IMDb > "Hangin' with Mr. Cooper" (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Hangin' with Mr. Cooper"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Hangin' with Mr. Cooper" More at IMDbPro »

a funny show which deserved a better ending

Author: waiching liu from London, England, UK
21 June 2007

I know a lot of people didn't like Hangin' with Mr Cooper but i did and i thought it was a funny sitcom. Mark Curry was just off the wall, as ex-basketball player Mark cooper, whose injury cuts short his sporting career and thus, he ends up being a science teacher/sports instructor at Oakland college, whilst Holly Robinson Peete proved that she can act in a sitcom, after her early stint in the 80s US hit drama, 21 jump street, playing Vanessa Russell. Dawnn Lewis from A Different World rounded up the cast as Robin Dumars.

The show did lose its momentum slightly when Geneva and her daughter, Nicole played by Raven Symone arrived on the scene, although i thought the romantic subplot involving Mark and Vanessa as the show progressed was interesting. I actually thought they looked cute as a couple; therefore i didn't have anything against it, i was just surprised that it wasn't until so late on in the series that the pair admitted their feelings for each other.The timing of it was rather inadequate and out of sync with the show.

I personally didn't think that Hangin' With Mr Cooper was trying to be like any other(black)sitcom but rather it had it's own agenda; although you could argue that whilst the main character Marion,in In The House was a former American Football player, Mark in 'Hangin' With...' was a ex- professional basketball player, who ends up sharing a house with two other women.

Eventually, the show got cancelled- much to my dismay- because it was and still is one of my favourite sitcoms ever and the ending was rather ill-timed and unfortunate, thus we will never know what the future holds for Mark and Vanessa as a couple.

Nonetheless, Hangin' with Mr Cooper was a fun-filled, humorous show, which should've got and deserved a much better conclusion to the sitcom.

Give it up, give it up

Author: Op_Prime from Ardmore, PA
9 January 2000

This show was hilarious. All of the cast was great, especially the star Mark Curry who was the funniest. I had many great moments laughing at this show. It is a classic show. Everything about this show was pure gold. I was saddened to know this show was cancelled. That was a shame. That is why I'm thankful for reruns.

A Show for the Ages...

Author: Chris (nikecjc@yahoo.com) from Richmond, Virginia
12 February 2004

Ok, so that may be a bit much. Nevertheless, it was a solid comedy that fit perfect into that TGIF-based Friday network programming.

Except it didn't rely on a quirky family set-up or a set of twins playing one person.

Instead it had a hilarious Mark Curry at the center of a hilarious show. His job and everything about him fit.

The side characters were all great, except when Raven Symone was nearly written into nearly as important as a character.

Vanessa was always the perfect babe. Geneva was annoying, but always at the right levels. PJ was the perfect principal to mock. And Omar Gooding, who excelled in Playmakers, was the perfect Ervin.

Frankly, I still miss the show.

And as for that Tyler kid, hilarious as always.

Come back Mark Curry. Celebrity Mole isn't enough!

Good one

Author: SanteeFats from United States
7 September 2013

I really enjoy this series. It is just an ethnically based comedy series that shows some of the trials undergone in certain neighborhoods. It is done with humor and yet with seriousness. Mark Cooper is the want to be NBAer who actually gets a ten day contract who is a teacher/coach at a high school. Dawnn Lewis is one of his roommates in season one. She is a long time friend of Marks and helps him out at times. I don't know why she left after season one but then entered Quarterman as a cousin with child (Raven-Symone). This introduces a different level of discord and what the hell is going on. Nell Carter shows up as the new principal in season 2 and does a decent job but I still like Luis Rivas from season one. Overall I really like this series as really good comedy without being biased to race. It is just a good balanced comedy series.

reruns

Author: Jacksonward from United States
24 June 2005

I am a fan of Hangin' with Mr. Cooper, and watched it when it was on. I was wondering, will it come back on TV showing the reruns again? I saw the reruns after the show was cancelled, and then they just stopped. I agree with another person who commented on it, why was it cancelled? I hope that I can see the show again. I am a great big fan of Raven-Symone. I am currently watching her new show That's so Raven, and it is a big hit. I have watched her grow up from when she was on the Cosby show til now. I will continue to watch her shows,and she has became a bright and talented actress. I don't know what all to say about the show. The characters all done a great job. I never got to see the episode with Mary-Kate and Ashley on there.

" where's my theme music "

Author: Amanda
23 February 2002

I can't believe that a show like Mr.Cooper could ever become cancelled. All the characters are so funny... I laugh so hard when watching it that my sides hurt. I'm very thankful that there are still re-runs 10 years later!

Worth watching

Author: Spider-36 from Baton Rouge, Louisiana
6 August 1999

"Hangin' with Mr. Cooper" was a pretty good sit-com. Mark Curry is an above average comedian and he had very good co-stars, including Holly Robinson Peete and the boy who played the neighbor. I laughed quite a lot when watching and was sorry to see the show cancelled.

Good show

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
15 July 2006

I used to watch this show when I was growing up. Although I don't remember much about it, I must say that it was a pretty good show. Also, I don't think I've seen every episode. However, if you ask me, it was still a good show. However, I remember the theme song very well. Everyone was ideally cast, the costume design was great. The performances were top-grade, too. I just hope some network brings this series back one day so that I'll be able to see every episode. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that I'll always remember this show in my memory forever, even though I don't think I've seen every episode. Now, in conclusion, when and if this show is ever brought back on the air, I hope that you catch it one day before it goes off the air for good.