often in very good shape, he delivers one knockout joke per minute in his terrific opening monologue. His guests are often great and diverse, from super model to super movie star and to exotic animals and young inventors, he has them all and they often deliver the goods. Small and bald Kevin Eubanks is a sympathetic support to Jay, laughing all the time. Not always, however, is the show on the top, but often enough.

STILL UNBELIEVABLY BAD

Author: LILES22 from CHICAGO
18 March 2004

This show is still horrible. Easily is the lamest and unfunny talk show ever to be on the air. Jay Leno is one of the worst stand up comedians I've ever seen. He has no comic timing, he is not well spoken, he doesn't write good material and he repeats punchlines. The one liners that he makes during interviews with guests never make any sense whatsoever and are never funny. Kevin Eubanks is completely annoying and lame and him and Jay have ZERO chemistry. They are both total idiots. The bits they do on the show are also completely idiotic and never funny. I've never laughed at Leno's monologue. Its like watching someone drown every night. Dude, if you can't come up with even 30 seconds of good material, why are you trying to do 10-15 minutes every night?? TIP: Quality, NOT quantity!!! It's an absolute crime that Jay is getting paid millions of dollars, meanwhile there are so many struggling comics that are a hundred times better than Jay could ever hope to be. He's unfunny, he's boring and he's a corporate bend-over. He's a disgrace to comics everywhere. The only reason NBC didn't hire Letterman (not that I'm a huge Letterman fan) is because they knew Dave wouldn't be a puppet and let himself be ruled by a bunch of corporate suits. I predict that the Jimmy Kimmel show will kick Jay's but in the ratings and he'll be off the air soon.

Nowhere near as good as Letterman or O'brien

Author: T1000-6 from Bendigo, Victoria
23 July 2000

Of the 3 late night talk shows,Leno's is definitely the worst.The problem is,he rarely comes up with any jokes himself,unlike Letterman and O'brien,who have the rare gift of being able to think of things to add to their material on the spot eg-the monologues and it actually be funnier than their given lines.Leno,however simply does not have this ability,and it is the writers you admire and not the host,which shouldn't be the case,as the most important thing is to love the host.

Another thing the show suffers from is that it feels more like a comedy show than a talk show.There are far too many unfunny comedy sketches and obviously set up occurences for it to have the unpredictable feel of Letterman,which thrives on its spontinaity.It tries much too hard for laughs.A very annoying and unnecesarry part of the show is the black band member(I can't remember his name)that is really only there to let out huge and put on sounding laughs at everything Jay says and to be the butt of a lot of Jay's jokes.

I don't hate the show,I mean if there's nothing else on,I'll watch it but it comes nowhere near its two competing talk shows.

Above all He's ANIMATED!

Author: BatStarIndyFreak from UT, USA
17 November 2002

For all who say that Dave is better, I have to say he's a STIFF! Every time I've looked at Dave while Jay has been doing reruns all I see is that he stands there like his feet are glued to the stage, and gives a monologue that doesn't even last as long as Jay's do. I find Jay to be much more animated, using spunk to give us some added flavor to the jokes. Dave smiles, Jay smirks. Dave's BORING! I think I've seen 3 top ten's I've enjoyed out of about fifteen total I've seen. I find Jay to be a very professional interviewer, having a blast with each guest. Headlines rock! Jaywalking rocks! Sidewalking rocks! I find GREAT chemistry between Jay and Kev. It will ALWAYS be Jay, NOT Dave.

I Love this show

Author: Ivan Aceves (scstunner_582@hotmail.com) from Inglewood, California
10 January 2003

I like watching the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, he is funny the whole time. All of the show sessions such as, Headlines, and the 99 cent shopping spree, and of course the monolouge (which are favorites) are really funny to watch. 10 years running and still funny, Jay Leno.

This Show Is Somewhat Funny

Author: CmHowell99 from San Diego, Ca
22 July 2002

My Sister Loves This Show And I Do Too My Favorite Guest Was Denise Richards Back In 1999. Some Of His Jokes Are Funny. My Favorite Part Of The Show Is Headlines. Once I Saw This Show And A Shark Was On It. And The Clips Are Funny But Sometimes Inappropiate. I Taped This Show And My Sister Loved It So Much That She Asked If Her And I Could Watch It Again. She'd Tell Me To Watch It With Her All The Time.

The best late night show ever!!!

Author: keyser_ from texas
27 June 2000

jay is the best late night host out there, his comedy style is somewhat similar to jerry seinfeld´s, laughing at stuff from everyday life, i think jay´s way better than letterman, nbc late night is the funniest thing you can watch on tv, leno and conan o´brian are a great pair to watch every night

Jay Leno Rules

Author: Monty-53 from Iceland
17 June 2000

I think Jay Leno is the best late night show and Conan O´Brien is not half as good. I love the "Headlines" but I think he should forget about the bands which play in the end of the show.

The Greatest Tonight Show Ever

Author: Tobias Pollack from Jerusalem, Israel
4 September 1999

This show is great! I love it! What more can I say? He is so funny, got great guests, It's simply the best!

One of the Most Hilarious Talk Shows Ever

Author: Stephen Lilley from Brook Park, Ohio
13 August 1999

"The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" has got to be one of the most hilarious talk shows ever, if not the most hilarious. A special "event" for each night of the week, Monday's "Headlines" has me on the floor laughing every time. I wish it was longer. "JayWalking" is also funny, but sometimes it has me wondering if it's staged or not. The guests are great, making each nights episode a memorable experience. Much funnier, in my opinion, that Conan O'Brien or David Letterman. Makes me forget the short lived "Magic Hour" ever even existed. If you have never seen this show, you are missing out on a great time.

Page 2 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]