Batman: The Animated Series (TV Series 1992–1995) Poster

116 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
The series that finally got it right!
grendelkhan10 September 2003
We longtime (read "old") fans of Batman have been waiting for a cinematic Batman that reflects the greatness of the comic books. Unfortunately, we have had to put up with the worst attempts to realize this great character. The movie serials were atrocious, the Adam West show, although entertaining, treated the character as a joke. The Filmation cartoons and the Superfriends were watered down. The more recent movies are a mixed bag. Then, along came BTAS, and we were finally satisfied.

Everything, from the look and tone of the animation, to the stories and voicework was first-rate. Batman is the Dark knight Detective. He's not a guy in a rubber suit. He is skilled, intelligent, obsessed, tortured, and dedicated. The villains are evil, psychotic, and just plain loopy. We have Paul Dini's wonderful creation of Harley Quinn, the first inspired and interesting character, since Denny O'Neil created Ra's al Ghul.

The creators took their cue from the legendary Flesicher Bros. version of Superman, with it's Art Deco stylings and darker color palette. It took its story concepts from the work of Bill Finger, Denny O'Neil, Frank Miller, and Steve Engelhart. The music was inspired by the wonderful Danny Elfman music from the Tim Burton film. The voicework featured outstanding actors, with mature direction from Andrea Romano.

The only criticism I can level at the show is that they avoided doing a complete episode revolving around Batman's origin. Granted, the broadcast standards and practices limited how much they could show, but they found a way to present Robin's origin, without sacrificing story. They did present elements, but I would have liked to have seen a complete episode, with his training and "year one" adventures. The Superfriends episode, "The Fear" presented more of the origin than BTAS ever depicted. Still, it didn't detract from the overall effectiveness of the series.

The series even improved on some of the elements of the comics. Personally, I never thought much of Bane, but I enjoyed the BTAS version, complete with the Lucha Libre stylings; Bane as luchador hitman, classic! The Joker was far more interesting here than he had been for some time in the comics. The Riddler came across as deadly, rather than a joke. Alfred provided more than window dressing.

This is the series that set the standard for all other cinematic Batman efforts. Thankfully, it removed the bitter taste of Joel Schumacher.
101 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Pinnacle of Animation on Television
Brad L. Wooldridge10 December 1998
It has been a long hard journey to mainstream media for comic book characters, but finally Batman made it with time to spare in Batman: The Animated Series (later renamed The Adventures of Batman & Robin). Groundbreaking animation, superior voice-over work, and top-notch stories have made this series into a creation too stupendous to call a "cartoon." Each episode was a wondrous, albeit dark, trip through Batman's world, and how he faces each and every obstacle Gotham City gives him. Much like an amalgam of all of Batman's two-dimensional incarnations, this series' Dark Knight is tortured and driven, but not requite enough to give his enemies pithy comebacks and display romantic charms. Definitely, this is the way the Batman should and always be depicted.
116 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A True Masterpiece- the greatest body of animated work ever!
wsheit19 September 2004
When Batman: the animated series came around, it didn't take people long to see that it was something different. Here was a "cartoon" that was written for adults. It could be viewed by older kids, but it had great depths for the adults who took any time with it. Each episode (or couple of episodes) acts as its own mini-movie. The structuring of the story in each one is just so well executed. As well, the animation (for its time) was quite good, and still holds up well enough today. Another difference from other animation, is that the color palette is quite dark- which, again, only makes it more interesting. All of the great villains are here (and others you may not have heard of), but they get a very serious and, at times, philosophical explication. One of my favorite things about the series, is that every episode has its own orchestral score- meaning, the music that you hear is tailored to fit the exact moment you are watching. Shirley Walker manages to come up with so many sub-themes and variations on the main theme- and works them in so well with the happenings on screen. For those of you that have seen the series and remember it fondly, you might be interested to know that a box-set of the first 28 episodes was recently released- you can get it just about anywhere.
138 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Finally, someone got Batman right.
hcl-111 March 2002
Forget the camp & cheese of the previous Batman cartoons...this is a masterpiece! The depiction of Batman fighting both the psychos of Gotham City and his inner demons spawned from the murder of his parents years ago is superb. For years Anime had proved that animation need not be just for kids. Batman: The Animated Series solidifies that conclusion.

Kevin Conroy has the perfect voice for both Batman and Bruce Wayne (there is a very obvious distinction). Mark Hamill gives the Joker sadism, sarcasm, and lunacy without resorting to goofiness. Efram Zimblast Jr. makes an excellent Alfred by being loyal, yet openly concerned about his employer's choice of career.

This series is coming to DVD soon - I'm getting in line!
51 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
They Don't Make Them Like This Anymore
ilike69ing13 March 2002
Perhaps the best animated series ever. It provides great accuracy in the stories and characters, while allows innovation and imagination. They "pull no punches" and didn't try to make this a kiddy show. It became the trend setter for "Superman" and "Batman: Beyond", even though neither can compare.
95 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The real Batman
TheMan305128 June 2002
This program thanks to people like Alan Burnett, Paul Dini, and Bruce W. Timm made this show the most faithful adaption of the Dark Knight ever. This show was brilliant!!!! It had terrific animation, story line, character development, and action sequences. Regardless of weather you're a Batman fan or not this is a show not to be missed.
64 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The way Batman is supposed to be!
Joel1 June 2005
When this series first came out, I was at least eight years old; so of course I wouldn't really understand most of it with this being a drama and all... now I realize that this is the most accurate retelling of the Batman legacy EVER! Starting off, compare this to the horrid series they have created now: "The Batman," where they treat Batman like Superman by wondering who he is... it just doesn't measure up... allow me to explain the differences: one of which being the presence of Ethan Bennet. Who you ask? I rest my case... there is none that I can remember.

Secondly, this one is perfectly parallel to the comics. There's no such thing as the bat-wave in the original, but there will always be the bat signal! Finally, the animation looks as it should. Joker is not in a straight jacket, The Riddler doesn't look like Bono from U2, and every voice actor sounds just like they should.

To sum it all up, this series was everything that "The batman" isn't... and that's a good thing.
46 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best superhero cartoon ever.
Kai-1817 August 2000
This is every thing an adventure show should be. It has action, drama, comedy, tragedy and a truly Gothic feel (fitting that it takes place in Gotham). The interesting thing about the Batman character is that the only reason he becomes Bruce Wayne is to make enough money to fund his Batman work and to help the less fortunate. He's such a tragic character as he's given up a personal life for his parents dream. The stories are wonderfully intelligent and fun at the same time. There are very few poor episodes in this series (but note that their are some). Even lame villains like the Clock King and Mr. Freeze are made engaging and exciting. Ignore the movies and watch the series. Heck, at times it can even be much more realistic than the movies (like in "I am the Night") Some recommended episodes are: "Almost Got 'Im" (a poker game where Bat-Villain recount how they almost killed him), "His Silicon Soul" (a robot clone of Batman is a little too much like Batman too do a computers evil bidding) and "the Man who killed Batman" (in which a small time crook has seemingly killed Batman... by accident)
38 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best form of the tale
AmishCountry0019 January 2005
Grew up with B:TAS, unlike the Mike Keaton, and Val Kilmer movies. Kevin Conroy is excellent and will always be the real Bruce Wayne/Batman. B:TAS is the classic stuff you gotta love, and it beats the heck out of the comics and Adam West any day! Can't wait for DC Classic Collections: Volume 2 of Batman: The Animated Series. If you don't already have it, Volume 1 is outstanding, complete with audio commentary and extras. Plus, now you don't have to get up at 2am to watch it on Cartoon Network(if it's on anymore)!! Batman: The Animated Series, The Adventures of Batman and Robin, and Batman: Gotham Knights best series ever!
43 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Definitive Batman
This and Its decendents "The New Batman Adventures" and "Batman Beyond" as well at the Movies have made an Impact on the way I look at Batman - Silly as it my sound - but I love this Show. Anyone who saw this show - and followed it knows why ! Thanks to Paul Dini and Bruce Timm and everyone else who was involved - You guys rock !
36 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best BATMAN show ever, one of the best cartoons ever.
egan_B2635417 March 2008
When I was a kid in the '90s I couldn't wait to get home from school, grab a snack and get ready for Batman: The Animated Series at 4 o'clock. Not only is this an amazing TV show, but one of the best incarnations of Batman ever. This isn't your mommy and daddy's Batman/Super Friends. I have always loved this show and when it came out on DVD I bought every volume and the animated movies it spawned. I love owning these sets and as I write this I'm watching an episode.

While this show was aimed at kids on the surface it was truly written for adults. It deals with many adult themes and situations. Mobsters, murder, schizophrenia, multiple personality disorder, earning the love and respect of ones friends and family, Bruce Wayne/Batman fighting his inner demons and the need for avenging his parents by fighting all the evil-doers of the world, etc.

While the campy-ness of Adam West's Batman/Super Friends worked perfectly for that show and era, the darkness of this show makes it a masterpiece. Thanks to Tim Burton's Batman this show's dark and sometimes scary themes were accepted by the networks but that is the only thing the two have in common. The action sequences are unbeatable, story lines are fantastic, this is the Dark Knight the way he was meant to be seen. If you are new to the Batman lore than this is a great place to start...here or with Batman Begins.

The voice-acting is immaculate, Kevin Conroy - Batman, Mark Hamill - Joker, Efram Zimblast - Alfred, Bob Hastings - Gordon, and all the others are wonderful as each character, couldn't ask for a better cast. The structuring of every episode was so well executed you couldn't wait to see what would happen in the next minute or by next week's episode. Shirley Walker's scoring is unbelievably perfect for this show, she took Danny Elman's theme and made it her own, while writing a lot more original music for the show.

This show even CREATED one of the most famous and beloved Batman characters ever, Harley Quinn, love and confidant to the Joker.

Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, Alan Burnett, Kevin Altieri, and Shirley Walker along with every other writer, animator, creator worked together flawlessly to make this an amazing show and it always will be.

There aren't enough good things I could say about this show, so I will just stop here.

I AM VENGEANCE, I AM THE NIGHT, I...AM...BATMAN!
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A near perfect Gothic, comic book, superhero, detective series.
Son_of_Mansfield26 March 2005
Batman comes to life in his best incarnation yet with stellar voice work, stunning visuals, rich stories, and the perfect emphasis on the dark knight's detecting skills and humanity. Kevin Conroy, sporting a preppy high voice for Bruce Wayne and a scary low voice for Batman, nails the duality of the dark night. He gives the character edge, heart, brains, and wit. Surrounding Conroy are some great actors with distinct voices who follow his lead. Adrienne Barbeau(The Fog, Escape From New York), Ron Perlman(Hellboy), Ed Asner(Elf, also two other great, but short livid animated series: Spider-Man and Gargoyles), John Glover(Gremlins 2: The new Batch, Scrooged), Roddy McDowell(Planet of the Apes), Richard Moll(House, Night Court, Spider-Man), John Vernon(Animal House), and David Warner(The Ballad of Cable Hogue, The Omen, Gargoyles, Spider-Man) are perfect in their roles as is every other actor. The only major problem with the series is that it is too rich for a half hour. The best episodes are the two part episodes like Heart of Steel, The Cat and The Claw, Feat of Clay, and Two-Face. The series could have used more continuity as well. The bottom line is that this is about as good as can be and a real treat for any fan of Batman.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Batman at his best.
jerekra7 September 2008
Batman the animated series is one of the best cartoon series ever. Originally aimed at young viewers it also is a series that is watched just as much by adults.

This cartoon is different than most other cartoons. It is not just non stop action with no plot. The plots of the episodes from this series were amazingly good, good enough to be used for drama series. The dialogue and voice over work was amazing and the animation always remains the same through much of the series, spectacular.

Batman is well portrayed in this series. He has no tolerance for anyone who violates the law. Relentless, he will not stop until he has accomplished what he sets out to accomplish. Batman has no fear in this cartoon. Bruce Wayne is also well portrayed in this show. He is a more than capable heir who keeps Wayne Enterprises running. Has a great sense of who to trust and what to do.

One of the best things about Batman in general has been his villains. That is true here as well; Batman's villains in "Batman the animated series" are awesome. The Joker and his diabolical evil schemes. The Penguin and his various umbrella weapons. Poison Ivy and how she uses her evil plants against Batman. Two-Face(my personal favorite) and his good heads bad head coin that decides if he does evil deeds or not. The Mad Hatter and his obsession with controlling others minds. Scarecrow and his constant use of fear. Catwoman and her stealth not to mention her feelings for Batman. The Riddler and his mind twisting puzzles. Other great villains in this series are Killer Croc, Harley QUinn, Rupert Thorne, Clay face, and Mr. Freeze.

I found it awesome how Mark Hamill and Roddy Mcdowell are the voices of the Joker and The Mad Hatter respectfully. I have the utmost respect for Hamill and his role in Star Wars and Mcdowell and his role in Planet of the Apes. So it is good to see such notable actors as characters in this show.

In this D.V.D. (volume one) there are numerous great episodes, many of them two parters. Ones that I really like are "Two-Face", a part episode that explains the origin of how Harvey Dent became Two-Face. Also great is another two part episode titled "Feat of Clay", another two parter telling the tragic story of Matt Hagen who became Clayface. But you really cant go wrong with any episodes. They are all great.

This is a great show. Must see. Check out Batman the Animated Series. After watching a few episodes you will see how good it is.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
one of the best animated series ever made
oliver simpson15 February 2008
this animated series is exactly spot on with Batman the voice acting is superb with Kevin Conroy as batman excellent mark hamill as the joker so excellent in my view his best line is in the last laugh when he says "ok boys its play time" i kept saying that for days afterwards Richard moll as two face superb, Paul Williams excellent as the penguin,and the woman who does catwoman as well as the rest of the cast excellent voice acting excellent the episodes are dark, well written, filled with realism, great plot twists and with excellent lines my favourite episodes are two face part one and two, the joker episodes and heart of ice which remains the only cartoon episode that has made me cry it really was excellent and reinvented Mr freeze into a character who is tragic and someone you feel sorry for this series is a triumph for animation you can't hate it in any way
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Greatest cartoon series of all time!
Chris Irving1 May 2017
This was a show I watched as a kid and I remember the dark beginning intro that used to start and the breathtaking episodes that are action packed and always leaving me wanting more. That is the reason this deserves a 10/10 and is the greatest cartoon series of all time. It's great to have a show that is not just for kids as a lot of adults have grown up watching this and still do now, that is what makes it wonderful as you can enjoy it at any age! With great voices like Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill what is there not to love. If you are wanting to start watching a superhero cartoon show then I must point you towards batman the animated series as it is something you can watch over and over again and never grow tired of it.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A definitive work in television animation; a legacy that might remain unmatched
refresh daemon16 November 2008
"Batman", later dubbed "The Adventures of Batman and Robin" and then rebooted to "The New Adventures of Batman" after a couple years of absence, is probably the most significant animated incarnation of the Caped Crusader there ever was. To some, it is the definition of who the Batman is, stripped of the extremely complex and often retconned story lines in the comic. And while some comic book purists may scoff at the PG nature of the show, I think that most viewers, both child and adult, found a lot to appreciate in its surprisingly mature storytelling, gorgeous animation and its lasting impact on both animation and well as the overall legacy of the Dark Knight.

"Batman" was the birthplace of the DC Comics animated universe, which would later spawn additional shows featuring the Man of Steel as well as the Justice League. A far cry from the more lighthearted version of Batman found in the campy old television show, this Batman had a lot more in common with the 1989 film, including its early scoring. However, it wasn't a cartoon take on the movie, rather, it was a synthesized take on Batman, bringing in characters from all over Batman's history and sometimes rewriting their history as well as creating all new characters, some of which proved to be so popular they ended up entering the comic book's universe.

The stories are primarily anthology, with a few two-parters here and there. However, this format works pretty well for the show and somehow, it avoids becoming a "villain of the week" premise by creating some very unique stories even while presenting a villain each week. Even early on, Batman provided a Rashomon-style tale in "P.O.V." with three cops providing their take on what happened when the Batman showed up at a crime scene. Later stories include extended nightmares, fantasies, epics, romances as well as stories that introduce Batman's allies, such as Robin. And although the show is titled Batman, it often is willing to make the Bat a supporting character in exploring the other characters in its universe, to great result.

"Batman" also can't be mentioned without talking about the amazing art. Here is a take on Batman, setting it in a gorgeous strongly art-deco inspired world, which is immediately eye-catching and sets a remarkably consistent tone for the series. Furthermore, one thing you'll quickly notice is that the show is dark. Perhaps in themes sometimes, but especially in color. In the DVD commentary, you learn that the show is actually painted on black instead of white, which leads it to have an incredibly dark overall look, which further helps paint the grim world that the Batman inhabits.

And then there's the acting. Kevin Conroy essentially created what would become what we know as the Batman's voice, alternating between the lighter playboy Bruce Wayne and the gruff growl of Batman. Mark Hamill (yes, Luke Skywalker) also helped create one of the definitive versions of the Joker with a laugh that can't be forgotten. Almost all the acting over the show's long run is remarkable, making it hard to replace these versions of the characters with others, even from the movies.

Halfway through its first run, the show's title was changed and reflected the stronger incorporation of Robin and other supporting characters, but outside of a less interesting title sequence, the show pretty much stayed the same. Then the show ended and the team went on to work on the "Superman" series, but revived "Batman" again in the "New Adventures". This incarnation revamped the art style to be more angular, simpler and sometimes much darker--the Scarecrow especially became rather creepy. The show also changed even more to incorporate extended allies into the story, including a young Tim Drake as Robin, the persistent presence of Barbara Gordon as Batgirl and even the older Dick Grayson makes several appearances as Nightwing. Although I was hesitant to embrace the new incarnation at first, it become clear to me that the storytelling as well as the presentation remained strong, with some great episodes that would stand with the best of its previous incarnation.

Because of its impact on animation and the titular character, its willingness not to dumb down for children, its wise storytelling, its amazing art and the inescapable legacy of entertainment in my life, "Batman" remains one of the greatest animated series that I have ever witnessed. Even today, though its been well over a decade since the show debuted and almost a decade since the "New Adventures" ended, the show remains incredibly engaging. This is definitely a series that endures and perhaps one that I would continue to watch over the years, as an adult to appreciate the depth of the stories and the gorgeous art, and a series that I would not hesitate to share with appropriately aged children. Recommended without reservation. 10/10.
A great "Batman"
dee.reid20 June 2008
I'm a comic book reader. I also watch a lot of television. "Batman" is one of the great shows that has everything we love about the DC Comics character created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger combined with the visual aesthetics of modern-day television. I'm not much a reader of DC's material (Marvel Comics and their Spider-Man and X-Men are my main interests), but Batman ranks as my favorite character from that particular company. While I'll agree that Batman has had a troubled history in terms of television and film (Tim Burton's 1989 "Batman" is my #7 movie of all time and is what got me interested in movies in the first place), I've also noticed that he has a massive base of overly rabid fans, many of whom become sore at the slightest change of the character. Well, this animated series appears to be an animation vision that they can finally be pleased with. Of course, Gotham City billionaire Bruce Wayne witnessed the murder of his parents as a child, and grew up to become the mythical "Batman," the masked vigilante prowling the city's rooftops and taking out crime wherever it rears its ugly head. He's aided in his crime-fighting endeavors by his faithful butler Alfred while also nursing many personal demons. "Batman" carried over the 1989 film's dark and grim tone, the same tone as the comics that inspired it, as well as the revisionist re-workings of Frank Miller (like his epic "The Dark Knight Returns" and "Batman: Year One"), and proved to be a hit with fans and those eager to forget the campy Adam West show from the 1960s. With this darker approach to the character, it's quite easy to forget that this is a children's show, even though it's also quite obvious that it's aimed at a slightly older audience as well.

Regardless, this is a "Batman" that we can all be proud of.

Pure Brilliance
mdilore3 March 2008
This is truly the best animated series ever made. It can appeal to a person regardless of age. The new Batman cartoon cannot compare. Kevin Conroy provided an excellent voice for Batman. The creators bring outstanding animation in a "classic sort of way". There is great action sequences, suspense, character dialogue, and plots for each episode. I can watch these episodes over and over again and not get tired of them. Excellent job on each villain and vigilante. The show also brings out the best in each and every character in the show with excellent acting and voice over. I only wish this series would have lasted longer than it did. I highly recommend this series for any age (over 7 of course).
awesome TV series
kyle-mcdonald30 December 2007
I first watched this when i was about 5 or 6 years old and it was one of my favorite TV shows on the air. The reason why i liked it so much was because the story line was really awesome maybe a few times the story line wasn't as good in some of the episodes but that only happened in only one or two episodes but even those were really good so you can how good this TV show is. Other reasons are the villains are really good such as the joker, Two-face, catwoman, Mr. freeze, etc. all of them are good. Also it has lots of action the voice over actors are really good such as Kevin Conroy as Batman, Mark Hamill as the Joker, Ron perlman as clayface, etc. So I am sure you will not be disappointed with batman the animated series because it is really good. So make sure you watch it on TV or rent or buy the collectors edition because it is really good.

Overall score: ********** out of **********

***** out of *****
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The second-greatest cartoon ever (no prizes for guessing what's number one).
Victor Field5 March 2003
Following the massive success of Tim Burton's "Batman" and "Batman Returns," Warner Bros brought the ethos thus brought to Gotham City's defender to the small screen, and in the process ensured that the true owner of the title "Best Batman Ever" would belong not to Michael Keaton, George Clooney, Val Kilmer or even Adam West, but to Kevin Conroy - he voiced both Batman and Bruce Wayne, and his convincing depiction of both sides of the man (Bruce speaks with a higher, more laid back tone than his alter ego) is only the tip of this show's iceberg.

You knew this was a class act from the opening - Batman thwarting a pair of robbers and leaving them for the police, in a main title all the more effective for never showing the title of the programme (but then, it didn't need to - when we saw him lit up by lightning at the end we got all the ID we needed). Written with care by the likes of Paul Dini, Randy Rogel (whose "Robin's Reckoning" - a two-part story, and a deserved Emmy winner for Part 1 - beats "Batman Forever" hands down in its handling of Dick Grayson's life), Michael Reaves and Marv Wolfman, the episodes may have been in children's slots - although the Fox Network did air some episodes at night initially - but they never treated their subject matter lightly; unlike other attempts before and (ouch) after, Batman, Alfred and the rest actually had dimension, the villains were truly menacing, and they even pulled off the feat of making Robin worth the while. It also wasn't afraid to actually kill people - unusually for Western cartoons - as demonstrated in the episode where Clayface met his end in a rainstorm.

The makers also brought back Danny Elfman's superb Bat-theme from the Burton movies, but only used it over the main titles and end credits - Shirley Walker and her team of composers never used it in their scores (and can I just say that it's a disgrace that Rhino's issued two albums of music from "Batman Beyond" - I refuse to call the show by its idiotic international title - and nothing from the original show?), with Walker's own Bat-theme taking pole position for the movie "Batman: Mask of the Phantasm" (which she scored) and on the TV show from the third season onwards... though on some prints of the later episodes Elfman's end theme has been put on instead. Much as I admire the great man, Walker's music is nothing to be ashamed of (case in point her excellent theme for "Superman"), so I object to that.

The series set new standards for superhero cartoons (yes, I know the Dark Knight doesn't really have superpowers) that, to their credit, Warner Bros has been trying to live up to ever since - but good as "Justice League" is, "Batman: The Animated Series" is the real deal. The later video movies are also a must (I refuse to sit through "Batman & Robin," in part because I doubt it'll beat "Batman and Mr. Freeze: Subzero"). If you really think the cartoons from the couple of decades before this series arrived were better, that's your loss; only one animated series in history tops this. (It's "The Simpsons," obviously. What, you thought it was "The Flintstones"?)
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant series
langsts2129 December 2010
Unlike the 1960s live action Batman series that came before it, this series is actually true to the characters. No shark spray, no Holy (insert word here) from Robin, no running with a giant cartoonish bomb, no fight title cards like bang and bam, etc. This is the real deal. Batman is my all-time favorite superhero and I think that they did a great job with this series. Batman, Nightwing, Robin, and Batgirl are awesome and so are the super villains especially Batman's arch nemesis Joker. The action and animation are very well done. Even the super villains have tragic origin stories. This series introduced two characters that later appeared in comics, Lock-Up and Harley Quinn.
Revisiting my Childhood Never Felt So Good
gigan-9214 December 2010
The opening scene in itself was just astounding, and that was just the first minute of the show! Who doesn't remember this gem? This was my favorite childhood cartoon, ever. And for many a good reason. This show raised the bar so high for animation few if any TV series have even come close to it. Brought elegantly to life by Alan Burnett and Bruce Timm, this show defined all that Batman is, as well as rejuvenating many lost characters like the Clock King and Mad Hatter. The beauty of it all is the intricate story lines, never failing to deliver psychological an involving sequences. The animation was just top notch, even by today's standards. Plus you've got to love the dark color pallet, which only added to the atmosphere.

The creators had a very distinct vision of The Dark Knight, albeit probably a tad inspired by Tim Burton's films, but nonetheless they added their own elements to it, as well as extended the world of Gotham City like eager fans like myself wanted to see so badly. I could not review this without giving praise to Kevin Conroy, Bob Hasting, Loren Lester, and especially Mark Hamil and Ron Perlman. The voice work beats the hell out of many TV shows today easily Shirley Walker delivers a thrilling score for each episode , giving this series the dramatic depth I and millions of others fell in love with.
An excellent animated series
"Batman" it's one of the greatest animated series ever made, and it is possibly the best version of Batman ever made. The animation was quite good, the designs were stylish and well made, the plots were intelligent and the character development was pretty interesting.

The atmosphere of this series was quite dark, like the movies made by Tim Burton, and that darkness fits very well with the spirit of the original Batman comics. All the characters, good or villains were wonderfully portrayed in this series, with intelligent and well written plots. The music is great too, and the opening sequence was memorable.

"Batman" is one of the best animations ever made, and it deserves all the good reviews that it receives. It is simply spectacular.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is what batmans suppose to be
jjwile5 November 2008
Now i have been a big fan of batman since the series came out in the 1960's. I liked that series but i didn't think batman was suppose to be like that. I always though batman had like a dark back round. Like when the comic came out back in the 1940's. It was a dark story, Bruce Wayne's Parents were murdered, everyone who lives in gotham is corrupted by crime and cops are also corrupted. the 1960 series never had this. I still like the series from the 1960s but the 1990s just made it the way batman was suppose to be. I loved it! it was everything bat man was suppose to be and you stil had your classic villains like the joker, the penguin, the riddler and 2-face. This was one of the 1990s better shows.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best, if not THE best, animated shows of all time.
Achoo4224 July 2016
This show was my childhood, and looking back on it now, it still is fantastic.

Highs: For a children's show, you really can't get more complex and sophisticated than Batman: TAS. If you were watching it is a kid, it was entertaining because it's Batman beating up people and escaping from death traps. If you were an adult watching it was entertaining because you can appreciate how deep it actually was. The dialogue is witty, the animation is solid, the voices are fantastic (Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill really shine here) and the stories are very well written, especially ones like "Mad Love".

Lows: Not many. Perhaps it's too dark for a kid's show.

Verdict: One of the best, if not THE best, animated shows of all time. It's up there with One Punch Man, The Last Airbender, and Fullmetal Alchemist, all of which I have watched and loved.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this