IMDb > "Martin" (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Martin"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Martin" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Quite simply the funniest show on TV

Author: Deceptikon225 from Baton Rouge, Louisiana
20 December 2002

"Martin" was my favorite show in the '90s and it still is my favorite show today. I set my VCR everyday to record the episodes that are rerun on USA network. Bill Cosby once called this show a "modern day minstrel" and yet I'm still waiting to see "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids" reruns on Cartoon Network, maybe Mr. Cosby won't allow them to be shown because it would eat at his own guilty conscience. Martin is a comedic genius and the other characters, Gina, Pam, Tommy and Cole contrasted well with his over-the-top style, usually ending up the butts of his jokes. Although at some times Martin would come across as crass and surly, by the end of the show his generosity and warm heart would shine through. Long before Eddie Murphy in "The Nutty Professor", Martin mastered playing multiple characters. From Sheneneh to Mama Payne, Roscoe the snot nosed kid, Otis the security guard, Dragonfly Jones, Elroy the mechanic, white boy Bob and who could forget Jerome "the playa from the Himalayas", Martin amazingly portrayed every different character with their own unique personalities. Some of the funniest moments ever in my opinion came during Martin's interaction with the old lady, Miss Jerri, or Hustle Man (Tracy Morgan at his funniest) and of course you can't forget his occasional visit from Bruh Man from the "fiff flo". If loving this show is wrong, then I don't wanna be right. So, to Bill Cosby and all the other bougie black folks that dissed this show, I'll tell you like Eddie Murphy said in "Raw", shut the f*** up and have a Coke and a smile!

One of the Funniest Sitcoms Ever

Author: apursansar from Columbus
22 March 2002

Martin Lawrence is absolutely hilarious in this show; the rest of the cast is extremely funny as well. Martin's physical humor is great, this is maybe the only sitcom that has so frequently made me laugh out loud--really hard. Anytime Martin goes nuts over something he starts making all these weird faces and starts jumping and running around, and it's incredibly, ridiculously funny, and it seems to happen nearly every episode. Watch the reruns that come on late night on USA, you won't be disappointed.

Martin on DVD

Author: Angela Germain (angelalyn14612@yahoo.com) from Rochester, ny
26 August 2003

This has GOT to be one of the funniest shows ever........this needs to come out on DVD soon. I see so many older shows come out on dvd this needs to be one of those!!!! Martin is one of the funniest shows and I would love to put this on my DVD shelf and share with my friends and family

One of the best shows

Author: Jerry Smith from USA
4 June 2002

Martin Lawrence is probably one of the funniest comedians I have ever seen. His show "Martin" is hilarious, one of the best shows that was on television. I don't know why they cancelled this show. That was STUPID!!! The show is excellent on every level. the characters are very well-developed and the storylines are hilarious. I love Martin as Grandma Payne.

Overall the whole show is hilarious on many levels and I love it! Rating **** out of ****. (Tied for Second Favorite Show)

One of the best sitcoms ever

Author: steviesly from NYC
16 January 2003

"Martin" is one of the best television shows of all time. It is by far the funniest black sitcom ever created, far surpassing breakthrough shows like "The Jeffersons" and "Good Times". The 70's sitcom "What's Happening!!" is the only other show that comes close. When you watch a comedy show, it is common to smile, chuckle or laugh - but when you watch "Martin", particularly the first two to three seasons, you find yourself laughing so hard it hurts. This is a laugh out loud and stomp your feet show thanks to a brilliant comic talent - Martin Lawrence. Many people who I have talked to about this show have said they "don't get it" and that the rapid fire urban cultural references fly over their heads. I say, exactly. This show is clever and sharp and if you actually laugh at crap like "Will & Grace", you won't "get" this show either. Unlike every other pale, bland humored show out there, "Martin" is full flavored, knock you on your ass funny. Do not miss the chance to see it every time its rerun, you'll be witnessing t.v. sitcom history.

one of the best

Author: anthony pierce (ap8077@hotmail.com) from chicago, IL
14 October 2001

I love this show it had all you need for a good show this was something new for me. I seen a lot of black shows but this was the best one of all but good things have to end when it was over in 1997 but it was a good show.

THE Funniest Show Ever!

Author: joendavid from United States
14 May 2003

I think Martin Lawrence is the funniest man in America. I loved this show. Every time he cracked on Pam, I cracked up, and vice versa. I think Bra Man is hilarious! Every character Martin plays I love. I love Dragonfly Jones, Rosco, and Jerome he's my favorite. I think this show is GREAT!

it is simply the "BOMB"KABOOM!

Author: mcpaul40 from Tokyo, Japan
12 May 2004

To call it hilarious would not be doing it justice at all,it is simply the "bomb" KABOOM!.l wonder why they ever stopped running the show.l will give anything to get the complete series.it takes ingenuity to produce a thing like that & assemble a cast like that too.the characters l like most in the cast are Martin,Pam and Cole.Of course this doesn't mean the others are any less electrifying.l always had to set my video recorders timer to record it whenever l was away & quite frankly the little bits l got recorded l never stop watching.so imagine how it'll feel getting a complete set of all the episodes in a disc.PRICELESS is the word.My friends & l cant wait to get it.

Better than 'Friends' and 'Seinfeld'!

Author: imlilshowoff from New York
29 May 2004

My oh my, where do I begin? It's just a real shame that this show never won any kind of Golden Globe or for that matter any kind of acknowledgment from mainstream Hollywood for the work that Martin did on this show. In case you've never seen Martin its about a rude, comical radio disk jokey (Martin Payne) who lives in a modest apartment in Detroit. He has his boys of course: the misogynist dingbat (Cole Brown) and the sensible (Tommy Strawn). Then there's the light of his life (Gina Waters) whose a boogie business woman who somehow finds Martin as irresistible as he does her. And then there's her partner in crime (Pamela James) whose a tough as nails sort of man-hater (especially when it comes to Martin). But the best thing about 'Martin' I would have to say is the all the multiple characters that he played, which I don't think has ever been done consistently by anybody on TV except Flip Wilson. Everybody gave great comedic performances though on here, and yes even apple head, I mean Tisha Campbell was good too. And the writing for each episode was also on point. '92-'95 I'd have to say were probably the golden years of 'Martin', but then between the forth and the final fifth season the show was clearly in trouble. Martin's personal life was attracting more attention than the show, and then came the rumors that he was sexually harassing Campbell. She left the show towards the last season and as a viewer you could see that there was definitely something lacking. I know I lost interest but tuned in for the final episode which was ridiculous because Gina and Martin were never in any scenes together. Like every series finale the Paynes moved to California and left 42 (that's the apt. #). But still 'Martin' has remained on the tube thanks to reruns and we can understand once again why this show had it all. **** all the way. I love you Martin!

Hilarious!

Author: Peter Terry from United States MD
31 August 1999

This is the funniest, most outrageous, sitcom I have ever seen. Its hilarious! Martin Lawrence plays six parts in this show. When ever he is playing Mother Payne, the Police officer or Jerome, you can expect to laugh until it hearts. Martin and Pam are also what makes this show so funny. Pam is hilarious when she insults Martin and Martin is hilarious when he insults Pam. Martin Lawrence is like a Black Jim Carrey, only funnier. His movies will make you laugh too, but if you want to see Martin lawrence at his best, watch "Martin". You will not believe how funny this show is! I highly recommend this show to everybody.

My Rating: 11 out of 10! (above average show)

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]