IMDb > "Highlander" (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Highlander"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Highlander" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Interesting, entertaining and thought provoking series

Author: Elson321 from United Kingdom
16 January 2005

This interesting highlander series has a lot more to it than action, fantasy and drama. The characters are well acted, and thought out by the actors and screenwriters, respectively. The plots were excellently written, especially linking Duncan Mcleod's past until now, the current time period. I probably think this because i have always been a fan of time period fantasy dramas such as Highlander (1992-1998), Angel (1999-2004) and Witchblade (2001-2002).

I especially love it when events of the past are explained through such dramas like Highlander. One example of this is within one of my favourite episodes in 19th or 18th century historical England where Mary Shelly, the author of the famous novel called 'Frankenstein', sees one immortal get stabbed and then rise to life again. She goes on to comment that seeing such an event inspired her to write 'Frankenstein'

Thought provoking questions about the series, as some members have already mention, arose such as what was it like for immortals to outlive their loved ones? What was it like to live forever?

Adrian Paul as the lead actor, playing Duncan Mcleod, was excellent. His talents of martial arts and acting skills really shine in this series. Afterall, the series did last for 7 years.

However, the series did have some faults. One of them being how does Duncan beat every immortal he fights, even ones who are much older, wiser and more experienced in combat than he is. I know there is the good old 'smart-aleky' answer of 'because there would be no one else to carry on the show' but it still remains a question unanswered satisfactorily. Other members have brought up even better questions that pick out the faults of this show you can read.

But overall, it is an interesting and good quality series that is worth watching. After a few episodes the characters will grow on you.The interesting plots will also intrigue you. Give it a try! I give it a 4/5

Fascinating and thoughtfoul.

Author: dimadick from Alexandroupolis, Greece
25 August 2001

The idea of immortals isn't new.This show examines the life of "immortals" and examines the answers to question as: What is like surviving your loved ones?Surviving your family?Your hometown?Your country?Your religion?The civilisation whose ideas you carry on?It can be thoughtful.Especialy once you stop thinking about "good"and "evil"immortals and start examining what makes them act the way they do.It's deeper than most modern TV shows and far better than the movies with the same name.The charachters tend to be very interesting.Especially the cynic,dissilusioned immortal Methos the surviver.Five thousand years old and he is sounding like count Fosca from de Beauvoir's "All Men Are Mortal"who is bitter,dissilusioned and hopelessely alone,destined to survive mankind.Other charachters of interest to viewers are1)Amanda the French,manipulative thieves who seems to enjoy her life more than other immortals seem to do.Has she found the meaning of life?2)Duncan McLeodThe star.Noble and thick-headed.He doesn't hunt other immortals.He waits for them to come and they do.How important is he?3)Darius,general and priest.What made him quit the game anyway.4)Kalas,singer and monk.An immortal killer who loves music and plotting.5)Kronos a horseman.He brings anarchy. The show is definitely worth seing.

Thoughtful, and very hot

Author: Venus-25 from New York, NY
29 October 2001

Far superior to the films, for every reason: Better venue for developing the mythos and the characters, better opportunity to explore the nature and implications of immortality, and a far superior leading man for all the reasons we choose them. Adrian Paul (who inspires whole libraries of romance novels) looks magnificent and convincing in any time period and has ALL the right moves. He's also a vastly superior actor to Christopher Lambert. It is easy to see why the producers regretted not having made Duncan MacLeod immortal in an earlier time period; not only would there have been more history to explore and a richer background for Duncan, but it would have provided more visual riches for the audience.

The series jumped the shark after season 5, which I think had some of its best episodes: "Comes a Horseman", "Revelation 6:8", "Duende", "Dramatic License", "Little Tin God". "The Stone of Scone," which has its defects, represents an episode type that this series should have done more of: a complete flashback without 20th C references. The possibilities of such episodes were a missed opportunity.

Season 5

Author: manicmyk from Quincy, IL USA
15 September 2004

The quality of the Highlander DVD box sets is a delight through all six releases. Season Five is no exception and contains the same unique special features and great video transfer as the rest. My one major turn off that, unfortunately, seems to be an industry standard is the folding package that takes up the whole coffee table. It doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the series or the special features which were enough in the first two seasons two make me buy the rest, at a premium for my impatience, from the official site (www.highlander-official.com).

As in the previous season, Highlander season 5 begins with a tale of Duncan's childhood. Through present day events and flashbacks, ' Prophecy' shows us a whole new breed of older immortal with powers that certainly would have helped the character of Methos (Peter Wingfield) in earlier seasons, mind control over humans and younger immortals through a powerful form of hypnotic suggestion. We are introduced to the character of Casandra, the first immortal that Duncan (Adrian Paul) ever came into contact with as a child and a fabled witch in his native village. 'Prophecy' as befits its title foreshadows the entire season we later find, even to the point of making minor mention of Connor MacLeod, Duncan's distant cousin and the hero of the original Highlander movie. While some may not see the referencing of the original movie for the first time since the pilot for the series as foreshadowing, to me it stands as a statement from the producers that all bets are off.

It is easy to forget that there is now a 'chosen one' prophecy hanging over Duncan's head as you get into the season. After his failed attempt to kill Richie Ryan (Stan Kirsch) during his 'Dark Quickening' (the 'good guy gone evil through no fault of his own' scenario of the previous season), Duncan must make amends with his former pupil or push him away. Relations are still strained with Joe Dawson, his former Watcher now friend and Methos shows up in enough episodes this season that the producers must have been thinking spin-off.

The penultimate season of Highlander has the usual mix of comedic episodes interspersed with the serious. Highlights of the lighter episodes include the return of Roger Daltrey as Hugh Fitzcairn in an entirely 'historical' episode entitled 'The Stone of Scone' and a 'Bonnie and Clyde' style romp with the spin-off character Amanda (Elisabeth Gracen) and her former partner Cory Raines (Nicolas Lea) making Duncan's life miserable both in present day and the past in 'Money No Object.' The Funniest moments from the season come from an episode entitled 'Dramatic License' in which a female author has published a romance novel about Duncan and an exaggerated account of some of his many exploits.

Foreshadowing plays a huge role in this season and the Prophecy that was told in the opening episode starts to come into play in the darker episodes of the season. In 'Comes a Horseman' and 'Revelation 6:8' we find that Methos has been hiding an a secret of his ancient and evil past that could end up destroying the world. 'Double Jeopardy' uses the Highlander master craft of the flashback to reintroduce us to one of the series original and deadliest villains, who may not be dead after all, Xavier St. Cloud (Roland Gift). Finally, 'Archangel', the finale, introduces the deadliest threat to immortals yet which may very well Satan himself

Excellent series!!

Author: (smtuxmask) from USA
5 July 2004

This has to be one of the best Sci-Fi series out there. Adrian Paul is an excellent actor and fits the part perfect as Duncan. The first season was really over the top with Tessa. Duncan and Tessa made an excellent couple.

All in all, an excellent series. Only thing is, it should have went on for some more seasons, but running as many years as it did is indication enough to tell you it's a great series. Highlander fans will love it.

I always like how Duncan has the 'flashbacks' to previous 'lives'. Just adds to the character and shows what he had to do and go through throughout his immortal life.

There Can Be Only One!

Author: jeffman52001 from Normal, IL, USA
17 August 2004

I am a big Highlander fan,this show is so wonderful, great cast and crew. Adrian Paul is so wonderful as Duncan MacLeod. The show really does explore the good and bad sides of immortality, Duncan MacLeod is a man of Principle and morals, he was born 400 years ago in the Highlands of Scotland. He has been around the world, made some friends and made enemies too. There are good and evil immortals. The cast consists of Stan Kirsch as Richie Ryan who becomes immortal in season 2, Alexandra Vanderoot as Tessa, MacLeod's girlfriend who knows he's immortal, Jim Byrnes(Wiseguy and Higher Ground) as Joe Dawson, a member of the secret society known as "The Watchers" who know about immortals, the late Werner Stocker as 2000 year old immortal priest, Darius. Peter Wingfield as the oldest immortal, Methos, who is 5000 years old. Duncan MacLeod has fought a lot of evil immortals and defeated them, even the ones who are older that he and more powerful than him, his courage and skills is what it takes to win. My favorite good immortals next to MacLoed are Darius, Methos and Amanda, the 1100 year old immortal, Richie Ryan, Marcus Constatine and Sean Burns. My favorite evil immortals are Kalas, Xavier St. Cloud played by Roland Gift of the 80's pop group "The Fine Young Cannibals", Kronos and Grayson. I also for a good immortal I like Hugh Fitzcairn, played superbly by Roger Daltrey of "The Who". Joan Jett made a guest appearance in the first season episode as immortal Felicia Martens. This show really rocks,they play great songs by Queen, the song "Princes Of The Universe" is the perfect song for the theme music of the show. I give this show 2 thumbs up.

THE TIME OF THE "QUICKENING" IS HERE...........

Author: gary renfield (gary_renfield@email.com) from NEW JERSEY, USA
30 June 1999

This series is a seamless excerpt from the time line of the Highlander movies. A science fiction fantasy deluxe, the tale of Duncan McLeod, of the klan McLeod, becomes a realistic, believable, secret world hidden within our own. The only "real" sadness is Duncan's eternal loneliness due to the eventual deaths of all he allows near. Mortals are so fragile and, as for immortals, "There can be only one!"

Very easy to get caught up in, my children and I each carried katanas (plastic sword replicas) for many months during the original run of the series. Duplicating sword "riffs" and "taking" heads made for many hours of "immortal" fun.

Try to catch "HIGHLANDER" from the beginning episode and follow Duncan through the centuries of his life (in present day and flashback sequences). He adapts to all "times" and we get to learn perspective on present day and (supposedly) historical events immortals have influenced or shaped.

Too bad it's gone, but you can only save the world so many times before it gets old. There are re-runs though......

Great Series

Author: Eric from united states
27 May 2003

I liked the movies. okay I loved the first movie and hated the second then kinda liked the third and I liked endgame. Two outta four ain't that bad. Anyway. I liked the movies BUT in the fighting choreography Christopher Lambert cannot match Adrian Paul. The sword fights in the series got better throug the season's. If your into martial arts (perferably with a sword kata's) like me you'll know what i'm talking about. It seems like Adrian KNEW at least a little something about sword fighting. Maybe i'm looking too deep anyway i give it a 9/10. And i want the DVD set

Later

I love the concept...

Author: (ever_and_ever1592@hotmail.com) from north carolina
29 June 2002

Ever feel that good things go to those who don't deserve them? If only someone who could do it justice had gotten hold of Gregory Widen's brilliant idea. But no. So I just pretend that the ending of the original movie and all the other movies never happened, as well as all the stupidity of the last season of the series. (who ever heard of the hero only appearing in about 3 episodes of the final season?) I just wish the show had taken itself a little more seriously. Here was a grand opportunity to bring some genuine high concept to TV and the series did that in many respects. However, it was made in the 90's and the bits which seem out of place now were, I suppose, the best they could do. Still, the series was the first of a wonderful kind of modern fantasy TV genre, which has been followed by the Crow: Stairway to Heaven, and now Witchblade. (If only the writers of Witchblade had written the series! Not to mention if the series would've had those kind of effects.) I just pick and choose what fits with my personal vision of highlander. Watch it yourself and make up your own mind- it is definately worth it.

Final Words: Quit making the idiotic movie sequels. Give Methos his own show and set it entirely in the past.

There's just too much going on for any of it to matter

Author: anubisswift from United States
5 August 2013

Richie Ryan was and integral part to the show. After his death, it seemed repetitive and dull. I would rather it ended with the demon pazuzu defeating Duncan's spirit. At least it had more closure and we could imagine the rest. The acting was great, i think there must be a curse as none of the start made it as big as they should have, but guest such as barry pepper, ron pearlman and others are pretty huge. This show is about morality and forgiveness in a world gone mad. It was unsurpassed in geographic locations, cinematography and lighting on TV. Season 1 was rough and a bit hard to get into. The background music was always great and original, but starting season 5 sound started getting too goofy taking away from the mystique. Now we get into unnecessary story arcs. Often there were branchings off from the Macleod cannon that were throw-away episodes altogether. The better ones were not resolved in a single hour, but involved multi-episodic recurring villains. The historical flashbacks and effects were well done and stylistically advanced. Overall there had not been a more thrilling program on television. The series is simply a case of having too much; which devalues the better, linear portion. The Cacophony drowns out a masterpiece. In my opinion it is still better that any of its film derivatives.

Suggestions: start at season 2, end at 5 finale, don't watch raven, get rid of tessa, get rid of dr. lindsey, more methos, and for an antiquities dealer i expected more artifacts. You can never have enough dank abandoned factories. I've said my peace.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]