IMDb > "Melrose Place" (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Melrose Place"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Melrose Place" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

MP ful of love, hate, and revenge. That's Melrose for ya!

Author: Andy-359 from Illinois, USA
20 July 1999

This show was filled with so much stuff, you could barely keep track of who was sleeping with who! This prime-time soap opera was like a 90's version of Dynasty, but better. The show started of with a simmer, but shot off into the Nielsens' ratings when Aaron Spelling brought on Heather Locklear as the bitchy Amanda Woodward and when Dr. Kimberly Shaw returned from the dead after "dying" in a car wreck with fiancee Michael. If people were to describe Melrose Place, you would hear all of these: murder, sex, adultry, backstabbing, secrets, lies, jeolousy, and hate. The show was in the top of the Nielsens by the end of the 1994-1995 season when psycho Kimberly planted four bombs in the famous apartment complex. After seven seasons, I've managed to pick ten moments that were the most memorable. Here they are, but not in order:

1. Kimberly Shaw shows up on the beach watching Michael and Sydney, after "dying" in a fiery car wreck.

2. Jane and Sydney struggle in the Melrose pool over the family heirloom wedding dress.

3. The famous Melrose Place pool side explosion, thanks to wacko Kimberly who had set the thing up to kill everyone.

4. Sydney is struck and killed by Samantha's car, seconds after marrying Craig Field.

5. Kimberly rips off her wig to reveal a huge scar on her head.

6. Amanda punches Taylor after finding out she was sleeping with Peter.

7. Kimberly runs over Michael in Jane's car.

8. A drunk Brooke hits her head by the pool and drowns, while Billy and Alison are heading on a date.

9. Amanda accidentally causes her long lost husband Jack Parezi to fall from a balcony.

10. Richard Hart is buried alive when his hand comes shooting out from the dirt like something from the movie "Carrie".

An absolute FOX Classic!

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
14 July 2006

"MELROSE PLACE," in my opinion, is an absolute FOX classic! I don't think I've seen every episode, but I still enjoyed it. It's hard to say which episode was my favorite. However, I think it was always sad when friends fought. I always wanted to cry at that. It would have been nice if all the main characters stayed with the show throughout its entire run. It seems that no one stays with a show throughout its entire run. Everyone always gave a good performance, the production design was spectacular, the costumes were well-designed, and the writing was always very strong. In conclusion, I hope they bring it back on the air for fans of the show to see.

Trashy but addictive

Author: E. Kelly (jukell@austarnet.com.au) from Darwin, Australia
18 January 2001

Melrose Place ain't no Emmy winner but it sure is addictive. It's hard to resist the temptation to tune in daily to follow the absurd relationship dramas of this crew of snotty millionaires. In many instances it's just hilarious, for instance crazy Kimberley committing Peter to a mental institute before administering shock therapy and almost a lobotomy (hahahahaha), or Michael's wedding vows to Jane on their second wedding, "Jane you were my first wife, my favourite wife and I hope to god my last wife." The outrageous antics and schemes to win over lovers combined with the fact that every second character seems to be a murderer or a criminal of some sort, it is a wonder that they are not all in jail!

As rich and successful as they are, is this not the unluckiest group of people on television? (well except for the Days of Our Lives cast who all have brain implants and amnesia). I mean they've all been cheated on, dumped, married 4-5 times, been shot, run over, raped, sued, molested, paralysed, lobotimised, burnt, blinded, drowned, blown up, assaulted, tossed out windows, buried alive, stalked by psycho lovers, involved in war; gone bankrupt; suffered from drug addictions, impotency and alcoholism; had cancer, miscarriages, tumours, brain surgery, abusive parents, car wrecks and helicopter crashes just to name a few of the hardships inflicted upon these poor sods. You couldn't pay me to move into Melrose Place, that apartment block is the kiss of death. Seems to be quite the hangout for psychopathic freaks. The newspaper advertisment must read "Melrose Place Tenant Wanted: Must be unbalanced and of a psychotic nature, prone to fits of violence including murder and arson. Must also exhibit strong desire to destroy the lives of everyone you through infliction of emotional pain and suffering. Dodgy, unstable doctors preferred."

Granted, it's a silly show, but it's also the kind of program that makes you skip class so you can use the pay phone in the school lobby to ring home and remind your mum to tape it at 10 (yes I have done that). Can't help myself, I love it and recommend it to anyone looking for a good laugh and some light hearted entertainment.

Melrose Place way better than Beverly Hills!

Author: RUKIA22 from United Kingdom
21 April 2005

One of the best shows of the early 90's it lasted for 7 years. I came across this show as it's currently repeated on five every Saturday morning and I continue to love this show. I knew of this show when it screened during the 90's but couldn't care less at that time I was a huge fan of Beverly Hills 90210 which I'm not a big fan of anymore now. I just enjoy catching up with the lives of the beautiful and gorgeous people of Melrose Place. My favourite character is Alison (Courtney Thorne Smith) but my least favourite is Amanda Woodard (Heather Locklear) she is quite a B****. The cast are brilliant and I love the situations, which the characters go through every week just as our lives aren't as dramatic as these characters. Melrose is Glam but much better than Beverly Hills but as the seasons went on the series got over the top that's when I think it went downhill I think. The best year was the early years. I hope a DVD is released both in the US and the UK, as it was very popular and successful in both sides of the Atlantic. Melrose Place is one of my favourite shows and it's a classic with plenty to enjoy and a place we all wouldn't mind living in.

Sex, Greed, Lust, Betrayal, Affairs, Divorces, Drugs, Wealth, Bombs, Kidnapping, Scheming plots, Murder, and some of the most beautiful vixens on the planet made for one of my favorite TV-Series I hated to s

Author: Brian-272 from Oakwood, Virginia USA
5 May 2001

I remember how that I loved this show I never missed an episode! If I couldn't watch it right then and I had to be gone I recorded it. This was the best show to air on the FOX network. "Melrose Place" was situated in Los Angeles it would always be focussing on twenty-somethings who lived and loved in the garden apartment complex at 4616 Melrose Place. This series was so well liked because something was always going on in the characters daily life. The beautiful vixens were the reasons I also watched you name it you had them Heather Locklear was great as the beautiful but tough ad executive Amanda and Marcia Cross was great as the beautiful but crazy Kimberly. If those two tough beautiful vixens didn't thrill you then you had Josie Bissett, Kristin Davis, Brooke Langton, Laura Leighton, Kelly Rutherford, Courtney Thorne-Smith, Jamie Luner, Alyssa Milano, and Lisa Rinna. Now talk about a man enjoying his viewing and believe me you got treated to many scenes with those vixens doing many things you name it love scenes, affairs, sexy lingerie, accidents, bound and gagged scenes never was a dull moment present with these vixens. In fact so much bed changing and sleeping around that when the show ended in 1999 just about every female character had slept with most male characters! Speaking of the male characters great performances were given by Thomas Calabro and Jack Wagner both were great as good young doctors yet cunning and deceptive. Also Grant Show (Jake) was enjoyable as a rugged motorcycle mechanic plus Andrew Shue was good as an aspiring writer (Billy). This series became a traditional soap that always had the high drama and excitement that kept you glued to the TV. I hope some network picks "Melrose Place" up and shows the reruns from start to finish, I thought that back in 1998 that The E! Network showed reruns late at night but they don't now I hope that Melrose returns! Enough said even if you haven't watched you will want to and if your like me you will want to watch it all over from season 1 to the finish "Melrose Place" was just that good.

Very thrilling serial

Author: denis888 from Russian Federation
29 September 2006

Melrose Place was another huge success in Russia when it first appeared there many years ago. After that, it had many successful repeated runs in various Russian TV-channels. Why such a great popularity? Due to several reasons. First, the excellent choice of actors. Heather Locklear, Alyssa Mylano, Daphna Zuniga, all others are a great and very precise shot. They play their often malicious and cruel heroes with a surgical accuracy and with such persuasion that a mere serial becomes a real serious drama. All the events are another big plus. We are thrilled and attracted by the endless string of high-voltage events, all those slanders, kills, lies, love relations, fires and fights going on there. The serial is never boring. You see so many characters there and you know them all. And then, this is a true detective story. I have counted no less than 10 people killed there! And the marvelous performances of Marcia Cross or any other actor! Well, this is not a trivial small serial. No, this one is mature, strong and very exciting work.

A great show that could've lasted longer.

Author: bran569341
31 October 1999

In its heyday, Melrose Place was a fun and complex 60-minute roller-coaster ride every week. It started off slow and weak, but began to pick up steam midway through the first season with the addition of Heather Locklear. Though many credit Locklear for the show's success, the real stars of the show were people like Thomas Calabro, Laura Leighton and Marcia Cross, as the Kimberly/Michael/Sydney storyline was the driving force of the show. The show peaked in its second and third seasons, but by season four things began to fall apart. The writing, while always over the top, reached a new level of ludicrousness towards the end of season four and the show made no sense whatsoever (i.e., Evil Billy, Amanda using Billy to keep her job at D&D, and Kimberly's mutiple-personality story which culminated in her attempting to lobotomize Peter ). To its credit, the show realized its mistakes and several behind the scenes changes were made at the end of season four (namely the firing of several writers on the show ). By season five, the show had back down to earth and told more traditional soap stories (i.e. the Billy/Alison/Jake/Jane quadrangle and the Amanda/Peter/Taylor triangle ). New players, including Lisa Rinna, Rob Estes, David Charvet, and Kelly Rutherford were added to the show. The show rebounded, but towards the end of season five things began to fall apart again due to the loss of several veteran cast members. By the end of season five Marcia Cross, Laura Leighton, Courtney Thorne-Smith, Josie Bissett and Grant Show were gone. Especially damaging was the fact that the show had killed its two best characters in Kimberly and Sydney. That's why, for me, the last "real" episode of MP was the fifth season finale on May 19, 1997. Spelling and Co. saw many of these departures coming, but figured the void would be easily filled by the new faces that were brought in in season five. They were sorely mistaken. Season six was a disaster, for the most part. Even more new faces (Linden Ashby and Jamie Luner) were added to the show and another veteran cast member (Doug Savant) was gone after the sixth season premiere. The combination of too many new faces and poor writing irrevocably damaged the show. The show hit rock bottom in early 1998 when FOX announced the show would be pulled after March 30 and return sometime in the summer. It was also announced that the show would be once again retooled and thus several cast members would leave later that season and original cast member Josie Bissett would return. When the show returned in the summer of '98, there was a flicker of hope as several storylines became interesting to watch (i.e. the Kyle/Amanda/Peter triangle, the Billy/Samantha/Jeff/Jennifer quadrangle, and the rekindled Jane/Michael romance). But the fun was short-lived. On September 7, 1998, Billy, Samantha, Jennifer, Coop and Taylor all left L.A. for greener pastures, and on September 14, the "new" Melrose debuted. It was obvious from that episode "The World According to Matt" that no matter how hard TPTB tried, the magic was gone. The show sputtered through its final season, as the addition of Rena Sofer proved to be a failure. The final episode on May 24, 1999 was exactly like the final two seasons of MP: disappointing.

Dynasty on Steroids

Author: Mancini2000 from United States
20 August 2000

Melrose was, without a doubt, THE show of the 90's. Spawn from the popular 90210, Melrose developed into a show of backstabbing, bitterness, and bitchiness, a quality no other show since has mastered. For three seasons, the show brought grade A camp and sleaziness to television. Backstabbing, betrayl, lies, weddings, murder, affairs, setups, and shocking twists all lead up to the explosive third season finale in which crazy Kimberly caused the entire Melrose complex to explode. After the fiery (and much hyped) forth season premiere, the show went too far with ridiculous storylines and complicated twists. Instead of being a pleasure to watch, it became a puzzle to figure out. By the end of the season, Jane was burying Richard alive, Kimberly was calling herself Betsy and giving lobotomies to Peter, and Billy was the top dog at D&D. The show did MAJOR changes behind the scenes and returned with an intriging fifth season, full of twists and turns that kept you on the edge of your seat. However, by season's end, Melrose had lost a lot of key players. Though the fifth season finale pulled the steamy cliffhanger of Sydney hit by a car on her wedding day, Melrose was facing a large gap to fill in the sixth season. With no Jake, Alison, Kimberly, Jo, Sydney, or Jane, MP was in BIG trouble. They tried to fill in the absence with Lexi, Coop, Craig, Jennifer, and Megan, but it didn't take. Rotten storylines and the neverending Christine's death saga dragged the show to the pits. After nearly facing cancellation, MP retooled once again and returned the summer of 1998 (only to lose Billy, Samantha, Jennifer, Coop, and Taylor). But it was too late to save the sinking ship. Though the seventh season showed promise with sexy Lexi going up against Amanda and Kyle's sterility problem, 4616 Melrose Place got it's eviction notice and aired the "unforgettable" final episodes. The series finale lacked that Melrose kick only supplied by the true unforgettable characters, Kimberly and Sydney.

Entertaining

Author: Patricia Dantas da Silva from Brasilia, Brasil
26 February 2000

I don't understand why a tv-series about all the worst calamities can be so pleasing. We start watching it and we can't stop anymore. It's always dramatic and intense.

The show is about a group of Melrose Place's residents, and all the exaggerated situations that happen with them. Most of the things couldn't happen in real life, at least not with this frequency, but is happening with this group all the time.

Now that it's over, I can choose to watch the 1994's season or the 1998's. I prefer the first, the cast had some changes and a lot of the original one had gone.

I enjoy watching it, it's not a passion like the one I have for Friends, but if I have nothing better to do, and I know that it's on television, even a repeated one, I have to watch it.

Outrageous fun from the man who brought you Dynasty

Author: blanche-2 from United States
21 December 2005

Aaron Spelling's "Melrose Place" concerned a group of young people in an LA apartment complex, and in its time, it was a highly popular show. Melrose really started to take off when Heather Locklear joined the cast at the end of season 1. She seemed to supply the missing ingredient, i.e., the resident bitch, and before long, Melrose was THE show to watch and discuss. It's not a coincidence that two of its stars, Marcia Cross and Doug Savant, appear on the very high-profile "Desperate Housewives." High profile shows seek stars of past high profile shows.

The show had a lot of nice, campy touches that made it famous, as well as some fascinating characters. One of my favorites were the ubiquitous establishing shots that seemed to be shown weekly: a young woman walking her dog, the jogger, and the pool boy cleaning the pool.

As for interesting characters, there was Michael, who started off as a devoted husband and became a rogue, slutty Sydney, and Kirsten Davis as the girl Billy (Andrew Shue) almost married, who lays across a bed and announces, "I'm ovulating," which I heard the next morning when it was played on a local radio station. But my favorite was Dr. Kimberly Shaw, star of Melrose's most startling moment. After she returned from the dead, she took her wig off at the end of one episode and took a look at that scar! A real shocker, and the kind of thing that made Melrose, in its prime, the best.

Most of the younger actors on Melrose became established because of the show and went on to other things afterwards, particularly Cross, Davis, Throne-Smith, and Savant. And let's not forget Locklear who, in my opinion, really set this show on its hit course.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]