IMDb > "Mad About You" (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mad About You"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Mad About You" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Makes me want to run out and get married.

Author: Michael (maffilms13) from NYC
9 June 2003

This show is a classic. The seven season story of two neurotic New Yorkers, Paul and Jamie, as they fumble their way through love and marriage. In-laws, illegal cable, English neighbors, brushing their teeth, buying a parking space, remembering their first meeting and their VERY first meeting; this couple is adorable, touching and utterly hilarious in everything they do.

In the leads Paul Reiser and Helen Hunt have the best chemistry since Ricky and Lucy. Truth be told, you either fall in love with Paul and Jamie right away or not at all. But once you do fall for them, you will wish their marriage, was your marriage. Now available on DVD, check it out.

A much better show than I ever expected

Author: Mark Bowen
3 November 2007

I never watched this show in its original run, because I thought it was a sappy "relationship" comedy. I have since caught it in syndication, and I am surprised at how good it is. It does have its sappy moments (like even the greatest sitcoms -- except "Seinfeld," which poked fun at this show at least once), but at the core of the show is an homage to all things Manhattan, and classic comedy heavily influenced by "The Dick Van Dyke Show," "I Love Lucy," and Sid Caesar. I have laughed out loud more to this show than I have to some of my other favorites.

The show does have its weaknesses and some annoying characters, but the comedy holds up anyway. If you have avoided this show until now, give it a try.

Belly-laugh show

Author: (Sinatrafan103)
4 July 2006

This show is seriously a belly-laugh show. It may seem pathetic, but once you get hooked on Mad About You, you wake up in the morning looking forward to the half hour you'll spend watching it. The show is perfectly cast, and I mean *perfectly* cast. Paul Reiser and Helen Hunt play off each other wonderfully-- The writing is seriously some of the best ever on TV. I watch the show when it's on at 2:30AM and everyone else in my house is asleep, and I honestly have to bite my lip to keep from laughing so loud that I wake everyone else up. Long story short: if you are looking for a clever, high brow, witty, well written, wonderfully acted, exceptional show you won't find it anywhere else. I just cannot think of enough adjectives to describe just how much I love, love, love this show!

This is some good TV!

Author: Petri Pelkonen (petri_pelkonen@hotmail.com) from Finland
7 November 2003

Mad About You is a show about a married couple, Paul and Jamie Buchman, and they live in New York. The humor of the show comes from the every day stuff that happens in life. I gotta tell you, a sitcom can't get too much better from this. It can be very funny sometimes, pretty often actually, but it can be pretty serious also from time to time. One of the main things why this show works so good, is the actors. Paul Reiser and Helen Hunt are perfect as the leading stars. And why are they so good? Because they have chemistry. They have it so much it could fill the whole room. From the other cast I have to mention Leila Kenzle as Fran, Anne Ramsay as Lisa, Richard Kind as Mark, John Pankow as Ira, Cynthia Harris as Sylvia, Louis Zorich as Burt, Carol Burnett as Theresa, Carroll O'Connor as Gus and Lisa Kudrow as Ursula. And let's not forget Maui the Dog as Murray. That dog got all the best lines! The guests of the show are unique. Many times they have stole the show. Or how do you like this guest list; Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner, Jerry Seinfeld, Jerry Lewis...the list just goes on. In Mad About You the dialogue is something really amazing. There just isn't one bad thing I can tell you about this show. Well one bad thing is that it has ended now. There is no Mad About You no more because they canceled it four years ago. It ran in the years 1992-1999 and it was good while it lasted. But everything must end sometimes.Now there are nothing but reruns. So let's just enjoy watching the reruns of one great television show.

Definitely worth watching

Author: sheridanclan6 from United States
10 January 2009

My wife and I have been watching collections of some great comedies (Seinfeld, I Love Lucy, Friends, Frasier, Dick Van Dyke) and have found "Mad About You" (at least the first 3 seasons) to be on par with all of them. The show is funny and great at exploring relationship idiosyncrasies. Paul Reiser is very funny and the writing is outstanding. There are certainly some sappy moments but all shows have that at one point or another. The chemistry between Paul Reiser and Helen Hunt is excellent and that chemistry gives the show more believability. I wish Sony would release the entire series (or at least group the first 3 seasons in a collection). This show is definitely worth watching.

My new favorite series

Author: Andre Walker from Brazil
28 September 2013

I used to watch random episodes of Mad About You a few years ago. It was fun, as much as Seinfeld, Friends and similar sitcoms. Lighthearted, funny, it was very pleasing to watch. But it wasn't until recently, when I decided to watch the entire series, from the first episode to the last, that it really became my favorite show.

I was so amazed by it, so impressed! The characters were so involving, so easy to relate. The story, funny and filled with smart ironies, while at the same time always dealing with relevant life, society and family issues. Well, I became absolutely fascinated by it.

So it came as a surprise to see how low was the score here on IMDb, which is usually very precise. After some thought, I believe the reason is on the first place a matter of style. I'm 22 years old, and I really doubt the style Mad About You was made is really appealing to most people of my generation, used to Friends, How I Met Your Mother and so on. It's very different. Not that it bothered me, but well, people are different. Also, Mad About You wasn't aiming to be simple entertainment, at least the way I see it. I believe the point was to be not only fun, but artistic, creative, and socially relevant. So, even though it was brilliant, it might not always be appealing to everyone.

But, if you're reading this, and you don't find much interest in the series, I urge you: please reconsider! It's a classic, and if you give it a chance you will really appreciate it. I hope to have convinced you by the end of this review :)

So, I'll describe three reasons why I fell in love with the series.

First, it has an elaborate sense of humor. There are so many different kinds of jokes throughout the series. Some are just picturing silly things common people do, the contradictions we all have. Take the theme song, for instance: "tell me all of your secrets and I'll tell you most of mine". It's the little things, you see? :) Other jokes are more elaborate, connecting the beginning of the episode to the end, with impressive cohesion. It is filled with so many ironies, making the entire show extremely pleasing to watch. And, even though it's not the kind of series in which you'll be laughing the entire time, it does have a few hilarious moments.

Besides that, it is beautifully crafted, from the plot line to the direction and acting. Really, it has a remarkable quality. Some episodes must have been extremely difficult to film and were still perfect. Yes, some of them were really impressive works of art. Paul Reiser and Helen Hunt not only have that chemistry others have mentioned, but they are also incredible actors. And whoever trained Murray (the dog) has made an awesome job. Mad About You wouldn't be so cool if Murray wasn't a part of it. Also, many episodes had a very creative way of being "meta-linguistic", kind of referring to itself in the end. That was often funny too!

Finally, and most importantly, it is deeply meaningful. Even while describing seemingly unimportant daily events, it had a deep message. Basically, while the mass culture of our time praises lives without commitment and makes marriage seem somewhat obsolete, here are Jamie and Paul showing that it is not true. It's better to be together than to be apart. More than that, it is better to be married than just together. "That paper in the city hall" is not irrelevant, it has an important role, and it is worth it. And, you see, it's not that Jamie and Paul are perfect; far from that! They are a quite troublesome couple, in fact! But still, they find a way to be happy together. The show is extremely honest describing their issues, and just like real couples, they undergo some pretty rough times. Still, after watching it, most people (me included) feel motivated and anxious to get married, not naively thinking it's easy, but knowing that it is worth it.

Not to say that the show is only meaningful or relevant because of what it says about marriage. But I'll leave that for other reviews to describe :P

So, yeah, Mad About You is pretty awesome. Don't discard it for the latest hype. If you have the chance, watch the entire series, you won't regret it.

Paul Reiser's NY life

Author: SnoopyStyle
2 September 2013

Paul Reiser and Helen Hunt are Paul Buchman and Jamie Stemple Buchman, a young NY yuppie couple. He's a indie documentary filmmaker. And they bicker and love their way thru the days.

There isn't some crazy job or crazy structure. It's the very ordinary family life that produce the biggest laughs. This is truly Paul Reiser's show.

John Pankow star as Paul's brother Ira Buchman, and Anne Ramsay as Jamie's sister Lisa Stemple. They all have great chemistry, but it's the couple's relationship that's most compelling.

Considering it had 7 seasons, it should be considered a great success. But I get a sense that it's often overlooked.

Mad About You

Author: smooth_op_85 from United States
6 September 2006

Shows seem to have a lot of neurotic New Yorkers these days, lol. But Paul and Jamie Buchman were out there about the same time that Jerry, Elaine, Kraemer and George were dazzling our hearts as the neurotic singles out there in the Big Apple.

However, this neurotic couple has captured peoples' hearts and funny bone as they also went through their own little so-called life. I've seen very few and I love them already. You can tell that the two MUST have the chemistry that they display on screen and must have a lot of respect for each other. I can't wait to see it again either. Paul Reiser is one of my favorite actors and I loved him In Beverly Hills Cop, so seeing him more in the show is a welcome change.

once in a life atime

Author: NAS from Oman
14 May 2001

"Mad About You" is an once in a life time series as you see in it that no series ever the same magical formula of comedy and romance. In this series you never feel like you are watching some show on T.V because it feels like real life with romance and a lot of moments full of laughs.

Good, not great

Author: crying_freeman_108 from sacramento, ca
12 May 2006

Mad About You follows the formula of a typical 90's NBC sitcom. All the required elements are there, a wacky character (Mark), a crazy character(Lisa), a snooty character(the neighbors), and a funny pet(Murray). However at times the writing and acting would make this show much better than the sum of these assembly line parts. Everybody knows Helen Hunt and all the awards she piled up but the contributions of Anne Ramsay are almost always overlooked. Her neurotic persona was the perfect contrast to Paul and Jamie. Although her character was an annoying and clingy personality, it often presented some excellent comic situation the more straight laced Buchman's would never engage in. The seemingly never ending series of problems Lisa would frustrate Paul and Jamie with was one of my favorite aspects of the show. The way in which Hunt and Reiser play off each other is another highlight. Unlike other couples in TV sitcoms the chemistry is undeniable in the first few seasons. So when the show would veer into more sentimental episodes, more often than not they would work. In the first few seasons the show was very subtle, no big madcap adventures making it much more interesting. They could get a lot of mileage out of simple scenarios, like a couple forced to spend New Years apart. Unfortunately after season 3's excellent 2 part finale the show took a severe dive in quality. The show became very hit or miss in season 4and by season 5 it was exhausted. Another problem is the show was written with a very choppy back and forth dialog flow which could sound very unnatural at times. It becomes more noticeable as you get into later seasons. It is a shame the show was stretched out so long because the first 3 seasons are generally excellent. A 9 for years 1-3, A 4 for years 4-7, Call it a 6 for the overall series.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]