IMDb > "Real World" (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Real World"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Real World" More at IMDbPro »"The Real World" (original title)

Sorry to harp on the "what ever happened to" issue, but...

Author: jc from usa
6 February 2003

Like previous posters, I too am curious. What on earth happened to the show this used to be? What happened to putting together seven strangers of all different shapes and sizes, from all different walks of life, the good, the bad, and yes... even the ugly, just to see how things turn out? What happened to letting them fend for themselves instead of giving them money, jobs, and projects to keep them occupied? Where did the individualism, the goals and the character go?

Is it just me, or does anyone else miss the med students, business entrepreneurs, artists, musicians, race car drivers... heck, even a cop! Was it fair to replace them with a bunch of "pretty people" with six pack abs, and teeny waists who's only goal appears to be who can "hook up" with who first? Some may say that the former doesn't fairly represent most of today's youth, but the latter certainly doesn't either!

I think it's just run it's course. When a show has run it's course, the creators resort to pathetic tactics in an effort to pull ratings and hold interest. What they end up doing is creating a machine that churns out the same trash year after year. A winning streak can only last for so long. You have to know when to fold the cards.

Get's Dumber, and Dumber, and....

Author: jwrowe3 from Tampa, FL
29 January 2004

Could the casting exec's at MTV possibly pick anymore, vain, selfish, and low brow people that the last few seasons on "The Real World"? Man, I'd hate to think that THIS is what's going to be running the world in a few years.

++Minor Spoilers++

I have been watching since the original cast. I didn't really care for 'em, to be honest, but they WILL be remembered as the most "pure" cast. No playing to camera, as most following casts did. I liked the 2nd cast, a lot. However, you got the impression that they were being "controlled" by their producers. We got the first cast member ejected from the show for a prank that went bad. I'd love to see ALL the footage from that incident! I suspect we'd see a lot more than we got. And I'll bet the young man would probably have our support.

The Miami cast is also one of my favorites. they get the task of starting a business, and we see how a group of young people can't seem to get together for what's expected of them.

From then on, I think the show was truly past it's "Sell By" date, and should have been ended.

It all boils down to the same types on each show, the "ALPHA MALE", "HIS NEW BEST FRIEND", "THE BITCH", "THE GAY PERSON", and so on. And these recent shows seem to just have some of the worst examples of human kind on them.

Time to Pull The Plug, MTV! And maybe show some "MUSIC VIDEOS"?

I finally watched an episode...

Author: Jerry from Iowa.
23 February 2002

In the real world there are no unattractive people; poor people; bad furniture; small apartments or overweight people. In the episode I watched they had a huge apartment and all the people looked attractive and physically fit. Their furniture looked brand new, colorful and they all have nice new clean clothing. I kept wondering where the real world was during all of this. I never see them do laundry, wash dishes, cook, watch TV, go to work or anything else that happens in the real world. It seemed like they spent the entire time talking about how emotional everyone else was and how they like/disliked them for whatever reason...

I just watched an episode where they went to a human rights thing and they spent some time talking about how they're spreading awarness and how cool it is. I guess they assume that the average person watching this show isn't bright enough to figure out that other people have rights, so they have to tell them. I wouldn't go to it based on the fact that these guys from "The Real World" are going to it; now that I think of it; I wouldn't go even if they weren't there.

I guess I just think this show is kinda stupid, so to get back at it; I'm never going to watch it again. Yeah. I rule.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen

Author: matlock-6 from Chicago, IL
24 August 2003

I was still in high school during the first season of The Real World, so I don't really relate to it, but the second season took place duing my first year of college and was part of the whole "college experience", I guess.

In any case, those couple of early seasons really bring back memories. I loved the second season, because at the time the show was more of what it pretended to be. They found several unique individuals, threw them all together and people got to see what happened. Or at least that's what it seemed like.

The one that everyone always bags on, London, was also a favorite, as was Miami. But with each passing season, the ratings grubbing Mtv execs pushed more and more for the formulaic tripe that we see now. All the people are as attractive as can be, and the show centers around sex, drinking and what looks like scripted melodrama (probably because the producers encourage certain kinds of behavior through subtle suggestions). I enjoyed Hawaii on some levels, but at the same time it was the ultimate undoing of the series. The sex, drinking and extreme weepy melodrama of this season got such huge ratings that every season since has tried to copy it. As a result, they have gotten progressively worse.

I couldn't wait to see them do The Real World in Chicago. But when I finally got to see it, it was just like the others: trying to be like Hawaii.

I also dislike the single organized job that everyone has to do together now. I don't recall the early seasons having this.

If you want to see how great this show could be, watch season 2 in reruns.

Real World? More like "Fake World"....

Author: charlieque99 from Moreno Valley, California
7 November 2003

I've watched most of these Real World episodes where these young adults live in luxurious mansions or penthouses. I've grown so tired of these individuals who get a free ride for a few months, then pretend to talk about important issues. They get to live in these extraordinary places, not paying a cent. And they also get their jobs hooked up for them with any of them going on an interview. In their spare time, they go partying at nightclubs and having sex with total strangers (or their roommates). At their temporary lodgings, they are shown doing nothing, but playing around on the Internet, watching TV, or sleeping. That's not the real world. Then these "Real World-ers" try to become actors after the reality show ends. HINT: Being on a reality show doesn't make you an actor.

Most of these people are annoying, except for a few. The most annoying "Real World" cast member, as of late, has been Chris Tamburello (a.k.a CT) from Real World Paris. CT is a fake-hoodlum type (with a rag on his head 24-hours) from Boston. His heavy Boston accent just annoys me. He is so loud and obnoxious, you just want to see this guy take a big fall in life. CT was shown several times getting drunk, being disrespectful to other people, and slugging a nightclub patron several times. CT would've been arrested for assault and sued if he was in the United States. CT isn't as tough as he thinks he is. The second annoying person is Leah Gillingwater, also on Real World Paris. I couldn't stand this little wannbe bully. In one episode, she was shown as maybe having cancer.

The only person I like is Melissa Padron from Real World Miami. She was sexy. That lesbian shower scene she did one episode was probably the hottest episode in Real World history. I didn't like the fact that Melissa tried denying her naughty side. No, Melissa did NOT do a 3-some in the shower with Mike and that waitress (like everybody thought). It was only Melissa and that waitress that was making all those loud erotic noises. Mike passed out because he was drunk (or because he wasn't wanted). Not a good thing.

I hope the future Real World episodes get better.

The real world? These kids need a reality check...

Author: dwissba from Milwaukee/ United States
7 October 2009

I can remember a time long ago when MTV actually played videos. For you kids who watch MTV now you probably think MTV never did. Well, they did but before you were born. In any case this Real World show is just one of many BS crap programs that MTV is replacing their music videos with. The kids that have been on every Real World show have no idea what the real real world is. For if they did they would not be on this program. The producers put these spoiled kids up in million dollar homes or whatever, pay for trips to other countries and give them all kinds of things to do. All they have to do is complain, fight and be offended by things that are not politically correct. The line up for the real World cast is normally this: Black guy, black girl, white feminist girl with hang-ups, macho jerk white guy, wimpy white guy and of course a homosexual. They all have to be people that get easily offended and act like total boneheads.

I can see this being called the real world if they placed these dumb kids in the projects in Chciago or some of the poorest, dirtiest places on the planet. That would be fun to watch these hand-held kids deal with that. MTV has no idea what the real world is because they are so lost in their PC world of transparent nonsense.

This show sucks!!

Author: video_game_lover_122 from United States
6 December 2005

good god, could they make a show so f*ing boring??? this isn't what u call reality show, it's fake reality show like all the other crappy, boring, shows like Laguna beach. first off, the plot is SO trite and over used, girl likes guy, guy likes girl, guy cheats on girl, girl gets SO emotional with all this drama crap, and then girl brakes up with guy and then they start a big fight, it's like that in every episode, i totally hate this show and hope it goes off air really really soon to make all the madness stop! sorry for all the people that like this show but to me it personally sucks! really bad and it can just rot.

0 out of 10- Avoid at all cost!

A delight for voyeurs

Author: jimmyplm from Chapel Hill, NC
26 January 2000

I am a "Real World" addict. I have watched practically every episode of every season a dozen times each. When the MTV casting call came her to UNC-CH, I was one of the first people in line to audition for the show (though I didn't make it). What is it that has made this show such a cultural phenomenon? It is simply that society craves the act of seeing real people put into strange situations. It is like a car crash beside the side of the road--you don't mean to look as you pass by, but you just have to. But there is nothing wrong with loving this show. It is like any other tv show. It is a way to live out your fantasies through other people. You might never get to live in a phat pad with a bunch of beautiful people, but at least you can appreciate the fact that people like Amaya (my all time favorite cast member) are able to do just that.

A "reality" TV pioneer

Author: Matthew Ignoffo ( from Eatontown, NJ, USA
7 August 2000

This is one of the first "reality" TV shows. It is based on an interesting idea -- take 7 MTV-crowd members who don't know each other, put them into one residence, and have cameras watch them. There have been charges that the producers feed the castmembers ideas, but maybe if that didn't happen, the show would be as boring as watching video of anyone at home.

The seasons have been uneven depending on the castmembers and locations. One of the best aspects of this show is that it allows the MTV viewers to see real gay people being real gay people. The gay castmembers are not actors, and their situations can illustrate for the young MTV watchers that gay people are not any more weird than anyone else.

Especially touching was the San Francisco story of Pedro Zamora, a young Cuban immigrant with AIDS. He did a great deal to educate the twentysomethings about gays and AIDS just by being himself. Tragically, he died of AIDS the night before the last episode of the San Francisco season aired.

Danny Roberts in New Orleans is another example. He is a sweet person whose struggle with being gay is very instructive to the viewers. His boyfriend is an Army officer and so must be blurred out on screen to protect his identity. This situation illustrates the stupidity of the military's homophobia. I found especially touching the episode when Danny was tempted to stray with the boys from the gay bar but then gets a surprise visit from his boyfriend on Valentine's Day.

I commend MTV for coming up with this idea and with keeping it fresh -- most of the time.

Author: msbs_2006 from Stoneville, NC
27 July 2002

The Real World is the classic of all reality t.v. Survivor or Big Brother doesn't compare to this. I am so addictive to the show. It is so cool watching them party, and have a great time, and yes fight.This is just a great show to watch, and keep up with cast members. For those of you that watch Big Brother, I would highly suggest The Real World.