IMDb > "Hearts Afire" (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Hearts Afire" More at IMDbPro »

Practically 2 different series

Author: budikavlan from Irving, TX
18 December 2002

As the plot summary says, this was originally about a married couple working for a Senator in Washington, DC. The second and third seasons were about the same couple, having moved to a small town, running a newspaper. The two locales had different supporting casts except for John Ritter, Markie Post, Billy Bob Thornton, and the kids. The second incarnation of "Hearts Afire" was superior--owing much to the more relaxed, quirky atmosphere of the small town, and to supporting characters there played by Conchata Ferrell and Leslie Jordan. The friction/chemistry between Thornton and Ferrell was great.

Our Hearts Were Afire!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
29 April 2007

I think I preferred the show best when it was set in Washington D.C. over Arkansas. Anyway, the relationship between Markie Post and John Ritter sizzled on screen. They had a terrific supporting cast like Billy Bob Thornton, Conchata Farrell, Beth Broderick, Wendie Jo Sperber, etc. The show was created by Bill Clinton's friends, Bob and Susan Thomason. The show never appeared to be a huge success but the show's writing was alright but the cast was first rate with sitcom veterans Post and Ritter. I think the show could have lasted longer but CBS who also had Evening Shade and Designing Women must have had problems with the show's creators. I don't know what happened but I still think the show had legs but the network didn't give it a chance to shine. It could have sizzled if time was allowed for it to adjust.

I'm confused

Author: Brandon Thornburg from Portland, OR
25 October 2000

Who can help me with this? I just saw my first ever episode of this show on USA and rather than Washington, they appear to be working at a small-town newspaper. Is this one of those "the-pilot-wasn't-that-great-so-let's-completely-rework-it-into-a-new-theme" things?

Markie Post's sizzle is too classy for Washington.

Author: SanDiego
31 March 2000

Before Billy Bob Thorton was directing John Ritter in quirky movies, he was part of a terrific cast with John Ritter in "Hearts Afire." This must have looked like a sure fire hit with the excellent John Ritter, equally talented (and gorgeous) Markie Post, Ed Asner (one of the great TV stars of all time), and an A-list of support players including George Gaynes, Beth Broderick, Conchata Ferrell, and Wendy Jo Sperber. Billy Bob (playing the part of "Billy Bob") was an attempt to mimic the Clinton staff good-ol-boys but as time would tell he was much too nice and much too honest for the part. The chemistry between Ritter and Post ranged from good to hot. Ritter was never so sophisticated and Post was never more animated or sexy. Perhaps this series was too much like other series before, and perhaps the writer's take on Washington was not very accurate. A series like this should know it's topic very well (as do some current White House series) so we can really believe these people are where they say they are. Shows like Murphy Brown, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, WKRP, and the old Dick Van Dyke Show knew their subjects because the writers were familiar with newsrooms, radio stations, and comedy shows. With Clinton's affair (no pun intended) with Hollywood, more Hollywood producers are in tune to the Washington scene today than they were at the beginning of his administration and at the conception of this show. The show would have worked better with an Evening Shade type of setting, a small regular town perhaps. In any case, Markie Post and John Ritter had some of the sexiest scenes for a situation comedy. The Washington scene is a place for sex and hookers, but not a place for sexy.