IMDb > "Eek! the Cat" (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Eek! the Cat"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Eek! the Cat" More at IMDbPro »

Absolutely brilliant

Author: rebeljenn from Bath, England
3 July 2004

I loved this cartoon with the silly fat, fat, purple, and clueless cat and his friends (Mittens, Elmo, Sharkey, Annabelle, and the boring squirrel neighbors). There were a lot of movie parodies and inside jokes: A Hard Day's Night, Rain Man, Elvis, Star Trek, Star Wars, The Graduate, Terminator, etc. It's too bad that there were not more in the series and that the cartoon was not as popular as it could have been. (Maybe if they'd marketed it better?)

I watched it when I was in my mid teens and then again when I was in university, and I loved it both times. I wish they'd bring it back or put it onto DVD. I'd certainly buy it if they did because this show has provided me with a lot of laughter and I occasionally bring it up with my friends, many who haven't heard of it.

Simply genius

Author: goose749 from Boston
23 January 2004

Eek is amongst one of my favorite cartoons of all time. It is the epitome of physical violence. Eek, a fat purple cat, lives for one thing - helping others. The show is based upon disproving Eek's mantra, "It never hurts to help." Of course, all Eek's pains go entirely unnoticed by his bratty family.

This show is a work of genius simply because it takes a character that we're taught to be like, a cat with an altruistic nature straight from the bible (KUMBAYA!), and pits him against modern problems, obviously greatly exaggerated for effect. The genius is in the simplicity of this. Of course, this simplicity can only make so many episodes, and so Eek soon joined with The Terrible Thunderlizards (think Garfield and US Acres), and the Eek segments were shorter. Once this happened, Eek was no longer quite as good. Still, it was a brand of humor that has never been very well replicated, which is unfortunate. We need more cartoons like this.

OW! OW! GET IT OFF! GET IT OFF! AAAHHHHHH!

Author: Baroque
9 December 2002

Wild, manic, and very, very clever. Perhaps a bit TOO hip for the kids. Eek is a hopelessly optimistic cat who is head over heels over the neighbor's cat, Wendy Elizabeth, a massively obese feline, who shares a backyard with Sharkey, a (literally) fire-breathing fusion of dog and shark. It's not this combination that made the series so memorable, it was the themes of many of the episodes that were parodies of films.

What other animated series could get away with parodies of "A Clockwork Orange", "Apocalypse Now", "Easy Rider" and "Pulp Fiction"? I was half expecting a parody of "Eraserhead" to show up.

If it ever gets back onto TV, watch it. Especially for the hyperkinetic opening segment from the show's first season.

Kumbaya!

Author: Chucky_Jr
26 October 2006

This is one of my favorite shows from my childhood. The crazy, sometimes even Monty Python-like humor is incredible. The main character is the lovable purple cat. He tries to be helpful and kind to others, but because he's a bit clumsy and dumb, he sometimes makes things even worse. The other characters like his overweight girlfriend, his owners (A mother and her bratty kids) and the shark-like dog who is always out to get him are a lot fun to. Some of the episodes had some satirical humor in them, as well as good, old crazy cartoon violence. Why this hilarious show hasn't been released on DVD yet I don't understand.

Get it off! Get if OFF!

Author: bigsleepj from Captain Nemo's Submarine
18 June 2001

Certainly one of the most original spoof shows in the history of television is Eek! the Cat. It's surreal, it's nonsensical, it's satirical---the things the best shows are made of.

You can't help but love this series with such wonderful characters: Eek! the purple cat, his obese girlfriend Annabelle and her pet shark-dog Sharky, Mittens the depressed cat and Elmo the Incredible Elk, whose little brother Timmy always have some kind of bizarre ailment. This show spoofs pretty much every famous movie. Some of the best spoofs are Jaws (a mutated fish in the kiddie pool), Apocalypse Now! (a search for a surprisingly obese Sharky), the Exorcist (pea soup, Barney the Dinosaur and big-eyed dolls), Pulp Fiction (a briefcase, a Geek in a box and a dentist) and The Terminator (dog catchers and the Hubble Space telescope).

Each episode consists of the following. Eek! is dating Annabelle, Sharky doesn't like Eek! and wants to hurt him. Elmo the Elk goes about raising money for his Little Brother Timmy's operation while Mittens just try to get through the day. These aren't different shorts like Animaniacs; these are usually all the same episode.

Brought to you by the man who brought us the movie Better off Dead (Savage Steve Holland) this series is pure genius. It does have it's faults but if you love weird TV this is the series for you.

Simply genius

Author: goose749 from Boston
23 January 2004

Garfield, eat your heart out!

Author: devil_may_cry_ldk_dante_sparda from U.S.
1 July 2003

I liked Garfield but I loved Eek! When I look back on Eek, I realize his girlfriend Annabelle was a horrific reflection of the "then" beautiful Anna Nicole Smith. I mean really.EEEEEEEEKKKK!!!!! This cartoon featured the likes of dinosaurs being fooled by an idealistic neanderthal and a frustrated one! If a miracle occurs and this is back on the air, collect em!!!! I especially loved Mr T REX!!! (you photosynthesized foo!!!!)

Wow, and I remember it after all these years...

Author: Ghetto_superstar1989 from Up there
7 December 2002

This was next to Bobby's World in the best classic Fox Kids toons. This show was about a purple cat who had a girlfriend next door with a half shark half dog named Sharky (or something like that).

You would never know what happened in each episode. There was this one time where the kids were watching "Massacre in Mulberry (they never showed what it looked like)." Let's not forget the Mighty Mutant Shower Strangers (lol).

I don't like how Fox Kids changed their name and replaced everything with all these Japanese action shows (Ultimate Muscle, Fighting Foodons, etc). Seriously Foxbox, how many shows like that can we stand? They should at least bring this back on Cartoon Network.

I love this show

Author: Liz-59 from Philadelphia, Pa
23 August 1999

As a huge fan of ridiculous television, this show fits my style perfectly. It's pretty much about a cat named Eek who has a strange paranoia about pretty much everything (Monsters, Bananas, Mr. Roger) and all of his friends who take him on wild adventures. It's kind of like Scooby Doo, but the dog is a cat, the humans are animals and it's not so involved.

I love this show