IMDb > "California Dreams" (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"California Dreams"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"California Dreams" More at IMDbPro »

Better than Saved by the bell

Author: departed07 from United States
11 April 2004

California Dreams came out in the year when Saved by the bell was on its knees before the finale. What i liked about the show is that it is about a group of kids who form their own band and sing songs. Yes, the stories are copies from Saved by the bell, a Peter Engel production, but what really makes up for the show is the soundtrack. you don't have to watch a show to like its music, you can like the show for having wonderful characters and attitude. It's just a shame that the show lasted five years, compared to Saved by the bell which had two spinoffs and lasted for eight years.

NBC should make shows like these.

A Wonderful Show

Author: buffbabe23 (buffbabe23@hotmail.com) from Michigan, USA
13 June 2001

I used to watch this show almost a decade ago. I was pretty young at the time, but I remember watching some re-runs somewhere and then finding out that it was one of the TNBC (Teen NBC) shows on Saturday mornings. After the first couple episodes, I was hooked. I don't know what it is about this show that got me hooked, but I was hooked. :) After watching "Saved By the Bell" for years, I watch it now and I almost cringe, but "California Dreams" was a great show and I loved watching re-runs up until a couple years ago, when they went off the air. Hopefully, I'll get to see some re-runs of it again... I really miss the cast. :)

Similar to Saved By the Bell in theme

Author: Op_Prime from Ardmore, PA
9 January 2000

California Dreams is similar to Saved By the Bell. It's about a group of teens who have a rock band. Like Saved By the Bell, some kind of serious issue arises and the characters have to deal with it. This series was not all that bad. In fact, it was very funny. Catch the reruns where ever you can.

i even have the cd!

Author: louisemcmahon (louisemcmahon@smackdown96.freeserve.co.uk)
26 December 2002

california dreams is one of the best teen tv shows ever in my opinion. it was really funny with a wicked cast. plus the music that the band did was great! i bought the cd soundtrack and play it all these years later! i liked the way the show had it's comedy moments yet still managed to have some more serious issues in it. about a year ago nicelodian uk were doing repeats of it and i taped every episode they showed just so i can still watch this amazing show.

Good, Classic TNBC Television

Author: actionmoviestar from United States
22 December 2005

"California Dreams" was more than a good television show. It was in fact my favorite TNBC television show during the time it was on air. California Dreams basically focused on a group of teenagers with a rock band that also dealt with serious issues in their life.

This show, had some of the most memorable songs written for a television show. I use to love to sing the show's theme song as soon as it came on. "California Dreams" was just a good, fun, clean-cut show. When I think about it, this show is nothing but a "revenge of the 90's" type show because it debuted in the early nineties during the time of all the various rock and roll forms arosed.

If one wants to see, good classic TNBC television(before what it has evolved into now) then you should try watching "California Dreams."

one of my favorite shows EVER!!!!!! better than Saved by the bell

Author: ylopez4-1 from United States
29 October 2011

I love this show it was better than Saved By The Bell, it seem more credible. I love the actor that portrayed Jake, actually I had a crush on him (Jay Anthony Franke) HE WAS HOTT!!! he was cool, not too overrated,,,, I love sly, Tiffany,Sam,Tony they were all really funny,, I still watch the reruns whenever I can brought me back good memories,when i was in junior high, so why not it was a great show, plus they didn't have that dork screech, LOL i couldn't stand him he was not funny, he was dumb. Sly was FUNNY! lol and cute to look at. The girls were hilarious my favorite one was Tiffani, I thought she was the stereotypical blond California girl LOL cute sassy, perky surf-boarder, Samantha was hilarious(great singer too) Jenny from the first two seasons was cool. I recently saw the reunion not bad, everyone looked great....... The only thing that sux, was well that the show ended much quicker than saved by the bell, it should have been longer, anyways it was a great show.

Another great show produced by Peter Engel

Author: bittenbythedancingbug from United Kingdom
22 April 2007

I have to say I loved watching this show when I was a kid. It has to be one of the better shows that Peter Engel came up with that followed the same sort of story lines, characters and plot structures set out by Saved By The Bell (another great one that should be checked out is Hang Time).

While it followed the format set out by Saved By The Bell it differed slightly with the concept of it being about a band. Some of the songs are a little corny while others are really great and I still love them now.

Great programme that I would love to watch again but it can never match up to its predecessor: SBTB.

waded in for the sake of Kelly Packard, drowning in a sea of annoying junk

Author: RavenGlamDVDCollector from South Africa
29 September 2016

"Surf dudes with attituuude..." yyyaaaaccckkk! That has just got to be the queerest song ever. Especially as the lead singer is a guy... And then there is Brent Gore, in the intros of Season 2, pulling his face into a little snout like a choirboy.

Really people what were you thinking? Are these guys still blushing with shame for having appeared in this utterly annoying ridiculous attempt at a teen sit-com? Embarrassing to watch.

Once again the joke is on me. I bought the set depicted on the image currently displayed here on IMDb to see more of Kelly Packard, and, yes, of course that one's a very beautiful young girl, but I have to cringe constantly, there is a constant stream, no, a barrage, of stupidity emanating from my screen as I watch (endure!) this inane little thing.

Okay, so I am from an older generation, even if I had watched it in 1992, but I am young at heart, so that hasn't got anything to do with it.

No matter how pretty Kelly Packard is, this is very lame to watch. I was at the onset dismayed that further seasons weren't available on DVD, now I am relieved. The characters irk me to the point where I'd just love to stomp on them. Several times. Not Kelly Packard of course!

Foolish face-pulling is the main attempt at comedy. Annoying characters, most notably that Tony and the one that was supposed to be the original lead. You see, I don't even care about the story enough to know the names. But, hell, they jump about like garden gnomes on speed. They're about as talented as garden gnomes on speed. The entire cast deserves a good dose of bug-spray. Not Kelly Packard of course. (She's Tiffany, you see I care about that one) Wrap her up, I'll take her home with me!

Another great example from NBC

Author: selfellows from United Kingdom
3 April 2005

What can I say, I started watching the show when I was 12 and 10 years later I still love every episode,a great example of teen comedy and entertainment. Real issues with respect for the designated age group, provides honest moments into the teen psyche while providing a light hearted take on high school situations that remain real and believable. What separates this show from other great offerings such as saved by the bell is the music. Although middle of the road pop rock is not to everyones taste the music is fantastically written by Steve Tyrell, and incredibly well produced. The music highlights the shows themes and are as infectiously catchy as they are entertaining. Critiscims such as the perfect America of the 1950s are misplaced as these miss the aim of the show, to represent teen life without degrading it to teenage sex and drug abuse. California dreams is a clean, entertaining family show which never fails to disappoint. Great cast, great songs, great show!

One of the best

Author: sonny_2003 from NC
18 April 2003

California Dreams was one of the best shows on Saturday morning television. A terrific cast, great music and a lot of laughs is the way I describe this show. Based on a garage band destined to make it big, the "Dreams" go through life's changes, many scams (thanks to Sly), and learn the true meaning of friendship and love. A must see, if you're lucky to catch it in syndication.